• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Designing A Fortress?

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello,

I've been toying around with different ideas for a fortress-looking home, and am wondering if anyone has any design ideas or advice I might steal off you? We're going to be having a roleplaying war in a couple weeks, and the plot overlooks a strategic overland location that might come into play, hence the desire for such a design.

Also, many years ago, I saw a screenshot where a player had built a catapult using two looms, a basket, and a few other parts that I can't remember. Since this account currently can't use a cannon, I was hoping to stick a catapult or two in the design. Anyone know how this is done?

Thanks!

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, so fortress like drawbridge/lots of turrets and grey stone walls? Maybe a little area with jail cells? Arrow slits in the walls? Not that UO has drawbridges yet, but you could always perch a cauldron over the door. :)

I might do a mock up of my idea of a fortress tomorrow if I have time, sounds like fun. And making a catapult, I've never seen one in UO, I think that would make for an interesting project as well. :D

S

Stupid Miner

One slightly lousy catapult design by yours truely, and...

One Orc Fort that I designed several years ago (Orc Temple Technically), and...

The exterior shot to probably one of my most disturbed house designs. :D

Have fun repelling invaders and what not else

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh, so fortress like drawbridge/lots of turrets and grey stone walls? Maybe a little area with jail cells? Arrow slits in the walls? Not that UO has drawbridges yet, but you could always perch a cauldron over the door. :)

I might do a mock up of my idea of a fortress tomorrow if I have time, sounds like fun. And making a catapult, I've never seen one in UO, I think that would make for an interesting project as well. :D
the draw bridge could be down, and that could be built by using the wooden floor tiles.

S

Stupid Miner

Oh and don't forget to take tours of Castle British, and Blackthornes Castle, and the Juka Fortress, and Terathan Keep.

Some of the best House designers are the ones who made UO :D

Ooo, you could always go for a fortress built into a mountain-side design. Requires a lot of level 1 rocks and daily rare rocks and dull copper granite.

Perhaps built into a volcano? and you could easily make a lava moat to go with it.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Hi!

Some ideas from 2 houses I designed for friends.

The first is called the Fortress of Fear (yes, the same Fortress of Fear featured in my fictional story on the Atlantic forum).

I had so much fun designing this house that it inspired me to create a story around it.

Anyway...here are some pics...

On the right side is the guard tower. There used to be a gate, but we changed it last minute...I still think the gates should have stayed :D

This is the bottom floor obviously. You can see the courtyard area here, and into the bottom room on the guard tower. You can also see a stable. As you will see on the pics of the other house, this should actually be switched with what I did on the bottom floor of the other house. Anyway...

There is a bridge from the main building to the guard tower on the second floor.

This balcony was added later by the owner. I like the design...it was something I did in the next house you will see that the owner liked, so he added it.

There are teleporters that lead to the various rooms in the guard tower. I wish there had been room to add ladders instead.

That's the Fortress of Fear. Let me know if you want to see it in person anytime...its on Atlantic.

The next one I did because I had so much fun doing Fort Fear that I just had to do another large fortress type house. It's called Ravenmoor...named for the owner.

You can tell this one was sort of influenced by the Fort Fear design. I wanted to make it a little less dreary and ominous though, so I used rounded corners and left the gardens more open.

It's not deco'ed on the inside, so I stuck to exterior shots.

Well...except this one, because I wanted to show what the bottom floor of Fort Fear SHOULD have been done like...a dungeon!

Anyway, hope these spark some ideas for you!

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok Morgana! I just finished an 18, and you post those! Ack! Very well done!!!

I may copy, ha! I will someday if that is ok.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok I finally hopped on test center, this is a pretty simple design, but maybe something will give you an idea. I like of liked the walls for patrolling, and of course there are three cells on the ground floor, a big ol weapon storage room (or whatever) and an outside patio area for training. The archways are probably impractical so those could be walled up, but I think archways are just so pretty *girly swoon* :p

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've currently wrapped up a design I like. The bottom floor resembles Morgana's Fortress of Fear, save that I chose a different type of stone and made it more square. Considering the position of the fortress and its ultimate function, having some sort of road or path there is actually perfect.

I will try to post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.

R

Rainfo X

Wowzers! Some of these are really impressive. Way to go!!!!!! :thumbsup: