• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Despise now usless waste of space?

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I am on Atl the most populated shard and I went into despise to see if I could go kill Andros with my conscript.

Sat around for over and hour and I was the only one there.

This now needs another of the major adjustments to allow it to actually be played, and not just the few who do it during prime time.

Don't give me crap about getting or finding others, I tried but its novelty has completely worn off.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see people in Gen chat on ATL talking about Andros all the time. It might be as simle as logging into Gen Chat and telling people to come....

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It may be just me but I think that Despise will fall from favour simply because of the length of time it can take. By contrast Navrey which takes much less time is still well populated most of the day.

Another thing which will inevitably detract from its popularity is the ease with which griefers can and do operate there.

Last edited:

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I am on Atl the most populated shard and I went into despise to see if I could go kill Andros with my conscript.

Sat around for over and hour and I was the only one there.

This now needs another of the major adjustments to allow it to actually be played, and not just the few who do it during prime time.

Don't give me crap about getting or finding others, I tried but its novelty has completely worn off.
Probably the person who was in there had the attitude as you and thought ill go kill andros solo as i can be bothered with finding others thats why they took so long!! D

Thunderz

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It may be just me but I think that Despise will fall from favour simply because of the length of time it can take. By contrast Navrey which takes much less time is still well populated most of the day.
Navrey can be solo'd, too. Not sure if you can solo Andros.

I said it before, I'll say it again, Andros' HP needs to scale based on total players. Maybe the reward chance could scale as well, so a person could solo but maybe not have as great of a reward chance, as to prevent farming but allow gameplay without hurdles.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You might try jumping on General Chat. It helps to let people know that you're actually looking for someone to team up with as opposed to just sitting there hoping someone walks by.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I know folk are always asking about it in Gen Chat on GL. And I know people are doing it quite frequently. Not me I quit early on when I figured out that no matter what I wasn't going to ever get a drop much like Doom so I find it to be a total waste of my time. Rather do something more productive. But others seem to have good luck with it.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hum general chat eeek, but perhaps ill give it a shot, I do get Spell Weavers, I just HATE listening to the PvP weinies.

TY

erreth

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been there on and off all week, at all sorts of random hours since my play time can vary from day to day, and only 1 time can I recall that no one was there. This is on Atlantic btw, and I am seeing Andros runs being called out at various times as well in general chat. Even at shard down one night myself and another guy were hoping to squeeze another attempt in.

BTW can't you also monitor the Party power level on the orb to determine if someone is already down doing Andros? As in if it shows like 250 power level and you're the only one around someone is already in there fighting him.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
unless they changed something the orb shows the army conscripted for the next battle

erreth

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems I've been down there and it shows like 3xx points and no one is around. Then it drops to 100 or whatever my lone guy would be, short while later I get the Call to Arms, sometimes other people show up after the drop so I assumed they were returning to do it again. I could be wrong though, thats just what I have noticed.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Despise was the one old-school dungeon that actually got used, by leather farmers and anyone who wanted to train a new character without mindlessly beating a golem. Now it's ruined for the sake of another flash-in-the-pan gimmick (That weird maze in Wrong was forgotten two days after it came out!) and replaced with some crappy Haven dungeon with a fraction of the variety in monsters.

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Despise was the one old-school dungeon that actually got used, by leather farmers and anyone who wanted to train a new character without mindlessly beating a golem. Now it's ruined for the sake of another flash-in-the-pan gimmick (That weird maze in Wrong was forgotten two days after it came out!) and replaced with some crappy Haven dungeon with a fraction of the variety in monsters.
....I don't even know where to start with this. Can we all just agree to pretend he didn't say anything? It's scary when someone comes across as so narrow-minded and ignorant that you have to take a moment to figure out if they're attempting sarcastic humor.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Enjoy New Despise. I can't bear it, the mismatched black stones in the "evil" area, the trees growing out of solid rock in the dark in the "good" area, the UI confusion over whether you're getting "crystals" or "hearts". It just really reeks of a sloppy freeshard project. I still haven't seen one single person using ephemeral gear, so I dunno what the point of that stuff even was.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Enjoy New Despise. I can't bear it, the mismatched black stones in the "evil" area, the trees growing out of solid rock in the dark in the "good" area, the UI confusion over whether you're getting "crystals" or "hearts". It just really reeks of a sloppy freeshard project. I still haven't seen one single person using ephemeral gear, so I dunno what the point of that stuff even was.
Then go to fel and enjoy the unchanged version...no one is stopping you.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
They put New Despise in, and there was two weeks of screaming about griefing and then all talk of it died out completely until this thread about what a waste of space it is. No, fine, great, it's a big hit.

If a new feature being greeted with "THIS IS STUPID" and then silence is a sign of success in your little world, what does a flop look like to you?

Last edited:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They put New Despise in, and there was two weeks of screaming about griefing and then all talk of it died out completely until this thread about what a waste of space it is. No, fine, great, it's a big hit.

If a new feature being greeted with "THIS IS STUPID" and then silence is a sign of success in your little world, what does a flop look like to you?
This thread actually reads like people do in fact hunt there, quite a bit actually. But then again you also can't judge how often a dungeon is hunted in by how much people talk about it in a forum, lol.

But again, if you hate it so much, go to fel. Its unchanged there. I think you can still find Ogre Lords there on the bottom level outside of the Champ Spawn area.

Last edited: