• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Developer Town Hall for PvP Issues

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone came up with this idea and I liked it based on my recent posts and how the response has been here so far... I pulled and edited this post.

What if the developers held an in-game meet up, which some may call a town hall, to get more direct feedback? Currently the only method of feedback is sending emails. Unless you get a personal response, it feels like your message just goes into a black hole. You have no idea if the email was even read, if it got added to a list for future review, or even if they are going to make a change next publish.

At an in-game meet up you can also make an impact by just being there. There are also many other things that can be done. For example the developers could implement a method allowing players to vote. They could ask a question with a yes or no answer, players speak their answer, and the game tallys the result. This could be an extremely effective new tool to collect feedback.

Even further, this kind of event could be used to promote UO. If it was streamed live on Twitch.tv, the developers could more effectively communicate their answers. We would all tune in to listen and people who can't be present in-game may have the ability to watch a livestream. You can even watch on your smartphone! There would easily be hundreds of people tuning in to listen. If by some chance it broke 1,000 viewers it could really promote UO in a positive way.

If you want to better convey your thoughts and feelings on PVP issues, I hope you'll support this idea. Other meet ups could be held over a variety of subjects including event moderators, upcoming game additions, etc.

What PvPers would show up to this? I know I would.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think the idea rocks. Implementing seems a little sketchy and Id support for it to be held on a "neutral" shard like Origin.

This way it is less likely to be shard biased and griefing should be considerably less.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the idea rocks. Implementing seems a little sketchy and Id support for it to be held on a "neutral" shard like Origin.

This way it is less likely to be shard biased and griefing should be considerably less.
Hey, you can have the meeting in tram somewhere and squelch spammers. Shard would not matter. Just provide a permanent moongate for the event. You don't need a decked out pvp char to participate in dialogue.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I like the idea of a PVP-themed meet & greet, similar to the formats of other meet & greets. But I disagree with voting on any questions/issues in some type of live-format. There's just too many ways for that to go wrong. I think just having the opportunity to make your voices heard on these issues would be a logical first step before going to route of implementing some type of voting system.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Hey, you can have the meeting in tram somewhere and squelch spammers. Shard would not matter. Just provide a permanent moongate for the event. You don't need a decked out pvp char to participate in dialogue.
Okay, as long as its not on Atlantic I'm okay with it.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's my suggestion:

- Someone draft a questionnaire around UO PvP issues.
- Post a draft of the survey here for feedback/constructive criticism.
- Revise the survey until you get a pretty good consensus that it asks the right questions and will provide valuable/meaningful data to Broadsword to adjust game mechanics affecting PvP.
- Formally send the questionnaire to Rob Denton and Bonnie Armstrong and ask them to post it on a reputable survey site and send secure, one-use-only e-mail invitations to vote in the survey to everyone who currently has an active account.
- Ask Broadsword to publish the survey results on uo.com after the survey period is finished.
- Ask Broadsword to evaluate the survey results and make adjustments to game mechanics if they think it would be beneficial to the future of UO.

I believe the above steps are completely doable. People just have to have the desire to do it.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
PvP town hall is a good idea overall imo..

The squelching aspect is already in place as well. Most of the town halls I have been to have been at Blackthorn's Castle and everyone in the place is squelched except for the person who is asking a question. Any town hall without that squelching aspect (PvP or non PvP) would always be nothing but a griefers paradise.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why does it have to be a special meet-and -great, you do understand that you are free to ask any question you want at the meet-and-greats that are already scheduled. Are you going to ask BroardSword to make a survey when you log in that way all UO players are involved.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here's my suggestion:

- Someone draft a questionnaire around UO PvP issues.
- Post a draft of the survey here for feedback/constructive criticism.
- Revise the survey until you get a pretty good consensus that it asks the right questions and will provide valuable/meaningful data to Broadsword to adjust game mechanics affecting PvP.
- Formally send the questionnaire to Rob Denton and Bonnie Armstrong and ask them to post it on a reputable survey site and send secure, one-use-only e-mail invitations to vote in the survey to everyone who currently has an active account.
- Ask Broadsword to publish the survey results on uo.com after the survey period is finished.
- Ask Broadsword to evaluate the survey results and make adjustments to game mechanics if they think it would be beneficial to the future of UO.

I believe the above steps are completely doable. People just have to have the desire to do it.
Good ideas but have it show at the log-in screen for accounts that have been active for 90+ days, that way all UO players are included.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Maybe there could be a special PvP session in person at the future 20th anniversary event. I think it would be far more productive and constructive in a face-to-face setting.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
more productive and constructive in a face-to-face setting.
Whooooo man... more power to the Devs on that one lol. I ain't meaning to insult anyone but some of the PvP folks out there come across as being errr.. well.... unbalanced to say the least. I would not sit down to drink a cup of coffee with some of them due to how they come across, let alone discuss something with them they are HIGHLY passionate about.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Just throwing this out here. Wouldn't it be better to maybe meet at an area or area where you could "Demonstrate" what you are talking about. So you could Outline the issue. Then Demonstrate the issue

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe there could be a special PvP session in person at the future 20th anniversary event. I think it would be far more productive and constructive in a face-to-face setting.
Why do you have to have a special anything, why can't it just be a UO event where all play styles are discussed?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just throwing this out here. Wouldn't it be better to maybe meet at an area or area where you could "Demonstrate" what you are talking about. So you could Outline the issue. Then Demonstrate the issue
Only if you could prove that the demonstration was not biased just to prove your point.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Why do you have to have a special anything, why can't it just be a UO event where all play styles are discussed?
Just because it allows a focused discussion on a particular topic. There could be other special sessions. This is merely a suggestion. I went to a prior event a few years ago and it was great fun, but the Q&A was scattered and all over the map.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually if you want to do this and show them what is not working and why perhaps it might be smart to hold it on the Test Center. There you could all take your normal characters in your normal daily gear... and show them just why things aren't working. It also might work better given that so many have different playstyles you might all learn from one another as well what is or isn't working in your own technique.
Just saying an open honest discussion on Test would probably get the ball rolling the in the right direction and allow everyone to attend on their normal play characters no matter what shard they call home.

Perhaps you could do demonstrations of the problems at one of the arena's giving many people the opportunity to watch and give input without things turning into a massive brawl... If all goes well you ought to be able to also split into 2 or 4 teams and demonstrate issues with VvV as well.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whooooo man... more power to the Devs on that one lol. I ain't meaning to insult anyone but some of the PvP folks out there come across as being errr.. well.... unbalanced to say the least. I would not sit down to drink a cup of coffee with some of them due to how they come across, let alone discuss something with them they are HIGHLY passionate about.
From what I have have seen of PvPrS IRL the Devs got nothing to worry about, they tend to be the kids that got beat up and their lunch money taken when they were in school. Not trying to be insulting, just what I have observed. By the same token the peaceful pacifist types in game...... Those are the ones that give me concern outside of game :)

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PVP is the same 10 to 20 people on each shard running their mouths in general chat. Pvp will never grow because cheating was never addressed. That's the number one reason theres no one left. Anything they do with pvp is basicly just putting lip stick on a pig. If cheating were addressed it would be a whole new story. You can do anything you want with pvp but its pointless without legitimate players and there are few of them left.

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what I have have seen of PvPrS IRL the Devs got nothing to worry about, they tend to be the kids that got beat up and their lunch money taken when they were in school. Not trying to be insulting, just what I have observed. By the same token the peaceful pacifist types in game...... Those are the ones that give me concern outside of game :)
Respectfully, generalizations like this are rarely true, and what you observe is primarily "smack talk" which is and always has been part of PVP.

People of all natures enjoy and participate in PVP. Plenty of people enjoy PvP some of the time, and do other things other times. It isn't as if everyone who PVPs does nothing else.

Furthermore, if some of the imbalances that make PVP seem less appealing to those who NEVER do it were addressed and given more attention, perhaps those non-pvpers might find they actually enjoy it!

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This thread just reaffirming the bias stratics has against PVP. God forbid we discuss an important aspect of this game. Hell, why would we even bother with those kids "who got beat up and had their lunch money stolen", we all know this is EVERY SINGLE PVPer. Why don't we just scrap this idea and have a townhall discussing new rare items instead.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Except you WERE insulting, to more than just the pvp'ers. Good job.

This thread just reaffirming the bias stratics has against PVP. God forbid we discuss an important aspect of this game. Hell, why would we even bother with those kids "who got beat up and had their lunch money stolen", we all know this is EVERY SINGLE PVPer. Why don't we just scrap this idea and have a townhall discussing new rare items instead.
This. I'm surprised it took so many posts for something like that to pop up. Even
@MalagAste had a good idea! There are things in pvp that need to be fixed, but attitudes like @Tyrath's are why these things rarely get addressed.

Respectfully, generalizations like this are rarely true, and what you observe is primarily "smack talk" which is and always has been part of PVP.

People of all natures enjoy and participate in PVP. Plenty of people enjoy PvP some of the time, and do other things other times. It isn't as if everyone who PVPs does nothing else.

Furthermore, if some of the imbalances that make PVP seem less appealing to those who NEVER do it were addressed and given more attention, perhaps those non-pvpers might find they actually enjoy it!
Smack talk, egos, etc. That was part of pvp in UO years ago, and it still is; it's also present in other games.

UO always has something to do. I haven't done much pvm recently (how many times can you do Shadowguard before you get sick of it?), but if I'm ever in the mood, I just go do it, even if it's just to kill a few greater dragons in Fel Destard.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just because it allows a focused discussion on a particular topic. There could be other special sessions. This is merely a suggestion. I went to a prior event a few years ago and it was great fun, but the Q&A was scattered and all over the map.
Then you would have to allow all UO Players to participate in the discussion as things done to one play style effects all of UO not just a select few. That would also include doing the same thing will all the Asian and European shards because their input and concerns are just as valid as ours are..

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then you would have to allow all UO Players to participate in the discussion as things done to one play style effects all of UO not just a select few. That would also include doing the same thing will all the Asian and European shards because their input and concerns are just as valid as ours are..
Well... yea. How would it not allow all UO players to participate? Do you think they are going to make you duel before they let you in?

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Only on stratics would there be resistance to this.

"Hmm a town hall about PVP... b..bu..but wait, I don't PVP"
"Well i guess this isn't about you then is it?"
"Not about me?! A town hall meeting and it's about something that doesn't concern me?!?! NO BAD IDEA... MODS BAN THESE 'UNDESIREABLES'!!"

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Not intending to be a pita... but.. there have been several Meet and Greets where people have asked questions about the PvP system. They have even given possible solutions to the problems as well... That being said... in all honesty... what makes you think the PvP'ers deserve their own forum dedicated to that situation? Why should the Devs take time to listen to purely PvP related issues when like all of us, their time is limited?

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For a much more focused discussion, like was previously stated. It's just an idea that someone is throwing out there, and a good one at that. PVP happens to be a large area of the game with a wide array of thing to discuss. You can throw out your own idea for a more focused town hall discussion on any outstanding problems you see in any realm of the game, no one is going to tell you it's a bad idea either.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I will agree it is a very complex issues. Tweak X too much and Y is effected.. try to balance Y and you just goofed up B... It is also very hmmm whats the word... maybe speculative maybe?? Or maybe open to interpretation is better... do not think either of those words apply really well but, they would somehow try to find a way to find the truth of the situation. Lots of pvp'ers seem to gripe about how their specific choice of playstyle is in need of buffs while everyone else's needs to be nerfed.. and I do not mean that as an insult.. merely to show the complexity of the PvP deal and how the pvp community somehow needs to get a uniformed conscensus together before trying to get the Devs into the mode of the "fixing" of it. That one sig I see on here from time to time "Please nerf paper it is overpowered. Do not touch scissors it is fine like it is. - Sincerely, Rock" or something along those lines, seems to kinda hold true most of the time in pvp fix discussions... ya know?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My guess is that if enough people ask for this, what you might end up with instead of town hall meeting that not everyone might find convenient to attend is another "PvP focus group." So if you have any thoughts on how well those do or don't work, you might want to say so now.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think at least some of the discussion needs to be in person. I love electronic forums like forums, chat, and video teleconferencing, but nothing replaces face-to-face interaction. Sometimes you need to show something in game with the other person watching over your shoulder and then talk about it around the table.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well... yea. How would it not allow all UO players to participate? Do you think they are going to make you duel before they let you in?
How many PvP threads do we hear you do not PvP get out of our thread and you think a meet-and-great will be no different? You 2nd statement is a lillle childish don't you think?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Only on stratics would there be resistance to this.

"Hmm a town hall about PVP... b..bu..but wait, I don't PVP"
"Well i guess this isn't about you then is it?"
"Not about me?! A town hall meeting and it's about something that doesn't concern me?!?! NO BAD IDEA... MODS BAN THESE 'UNDESIREABLES'!!"
And hear are the responses that we expect to hear.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And hear are the responses that we expect to hear.
There's a difference between resisting any discussion on an important aspect of the game, and someone telling you your input on the topic doesn't matter. No one is saying your input doesn't matter on the topic of PVP in this thread, regardless of your participation in it. What I am saying is that commenting on this and saying "no we shouldn't discuss something I don't care about" is ridiculous and a waste of everyones time. I don't collect rares, I wouldn't reply to a topic about discussing rares and say "NO WE SHOULDN'T BE TALKING ABOUT THIS GUYS, LET'S TALK ABOUT X INSTEAD." Is it really that hard for you to discern the difference?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's a difference between resisting any discussion on an important aspect of the game, and someone telling you your input on the topic doesn't matter. No one is saying your input doesn't matter on the topic of PVP in this thread, regardless of your participation in it. What I am saying is that commenting on this and saying "no we shouldn't discuss something I don't care about" is ridiculous and a waste of everyones time. I don't collect rares, I wouldn't reply to a topic about discussing rares and say "NO WE SHOULDN'T BE TALKING ABOUT THIS GUYS, LET'S TALK ABOUT X INSTEAD." Is it really that hard for you to discern the difference?
lmmfao No where did I say not to talk about it, I just questioned the need for a special meet-and -great to talk only about PvP when you are free to discuss it here and at any meet-and -great you want to. And now you are coming off with the typical PvP BS attitude we have come to enjoy so much around here. But we understand that you think you are so special that you need a SPECIAL meeting all to yourselves. Also could you please show me where in this thread that I have said anything like the BS you are spewing.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A get together to discuss some pvp related topics is not an unreasonable request. Truth be told it is often something that gets put on the back burner and drowned out during the standard meet & greets because often times there are other pressing issues that get addressed ahead of pvp ones, so I can see merit to asking for this. The hitch comes when they try to take some people to fel and the whole thing becomes a bloodbath... good ole human nature at it's finest. If there was a way to put this in a controlled environment, then a lot of benefit can be had for the game.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
This is why we can't have nice things.

To paraphrase a comment a cook made to me about guests coming in and buying food...

"This game would be awesome if it were not for all these other players".

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And now you are coming off with the typical PvP BS attitude we have come to enjoy so much around here. But we understand that you think you are so special that you need a SPECIAL meeting all to yourselves.
And there it is, the stratics bias. You keep proving my point over and over again. Would you even bother resisting discussion about any other aspect of this game other than PVP? What is it that drives you to waste so much time discussing something you don't care about? I wouldn't bother reading a thread on a topic I didn't care about, let alone waste my time arguing that those "pesky PVPers don't deserve anything special". You could have made a topic about ANYTHING and asked developers to have a focused discussion on it, and not a single PVPer would reply telling you it's a bad idea.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
There it is again... You said Stratics Bias. So Frodo is Stratics?

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There it is again... You said Stratics Bias. So Frodo is Stratics?
Well in the passage I quoted he kept saying "WE". the typical PvP BS attitude WE have come to enjoy so much around here. But WE understand that you think you are so special that you need a SPECIAL meeting all to yourselves.

So who is the WE he is speaking of? But thanks for your useless input on this.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And there it is, the stratics bias. You keep proving my point over and over again. Would you even bother resisting discussion about any other aspect of this game other than PVP? What is it that drives you to waste so much time discussing something you don't care about? I wouldn't bother reading a thread on a topic I didn't care about, let alone waste my time arguing that those "pesky PVPers don't deserve anything special". You could have made a topic about ANYTHING and asked developers to have a focused discussion on it, and not a single PVPer would reply telling you it's a bad idea.
Thank you for the good belly laugh and yes you are very very special and need a special meet-and -great to let the Devs know all about your special needs. You do understand that when they make a change to PvP that it also affects all of UO not just the special needs UO Players.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is quite unfortunate that you see it this way. There are many in this thread that think this is a good idea. Feel free to go elsewhere to discuss the topics that are important to you. Yes, I do understand that it affects other people which is why it was stated that all are invited to join in this discussion.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya just gotta love the "SPECIAL NEEDS" players. TY again I really needed a good laugh. Hope your panties don't get to tight.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My only issues with PvP are that:
1. I'm not as young as I used to be and I really hate "panic" gaming... But that's my own issue and not anyone elses and there isn't anything anyone can do to improve that for me.

2. Everyone keeps wanting stuff Nerfed for PvP and it KILLS my template in PvM... but I can't understand why the two have to be connected in the first place... honestly there is all sorts of code for PvP and you know if I'm hitting a mob then I ought to get the full aspects of my template... but sadly they have nerfed it like made to satisfy PvP... Which I find really annoying and everytime I hear people in chat or on the forums asking the DEVs to nerf it some more I get really defensive. I don't want to play a Sampire or a Wammy... that's not my style and it certainly does NOT fit my RP... and I refuse to play flavor of the weekplate. I really enjoy my character the way he is... I don't want to change him... He's already lost so very much.

3. I am simply fed up with the attitudes that come from many folk of late but I chalk a lot of that up to greed and such... I don't like to be in Gen Chat and listen to people cry, whine and moan about who's cheating, who used what exploit and what they are going to do to them, their mother, sisters uncles daughters roommate... Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so vulgar and hateful... and Yes I know how to use the ignore button... though if I put many more on it well... it's so large now I don't dare put any more on... But I prefer to save those spaces for the sale bot that spams every shard.

I have no desire to have PvP removed from the game anymore than I want to have rares removed or housing removed. I get there are loads of playstyles, I just wish that folk take into account that other playstyles do things with those skills too.

Honestly I'd be happy if they did make a PvP shard... focused on PvP and took the Fel out of some of the other shards... but I honestly like my shard the way it is. Fel is there if I want it... and I can leave it if I want to.

I'd like to see lots of things fixed. So I support those trying to fix things they care about just as much as I would hope they would support having things I care about fixed.

I Actually PVP

Adventurer
This again and again. I haven't even been a member of this site for a year and I've already given up on it. There's really no hope of having meaningful or productive discussions on PvP issues here.

Further, in the most recent, drama filled thread, the Mod's here said they have no intention of facilitating discussion. I believe Nexus' quote was something along the lines of, "our primary interest is catering to the Stratics community, not the UO community." ie. we don't give a crap about your play style, we'll shove our play style down your throat, but if you divert too much attention away from our interests, you'll get locked out.

If you're interested in getting pvp issues addressed, shoot me a PM. The dev's contacted me and gave me their emails and I've found it much easier to just talk with them directly.

For those of you that pvp, I'll see you in fel.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
2. Everyone keeps wanting stuff Nerfed for PvP and it KILLS my template in PvM... but I can't understand why the two have to be connected in the first place... honestly there is all sorts of code for PvP and you know if I'm hitting a mob then I ought to get the full aspects of my template... but sadly they have nerfed it like made to satisfy PvP... Which I find really annoying and everytime I hear people in chat or on the forums asking the DEVs to nerf it some more I get really defensive. I don't want to play a Sampire or a Wammy... that's not my style and it certainly does NOT fit my RP... and I refuse to play flavor of the weekplate. I really enjoy my character the way he is... I don't want to change him... He's already lost so very much.
You know, it does no one any good if there are absolutely no details on what was nerfed in your template, that happened to be nerfed because of the "pvpers".

3. I am simply fed up with the attitudes that come from many folk of late but I chalk a lot of that up to greed and such... I don't like to be in Gen Chat and listen to people cry, whine and moan about who's cheating, who used what exploit and what they are going to do to them, their mother, sisters uncles daughters roommate... Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so vulgar and hateful... and Yes I know how to use the ignore button... though if I put many more on it well... it's so large now I don't dare put any more on... But I prefer to save those spaces for the sale bot that spams every shard.

I have no desire to have PvP removed from the game anymore than I want to have rares removed or housing removed. I get there are loads of playstyles, I just wish that folk take into account that other playstyles do things with those skills too.

Honestly I'd be happy if they did make a PvP shard... focused on PvP and took the Fel out of some of the other shards... but I honestly like my shard the way it is. Fel is there if I want it... and I can leave it if I want to.

I'd like to see lots of things fixed. So I support those trying to fix things they care about just as much as I would hope they would support having things I care about fixed.
The chat thing could be addressed, the devs don't seem to feel it needs to be though. I find it interesting that you said you know how to use the ignore button, but you prefer to save those spaces for "Sale bots"... you know, probably all of those bots are on 14 day trial accounts, do you remove them from your ingore list to add more of them later?

I'd go to Meet & Greets/Townhalls that were pvp focused or even a Focus Group would work, except it can't be a focus group without at least some pvpers in it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You know, it does no one any good if there are absolutely no details on what was nerfed in your template, that happened to be nerfed because of the "pvpers".

The chat thing could be addressed, the devs don't seem to feel it needs to be though. I find it interesting that you said you know how to use the ignore button, but you prefer to save those spaces for "Sale bots"... you know, probably all of those bots are on 14 day trial accounts, do you remove them from your ingore list to add more of them later?

I'd go to Meet & Greets/Townhalls that were pvp focused or even a Focus Group would work, except it can't be a focus group without at least some pvpers in it.
Well whenever focus groups and things have formed in the past to discuss things it seems to me they wind up largely made of people who don't really PvP... I think much of the problem with that lies in the idea that because you live on Siege you must PvP which is a lie. There are a great number of people who live on Siege and don't PvP at all or haven't in a great many years... The other thing that limits actual PvPers from such groups is their own behavior. The DEVs want a group that is civil and can carry on a serious and meaningful conversation without it devolving into a frenzy... which we all know that many of those who PvP seem to have issues with having a civil discussion. So often times they are either thrown off the group or are simply ignored because they lack the ability to communicate without slinging insults. Sadly the issue with PvP requires folk who are willing to have a civil and rational discussion about something that is never associated with civility or rationality.

I think for any real progress to take place people have to learn to set aside the petty squabbles and blames and work together for a common goal... which is to promote a far better environment to enjoy. One other thing that needs done is that people have to be willing to expose and close exploits and hacks... so that the DEVs can stop them... but again that takes a pretty high class of character one that many just fall short of.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Well this thread devolved quickly, which is a shame because it was a good idea.

At this point I'd settle for even a mention of something about pvp in a regular meet and greet (without being shunned).

Generally its about the art work or some random widget wasn't widgeting enough or something.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe that if you want the Broadsword team that works on UO to agree to any kind of group discussion of PvP issues, whether in a closed focus group, a face-to-face town hall type of meeting, or an in-game meeting, you need to give them an organized list of topics that will be discussed. I really don't think they are going to commit to doing anything for a "meeting" without first knowing what people want to discuss and then having the opportunity to set some parameters around the discussion and do their own preparatory research, if necessary.

Someone needs to start a list of categories for a discussion and then start fleshing it out with specific questions and suggestions for improvement for each category.

Here are some categories I can think of that might be of interest to players who like to PvP in UO:

- Buffs and debuffs
- Caps/limitations/timers and bonuses
- Weapons/weapon specials
- Spells
- Skills and masteries
- Bugs/broken game mechanics
- Hacks/exploits
- Use of pets/summons in PvP
- Reputation system
- UO client improvements to replace use of third party programs
- MyUO section of uo.com website
- Guilds and alliances
- Communication mechanisms
- VvV system
- Arenas or other places designed to encourage PvP
- Broadsword-sponsored events to encourage PvP
- Routine incentives or rewards to encourage PvP

I'm sure those of you who regularly PvP can probably improve that list of categories and quickly start coming up with questions and suggestions for each and every one of them. You just need to get yourselves organized and do it!