• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Devs!! If u wany the SA 'new' client to succeed= Then add just one thing!!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im all for new graphics etc and iam willing to give it a roll...Hey i gave KR a fair old roll too....

But guess what u did not include what every old UO player wanted...the old style backpack bag and the old interface ''added'' as an option with the new graphic upgrade!!!!!

Make me happy this time please!!!

F

FongofATL

correct me if im wrong because I'v only played KR a few times but...I thought there was already a way to use the old backpack in KR,

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to my knowledge u cant..u get a silly sectioned up square box and not the awsome open bag that u can arrange to your hearts content....and u cant arrange the spells around the screen interface either...unless im doing something wrong!!!!

R

RavenWinterHawk

Not to my knowledge u cant..u get a silly sectioned up square box and not the awsome open bag that u can arrange to your hearts content....and u cant arrange the spells around the screen interface either...unless im doing something wrong!!!!
actually if the backpacks and containers were exactly the same...
and stocking vendors was exactly the same...

Id play KR 100% of the the time.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to my knowledge u cant..u get a silly sectioned up square box and not the awsome open bag that u can arrange to your hearts content....
You most definitely can get freeform backpacks.
There's a little dot on containers that you can use to toggle between grid, list, and freeform, and there's a section in the settings menu where you can select the default.

and u cant arrange the spells around the screen interface either...unless im doing something wrong!!!!
You cannot freely place spells, but you can pull out a whole bunch of 1x1 hotbars to mimic that nicely (or a bunch of larger hotbars to make it easier to keep things neat and tidy). And hotbars let you stick items and macros in them as well, not just spells and abilities like you could do for 2D and 3D.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

EXACTLY AND MANY OTHERS LIKE YOU AND ME TOO!!!

COME ON DEVS GIVE US WHAT WE WANT!!

R

RavenWinterHawk

EXACTLY AND MANY OTHERS LIKE YOU AND ME TOO!!!

COME ON DEVS GIVE US WHAT WE WANT!!
The packs is an example of taking what worked and changing it to something worse.

Imagine if they didnt change anything but the graphics.

Then they moved to the interface.

DONT bite off more then can be chewed.

Eht/Longbow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree, I hate, I absolutely hate the KR backpack, even with the legacy backpack, it is not like 2D at all, it's very chunky and you can only use about 65% of the area.

I do like the freeform ability, but the background is TRANSPARENT! I can't see anything in it! Get rid of the transperency on the bags, and that would be cool.

I also like to open a chest and see an "open chest" graphic, instead of an open lockbox, or an open pouch, or an open bag, or an open wooden chest. There are seporate graphics for each different type of container, it is so much easier to tell what is in what if you can see what they are in by the graphic. As it is, I prefer the freeform setup, the seporate boxes are useful if you have to find something new in there or see how many of each something is in there, but that's as far as it goes. Scrolling through my stuff sucks; what sucks the most which I've already said is to have the boxes and bags transparent, get rid of that and I might play it more.

Second, what's with the wasted space all over the place, it's like everything is made by fisherprice. The paperdoll takes up nearly half as much room as my play screen does. I don't know about you, but there is no other way to tell if you are disarmed except by watching your paperdoll or listening for the sound, but that could be me doing the disarm too. I think as far as ease of use and flow, 2D looks a lot better because it doesn't look "cramped" KR looks terribly cramped all of the time and clunky.

If these things were adjusted I would be far more likely to actually play it, the graphics are cool, the macro system is better, it's smoothe and actually pretty dang cool. Good job, but it needs some work.

F

Finch

Add to your list, the amount of lag exactly the same and I'd play KR. I can't play it anywhere where I could die, as I lag so bad. My pc isn't that old, should handle it just fine, don't know why I lag so much.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has been a long time since I used the KR client in a place where I died, so this could have changed; but I recall that it had a tendency to lock up when multiple spells (with all their graphic goodness) went off, leaving me paralyzed (not by the spell!) until I was soundly dead.

Give me a way to turn off all the cool spell animations. It is just so much clutter and lag when PvPing. Either that or make them cleaner (a la the old 3D animations - they were "cool" and different for each spell, but they were very clean like the 2D ones, no particle effects).

In fact, particle effect is probably one of the biggest issues I have with KR ... PvP is a fast moving playstyle (in UO) that doesnt really have a place for fancy "pretties". That is why some people use the "stump hack" to remove the full tree and make everything more visible. I personally LIKE the trees, but I can't quite imagine trying to PvP under some leaves, much less MOVING leaves, either. (I always had swaying trees turned off in 3D, too.)

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see the system message exactly the way they are right now in 2d. Bottom left side and disappearing after a few seconds.
Do not mix it all with journal and the rest of the messages !

For stealthers it is impossible in KR to run while stealthing and knowing when to start running again, because the time it takes for the messages disappear is too short.

And yes 2d paperdoll and backpack for the win ! And rearranging backpack exactly like in 2d ..... EXACTLY like in 2d !

Btw, stratics ....... where is my old account ???

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And yes 2d paperdoll and backpack for the win ! And rearranging backpack exactly like in 2d ..... EXACTLY like in 2d !

Kerching!!! Without ''this'' the SA CLIENT WILL LOSE B4 IT STARTS!!

N

Nosuperiors_Damnfewequals

You *can* elect the legacy backpack option, BUT it doesnt work right. Items dont set where you put em, they get too small, it's just a mess!!!

I like the thought of new client new graphics, old interface...complete old interface, and patch in the changes and improvements? over several months, I mean, if ya building the client, build it with the UI that is UO *grins*

And then slowly trick us into changing over, piecemeal. But for Goodness sake, change the way ya make macros, geeez! Don't come back with that KR method, please!!!

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, my, I so agree with the way to make macros! The only thing better than the Legacy way to make macros was the 3D way (the menus dropped down and you did not have to hold-and-scroll, you could drop down and scroll, otherwise it was identical to Legacy).

The big issue with UI changes is that UO is NOT a new game. People have been doing things a certain way for up to 11 years, and completely changing how that is done is NOT going to bring vets over to a new client.

A good example of that is how you move or split a stack of items in Legacy vs. KR. This is UO. Maybe other games don't have tons of objects that stack in piles of up to 60k and weigh at least that many stones, but UO does. It makes no sense IN UO to have to use an extra key to initiate a stack split. The Legacy way of using an extra key in the odd event of wanting to move the WHOLE stack makes much more sense for THIS game.

Paperdoll. Now I don't care a bunch for the Legacy paperdoll (I really liked the look of the old LBR-style 3D doll), but I like the KR one even less. At the least, give us the option between the two. I don't want tabs and slots that I HAVE to interact with, I want to interact WITH THE PAPERDOLL.

I also want my dress to look like a dress, to look like what it looks like sitting in my backpack (even the Legacy client has some trouble with this). Can you imagine playing with real paperdolls and having to go to page 6c and tape your pants there for it to show up on the doll, or having the nightgown you just punched out turn to a ball gown when you put it on the doll??

D

Der Rock

Now that would be something... that and merged uo assist and equal performance as uo2d then I give it a try
read my post´s after Kingdom Reborn
(or as i say in a joky way,the" PB-Premature Birth client) release.

one of them was:
WHY NOT all the best from 2D,all the best from 3D,all the best from UOAssist and UOAM

bam,done,all had loved it.

no need to poke fun at the KR client

L

Locker

I'm sure you vets like what you like but that freeform backpack sucks rocks.

Things are all stacked on top of each other and some of the icons are freaking TINY. Even pointing at a ring in the freeform backpack is an exercise in futility let alone picking it up.

I'm sure you folks have your reasons but I can't for the life of me figured out why you'd prefer a jumbled mess to a nice neat easy to see and easy to manage organizational system.

Shoot, if my wife's closet was like the freeform backpack we'd be days late for work instead of only 20 minutes every day.

I do think it's cool to have both and get to pick. Something for everyone.

Peace,

Locker

D

Der Rock

Things are all stacked on top of each other and some of the icons are freaking TINY. Even pointing at a ring in the freeform backpack is an exercise in futility let alone picking it up.

I'm sure you folks have your reasons but I can't for the life of me figured out why you'd prefer a jumbled mess to a nice neat easy to see and easy to manage organizational system.

Shoot, if my wife's closet was like the freeform backpack we'd be days late for work instead of only 20 minutes every day.

Peace,

Locker
yes,agree u,
the only freeform backpack was the aos 3d backpack, it was the best.
2D is 100% trash

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as the back packs go, as was some what covered already ....

You can have the item display in 3 modes.

The ORIGINAL UO 2D MODE.
The Sloted Mode your talking about.
The Single Line List Mode.

You can choose as a default mode and you can dynamically change it.

As for the Macro's and Hot Key's. Once you stepped back from the visual difference in how to do things, the functional DOING of it was not all that different from the 2D.

My issues with both 2D and KR

2D.
Drop Dead NOT FRIENDLY to the windows environment (other windows programs running).
The Performance difference between windowed mode and full screen mode.
Numerous Old way of doing things that were novel, cutting edge in 1997 that are now obsolete and .... annoying.

KR.
Any screen resolution greater than 800x600 has an increased (per increase in resolution) performance hit.
How to do things are NOT intuitively obvious, BUT once you know how to do things they are simple enough to do. This means that if you made it intuitivly obvious how to do things and retained the efficiency of how to do them, then you create a win/win situation.
Numerous bugs.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The Legacy backpack look and interaction has been in KR since it was released (well whenever CatHat or Grimm added in the Legacy container artwork).

The problems with the interface are that the items do not sit in the same locations as they do in 2d and it IS difficult to learn placements, and the mouse/cursor does not take item artwork offset into account in KR the way it does in 2d, thus when you place an item in the pack, the offset can be a bit tricky.

M

Mayadevi

YES !

The main reason I hate KR is that it doesn't LOOK like UO ! Which makes it not Feel like UO ! The interface would go a long way toward conning me into playing it.

That said...

I don't understand why the artwork is blurry ? It's such beautifully detailed stuff in 2D :coco: In KR it's all blurry and often out of proportion. And items change size when you move them ?!? What's up with that ?

I want rune books that look like rune books, spell books that look like spell books, a paperdoll that looks classic, like the 2d paper doll....Dang, I guess I'll just keep playing 2D

I'd say maybe it's not possible with the new engine, but I've seen pic's of a "Legacy mod", maybe they should just pay the person who created that and include it :p. They could at least use the legacy color scheme !

Overcharging at 2 cents,

Mayadevi

N

nemo

Peace,

Locker
yes,agree u,
2D is 100% trash
QFT :thumbup1:

L

Lord Kynd

Im all for new graphics etc and iam willing to give it a roll...Hey i gave KR a fair old roll too....

But guess what u did not include what every old UO player wanted...the old style backpack bag and the old interface ''added'' as an option with the new graphic upgrade!!!!!

Make me happy this time please!!!
i belive i heard of the wispering radio that they are working on this.
i hope they get it right. it's one of the main reasons i didn't use KR. i dislike WoW very much and saw KR as being a WoW clone mainly because of the backpack/item thing. and the cartoonish monsters.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pfft, KR graphics can you say Pokey and gumby (claymation). The one new graphic I like is the cu.

Moving on........ The KR backpacks dont cut it, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME(at all) No where even CLOSE to being the same.

I found I was spending all my time trying to adjust my UI and no time playing the game. Way too much effort.

I did like kurgan's Silver.

C

Connor_Graham

The Legacy backpack look and interaction has been in KR since it was released (well whenever CatHat or Grimm added in the Legacy container artwork).

The problems with the interface are that the items do not sit in the same locations as they do in 2d and it IS difficult to learn placements, and the mouse/cursor does not take item artwork offset into account in KR the way it does in 2d, thus when you place an item in the pack, the offset can be a bit tricky.
Do you think you could try setting up one of the existing UI's, or possibly a mirror of one, so that it would be "color blind friendly"? I have hell in both 2D and KR in seeing a lot of things that are in backpacks and some containers, due to the dark background of the pack or container. The grid view was a Godsend as it lets anyone with color blindness at least see that there's something in each grid.

Here's a prime example for ya. My very first Crimson Cincture was missed entirely when I was looting my instanced corpse of Mel. The ONLY reason I finally noticed it was there was that I had moved my cursor over the corpse image to close it, and just happened to have it cross an area that had appeared to be completely empty. The CC highlighted for a second as the cursor passed over that area so that I saw there actually was something there. This happened because of the CC being a dark red against a dark brown (which contains tints of red), thus making the CC practically invisible.

That would've sucked if I'd missed it and someone found it in the corpse after it had gone to open looting. :sad4:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just think most vet. players that are used to 2d gameplay!! just want the
2d funtions left alone [as are now] but would be far more wiling to try any graphically upgrade...hey new players can use the newer functions...

Lets just make a ''2d classic'' option for backpack bag and game interface...overlaid on the new graphics...and iam sure it will get a lot more interest!!!!!

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't understand why the artwork is blurry ?
I'm going to hazard a guess that it's because you can zoom in/out in KR, so it's very hard to get the very edge-heavy style of art that 2D has (the 2D art, to someone who isn't used to looking at it, is actually very jarring and painful - our brains tend to react very differently to art in the first hour of playing than after a few years of looking at it)

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not a fan of KR. I have never made any attempt to hide that fact either. The graphics are nice, but the rest of it just annoys me. For me, the client is unplayable.

But... The few times I have played around in there, trying to like it, I have had no trouble with the backpack. Mine looks just fine. Granted it's bigger than the 2D version, but it essentially looks the same. It's shaped like a backpack, it allows me to put my items in the order I want, and customize how it looks. The only thing is it's way too big for my taste.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get rid of the picture in the health bar. Make a nice small bar like in 2d or better yet give me the health bar like in UOA.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Add to your list, the amount of lag exactly the same and I'd play KR. I can't play it anywhere where I could die, as I lag so bad. My pc isn't that old, should handle it just fine, don't know why I lag so much.
You lag that bad because you're not playing on Dermotts computer, silly.

L

Lore Master

yes,agree u,
2D is 100% trash
i agee the old style 3d back pack was the best i say give us that as an option please devs.