• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Daft question re magery & crafting...

C

Cat Crimson

There are times when I should have " past her sell by date " stamped on my UO forehead, I swear....

Anyways. My main crafting character on Atl. He be a smith, miner, tinker, tailor and bowyer. No carpentry, cooking or alchemy. He is an old feller and I have had to make various adaptations through the years. Last week I found he still had 40 magery on him, locked. I need to make space to GM Arms Lore, so soulstoned the 40 magery for now.

What I can't remember is why he still had it, now you can nofail recall without magery ( For quite a while he had various oddments of skills, including taming/lore in order to control his horse in the days before 0 requirements for low level pets ). And why I locked it at 40. Is there anything craftable old or new in tink, smith, tailoring, or bowcrafting that would require a certain level of magery ? I'd like to get rid of it, but not if I might need it later !

Thankee, in advance.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need magery to make Pentagrams (75 Magery) and Abbatoirs (50 Magery).But thats in combination with Carpentry.

T

T_Amon_from_work

Other than the crafting, perhaps to cast Recall or something?

C

Cat Crimson

Thanks guys. He has no carpentry, I have that on another character on another account. And he just uses scroll charged rune books to recall around now ( it used to be that you had a chance of failing even with using recall scrolls unless you had a little magery, I was forever making piles of recall scrolls for my exe's dad's macer ( pre chiv days too ) for this very reason )

I just know how terribly behind I am with so much, not having played consistently for a couple of years. I just don't want to totally get rid of the magery ( yes I know its not that hard to raise magery to 40 from scratch but it does take time that I don't really have ) and then find out there is some kind of essential Elf widget that I can't make because I don't have the magery skill :D

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You never know if you have to safe it for a future Gargoyle. ;)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, but you can buy 40 magery from the mage trainer in New Haven. So no loss.

Even if it was useful for crafting... no loss.

C

Cat Crimson

I just checked that. I was able to buy up to just under 30 with a mage and the rest with the Inscription instructor. That's definitely something new(er) as back in the day you only used to be able to buy skills up to around 30 or so.

T

T_Amon_from_work

The New Haven trainers can get you to 40 with the skill quests to get you to 50. Lots easier than days gone by fer shoor!

C

Cat Crimson

Yeah, maybe I should just sit on my back porch waving a gnarled staff and telling the youngsters to get offa my lawn..... !

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just know how terribly behind I am with so much, not having played consistently for a couple of years. I just don't want to totally get rid of the magery ( yes I know its not that hard to raise magery to 40 from scratch but it does take time that I don't really have ) and then find out there is some kind of essential Elf widget that I can't make because I don't have the magery skill :D
I know this feeling exactly.

If you NEED the skill space for something else, drop it. It's not that hard to get back. But, if it's on a soulstone and you don't need to use it for something else, eh, just leave it. You never know, you might want to add it to a char sometime. And who knows how SA will change skill interactions/interdependence.

C

Cat Crimson

Well, now I know I can buy it up to 40 I will just lose it off the soulstone. And yes there is always that sneaking suspicion that whatever the next publish/expansion brings, it will include having to frantically re-build templates and skills that were previously useless. ( Can ya say Arms Lore ?? )