• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dev´s,why u always wag the dog?

D

Der Rock

new bosses,
new landmasses,
new dungeons,
new spells,
new skills.....

hm, how many more abandoned places u like to produce???????

do u realy (i mean REALY) beleave, that all these NEW things will not be abandoned after a handfull of month after SA release???

do u realy beleave u can bring new player to uo with new and newer stuff like this?
ML... abandoned ,SE.. abandoned, brought this 2 expansions more player, long dated?
NO
also will gargoyle land be abandoned after a while.

WHY??? u ask why???
because we dont need new landmasses, we NEED the things we have already REPAIRED
so we can tell other people we play a game that works.
ingame mechanics are broken or messed up.
player dont close acc because they have no room to play,

Repair KR, and if 95% of the playerbase say´s KR is good, then close this 2D cheater trash
and THEN annonce SA for the MASSES.

again, the news from townhall dont impressed me,
hurry up and tell us when KR is ready.dont let us wait
(in german we say -bis zum sankt nimmerleinstag-)
means : until the cow come home.

P.S. jeremy one answer from u was, that it is not clear if the modders UI will work in SA-KR
so i HOPE u dont take the wind out of so´s sails from the modders, because we like what they do and we NEED what they do.

E

Eslake

Repair KR, and if 95% of the playerbase say´s KR is good, then close this 2D cheater trash
The day they close 2D, the script programs the cheaters are using will be changed to work in KR within a few days.

That aside, they have abandoned KR, it will now be redesigned to be the SA client.
That is why they couldn't say if things made for KR would still work, because they don't yet know how much they will have to change.

As to "trash," KR is no great leap. It uses the same game engine as this..

If they put in the effort to make it that good, then I would consider KR a success. ;)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As the person who was spamming the modding question... The main thing that I wanted to know is that even if we have to start over, will we still be able to continue the work we have been doing.

I fully expect a wholesale revamp of KR into the SA client will end up "breaking" what UIs we have in the works right now as they make changes to the UI files. We know we'll have to update or start from scratch, and I for one am fine with that.

I just want to know that we'll be able to because as much as the devs WANT to be able to cover everything, it's easily apparent that it's simply not likely in a game with the scope of UO and if there's something we CAN add to the game, then we want to be able to do it and do it via a legal process.

R

RenaLynne

new bosses,
new landmasses,
new dungeons,
new spells,
new skills.....

hm, how many more abandoned places u like to produce???????

do u realy (i mean REALY) beleave, that all these NEW things will not be abandoned after a handfull of month after SA release???

do u realy beleave u can bring new player to uo with new and newer stuff like this?
ML... abandoned ,SE.. abandoned, brought this 2 expansions more player, long dated?
NO
also will gargoyle land be abandoned after a while.

WHY??? u ask why???
because we dont need new landmasses, we NEED the things we have already REPAIRED
so we can tell other people we play a game that works.
ingame mechanics are broken or messed up.
player dont close acc because they have no room to play,

and THEN annonce SA for the MASSES.

again, the news from townhall dont impressed me,
hurry up and tell us when KR is ready.dont let us wait
(in german we say -bis zum sankt nimmerleinstag-)
means : until the cow come home.

P.S. jeremy one answer from u was, that it is not clear if the modders UI will work in SA-KR
so i HOPE u dont take the wind out of so´s sails from the modders, because we like what they do and we NEED what they do.
I think its possible to do both. Fix the problems we already have and release new content. This is what they do for a living. Dont sell yourself short.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While we do not really know what exactly SA will bring, I second that. I always said that the existing landmasses should receive some updates to make travelling more interesting, instead of creating new lands. Britannia alone offers so many possibilities, 12 of its 16 dungeons are empty, the landmarks are permanently deserted, no player bothers to travel across the land. Everybody just recalls between New Haven, Melisande and Destard.

Have you ever done a dangerous dungeon with a group of people ON FOOT? I recommend to try that, it is a lot of fun taking your time to explore things. With the landmasses it would be the same thing, if they would be more interesting, contain secrets, quests and challenging things.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know SA is not done yet and we still have lots of time left to influence the design. Mentioning things can have an impact on how the expansion goes for once.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know SA is not done yet and we still have lots of time left to influence the design. Mentioning things can have an impact on how the expansion goes for once.
yes you are right. i'm just stating facts. they are not going to let us see the game before it's pretty much done.

L

Lily

The day they close 2D, the script programs the cheaters are using will be changed to work in KR within a few days.

That aside, they have abandoned KR, it will now be redesigned to be the SA client.
That is why they couldn't say if things made for KR would still work, because they don't yet know how much they will have to change.

As to "trash," KR is no great leap. It uses the same game engine as this..

If they put in the effort to make it that good, then I would consider KR a success. ;)
You realize that they HAD to make it look the way they did so 2D would work alongside it, right? Now they're well on their way to making the SA expansion LAMER for KR so 2D client users can go in the expansion too. They can't have what YOU want without unloading 2D completely.

Lily

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im for new lands and stuff, but the problem is they give us new lands then they over populate the spawns so we cant go there.

i dont want to die as soon as i walk through the gate.
:(

D

Der Rock

DEV´s, why can´t we get the NEW SA UI at first in the KR client, why we have to wait
(IF, we wait another 4-12 month at all) till SA-KR is completly ready ??

u KNOW what´s wrong with the KR client since release.

how did u start the rebirth of the rebirth?
designing new gargoyle housetiles?

the NEW UI is the A+O for UO!

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your post is at odds with reality, at least on LS.

Doom is still done. The Samurai Empire dungeons and overland spawns are still worked. Peerlesses, especially Lady M., are still worked. The ML dungeons are used, even apart from the Peerlesses.

Yes, the level of activity at all of them has gone down from when they were brand new and shiny.

But, consider that the levels of activity for everything in the game wax and wane.

Let's take the Doom Gauntlet as an example.

The Doom Gauntlet was quite popular, then it was empty for a long time, and was only worked when a few people (a guild, or a community effort) got together to do it. It wasn't done spontaneously by spontaneous groups. Then they changed the artifact getting system, and it became lively again. Then the event content hit, and it emptied out. Now that we're in-between event content issues, it's lively again. Waxes and wanes.

So what will happen with the SA content? It will be populated to the point of lag for 6 months or so. Then it will thin out, and people will work it when they need or wish to, for whatever reason. It will be absorbed, become part of the landscape.

Then, some artifact that was dismissed at first will suddenly be considered to be of great value in PvP. ("Dude, have you seen the damage you can do with the Pickaxe of the Gargoyle King in combination with Bushido and Throwing and Death Strike?")

Then it'll become super-popular again, and people who have been doing it all along will become annoyed with the sudden influx of noobs who don't know what they're doing.....Etc, etc.

And frankly I see little, or nothing, wrong with this pattern. Like it or not, though, it is simply not the same as what you describe.

-Galen's player

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You realize that they HAD to make it look the way they did so 2D would work alongside it, right? Now they're well on their way to making the SA expansion LAMER for KR so 2D client users can go in the expansion too. They can't have what YOU want without unloading 2D completely.

Lily
While I understand they didn't push the KR client in new directions (new camera views and such) to keep the experience in line with the 2D client, that really isn't an excuse for mediocre art. Imagine the 3D models from any game with decent art. Now imagine that you fix the camera so you are only looking at the model from a certain angle. Does the art automatically suck when that happens? No, it doesn't.

R

RavenWinterHawk

I agree with Der Rock.
Is this another. OH here it comes. Only to be disappointed.

Sometimes its worth polishing what you have and adding to it.

Ill be hopeful. But Im feeling like Ive been through this before.

I dont want more houses.
I dont want new bosses.
I down want things to craft that flood the market in a week.

Build on the strength of the game.

My point.
Imbuing. SOUNDS GREAT.

Why not just add that now. Why pile it in to a new land mass and all that stuff. It seems like EA bites off more then they can chew. And when it comes time to deliver well... its lacking.

D

Der Rock

I agree with Der Rock.
Is this another. OH here it comes. Only to be disappointed.

Sometimes its worth polishing what you have and adding to it.

Ill be hopeful. But Im feeling like Ive been through this before.

I dont want more houses.
I dont want new bosses.
I down want things to craft that flood the market in a week.

Build on the strength of the game.

My point.
Imbuing. SOUNDS GREAT.

Why not just add that now. Why pile it in to a new land mass and all that stuff. It seems like EA bites off more then they can chew. And when it comes time to deliver well... its lacking.

I wonder why not more player have a Dejavu feeling like i have atm.
hey Folk
Remember the time they released THE SECRET in a townhall
(a townhall that no one should miss)
A brand NEW client
called Kingdom Reborn.
and the days and weeks after the townhall, stratics was full of Dev posts
Remember the words from the past.

its all the same NOW

(my personal feeling about that all is: sure, they CAN expand the life time of UO for maybe another 10 years. but i dont call it expanding, i call it stratching.)

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are wrong. The game needs new stuff to survive.

I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for friends and 9+ years of time and effort already put into the game. The facts are this game is lacking in what it provides when compared to all other MMO's.

R

RavenWinterHawk

You are wrong. The game needs new stuff to survive.

I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for friends and 9+ years of time and effort already put into the game. The facts are this game is lacking in what it provides when compared to all other MMO's.
Im not saying it doesnt need new stuff.
Im saying it doesnt need the stuff they are creating.

Lots of suggestions here are beyond the drool we get of
new houses
new boses
new crafts

Those are nice. But its the same old same old.

People are much more creative on the boards with game additions that are much better then a new craft to make that runs its course in a week.

Or a new boss monster that eventually gets powned by solo players that figure out they can stand in a small space and cast away etc.

Its not very creative.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ummm Mondain's Legacy DID use existing land mass. Heartwood? Why yes, you'll find it right smack dabbers in umm Yew. Wanna do some hunting? Heck head on over to Nu'jelm where under a desert you'll find it can actually get quite cold! Hate the undead? Battle Mariah in the crypts of....Umbra!

None of these places and then some have been abandoned by me anyway. Wanna hunt some legacy dungeons with a group? Hang out on LS on a Thursday night....and so on and so forth....because it is what we make of it.

Bring on the SA expansion and the new client!
*wishes the expansion pack came with an expansion of our collective minds*
*grins*

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Closing the 2D client would cause a massive exodus. You and EA would both be surprised what the actual drop in numbers would look like. I for one will NEVER use the KR or SA client unless it undergoes a MAJOR revamp. I just flat out do not like the client. And I don't know where you got your stastics from, but I don't think it's even close to 95% of the playerbase who says KR is good.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Closing the 2D client would cause a massive exodus. You and EA would both be surprised what the actual drop in numbers would look like. I for one will NEVER use the KR or SA client unless it undergoes a MAJOR revamp. I just flat out do not like the client. And I don't know where you got your stastics from, but I don't think it's even close to 95% of the playerbase who says KR is good.
He said repair it first, then close it when 95% of the playerbase likes it... Not close it now... :/

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im not saying it doesnt need new stuff.
Im saying it doesnt need the stuff they are creating.

Lots of suggestions here are beyond the drool we get of
new houses
new boses
new crafts

Those are nice. But its the same old same old.

People are much more creative on the boards with game additions that are much better then a new craft to make that runs its course in a week.

Or a new boss monster that eventually gets powned by solo players that figure out they can stand in a small space and cast away etc.

Its not very creative.
Until such a time as we are not limted to 125-150 total HP to our characters all boss' are gonna be the same. It's never going to change. They can't become much smarter or more powerful. They can only put a new skin on them and hope people like the experience. It's how it's gonna be until that is dealt with. Not too likely to happen either.

That being said we still need the feel of something new. Whether it's reskinned or not doesn't make any difference. The experience and loot will be a change. This game is starved for content and fixing what should have been fixed years ago isn't going to keep people from going to other games.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He said repair it first, then close it when 95% of the playerbase likes it... Not close it now... :/
You're right, I misread that part. Even still, I can't ever see 95% of the playerbase liking the 3D client.

E

Evilminion

I'm all for dog-wagging, at least of this variety.

New content brings in new players. New content brings "retired" players back to see what all the fuss is about. And a whole new landmass is pretty darn intriguing, so current players who may have considered retiring will likely stick around to play with the new toys.

Once again, I also applaud the decision to make the new expansion 2D-compatibile, since that's my preferred mode of playing. With lots of input from the folks who play and enjoy KR, I'm sure the new SA client will also be an improvement.

Basically, I'm really looking forward to this expansion. :D