• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Detect or Tracking???

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I have been messing around with all types of thief templates lately. So on Siege the toughest part of a thief is finding marks, not things to steal.

Sure, there are the common locations for the players to show up, but I've always been one to run around the shard looking for people as opposed to waiting for them to show up.

Over the years, players on Siege have started adding hiding and stealth into their templates so it's even tougher. We don't have passive reveal (not complaining about that) and with everyone stealthing from hunting spot to house to bank it can be days between seeing another player. So years ago, I GM'd both tracking and detect and from time to time I run around with both in my template.

I'd rather keep one so I can use those points on other skills. Here's my question...

Which do you find more useful? Detect or Tracking?

Yes, detect is awesome for revealing characters sitting still (afk) but tracking is a nice way to find those players who are on the move.

So what say you?...la

Pignasty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I run GM detect. Henry is human, and I find that JOAT and the tracking bonus from detect works pretty well to find and follow marks. With just tracking, I could follow but not reveal marks, which was obviously frustrating. I love the context menus for myself, but hate when everyone else uses them. Heh.

Detect also has the added benefit of passively alerting you to traps on dungeon floors. I get revealed at champ spawns by my own misstep far less frequently now ^^

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do like seeing the traps in the dungeons and with detect, you have a near 100% to reveal any pet or tamer who is working a spawn (to get them to die, lol)...la

Ru TnT

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think detect is the most useful. If you do happen to come across evidence of someone out in the wild, most of the time you can figure out where they are without tracking.

Since you are human, I'd say to see if 0.0 tracking is enough for you. I've had reasonable success with 5.0/10.0 tracking on my elf thief, but I'm not sure how that would compare to human JoAT. If I had to choose between the two skills for my thief, I would pick GM detect. Or possibly some combination of the two, 50/50, 40/60, but that would mean training them to odd levels to find something you're comfortable with.