• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

disapproved custom chairs

I

ikaika

I made 10 custom chairs. THey were those toad stools. And they disapproved it. I have made it many times before and now they disapporeve it. I lost 800$. Does anyone know why it was disapproved. And how can i get my money back.

M

Monkeybear

What toadstools?

Edit - I see you uploaded a pic, it's probably because Parizad recognises them from TSR and we're not allowed to upload stuff from there.

G

<blockquote><hr>

WHY???

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably to do with the fact that you dont have the copyright to use that item.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

The toadstool is readily available with the Sims Makin Magic expansion. As far as I understand we are able to use and edit any sims object from expansions. You need only edit the toadstool into something original that has not already been uploaded by TSR.

G

If it came from sims makin magic, then he shouldn't have to edit it at all. If he uploads the one from the game, the only people that can lay copyrights to it is Maxis/EA. Even if it looks identical to TSR, if it's identical to the one from the offline version, TSR can not lay claim to it.

L

legscroft

ttl

So if someone would edit a toadstool chair using blue, red, yellow etc polka dots &amp; it looked similar to tsr...They would hold the copyright since they did it first? How will this work with just recoloring objects? First person to do it gets dibs? If this is the case, I really hope we're not losing our money when attempting &amp; getting rejected.

H

Happy Simmer

EA allow us to recolor and reuse EP items, but to blatantly take someone else’s recolor or creation from a website and try to sell it in the game is clearly wrong.

TSR does not claim any ownership of the base files from the EP’s, you can recolor them to your hearts content because EA seem to be happy for you to do that with their work.

What is wrong though, is taking ANY item from a Sims website that has been created by someone else, and recoloring their new textures and shapes. With cash out, you are effectively stealing peoples work to sell for your own profit, and that’s not good.

If you don’t have the abilities, or can’t be bothered to take the base object from an EP and make your own .iff file from it, then don’t just take someone else’s! If you do, don’t be surprised when you find your chairs are bounced back to old ones and your customers are knocking on your door for a refund of the “hot” goods!

R

Roger Wilco

Kind of funny how they correctly disapprove this infringement, but process and approve custom content that is blatantly infringing on other obvious copyrights: Family Guy, Disney, etc.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Kind of funny how they correctly disapprove this infringement, but process and approve custom content that is blatantly infringing on other obvious copyrights: Family Guy, Disney, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
You be so brane.

F

festrmentmagnet

My question hypothetically is:

Let's say you buy some custom content chairs from a store, and use them at your own house for your own decor. Then later on decide to change your decor and no longer wants these paticular chairs. Is it ok then to sell them at your store?

G

Did you get a letter saying they were not approved or are you just going by the object description?

G

I made a custom chair today, got it, even reordered one, gave them to my other sim for a different house, then later on, after erroring out of the game, I got back to a message saying it wasn't approved. Now I can no longer reorder them, and others can't see them anymore, but they could prior to this happening.

H

Happy Simmer

<blockquote><hr>

My question hypothetically is: Let's say you buy some custom content chairs from a store, and use them at your own house for your own decor. Then later on decide to change your decor and no longer wants these paticular chairs. Is it ok then to sell them at your store?

[/ QUOTE ]In TC3, one store used to buy up CC from the stores that created it and sold it on at a higher price.. They even negotiated cheap rates for bulk purchases for that reason, and I don’t think it was an issue. If you buy the goods from a legitimate store, there should be nothing to stop you selling it later at any price. The issue I think you will find, is uploading that content into the game, in by doing so, claiming to have the right to distribute and sell that work for profit.

G

This is what it all boils down to: Do NOT steal other people's designs! You are stealing their hard work.

I think the only The Sims expansion packs that we have not included all the chairs are from Super Star and Makin' Magic. If you upload chairs from those, I approve them and let it slide because really, you guys are saving us work from uploading those items in the future. However, please do not steal other players' designs. Not even if it is from a website that anyone can go to.

Soon ("coming soon"), we're going to be at a point where you guys will have to moderate each other's custom content, and I will be able to bow out.

I'm sorry you feel it is unfair that you lost money because you were trying to upload stolen goods. Think of it as a learning experience.

Edited to add: If you feel like your design was stolen, please shoot me an e-mail or PM me.

N

niwa

I uploaded some pictures to try this custom thing out but they got disaproved. wasted around 2k on them. now im left with signs with question marks. what am i suppose to do with that. if it gets disapproved we should get our money back and you can have your little stand.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I uploaded some pictures to try this custom thing out but they got disaproved. wasted around 2k on them. now im left with signs with question marks. what am i suppose to do with that. if it gets disapproved we should get our money back and you can have your little stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the past week (as of this second), there have been 1626 uploads into EA-Land. Only 113 were rejected. I've been VERY open minded in what I let through (especially the pictures).

So if any pics were rejected, it must've been pretty risque, even for my sensibilities.

N

niwa

ok but what do you want us to do with the stand? i dont see any use to it, but seems like a waste to delete it

G

Funny that something that was approved in TC3 and at first allowed in EAL was later taken away. I thought we were allowed to recolor stuff from the offline game, and always wanted green paint when making gnomes so I recolored the shirt green. Is it inappropriate because it's not meant to be a chair? Can I upload it as a sculpture?

S

Sativa L

<blockquote><hr>

The toadstool is readily available with the Sims Makin Magic expansion. As far as I understand we are able to use and edit any sims object from expansions. You need only edit the toadstool into something original that has not already been uploaded by TSR.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought we could too! I only have Sims 1 and really don't want to buy expansion packs. Can we recolour chairs from our TSO files? If so, where do I find these? If not, are files from the expansion packs and/or tso available online? Maybe EA could sell those files as a package!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Is it inappropriate because it's not meant to be a chair? Can I upload it as a sculpture?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and yes.

That was one of my recent concerns to Luc. How would I know if it is a chair or a sculpture? So on the back end (Ha ha, "back end"), the guys are going to let me see what the upload is.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Can we recolour chairs from our TSO files? If so, where do I find these? If not, are files from the expansion packs and/or tso available online? Maybe EA could sell those files as a package!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, please recolor them. If I've seen someone upload a pink leather sofa (originally EA's chair but recolored), and you do it too, I'll approve. However, if someone takes that same sofa, and skins it with little flowers, and each pillow is a different color, then that is clearly something that they put a ton of effort into designing.

To answer an earlier question: Yes, right now, you would delete the stands if they are not approved. I can see how this would seem wasteful. What suggestions do you have?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Yes, please recolor them. If I've seen someone upload a pink leather sofa (originally EA's chair but recolored), and you do it too, I'll approve. However, if someone takes that same sofa, and skins it with little flowers, and each pillow is a different color, then that is clearly something that they put a ton of effort into designing

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean that the 2nd example wouldn't be approved, or was that a typo? Seems like one that was actually redesigned alot rather than a single recolor would get approval faster than just recoloring it all one color. Am I missing something critical?

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Can we recolour chairs from our TSO files? If so, where do I find these? If not, are files from the expansion packs and/or tso available online? Maybe EA could sell those files as a package!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, please recolor them. If I've seen someone upload a pink leather sofa (originally EA's chair but recolored), and you do it too, I'll approve. However, if someone takes that same sofa, and skins it with little flowers, and each pillow is a different color, then that is clearly something that they put a ton of effort into designing.

To answer an earlier question: Yes, right now, you would delete the stands if they are not approved. I can see how this would seem wasteful. What suggestions do you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Salvage stands for a partial refund on disapproved CC

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the cc or their stands give salvage???

G

we had a lot of laughs when someone was brave enough to sit on that pointy hat

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

5 will get you 10 they were praying for a different result than what they possibly got?

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the cc or their stands give salvage???

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently we cannot salvage any CC.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Yes, please recolor them. If I've seen someone upload a pink leather sofa (originally EA's chair but recolored), and you do it too, I'll approve. However, if someone takes that same sofa, and skins it with little flowers, and each pillow is a different color, then that is clearly something that they put a ton of effort into designing

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean that the 2nd example wouldn't be approved, or was that a typo? Seems like one that was actually redesigned alot rather than a single recolor would get approval faster than just recoloring it all one color. Am I missing something critical?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The second one took a lot of time and effort on someone's part. So if you steal it, it won't be the same as having two people that recolored the same EA designed chair pink.

So no, that is not a typo. Stealing is bad, mmmkay?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The second one took a lot of time and effort on someone's part. So if you steal it, it won't be the same as having two people that recolored the same EA designed chair pink.

So no, that is not a typo. Stealing is bad, mmmkay?

[/ QUOTE ]

*smacks forehead*

I gotcha......misreading on my part. I thought you meant if someone takes an EA chair and completely redoes it with flowers and separate colors, that wouldn't be approved whereas a single recolor would. Yeah, stealing somebody else's work wouldn't be cool at all, even if it was just a recolor if it belong to another individual.

The point brought up about the Disney art is a good one though. I know in graphics design using copyrighted stuff like Disney characters is extremely faux pas, even if you're not doing it for profit. Certain other places will let you use their stuff IF you get written permission from them and can again prove its not for profit.

With 'cash out' in EA Land, any and all CC would ostencibly be for profit since a person can't be trusted to say "I'm gonna sell the simoleans from this CC but not this CC", so I am wondering how people can get away with using Disney copyrighted stuff. EA could say that it's not their responsibility, that the crap would fall on the head of the creator, not them, but since every piece has to be approved by EA whether manually or when its automated, it seems like EA would share some of the liability for copyright infringement.

I

imported_SimTripps

I guess you people don't download/upload cc to the off-line S1 and S2 game very often! It ISN'T a copyright violation if the original creator allows recolors of their stuff, as long as you CREDIT them in the design, unless the designer specifically states that they do not want you to recolor and lay claim to anything. Most designers don't care if you recolor their free stuff, however most DO for objects that are donator or only available for paid members. I have always respected this - it's a code of honor and ethics, and it's a good plug for the designer! Cheers

G

<blockquote><hr>

I guess you people don't download/upload cc to the off-line S1 and S2 game very often! It ISN'T a copyright violation if the original creator allows recolors of their stuff, as long as you CREDIT them in the design, unless the designer specifically states that they do not want you to recolor and lay claim to anything. Most don't for free stuff, however most do for objects that are donator or only available for paid members. I have always respected this - it's a code of honor and ethics, and it's a good plug for the designer! Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that reply directed to me?
That wasn't my issue. I can understand not allowing recolors of any CC in the game....whether TS or TS2 does or not is irrelevant. My question was something else entirely.

But maybe this is a TTL/NOIP post.

N

Newbie Sim

Where are the Disney content you are referring to all the time? I haven't heard of any such issues?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Where are the Disney content you are referring to all the time? I haven't heard of any such issues?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was over in the Pics &amp; Screenshots board that I saw pics of some that were Disney......prints of baby Mickey and Minnie, if memory serves me correctly. If you don't find it there, then the issue is bound to come up sooner or later, either with Disney or some other big-name copyrighted material, be it Star Wars or LotR or PotC or whatever.

N

Newbie Sim

I believe the reason sites like TSR are getting their requests fullfilled is because they actually take the time to protest and voice their copyright rights. If Disney or similar would do the same and actually bother I'm sure the situation would be resolved the same way.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes You did didn't you (i am so brazen) LOL

H

Happy Simmer

<blockquote><hr>

It ISN'T a copyright violation if the original creator allows recolors of their stuff, as long as you CREDIT them in the design, unless the designer specifically states that they do not want you to recolor and lay claim to anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you have that the wrong way around. If a designer states that you can recolor, then go ahead. To assume that you can because they don’t say otherwise is wrong. Permission should be sought. If it’s given with download then fine, but don’t assume its there because they don’t say it isn’t!

I

imported_SimTripps

Dear Lord, CB no - my post wasn't directed to anyone except the subject matter lol...

Happy Simmer, hmmm.... that's what I said, although you've added a good point: never ass|u|me lol... NEVER recolor for public use before reading the creator's policies on this first. If you can't find it, or the designer hasn't added any clauses regarding re-creation, you e-mail them directly and ask. If it's a no go and/or they don't respond, well you're outta luck lol... But if it's yes, then you've got the green light to go ahead.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

It ISN'T a copyright violation if the original creator allows recolors of their stuff, as long as you CREDIT them in the design, unless the designer specifically states that they do not want you to recolor and lay claim to anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you have that the wrong way around. If a designer states that you can recolor, then go ahead. To assume that you can because they don’t say otherwise is wrong. Permission should be sought. If it’s given with download then fine, but don’t assume its there because they don’t say it isn’t!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm......welllllllllll

I see your point about erring on the side of caution, that IS the *proper* thing to do, but in today's time knowing how many people choose not to do what's proper as long as what they do isn't ILLEGAL, then I think if I was a CC designer that paid to have people download stuff from me for free (which most of the big timers do, they have subscribers but lots more people just download the free stuff), I think I'd be setting myself up to take a fall if I failed to include what is and is not OK as far as how my creations can be recolored and/or distributed. By not doing so, they can't go after anybody that does it because for it to be LEGAL it has to be written down. So yeah, they can go on the honor system and just count on people's morality and conscience, but I'm not convinced that's a safe bet in the world today......sad, but true

I

imported_MooMooLand

I got IM that my custom contet has been approved bout 45mins ago, but it still says that its not approved when i click the item in my inventory, and if i take it out i dont see it??? Whats wrong??