• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Design FEVER

C

Caelas

Oh dear, the best and worst part of the game has hit me...

Design Fever!

I can't figure out for the life of me what I want my house to look like! I've looked through the stickies here, on other sites, even pictures of real houses, and be darned if I can figure out something cool and unique!

I'm sure some of you have has the same ailment...please, share the cure!

F

feath

what i've done, is pick a favorite, or interesting, historical time that i like. then i google photos from that time, looking for something that catches my fancy OR at least, is possible to do in UO.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh dear, the best and worst part of the game has hit me...

Design Fever!
As long as it isn't Disco Fever, that is fine around here. :D

Just say NO to:

As for the cure...unfortunately there is no guaranteed one. I usually log on to Test Center, place a house, and just play around with it until I get some inspiration. Spy missions to other shards sometimes help also. If you can't create your own cure, you might be able to steal one. :p

-Skylark

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I try to figure out the general stuff first and work my way to the specific. Like first off, is it going to be some kind of holiday oriented design, or is it going to be a "normal" house, or is it going to be something wacky? Those are the biggies. Holiday oriented I try to think up a theme and usually do a bunch of different areas that fit in with that. Here's a house I did with a giant tree for a contest that was "autumn" themed:

For a normal house I make lists of what I want in it, try to think of decoing things I have never done before (like this castle I'm currently working on, I try to incorporate something new into each area). Normal houses are probably the easiest because there is so much to draw on and you can do just about anything, and if something doesn't quite work out you can just do something else.

If you want to get crazy, you can make houses like a cute firehouse I saw someone do before, or make a park or some other kind of natural feature, make an illusion house like those giant towers or the piers that go off into the water...I did a giant cave on test center before, and just last week I got bored and decided to make some kind of modern art type plot that I would probably use as an open vendor house if I was going to keep it (I decided it was too boring after all):

Sadly I can't just drop the house and replace it to get rid of the gozas - the white ones are too valuable, hehe. But I can do that after I chop all the white ones and put them back in another house.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The other ones are just made with regular colored cloth but the white ones are made from cloth you can't get anymore, unless you still have some of those old dread spider silk quest wool piles. So I have to keep them for when I need white gozas. :p

S

Sabbath

Sarsmi, whether or not that 'modern' design is your cup 'o tea or not, it is stunning! I have to say that I would rather have bamboo shoots shoved under my fingernails than build that but it is amazing :)

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh oh that'd be me! lol

Firehouse:

http://i33.***********/zu5co8.jpg

McDonalds:

http://i37.***********/fu3koh.jpg

http://i34.***********/nxkoeu.jpg

Sometimes it's really hard to think of WHAT to design. Usually I just think about what I'm going for too. Like my new house, has a private beach, kind of in the boondocks, and it's a 10x10. (I like a challenge, lol). I wanted a cozy cabin type home, even though I rarely, if ever, make cabin style houses. Just think about what you want to come "home" to, and then go for it.

Good luck.

C

Caelas

Well, I thought it over, and decided I wanted something...big. But at the same time, not a "Borg Cube". So I looked around the entries for the design contest, and #100 really caught my eye, so I replicated that (with some interior differences.) Now I just need deco stuff, cause all I really got are a bunch of containers, two statues, and a pentagram. Ugh...off to find deco vendors.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just think about what you want to come "home" to, and then go for it.
You wanted to come home to a McDonalds!?! :D

I forgot about that one, the pile of straws and the mustard/ketchup...lol, too funny! I'm a big fan of the wacky stuff. :thumbsup:

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow. The first and only McDonald's in UO. *impressed*

I like my own home. I finally figured out what I wanted to come home to, and now I'm just doing finishing touches (I don't think I'll ever be done with that! :p)

A

Amathist of PoC

maybe check out sites like castles and court yards, or spellweave for decorating tips