• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

DEV's Need To Look into this "BUG"

• Thread starter Darkness187
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Darkness187

So I brought this up about 2-3 weeks ago got alot of hit and nothing came out of it. As I'm Sure this has happened to many people either PvPing or PvMing. But when Holding CTRL+SHIFT and a Player Dies or they're Pet you get a Client Crash. For you to put Ctrl+Shift as a marco to locate corpses as well as players bars or whatever. That causes you get a crash that leads to your death before you come back need some looking into. You add patches for theifs witch have been around for awhile but wasnt there a huge patch for them a while back "DOOM" yet a major flaw in the stability of the client gets over looked for how many years now.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I brought this up about 2-3 weeks ago got alot of hit and nothing came out of it. As I'm Sure this has happened to many people either PvPing or PvMing. But when Holding CTRL+SHIFT and a Player Dies or they're Pet you get a Client Crash. For you to put Ctrl+Shift as a marco to locate corpses as well as players bars or whatever. That causes you get a crash that leads to your death before you come back need some looking into. You add patches for theifs witch have been around for awhile but wasnt there a huge patch for them a while back "DOOM" yet a major flaw in the stability of the client gets over looked for how many years now.
Yeah i get it all the time, its annoying as.

O

Old Man of UO

Which client... 2D or KR?

If you are using KR, you might check out the KR forum for suggestions on improving stability.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You add patches for theifs witch have been around for awhile but wasnt there a huge patch for them a while back "DOOM"
Is that some kind of troll?
I think he's making the point that the devs choose to spend their time on something that can easily wait, while their client's stability is in question.

I personally feel that way. Its not uncommon to have "pixel crack" in a pub in place of actual improvements.

Ideally, they would drop 2d altogether. sadly, a decent amount of UO's playerbase only plays UO becuase their computers are too sh***y to play much of anything else, which makes them not want KR.

but thats just my opinion.

P

Phaheela

I get it happening if i use it too so tend to avoid doing so unless its my only option.

KR v 2D.. Some of us simply prefer using the 2d client. I downloaded KR, fired it up for about3 30mins & was so unimpressed with the so called *improvements* i evicted it from the pc and went back to 2d. 2d is simply a lot more stable & playable.
My comp has no problems at all running KR, i just prefer the look and feel of 2d tis all & there are 100's of others like me.

O

Old Man of UO

I get it happening if i use it too so tend to avoid doing so unless its my only option.

KR v 2D.. Some of us simply prefer using the 2d client. I downloaded KR, fired it up for about3 30mins & was so unimpressed with the so called *improvements* i evicted it from the pc and went back to 2d. 2d is simply a lot more stable & playable.
My comp has no problems at all running KR, i just prefer the look and feel of 2d tis all & there are 100's of others like me.
Don't get your shorts in a twist... I wasn't posting to say "KR is better than 2D," but simply asking which client he was getting the crash with. If you don't like the graphics then you are right, it's not worth the switch. But KR can be made stable and to run faster than the 2D client.

It took a lot of time to figure out how to make KR stable and improve the graphics and macros, and it was mostly out of stubbornness not because I thought KR was better. I've got it to the point now where I don't get ANY crashes at all, it is very stable... AND it runs faster than 2D ever did. Once you figure out how the hotbars work and set your macros, most (but not all) work as well if not better, even using UO Assist (which I use). With the new custom interface that other players made (BB Enhanced specifically) it actually looks awesome now.

I was one that said that I would never switch to KR and my compute wouldn't run it, and even if SA was to be released in KR version only, I was NOT going to switch but quit first! Now that it is stable and runs smoothly, I don't want to go back to 2D. If you don't like the KR version that's fine, but I really think you are missing out of some nice additions and game play.

L

Lord Vader

Let me tell you that 30 mins is NOT sufficient to get used to the KR client. Indeed, you even are right its less stable than 2D at the moment, but it is far more playable. I play UO since Dec 1997 and still love the 2D art and the client, but i forced myself 3 weeks ago to get used to the KR client by using it over the weekend, no switching back to 2D, and now i use it exclusively EVEN tho it crashes sometimes. It was a pain in my ass to set it up for my needs but its so smooth to play and the macro system is far from beeing perfect but already better than the 2D system.

I think its just that (in you own words) "i just prefer the look and feel of 2d tis all" so another client doesnt even have a chance, wich is fine, cuz its your preference. But nevertheless KR deserves more than 30 min to be tested to get the full picture.

P

Phaheela

Maby ive used 2d 10yrs to long. I just prefer its simplicity tis all. no flashy graphics, no annoying hot bars, just the simplicity of key macros, everything looking nice & simple & it being a joy to play on. Thats what does it for me & always has, its what keeps bringing me back to UO.

O

Old Man of UO

Starts to load gun, Its become one of those post again....
Well in all honesty, trying not to.

But there are some things you can do to eliminate the crashing in KR, which is why I was asking which client he was using. And for all those people who have been playing for ten years, surely you haven't forgot how buggy 2D was, and how many times the 2D crashed. Dragon fireball crashes took years to fix.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think he's making the point that the devs choose to spend their time on something that can easily wait, while their client's stability is in question.

I personally feel that way. Its not uncommon to have "pixel crack" in a pub in place of actual improvements.
exactly, it is the same as the lag issue.

L

Lord Vader

exactly, it is the same as the lag issue.
The devs are not the networking department and cant do anything except forward information to the proper department in case of latency.
Especially when its not even a problem on EY/Mythics side, like last time when a internet provider on the east coast caused massive internet problems.

L

Lord Vader

Maby ive used 2d 10yrs to long. I just prefer its simplicity tis all. no flashy graphics, no annoying hot bars, just the simplicity of key macros, everything looking nice & simple & it being a joy to play on. Thats what does it for me & always has, its what keeps bringing me back to UO.
Well, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, as i said before i still love the 2D art, but i also like the KR art alot and now i am used to it. You can do key macros in KR also without using hotbars, no problem. You can switch the graphics back to legacy (except chars and mobs), so you have less flashy graphics. But if youre simply unwilling to change, not blaming you, its your freedom to do as you please.