• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Debating whether or not to quit UO now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To the OP:

I use to have similliar problem. Deciding to quit or play. If you can get passed giving up on the housing, & can fit enough stuff into your bank box. I`d say quit.

You can always come back at a later date. No point in paying for something if you don`t enjoy it. & if enough subscription drop they will eventually get the hint.

E

Evilminion

Because you've finally grown tired of perpetuating your grumpiness on this forum with vitriolic responses to anything positive, and have decided to go bother the WoW community for a while? :D :loser: :lick:

(Hey, a girl can hope, right?)

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because you've finally grown tired of perpetuating your grumpiness on this forum with vitriolic responses to anything positive, and have decided to go bother the WoW community for a while? :D :loser: :lick:

(Hey, a girl can hope, right?)
WoW has no community. It's just a huge mob.

F

Forte~

It may have been cheating! But on these lines any tamers that use jewelry to bond an animal should have that animal automatically unbond if they take it off or if they die. It is the exact same principal but their arent many tamer that would say "oh ya thats cheating too". It is the exact same thing, and its largely tamers that complained about me being able to "solo"(never actually did it) a peerless. If they are going to fix it they should fix it all. They are not fixing it all they are playing politics, they are succoming the those that are complaining the most and not correcting the larger issue.

F

Forte~

Also, this is very similar to mages being able to use a weapon at high skill based on magery skill. The idea is crazy, but maybe if I complain to UO for years they'll bring it all back.

C

Canucklehead73

Yeah, that's what I love(d...) about UO, the freedom to do what you wanted template wise. And yeah, I am planning to play Darkfall when it's finally out.
Well the freedom is still there, they just removed a basic exploit.

You can have necro or not... You can wear jewels to be in vamp form or not.

All you cant do is take the jewlery off and still have the benefit... Pretty simple.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But taking 100 points out of my template or making my suit suck would make my char pretty useless compared to what it is now.
This statement proves that you seem to be inapt to build a decent character, and now blame it on the Dev Team. Just quit already and spare this message board from your whining.

L

Lesa

Not gonna decide yet, gonna start PvPing more. But last time I actively PvPed I stopped because of the amount of cheaters and such. If it's like that again I'm probably gone.
Don't be a sore loser! Build an army and kill the cheaters....over and over again :)

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Debating whether or not to quit UO now
This same question also popped up in my mind recently. And it is a valid question.

- I first played UO actively from 1997 to 1999, sold the account.
- Between 1999 to 2004, I only played on free one week trial when a new expansion came out.
- I then started again on 2004 until now.

It is clearly that the game is dying, and more so in the past one year. Lack of everything to maintain a business. I am seriously thinking about selling the two accounts while these pixel data still worth some penny.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone wanna guess why?

No... but here are some good reasons to quit UO:

1. Got married and wife is having a baby so no more time to play due to parental responsibility.

2. Started a new job and no longer have free time to spent 10hrs a day in-game.

3. Dying of a terminal illness and realized that some things in life are more important... going sky diving and mountain climbing, etc.

4. Joined the Peace Corps and won't have an internet connection anymore.

5. Got a puppy and prefer spending time training him not to pee on the carpet.

6. Got a girlfriend now, and she's a nymphomaniac (nuff said).

7. Lost my Voluntary Manslaughter case and have to report to the Federal Penetentiary in two days to serve a 20yr term.

8. My mom kicked me outta the house and told me to get a job and now I can't log onto her computer to play UO anymore.

9. Lost all my fingers in a freak edge-trimmer accident and can't push my macro buttons anymore.

10. Developed deep vein thrombosis and carpal tunnel from playing UO all day and my doctor told me I'll die if I don't quit playing. *thinking about getting a second opinion*

Safe Travels, Sam

F

Fortyniner

Because you're sick of all the negative posts on Stratics.

C

Crystal Canyon

Because you're sick of all the negative posts on Stratics.
Thats probably part of it for sure.

What I dont think some people understand is that it is not so much the fact that some people's game play style will be gone, it is that its just another thing they give and then take away. For the better of the game or not it seems to have happened way too often.

Same thing has happened with alot of things over the years. Sending bags for one. I know people who made thier gold totally from doing the quests for sending bags and powder. Then, they take it away.

I dont agree that anyone should quit over the new changes coming. I think they may regret it later on, but I know it is irritating to keep getting and then having it taken away.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They also dont mention people who stone scribe to their other characters to cast reactive armor and magic reflect to gain +5 in all the elemental resists and pull scribe off their characters while the buffs remain.
That, and Jewelry Disco...and any other "Rule Bending" "Nonsensical" and whatever other name that those types of getting around actually HAVING the skill for the benefit to remain type of things also need a close looking at. A close one, indeed.

It shouldn't JUST be the "Rule Bending" Vampiric Embrace that should be fixed, IMO.

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

Vamp form was not cheating. No rules were broken.
Cheating or not, still doing something that was not intended to be played the way he was playing it. Now it's being coded in properly and he is crying.. I don't feel sorry for him!

E

Eslake

It may have been cheating! But on these lines any tamers that use jewelry to bond an animal should have that animal automatically unbond if they take it off or if they die. It is the exact same principal but their arent many tamer that would say "oh ya thats cheating too". It is the exact same thing, and its largely tamers that complained about me being able to "solo"(never actually did it) a peerless. If they are going to fix it they should fix it all. They are not fixing it all they are playing politics, they are succoming the those that are complaining the most and not correcting the larger issue.
I don't even know why you guys keep bringing up bonding via jewlery.

There is a pretty obvious difference between--
: Someone using +skill jewlery (max 35 points) to be able to tame something, bond it, and control it. Meaning they must KEEP that jewlery on or there is nothing gained.
: Someone throwing on 70+ skill items to cast a 99skill spell with only 20odd skill, then taking all of that skill-gear off and STILL having the benifits of the spell.

IMO they need to just eliminate all +skill items period. Make them all success bonuses like crafter talismans, so you have to actually HAVE the skill to Do something with it, and just be more successful at it via jewlery/gear bonuses.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not gonna decide yet, gonna start PvPing more. But last time I actively PvPed I stopped because of the amount of cheaters and such. If it's like that again I'm probably gone.

Cheaters? WTH do you call what you were doing by putting on jewelry to change into a form, then taking it off and keeping that form?

Now we know why Connor could defeat everything....

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Except that the jewelry trick wasn't cheating. Good try though.
What is the definition of an exploit?

You are exploiting the game mechanics for a benefit you otherwise wouldn't normally have.

That is an exploit... let me rephrase... that is cheating. :scholar:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I wouldn't call it cheating in the "everyone who uses this gets banz0red" manner. I would however call the issue at hand an imbalance that is being fixed.

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

So make a long story short, they are fixing something so now you have to play the char the way it was intended.. STOP CRYING, just quit!

R

Radun

go ahead and leave if you really want to be a quitter.... RL is for people who can't handle uo!

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the definition of an exploit?

You are exploiting the game mechanics for a benefit you otherwise wouldn't normally have.

That is an exploit... let me rephrase... that is cheating. :scholar:
I concur. Its as much of an exploit as client side mods. :D

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Exploiting" means exploiting a bug, you nitwits. "Exploiting" non-bug game mechanics is such a vague concept that it could apply to anything. Like say all those tamers using jewels to get extra stable slots.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Exploiting" means exploiting a bug, you nitwits. "Exploiting" non-bug game mechanics is such a vague concept that it could apply to anything. Like say all those tamers using jewels to get extra stable slots.

LOL...mmk. Most exploiting is the result of flaws in the game mechanics...which in essence is a result of poor programming. Poor programming means bugs...so they all fit in by way of one sense or another. (edited for some semblance of clarity) The tamer thing could actually be a result of GOOD programming for all intensive purposes. The coding affects all players and not just tamers and is a fail safe to prevent players from losing thier pets. The EXPLOIT would be a character who circumvents this fail safe to provide refuge for a pet they otherwise wouldnt have room for. See the difference? (the lesser evil is the exploter taking advantage of this...which I would rather see than watching a pet go poof due to its tamer being discorded)

Nitwit? not at all...nitwit implies lack of ability to comprehend even the simplest of things. The complexity has to be at LEAST third grade level before I lose sight of things.

Pardon my sketchy response at this point...Jack D. has my head spinnin.

G

gjohnson5

LOL...mmk. Most exploiting is the result of flaws in the game mechanics...which in essence is a result of poor programming. Poor programming means bugs...so they all fit in by way of one sense or another.
I would agree with that argument if it didn't take like 4-5 years for that "bug" to be fixed. The jewelry issue was not a bug at all , that was just the way the game was designed.

Poor brainstorming and planning not programming

G

gjohnson5

With an ever changing ruleset the three terms often become blended into obscurity. (bringing this debate full circle *grins*)
Not a good point at all....

If form changing spells and skill jewelry were properly planned out , it would have been clear from day one what the issue was....

The form change spells were clearly planned and intended to not be changable until the spell is cast a second time. Skill jewelry is still planned and intended to add skill to the character. The way it functioned to this date is neither a bug nor exploit.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not a good point at all....

If form changing spells and skill jewelry were properly planned out , it would have been clear from day one what the issue was....

The form change spells were clearly planned and intended to not be changable until the spell is cast a second time. Skill jewelry is still planned and intended to add skill to the character. The way it functioned to this date is neither a bug nor exploit.
It's like saying 5/6 fast casting mages when AoS come out. And 200 in EACH of the stats with bless clothing, and Instant kill WoD AI archer, and Wand cycling, and bokuto unbreakalbe nerve instant kill, are ALL intended when the certain patch is designed. Which is true. So what happened to all the non-exploit but yet completely unreasonable/unbalanced abilities/skills? Right they get fixed.

Quit for all I care. You probably wouldnt survive in Winderfall or even WoW. Well maybe you are that good and your Warrior can solo lv70 25-men raiding instance. :loser:

Anakena

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That, and lack of regular improvements to UO.
I think the next publish goes in the right direction, especially for factions. Factions needed, since AoS, a revamp of the rewards.

One can of course have questions about giving boosted artifacts but I think they will be good provided they have the same limitations as the original rewards (items were blessed for 3 weeks).

By giving a good incentive to factions, this kind of organized PvP might attract new blood into a battlefield where death means something to due to the Skill loss.

Now of course casual PvPers not in factions will suffer a disadvantage, but they did suffer such a disadvantage when factions were introduced as blessed weapons meant something in that time. And Factions were then a great success.

If you are concerned with the sampire's nerf, do not see it as a nerf but as a challenge. making a sampire and using it well was already a challenge. It was great to be able to solo a peerless (I did the dreadhorn and paroxy). It will just need some adjustments to be able to keep doing it.

G

gjohnson5

It's like saying 5/6 fast casting mages when AoS come out. And 200 in EACH of the stats with bless clothing, and Instant kill WoD AI archer, and Wand cycling, and bokuto unbreakalbe nerve instant kill, are ALL intended when the certain patch is designed. Which is true. So what happened to all the non-exploit but yet completely unreasonable/unbalanced abilities/skills? Right they get fixed.

Quit for all I care. You probably wouldnt survive in Winderfall or even WoW. Well maybe you are that good and your Warrior can solo lv70 25-men raiding instance. :loser:
:rolleyes:
I want YOU to quit so I can stop reading garbage posts like this
Yes , "issues" got fixed, but if proper planning were done alot of these "issues" would not have been "issues"

You cannot call a design flaw a bug or an exploit. The items above were clearly intended to function in the manner that they did.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:rolleyes:
I want YOU to quit so I can stop reading garbage posts like this
Yes , "issues" got fixed, but if proper planning were done alot of these "issues" would not have been "issues"

You cannot call a design flaw a bug or an exploit. The items above were clearly intended to function in the manner that they did.
LoL @ people who's trolling the forum.

So yea kiddo just like what you said. If proper planning were done issue like sampire would not have been an issue. :loser:

A

Aboo

Anyone wanna guess why?
A better question is, does anyone care?

Forgive me but if you wish to make a post stating that you are quitting, at least don't make it a ridiculous guessing game. If you have something to say, just say it!

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stupid post of the day. Personally, I don't care if they nerf it or not, it has no affect on my gaming. But those of you whining about the taming jewels keep missing (either through stupidity or deliberately) the FACT that although a tamer may bond a pet with jewels on, the SECOND he takes those jewels OFF and starts giving orders to thier pet, their loyalty is going to drop like a rock. Pets given several bad orders in a row (because they don't have the taming/lore required after removing jewels), go wild...thus they DO lose their pet. Unlike your whiny azz, the tamer HAS to KEEP their jewels ON. They DON'T bond the pet, take them off, and away they go with the pet without issue. Know wtf you are talking about or stfu. Sheesh.

Tek

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need help deciding to quit playing a video game?

N

nemo

I must admit I was a bit pissed as my sampire was my favourite char to play, but I wouldn't quit over it.

It's not all bad as I don't have to have 90 something fire resist any more, so i rebuilt my suit and now I have loads more mana regen and mana so I pretty much never run out.

And I no longer need my shield to max out my HCI and DCI so i can now parry. The only real downside IMO is the lack of poison resist, but again as I have a hand free I just chug pots.

It's not like it's the first time they've done this sort of thing to a template...just adapt and move on I say.

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wrong, Forte.

Last count I had eight tamers spread out across five accounts.

I'd be completely ecstatic were ALL skill items (including jewellery) to be immediately removed from the game never to return.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What Nico said... though my addiction only stretches to a mere 6 tamers :D

Wenchy

L

Lord Kynd

Hasn't ALWAYS been a lack of improvements. Recently it's just getting even more pathetic though. And sorry, but that is one reason :/
hurry and quit , please and take your bad talk with you.
you seem to think EA should give us new stuff .. what every day ?
you've got to be kidding. look at other game's , no game gets 'new' content on a daily basis.. many don't get new stuff but once a year.

but your right, you are better off quitting, because complainers are not all to welcome.

i'd ask the famous question... can i have your stuff....
but would rather not as it might be duped or scripted by someone.... but i'm sure the IDOC team will be gratefull for your 'new' items they can claim. :)

L

Lord Kynd

Wrong, Forte.

Last count I had eight tamers spread out across five accounts.

I'd be completely ecstatic were ALL skill items (including jewellery) to be immediately removed from the game never to return.

oh , me also
i would be very happy with the dev team if they removed all 'fake' skills.
people that use jewlry as a supliment for true skill should have penalties for being fake .. at the least.

i'd go as far as if the Dev's remove all skill 'bonus's to open another account.
and advertise to my friends ... look UO is good, they don't even allow cheating by fake skill's ...
but alas... people call dreams like these pipe dream's ... because it just won't happen :(

L

Lord Kynd

Because you're a petulant 9 year old that didn't get his way?? Whhhaaaaahhh.
aww come on the kid has to be at least 12 i would guess.
they do know how to put a sentance together at least and spell right :p

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I say quit........ you obviously are unable to adapt to this long over due fix.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unable to adapt? I've already got 3 warriors OTHER than the sampire I have (or had :/). They all work just as effectively, I just like the sampire better. A lot better. Especially because it has the power to make the vocal majority of UHall ***** and moan about it constantly.

But yeah, I've already adapted and am still able to easily kill Dreadhorn at least, yet to try Parox, and I know Grizzle and Shimmering are possible. Hell, I've been told Lady Mel is possible with my new template. And Travesty I can do on a regular samurai, no form at all.

To do list:
Adapt - check
Solo everything again - working on it
Make everyone complain more - give it a couple months

A

Aboo

. . .To do list:
Adapt - check
You forgot one very important thing on your checklist:

Play well with others. Oh wait, you want to solo everything so you have no desire to play well with others. Sorry I didn't read your above checklist well enough I guess.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You forgot one very important thing on your checklist:

Play well with others. Oh wait, you want to solo everything so you have no desire to play well with others. Sorry I didn't read your above checklist well enough I guess.
You must not know me very well then, I play more with others than I do solo. Nice assumption though.

S

Sheridan

To do list:
Adapt - check
To do list:

Remind everyone to follow the Rules of Conduct and keep from trolling their fellow forumgoers... check.
Lock this thread to keep from encouraging further trolling which has already run rampant in said thread... check.

Status
Not open for further replies.