• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dark Father is a little snappy!

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
have been uber busy with work and such and same with guild mates, finally was able to get over to the Gauntlet this weekend with one guild mate, we thought we would go give the 'new and improved' Gauntlet a run.

rooms where good, with the 2 of us running sampires we made it though them with not too much worry.
couple close calls with cross healing. (ya im getting old!)

but the Dark Father.... OMG!

i have read a couple posts about people saying how hard he is but wowsers!
i also watched that video of the fella doing it solo.

my impression.
out of my pay grade to do anymore.
even with a guild mate.
maybe when another guild mate makes it back from a trip we could try it again but i dont know what that would change.

what i noticed was this.
we would roll in and start up on the DF with our 2 Sampires.
DF would teleport around, popping here popping there, really kinda annoying, we tried to just stand in once spot and make his come back to us (we where right smack in the middle) but that failed horribly when he spawned 7 Ancient Liches with a variety of other baddies - couple blood elementals and bone knights and what have ya.
monochrome screens for both of us.

so that didnt work.
i had planned ahead and brought a tamer in with us and had him parked in the side room to res swampies should it be needed (and it was).
so for interest sake after the 10th time we had dies i took my tamer in.
full 120 disco tamer with a greater dragon.
thought was, put the dragon on him and run off screen and park, let the sampires try to get hits in while the dragon sponge up all the damage from the DF and the spawn, rinse, repeat.

plan failed miserably.
as soon as the dragon hit the DF i was pulled in, no worries, im fast on my feet, run run run run run!
way off screen... pulled back in!
ruh oh!
run run - pulled back in!
run - pulled back in!
r... - pulled back in!
lich spawn, lich spawn, a LOT OF SPAWN casting withers.
dead tamer.

k, so that didnt work.

so we decided to log out and think about it over night.

sunday night.
log back in, go do the room, was fun with the 2 of us, nice little challenge and we made it through ok.
DF up this time there are 2?!?!?!??!!

oh that was not good.
could not drag one off, bounced back.
and double the spawn!!!!
i have NEVER seen so many Ancient Liches!!!!!
i really like killing Ancient Liches, it scratches some deep seated urge of mine back from 1998 when i use to farm liches in the forest of Yew and in the Deceit in the Lich Basement but these guys.... OMG!
we died so many times.
and the DF has barely a sliver taken off his bar.

so now we are stuck.
as far as we can tell there is no way we with our skill sets are gonna be able to do this.
im guessing with maybe 2 other guys??????
but even then the spawn will probably scale up to 3 or 4 DF's, no?

they made this really hard for small shards to do this didnt they?
guess maybe ill go hit some other shards and see what everyone else is doing.

little frustrated.
little sad.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, where tamers are the kings of shadowguard. Melee is the king of Doom.

Demon + Undead Slayer. Talisman + Weapon combo

Rule #1. No hit spell, No Hit area. Trust me. This cuts his teleportation insanely.
Rule #2. Taking out the adds is priority #1.

Double strike is NICE, but the second blow can cause him to teleport and pull you in. I suggest not using it and instead sticking to armor ignore for a smoother fight.

No hit area, no double strike, no hit spell, no spells hitting him (Sorry mages), and the fight is a cake walk. I'll test it out with a tamer mage later to see how hard it is, but with your pet casting and breathing on the dark father he's going to be bouncing all around the room and dragging you with him. This might be a better fight for a cu sidhe or a hyru. High SDI mage suit with Undead Slayer spell book doing meteor swarm when adds pop and cutting bones in the mean time might work.

Otherwise you'll need to switch it up and run with a Melee Tamer. I'd still suggest a cu sidhe or a hyru over the greater to keep him in one spot.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'd wait and hope they dial it be a bit and cut the DF HP by half.
When and if they do it, it will be a fun challenging fight instead of the dragged out boring chore it is now.
I do like me some tough PvM fights, but that is boring instead of fun. :(

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

Rule #1. No hit spell, No Hit area. Trust me. This cuts his teleportation insanely.

Double strike is NICE, but the second blow can cause him to teleport and pull you in. I suggest not using it and instead sticking to armor ignore for a smoother fight.

No hit area, no double strike, no hit spell, no spells hitting him (Sorry mages), and the fight is a cake walk. I'll test it out with a tamer mage later to see how hard it is, but with your pet casting and breathing on the dark father he's going to be bouncing all around the room and dragging you with him. This might be a better fight for a cu sidhe or a hyru. High SDI mage suit with Undead Slayer spell book doing meteor swarm when adds pop and cutting bones in the mean time might work.

Otherwise you'll need to switch it up and run with a Melee Tamer. I'd still suggest a cu sidhe or a hyru over the greater to keep him in one spot.
ill check with my guild mate but i know i was packing 2 Testubo's, one undead and one demon. neither of them had area or hit spell.
they are just HLD with leeches.
but ill check with my guildy about his cause the DF was all over the place.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ill check with my guild mate but i know i was packing 2 Testubo's, one undead and one demon. neither of them had area or hit spell.
they are just HLD with leeches.
but ill check with my guildy about his cause the DF was all over the place.
Tetsubos do frenzied whirlwind, not whirlwind. There is a difference. Switch to War Hammers or Black staves for whirlwind on macers for that fight.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd advise against demon slayer. Isn't elementals the opposite group?
Yes, but the elementals are usually only up briefly, if you follow the rules i posted, not worth sacrificing your damage against the dark father for the whole fight because elementals might pop up. You can go undead cameo/trinket and demon weapon if you want and then equip last to a non demon slayer weapon when the elementals pop, but usually they die in 1-2 whirlwinds.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
is there a difference between the whirlwind and frenzied whirlwind?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Cu's or Hiryu would be a decent option except anymore most things eat them alive in .3 seconds... You can't do a bandage fast enough to save them even if you are healing with bandages, consume damage, and everything else you can't keep most pets alive long enough to use them... You'd need to have a pack of Cu's which would increase the amount of spawn 10 fold... Again useless. Hiryu have even less HP.... again making them useless to most situations... even if they had the HP neither the Cu or the Hiryu have the resists that a GD does and again would be eaten alive in .3 seconds. Even with the Cu healing itself... which it's healing of you or itself is so painfully slow it's not even funny.

Herp!

Journeyman
is there a difference between the whirlwind and frenzied whirlwind?
Yes, a huge difference in damage to say the least... But also Frenzied WW is damage over time(I believe it hits twice over two seconds?) which will teleport you and DF around more often. In reference to your poor tamer.. yeah, I've said it before and I'll say it again... I disco'd my own dragon so it would hit less often, ran completely out of the dungeon(took me like 8 attempts before he missed enough), waited for a hit to go off & got teleported to the gauntlet from outside of Doom in Malas.

Herp!

Journeyman
Cu's or Hiryu would be a decent option except anymore most things eat them alive in .3 seconds... You can't do a bandage fast enough to save them even if you are healing with bandages, consume damage, and everything else you can't keep most pets alive long enough to use them... You'd need to have a pack of Cu's which would increase the amount of spawn 10 fold... Again useless. Hiryu have even less HP.... again making them useless to most situations... even if they had the HP neither the Cu or the Hiryu have the resists that a GD does and again would be eaten alive in .3 seconds. Even with the Cu healing itself... which it's healing of you or itself is so painfully slow it's not even funny.
I personally use a Hiryu with my dexxer just as a source of extra damage(extremely helpful on DH who has phys lowest resist and you can onslaught phys down even more) since I can control it with bush and still ride my swampie and when it dies, oh well.... Wouldn't do it in doom though, Hiryu double strike & will just make you port around even more than when you're just doing Double Strikes yourself :D. Though you can easily avoid the pain that the porting causes by crosshealing. As King Greg says, melee is god king in Doom. It's also a bit silly and wasteful but who cares because they are worthless creatures anyway.. you can hatch Dragon Turtle eggs in any fight that has an AoE ability or retarget based on movement & they will aid you in killing the boss. I have had 15 of them on a boss before and just stood by laughing while I took 0 damage because the boss was just confused(yes I had an afk tamer in the corner to lore them all and verify not a single one was worth keeping because they were all 4.0 or less). Totally off subject, but I thought it may be worth an honorable mention lol

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Best kept secret to Shadowguard is using a dexxer...Anon is particularly vulnerable to 100% poison weps.

Doom? I don't understand the concept of making dungeons only workable with certain character types. If things were balanced, any damage dealing templates SHOULD be usable in any given dungeon. Apparently this simple concept has eluded the current dev. team.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I have to disagree with some of you here, I use a double axe and Bladded Staff, Use AI on the DF and when he created spawn, switch to DAxe and WW, then back to AI.

Daxe has WW plus area effect to kill all the spawn instantly. I guess its a way of playing that changes, for me the spawn is no problem as long as you tackle it when it appears, for some reason the spawn appears but dont target you till a good 4-5 secs later, enough time to do 2 WW with area effect and they all dead and you are back to AI the DF.

Herp!

Journeyman
Best kept secret to Shadowguard is using a dexxer...Anon is particularly vulnerable to 100% poison weps.

Doom? I don't understand the concept of making dungeons only workable with certain character types. If things were balanced, any damage dealing templates SHOULD be usable in any given dungeon. Apparently this simple concept has eluded the current dev. team.
I'll start off topic, Anon is not particularly vulnerable to any weapon type. He ranges 65-70 in all resists and has 215-240 wrestling. The only advantage to a dexxer (which I do run regularly) is that you can switch elemental weapons & force Anon in to certain types to allow others that may be with you to continue damaging him throughout the elemental phase & utilize that slayer bonus without healing him.

Back on topic, Doom is doable by any damage dealer in the game, whether people believe it or not. Just because you die, doesn't mean the boss isn't doable.... That's why there is a rez right next to him. When I did my first 4 or 5 SE kills, I had to rez about 30 times per kill... didn't bother me one bit.

I'm pretty sure everyone is just complaining because it's not the joke it used to be & to the rest of us it's just boring as hell to even bother with. I seriously just stand still, hit WW, and bandage while watching my other monitors and doing side work/projects...

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
while i can appreciate telling a tall tale, plopping your guy in with the DF and turning to another monitor to catch up on the news and the 'hub might be a bit of the stretch.
i dont consider myself to be a princess when it comes to doing bosses - i was attended on my sampire cross healing and not watching my other monitor and was getting owned.
let me know when your going in again and what shard id love to come watch this magic happen in person.

Herp!

Journeyman
while i can appreciate telling a tall tale, plopping your guy in with the DF and turning to another monitor to catch up on the news and the 'hub might be a bit of the stretch.
i dont consider myself to be a princess when it comes to doing bosses - i was attended on my sampire cross healing and not watching my other monitor and was getting owned.
let me know when your going in again and what shard id love to come watch this magic happen in person.
I might be around at the weekend, I'll PM.
Edit: People may have read what I said as I would just tab out and basically afk.. I tab out for a second and start a video, then I start and just watch the other screen with a small magnifier window in whatever monitor I'm on that has my stats bar & boss hp showing.. I do still pres butan & play the game, I just don't really pay that much attention to it. I've also only seen lich lords RCs and blood eles so far, no crazy crap like ancient liches and stuff that people are saying.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'll start off topic, Anon is not particularly vulnerable to any weapon type. He ranges 65-70 in all resists and has 215-240 wrestling. The only advantage to a dexxer (which I do run regularly) is that you can switch elemental weapons & force Anon in to certain types to allow others that may be with you to continue damaging him throughout the elemental phase & utilize that slayer bonus without healing him.

Back on topic, Doom is doable by any damage dealer in the game, whether people believe it or not. Just because you die, doesn't mean the boss isn't doable.... That's why there is a rez right next to him. When I did my first 4 or 5 SE kills, I had to rez about 30 times per kill... didn't bother me one bit.

I'm pretty sure everyone is just complaining because it's not the joke it used to be & to the rest of us it's just boring as hell to even bother with. I seriously just stand still, hit WW, and bandage while watching my other monitors and doing side work/projects...
I don't have WW.... you can't WW with a bow. Nor can you WW with a pet... and since archery is not compatable skill to weapons with UBWS and such... can't change weapsons either... I could play a lame Sampire but I find them to be... "unfun"... and completely soloisticly selfish in design. Without healing you can't help or cross heal other players... as well you can't rez comrades either and IMO that makes them "unfun"... since IMO UO is an MMO and I prefer to play it as such and leave Solo gameplay to games like Diablo and Skyrim...

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have WW.... you can't WW with a bow. Nor can you WW with a pet... and since archery is not compatable skill to weapons with UBWS and such... can't change weapsons either... I could play a lame Sampire but I find them to be... "unfun"... and completely soloisticly selfish in design. Without healing you can't help or cross heal other players... as well you can't rez comrades either and IMO that makes them "unfun"... since IMO UO is an MMO and I prefer to play it as such and leave Solo gameplay to games like Diablo and Skyrim...
My playing style changed to solo in the past two years, occasionally, I play with other guys if the login timing is right. The game contents of UO can be played by multiple players and also solo players. I want to do whatever I like when I login UO.

I can say UO is very different from Diablo even though I compare both in solo gaming style. I quit Diablo in about two weeks. But I played UO for 18 years, and am still playing UO a lot in solo style now.

Herp!

Journeyman
Oh I understand, I play with a friend normally because I can't stand solo play.. I also don't play a sampire because I hate the setup and I can get more damage from a build with 20 less fire resist having to be imbued. I also agree that DF is the opposite of fun now, but it is what it is... just gotta work hard on the movement part to keep your xhealing going. Took me a bit to get used to, but I have done the boss with 2 archers crosshealing, 2 melee dexxers crosshealing, and 1 tamer 1 necroweavermysticmage... The archers weren't fun because add control was a bit of a mess, the mage/tamer set up was just awful, but it got done. I'd never want to go back in with anything but 2 swordsman crosshealing.. I guess that does say something about the boss being geared specifically toward melee and groups with extreme amounts of slayer capable AoE though. The only saving grace with tamer/mage setup was the fact that Juo'nar's Grimoires allowed us to have boosted wither damage and mage/tamer/weaver could spam Tstorm or meteor swarm.

Any boss that promotes solo play is silly imo. *looks at Cora and her breath per character in range* Sadly, it is only going to become more and more of a solo game I think. Mostly due to the fact that there are fewer and fewer of us that have schedules that work together or will invite randoms to do things. Not saying it won't be more fun with friends/extra randoms, but last I checked, Mesanna was running a Sampire & that has been said a lot of times on here.

P.S. I miss my set up by the portal where nothing could bother me but the DF.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh I understand, I play with a friend normally because I can't stand solo play.. I also don't play a sampire because I hate the setup and I can get more damage from a build with 20 less fire resist having to be imbued. I also agree that DF is the opposite of fun now, but it is what it is... just gotta work hard on the movement part to keep your xhealing going. Took me a bit to get used to, but I have done the boss with 2 archers crosshealing, 2 melee dexxers crosshealing, and 1 tamer 1 necroweavermysticmage... The archers weren't fun because add control was a bit of a mess, the mage/tamer set up was just awful, but it got done. I'd never want to go back in with anything but 2 swordsman crosshealing.. I guess that does say something about the boss being geared specifically toward melee and groups with extreme amounts of slayer capable AoE though. The only saving grace with tamer/mage setup was the fact that Juo'nar's Grimoires allowed us to have boosted wither damage and mage/tamer/weaver could spam Tstorm or meteor swarm.

Any boss that promotes solo play is silly imo. *looks at Cora and her breath per character in range* Sadly, it is only going to become more and more of a solo game I think. Mostly due to the fact that there are fewer and fewer of us that have schedules that work together or will invite randoms to do things. Not saying it won't be more fun with friends/extra randoms, but last I checked, Mesanna was running a Sampire & that has been said a lot of times on here.

P.S. I miss my set up by the portal where nothing could bother me but the DF.
Rather miss that too... However it's my opinion that the more and more they change the game and the less "fun" it is... the less I log in and the less I play... and the less I care and the less I spend... or am willing to spend.

I'll await the Pet Revamp as I've resigned myself to that... but if that makes taming as "unfun" as they have made so much else and if they make it as horrible as I fear... I think that will be the final straw for this camels back. Which I would have NEVER thought I would say that... but it's seriously getting towards that point...

I don't find getting 1 shot killed fun, I don't find the antics you have to put up with at EM Events "fun" ... I don't find grinding something for 100's of hours for next to no return "fun".... and I don't find being "forced" to play certain playstyles "fun"... I don't find Solo UO play "fun"... and I don't find it "fun" to be limited so drastically in what I can store be it pets or "stuffs" fun... I don't find the extreme lag at EM Events "fun" ... I find it exceedingly frustrating to have the bosses do the Nova Blast and other mass effects that grind the game to a near standstill... I do NOT find that "fun"... I don't find it "fun" that I can't open a public corpse at an EM Event because it crashes the client... So not being able to loot like everyone else can is NOT FUN... I don't find getting frozen every .8 seconds fun either...

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Rather miss that too... However it's my opinion that the more and more they change the game and the less "fun" it is... the less I log in and the less I play... and the less I care and the less I spend... or am willing to spend.

I'll await the Pet Revamp as I've resigned myself to that... but if that makes taming as "unfun" as they have made so much else and if they make it as horrible as I fear... I think that will be the final straw for this camels back. Which I would have NEVER thought I would say that... but it's seriously getting towards that point...

I don't find getting 1 shot killed fun, I don't find the antics you have to put up with at EM Events "fun" ... I don't find grinding something for 100's of hours for next to no return "fun".... and I don't find being "forced" to play certain playstyles "fun"... I don't find Solo UO play "fun"... and I don't find it "fun" to be limited so drastically in what I can store be it pets or "stuffs" fun... I don't find the extreme lag at EM Events "fun" ... I find it exceedingly frustrating to have the bosses do the Nova Blast and other mass effects that grind the game to a near standstill... I do NOT find that "fun"... I don't find it "fun" that I can't open a public corpse at an EM Event because it crashes the client... So not being able to loot like everyone else can is NOT FUN... I don't find getting frozen every .8 seconds fun either...
You sir are very very negative!!!
With all respect and with no intention to offend you, as I see 3 out of every 5 posts you make, you say that you dont play UO that much, dont have time, cant be bothered and that you dont like this and that... and yet, you are one of the most that comments in Stratics.... Obviously you dont wanna play this game, as all that comes out of your comments is negativity, never something good or encouraging for the community. Why dont you actually quit instead of hoping that this Pet Revamp is going to make you fall in love again with UO, cause it wont, I am sure once they change it, you will be one of the 1st to knock it down or complain cause it wont be like you want it to be. I am not singling you out, but most rants in Strats of people, is because the game is not designed how they would like it to be!
I am always one to keep people ingame, but seems you have had your thoughts chosen for a while now, and you are sticking to what you think, then why so many post, I am going to leave if this and that, and actually do it, or take a break and come back in a couple years and see how much more you can hate it?

End of the day this is a game, if you are not getting pleasure and excitement out of it, why do you even bother playing it or hoping that it will change to something that you like.... There is plenty of games out there that might be of your appeal, but you need to go out and play them which I am sure by now you must of tried other games.

Please dont take any offense to any of my comments, as my intention is not to hurt you but to be objective with what you are saying on the post above and many others that you have posted for some time about not playing as much anymore because of the 1000 examples you give that you dont like the game.

About a sampire not being to Xheal or Res, ofcourse they can unless you are running with incredibly low Chivalry and have not bothered getting your karma up.
Ofcourse they wont heal as much as a bandage or as much as a Greater heal but if 2 sampires are attacking, and one is tanking the other can easily create a macro to heal closest ally and use Chiv spell to heal and same goes for Ressing other, just sacrifice yourself and all are ressed and up and running.

Ok we get that archers dont have WW, but you do have AoE and also lightning special which works well with a slayer.

This game although its was a RPGMMO at 1st, is not that anymore, since certain templates can be made to solo stuff, the MMO side of it has gone, as also greed has struck the players. People play solo these days to maximise their drop rate, as this game has incredibly stupid prices for stuff, low drop rates of high ends, so running as a group is not an option for many, as they need gold or items to progress ingame, if not they leave the game or they start buying from illegal websites that ruin the game for others, as these sites have to farm or dupe the items.
I am not saying everyone wants uber gear, but everyone wants over the par gear which they can say it is strong and good enough to fight most peerless and bosses.
So that part of greed will always exist in UO, if the inflation of Gold hadn't been so severe, the player base wouldn't of turned into what it is now, people trying to compete for high ends, have the best gear, have the most gold and have the most arties or EM drops.
Also take into account that the playerbase is also getting older, the pioneers that started this game back in 2000, with 18 years old, are now parents trying to put their children through school and holding jobs down to pay their bills, some of them have lost touch with the game, so when some new player comes and start putting effort into becoming stronger than the veteran players, that when problems arise as people with their egos cant accept that cause they dont put the same effort ingame to someone else and they should be same level..... well no, sorry that not even how RL works, you get what you put it, if you grind 100 hours. you will get paid for your investment. Time Vs Reward factor

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You sir are very very negative!!!
With all respect and with no intention to offend you, as I see 3 out of every 5 posts you make, you say that you dont play UO that much, dont have time, cant be bothered and that you dont like this and that... and yet, you are one of the most that comments in Stratics.... Obviously you dont wanna play this game, as all that comes out of your comments is negativity, never something good or encouraging for the community. Why dont you actually quit instead of hoping that this Pet Revamp is going to make you fall in love again with UO, cause it wont, I am sure once they change it, you will be one of the 1st to knock it down or complain cause it wont be like you want it to be. I am not singling you out, but most rants in Strats of people, is because the game is not designed how they would like it to be!
I am always one to keep people ingame, but seems you have had your thoughts chosen for a while now, and you are sticking to what you think, then why so many post, I am going to leave if this and that, and actually do it, or take a break and come back in a couple years and see how much more you can hate it?

End of the day this is a game, if you are not getting pleasure and excitement out of it, why do you even bother playing it or hoping that it will change to something that you like.... There is plenty of games out there that might be of your appeal, but you need to go out and play them which I am sure by now you must of tried other games.

Please dont take any offense to any of my comments, as my intention is not to hurt you but to be objective with what you are saying on the post above and many others that you have posted for some time about not playing as much anymore because of the 1000 examples you give that you dont like the game.

About a sampire not being to Xheal or Res, ofcourse they can unless you are running with incredibly low Chivalry and have not bothered getting your karma up.
Ofcourse they wont heal as much as a bandage or as much as a Greater heal but if 2 sampires are attacking, and one is tanking the other can easily create a macro to heal closest ally and use Chiv spell to heal and same goes for Ressing other, just sacrifice yourself and all are ressed and up and running.

Ok we get that archers dont have WW, but you do have AoE and also lightning special which works well with a slayer.

This game although its was a RPGMMO at 1st, is not that anymore, since certain templates can be made to solo stuff, the MMO side of it has gone, as also greed has struck the players. People play solo these days to maximise their drop rate, as this game has incredibly stupid prices for stuff, low drop rates of high ends, so running as a group is not an option for many, as they need gold or items to progress ingame, if not they leave the game or they start buying from illegal websites that ruin the game for others, as these sites have to farm or dupe the items.
I am not saying everyone wants uber gear, but everyone wants over the par gear which they can say it is strong and good enough to fight most peerless and bosses.
So that part of greed will always exist in UO, if the inflation of Gold hadn't been so severe, the player base wouldn't of turned into what it is now, people trying to compete for high ends, have the best gear, have the most gold and have the most arties or EM drops.
Also take into account that the playerbase is also getting older, the pioneers that started this game back in 2000, with 18 years old, are now parents trying to put their children through school and holding jobs down to pay their bills, some of them have lost touch with the game, so when some new player comes and start putting effort into becoming stronger than the veteran players, that when problems arise as people with their egos cant accept that cause they dont put the same effort ingame to someone else and they should be same level..... well no, sorry that not even how RL works, you get what you put it, if you grind 100 hours. you will get paid for your investment. Time Vs Reward factor
Exactly the game is not what it was anymore and it's drifting further and further from being a game about community.... THAT is precisely what is making me irate... That's what I loved about the game and the further and further it gets from that the more and more irritated I become... Why because IMO the DEVs are killing the game that I loved and turning it into something I don't like in the least... It's no longer about community, virtue and working together it's now more about stuff, getting stuff, selling stuff and making IRL money off the game... Cheating and everything else that comes with "winning how ever you want to win" in the most unscrupulous of ways has become the "norm".... and those that don't "Powergame" and cheat and whatever are being left with less and less to enjoy... And it's THAT which has me furious... I want the game I loved back. And if that's seen as negative... well so be it.

And i hate to say but this game is no more an RPG either... There is little or no RP at all.... and the MMO part is dying as well... And much as I try to find something..... anything to take the place of UO... there simply is NOTHING there. Shards... don't even get me started there... Nothing there trust me... maybe in a few years perhaps... but no if I seem negative it's because I'm passionate about the game that I have loved for years and seeing it turning into the cesspool it's becoming is infuriating... to say the least. The more it is "destroyed" to turn it into some item generating greed driven money generational scheme the more I just want to scream. The further it gets from community the more I want to vent. And if that's seen as negative so be it... and as for me not offering solutions or anything of that nature I'll say this.... I have ALWAYS been helpful to folk .... be it directing them to knowledge about the game from anything as simple as where to find things, how to raise or change your stats, to other game mechanics that I feel comfortable sharing... I don't know squat about reforging or any of that crap since honestly I think it gives more of a headache than joy ... I don't want to have to have a degree in statistics just to play a game... I also am ALWAYS suggesting things that would benefit the game... the game play and ways that UO could actually make a profit... things that I'd like to see added to the game etc... as well as giving feedback on changes...

But to say nothing to changes that I feel are more detrimental than beneficial is NOT something I'm going to do. EVER.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also, FYI, MalagAste is a male avatar for a female player - she doesn't quit because she's still hoping for change (bless her little heart)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also, FYI, MalagAste is a male avatar for a female player - she doesn't quit because she's still hoping for change (bless her little heart)
I do keep hoping... and praying. And Yes... Male avatar for a Male character... Female player. What can I say I like him.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Over on Sonoma we went in with a full party of ten, 3 tamers with GDs, three archer/throwers/two meelee/two mages/bards. one hour of meat grind never got passed the DFs to work on a room. The Gauntlet used to be a guild event that was fun to do, today it's a pain in rear and we rather face the Slasher of Veils

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Uggg.. I've said it before i'll say it again. Do not bring greater dragons.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Uggg.. I've said it before i'll say it again. Do not bring greater dragons.
we let the GDs die and went pure mages on the tamers keeping the GDs dead but still had little luck killing off any of the DFs because of the side spawning and the rubberband. A little over an hour later we called it quits picked up our dead and left.

@Mesanna
The Score
4 Df's 10 pts each
10 players 0

Last edited:

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
like every dungeon, certain templates are best. some I use archer, some I use tamer, for df I use melee. I know some have their favorite char they like to use all the time. that's ok but may be tough. I have to run sometimes from dark father because of blood oath or the spawn. I go back, kill the spawn, then go back to df. if I don't, I can die.
I mainly hate the liches looting my body lol

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
we let the GDs die and went pure mages on the tamers keeping the GDs dead but still had little luck killing off any of the DFs because of the side spawning and the rubberband. A little over an hour later we called it quits picked up our dead and left.

The Score
4 Df's 10 pts each
10 players 0
i kinda feel a little better that 2 of us on Sonoma got stuck, makes me feel better that 10 couldn't do it either.
fingers crossed the DEV's will read this and fix.... something?

Herp!

Journeyman
Oh hey, look at that. They listened & fixed Putrefier to be less annoying by just lowering his fame tier and removing the eles, made DF not teleport himself(way more annoying that teleporting me around), AND made Glenda not imbuable because it already had 5 properties! Crazy what happens when multiple people send emails to the people in charge.

Seriously though, a lot of people just post here and never seem to think to send an email to the people that actually take care of this stuff. Kyronix has his email in his profile, everyone knows Mesanna's but she is a busy gal with overseeing EVERYTHING about the game, and Bleak would probably tell you his email if you really wanted to know. Just send emails, feel free to complain all you want on here too, but emails work better. Anyone who has ever worked any job with a work based email knows that your email at work is something you have to read daily & sometimes you read in your spare time at home :).

To quote an email response to me in reference to bug reports:

"Feel free to send in bug reports to [email protected] (It should go directly into our bug tracking software) or you can send them to [email protected] or you can send them to me. What you do on Stratics is your business : )" 'Me' being Kyronix.

Thanks for listening, have a nice night :heart:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish they would make it worth while for Healers to be in the Gauntlet while they are making all these changes.
I run a mage down there sometimes but I have no where near the kit needed to take the DF on at the moment so I just heal the players that are trying to kill him or his minions in the rooms.
Not once have I got looting rights for my efforts, my only reward is gaining bits of Spirituality for healing players.

Not all of us run in Uber suits or use sampires......

Herp!

Journeyman
I wish they would make it worth while for Healers to be in the Gauntlet while they are making all these changes.
I run a mage down there sometimes but I have no where near the kit needed to take the DF on at the moment so I just heal the players that are trying to kill him or his minions in the rooms.
Not once have I got looting rights for my efforts, my only reward is gaining bits of Spirituality for healing players.

Not all of us run in Uber suits or use sampires......
If it's you and 2 other people, you can hit with 1 spell & you will be on the top 3 list which allows looting rights.... That's the best I can do though :(. Would be nice to see heals be counted, I often run my 4x bard/mage & get no looting rights. I just run with people that are REALLY nice and give me loot for my help if it's something I need :D

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If it's you and 2 other people, you can hit with 1 spell & you will be on the top 3 list which allows looting rights.... That's the best I can do though :(. Would be nice to see heals be counted, I often run my 4x bard/mage & get no looting rights. I just run with people that are REALLY nice and give me loot for my help if it's something I need :D
i would LOVE to take my pure bard in their but its not worth it with no chance at getting stuff.