• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

DA etiquette

L

Little Sadie

Yesterday was the first time I have been in a DA since February. I've put it off as long as a I can. LOL! I did make it into Top toons for the first time on Feline Feline though. Anyway I just wanted to see how others feel about something.

When someone runs to a puzzle and triggers the skeles I expect them to use a level 7 to get us out of it. It bothers me to no end that the person that got us into this mess now pulls out lure or a fog or even an ele. This happened in a DA A. This toon ran up and said I'll get this one and he ran right into it without even trying. He yells Yay! like this is the point of this game. We line up and he proceeds to lure. I don't think so! After we get rid of those cogs I go to the other one which was the easy match one. Well this same toon runs right over and steps on the red skull that you don't even need to go near! Once again the skeles are triggered and he pulls out a pie this time. The other two pull out pies also. I told them this isn't what I'm looking for and left.

I can see if no one knows how to do the games and everyone encourages someone to try it. I am more then willing to pull out a level 7 if someone is brave enough to try out the games and then triggers the skeles. What I don't like is someone to run right up to it like they know what they are doing, trigger the skeles, and then don't use the level 7 to get out quickly.

Level 7s are earned back fast enough so that it isn't like it is some kind of hardship in using it. Most of my friends feel the same way about using the level 7s when tripping the game. I do have one or two friends that cling on their level 7s like they were gold and refuse to use them. These generally are the friends that can't do the games either. LOL!

So what, if anything do you expect out of people that trigger these games? Just by one day in law it is all coming back to me on why I hated DAs so much. There is more things for others to mess up on and therefore prolong my agony in a DA. :D

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't been back since I maxed, but it's considered a common courtesy to use a level 7 if you trigger the cogs. BUT If that person doesn't, it's kind if someone else pulls one out. Sometimes you'll get the "ZOMG11! I likee des pusslez, I runn thru dem likee a maineeac" people who won't use a level 7 though. Good luck in the DA!

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, considering it was an A, I wouldn't waste a level 7. That said, if I blew a puzzle, I always used a 7 to get us out of it quickly. That doesn't mean everyone will.

As for the rest, there are toons I encountered who believed you had to kill all the cogs to get the most notes, and that meant triggering all the holos. A couple times this happened to us and they had a "Defeat XXX skelecogs" task.

F

Flippers

Being an A you have to be lax in rules if you're going with toons trying to work out their brrgh or DDL tasks. However on a run with other seasoned toons, one would expect the unwritten laws to apply.

C

CooperColeman

I, too, avoid the DAs like the plague. But on one particular run that I remember, I think I was with Marge and Deb, but I'm not sure...there was a little toon who kept activating the skeles. We told her to "Stop that" and "Wait," but she kept running ahead. Sad to say, she went sad. She was going ahead without even waiting to see if we were going to work on the other puzzle.

L

Little Sadie

I was just wondering about DAs in general. These 3 toons I went in with where 101, 105, and 110 laff. They were definitely not working on the Brggh tasks. They have to have played enough to know how it goes. I really am looking forward to needing DA Ds and Back 9s again. Between putting up with the shuffling of gagless wonders wanting to play in a front 3 and those pestering to get in to a DA A, I've about had it already. LOL!

F

Fangs McWolf

When someone runs to a puzzle and triggers the skeles I expect them to use a level 7 to get us out of it. It bothers me to no end that the person that got us into this mess now pulls out lure or a fog or even an ele. This happened in a DA A. This toon ran up and said I'll get this one and he ran right into it without even trying. He yells Yay! like this is the point of this game. We line up and he proceeds to lure. I don't think so! After we get rid of those cogs I go to the other one which was the easy match one. Well this same toon runs right over and steps on the red skull that you don't even need to go near! Once again the skeles are triggered and he pulls out a pie this time. The other two pull out pies also. I told them this isn't what I'm looking for and left.
When I trigger a hologame.. It's either because I was running forward and my keyboard locked for a moment (has happened a couple of times) or because it's the Skull Finder game and I made a bad move. So it's rare. Either way, I'm actually prepared and willing to fight the holo's all on my own, whipping out a level 7 to kill them off quickly. I do that because my belief is that if I trigger them, then no one else should be expected to deal with my mistake.

That said, when that second puzzle was triggered, I don't blame you for bailing out after that. If they continued on without you, I'm sure they didn't get too far before counting snowflakes on the ground. If nothing else, should encourage them to let others engage the cogs first, which would mean letting others solve the puzzles.

What you might do next time is have at least 1 friend with you, then that way if you go in and there's some dummy triggering the puzzles on purpose, you can warn them "Stop that!" and "I wouldn't if I were you" and such and if they ignore you, let them battle the holo's on their own for that one. After that I'm sure they'll let you take a whack at the puzzles if they know that they'll be left on their own if they trigger them. If not, they learn the harsh lesson of the free automatic trip to The Brrrrgh.

If I come across someone who is either purposely triggering the games or who won't stay away from the games when they constantly mess up, then after the 2nd time, I generally bail out. If I continue on though, I refuse to join the holo battles. Rarely had to do either, but it saves aggravation and sometimes you notice those dummies being a bit smarter in the future.

I really am looking forward to needing DA Ds and Back 9s again. Between putting up with the shuffling of gagless wonders wanting to play in a front 3 and those pestering to get in to a DA A, I've about had it already. LOL!
#1 avoid back 9's like the plague. In about the time it takes to do a back 9, you could do 2 middle 6's and get more options for it. In the long run, it's way better.

Even though I've fallen behind schedule, I'm hoping to max law before Halloween day. Might not happen though, since I haven't been feeling well lately, and in turn I haven't been working it much. I didn't do the CJ this past Sunday and was kinda glad to miss out on it, because I was able to lay down. But presuming I feel better in the next day or two, I'll be trying like mad to catch up on everything. Anyways, if you're on at the right times, you might see me hanging around the 'D' to get notes.

I know what you mean about the little ones begging to be able to go into the 'A'. Sometimes they need the eagles or wigs, sometimes they just wanna see what it's like. When I've taken small ones in, I've been fortunate to usually get a group that will listen to instruction. I handle the puzzles, then we continue on and fight the cogs. If there is one who refuses to follow the plan, then that player is usually the one who disappears quickly, then the rest of us continue on and win.

L

Little Sadie

I did end up bringing a friend in the next time. LOL! I had been doing D DAs ans buidlings up til that point so this was my first A in a long time. May be my last. LOL!

As for Back 9s, I actually got to prefer them to Middle 6s. I always went with better groups in the Back 9s and that makes up a lot of time when dealing with others. Not that the toons doing Middle 6s weren't good, but the Back 9s always seemed to go quicker.

F

Flippers

I cant look forward to back nines. In fact I learned from friends who maxed boss that it's best just to do sixes.

However I used to have a lot of fun with 2-man office Ds. I need to find skilled toons who enjoy a challenge. They averaged about 35-40 min and we rarely needed unites.

Elga

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back Nine's are too risky for losing your connection. You get 30 minutes in and get disco'd. Then you :fight: your computer monitor. I remember that happening in DA's, but those didn't take quite as long.

L

Little Sadie

I cant look forward to back nines. In fact I learned from friends who maxed boss that it's best just to do sixes.

However I used to have a lot of fun with 2-man office Ds. I need to find skilled toons who enjoy a challenge. They averaged about 35-40 min and we rarely needed unites.
I do think it might be better to do 6s in some cases and for some people. Not in my case. If I did a middle 6 I would not go right back in and do another. I would take a break and do something else. Doing 9s actually got me through quicker because once I got in there I had to stay. I maxed boss in 7 weeks so it was a good strategy for me. If I did 6s I'd probably still be trying to max boss. LOL! I plan on doing the same thing when I max Feline in boss though it will take me a lot longer to max her! I plan on maxing all her suits in one day. That will be another year before that happens. LOL!

It is nice to have a laff limit on the back 9s too. I just wish they had a gag limit too where you have to have all your gags maxed before going into a back 9 but that's another vent. LOL!

L

Little Sadie

Back Nine's are too risky for losing your connection. You get 30 minutes in and get disco'd. Then you :fight: your computer monitor. I remember that happening in DA's, but those didn't take quite as long.
Do they still have lots of discos in back 9s? I remember it being pretty bad back when it first came out. I got lucky and didn't get booted too much. Still problems?

S

soupandquackers

They still have a lot of discos in the whole BBHQ. I like to do multiple 6's but i do 9's on occasion.

G

Granjell

Once again - I have learned something new. I honestly can't recall anyone who tripped the skels ever pulling out a level 7 to clear them quickly. Personally, I have learned to wait until whichever toon knows what they're doing to go and do the puzzles. This way, I think I have learned which puzzles I can confidently do and which I cannot (dancing skulls for 800, Alex!). However, much more recently I find that the higher level toon randoms are knowing how to glitch the puzzles, thereby defeating my effort to figure out the skullfinder or whatever. One even asked, "Would you like some help?" and when I replied no thank you, went ahead and glitched it -- I guess I was taking too long.

I don't think I could ever stand back and let someone try to battle the skels by themselves until going sad. I think the one time we had a clueless wonder along who tripped both sets, we just waited one round before joining and rescuing their butt. I think someone had the phrase "That'll learn ya!" and used it.

Very interesting discussion, though, and I thank you all for the insights into DA etiquette and expectations.

F

Fangs McWolf

Once again - I have learned something new. I honestly can't recall anyone who tripped the skels ever pulling out a level 7 to clear them quickly. Personally, I have learned to wait until whichever toon knows what they're doing to go and do the puzzles.
Must be a bad rash of selfish players then. Many have always felt that if you trip it, you should fix it. Not like "your mess you clean it up", but more like a courtesy thing, where it's just polite to get past it quickly instead of holding everyone up for longer than it needs to take.

However, much more recently I find that the higher level toon randoms are knowing how to glitch the puzzles, thereby defeating my effort to figure out the skullfinder or whatever. One even asked, "Would you like some help?" and when I replied no thank you, went ahead and glitched it -- I guess I was taking too long.
That was rude of them. If I'm working Skull Finder and I'm stuck where it's a random guess, then I'm partial to someone glitching so we don't have to try to fight the holo's if a bad guess is made, but if it's solvable, then even if it takes a couple of minutes, I feel the solver should have that chance. Some people see glitching as a form of cheating. Something like the puzzles, it may offend someone to glitch past them and that should be respected.

I don't think I could ever stand back and let someone try to battle the skels by themselves until going sad. I think the one time we had a clueless wonder along who tripped both sets, we just waited one round before joining and rescuing their butt. I think someone had the phrase "That'll learn ya!" and used it.
It's a case by case basis. If the player looks like they are trying to do it right, but then they mess up, and it happens more than 2 times, then I'm not going to let them go down in sadness. That's if it looks like they are really trying to play it right but are just making mistakes. But if it looks like they are being careless/wreckless then after the 2nd time, that's when they need to do a battle all on their own. If they are near losing, then if they've already started apologizing and following instruction (like if I say that I think they should choose lure) then yeah I'll go ahead and join because by then they realize that I'm not just going to let them ruin the run for me. If they try it again after that, then they can just go sad and they'll see that pretending to learn a lesson only works once.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was rude of them. If I'm working Skull Finder and I'm stuck where it's a random guess, then I'm partial to someone glitching so we don't have to try to fight the holo's if a bad guess is made, but if it's solvable, then even if it takes a couple of minutes, I feel the solver should have that chance. Some people see glitching as a form of cheating. Something like the puzzles, it may offend someone to glitch past them and that should be respected.
Bah. Never. EVER. Glitch. the Puzzles. No way around it, it is cheating.

You made me pull out my old sig image.

F

Flippers

Glitching puzzles while someone was on it often stuck them and the run was sabotaged for them or the whole group.

The worst thing IMHO is when someone trips the skels and leads them into using their eles and fogs to clean them up.

Always include other toons in the cleanup, even if you have the level 7. They may not be extra JNs but they do count against the task for any cogs anywhere ;)

F

Fangs McWolf

Always include other toons in the cleanup, even if you have the level 7. They may not be extra JNs but they do count against the task for any cogs anywhere ;)
The problem is that some trigger the games on purpose just to get those extra cogs, showing no concern for those who are only after the notes.

G

Granjell

It's so hard to know other toons motivations unless they are willing and able to use the speedchat to communicate the ideas, whether they are after skels, or notices, or whatever. Most of the time I try to live and let live, but all these different considerations are mind-blowing to me right now.

L

Little Sadie

I just think, no matter what the motivation of the person that sets off the cogs, it is courtesy to use a level 7. I have went to a puzzle and thought I had it only to set it off. I used a level 7 even though my intentions were good. I wasn't about to hold up the group because of my mistake.

F

Fangs McWolf

I just think, no matter what the motivation of the person that sets off the cogs, it is courtesy to use a level 7. I have went to a puzzle and thought I had it only to set it off. I used a level 7 even though my intentions were good. I wasn't about to hold up the group because of my mistake.
That's how I feel. I feel that I should whip it out and use it. If a player is really trying to do it right and you can tell that they are doing their best to not mess up.. to the point that you feel that you couldn't have done any better than them (like you would have made the same mistake if you had been doing that puzzle instead of them), thats when I feel that I can let it slide if they don't use a 7. After all, everyone makes mistakes. But when they're a bit careless, they need to sacrifice that 7. I'll use a 7 just to be like "oops, I screwed up, so I'll fix it." Unless someone else pulls a 7 before me, at which point I'm thinking, "It was my mess up but if they want to burn one of theirs, cool with me."

Z

ZippyW

I agree with Trish. I never glitch the puzzles. I've even stopped glitching in bullion and go ahead and run the jumps. If you were the 4th toon, there's not much difference in time, and sometimes I finish before the 3rd one gets through! I just make sure that when I go, I have a TF that can do the puzzles too, and can yell at me if I'm about to make a mistake. I also didn't know there was some etiquette about using a 7 if the puzzle gets tripped. I have nothing against that, but I don't think I would assume that some random toon would know there is a rule regarding that, not unless it's in the TT guide.

L

Little Sadie

I don't know how to glitch the puzzles in the DA. I have seen people do it but don't know how it's done. I do glitch the barrel in the bullion if I am first or second. If I'm last then I just go do the jumps as I will usually get there the same time as the last one that does the barrels.

While it isn't a rule to use a level 7 I just think people that mess up would do it out of courtesy. I know most groups I have gone in with do use a level 7 if they trip the puzzle. While it might not be written anywhere, I am always surprised when one doesn't chose it. I didn't need to see it written in any guide. I just knew that if I messed up it was my responsibility to get us out of it as quickly as possible. Common sense doesn't have to be a rule.

G

Granjell

I sometimes wish they could program in some common sense for those who don't seem to have any....

F

Flippers

The problem is that some trigger the games on purpose just to get those extra cogs, showing no concern for those who are only after the notes.
Some dummies will trip the holocogs because they DO think it means extra JNs. I had that problem with a 120s cat over a year ago in a run. She made it look like I tripped up the first minesweeper puzzle when I wasn't even stepping. She was right on the side and stepped on a lone square.

F

Fangs McWolf

Some dummies will trip the holocogs because they DO think it means extra JNs. I had that problem with a 120s cat over a year ago in a run. She made it look like I tripped up the first minesweeper puzzle when I wasn't even stepping. She was right on the side and stepped on a lone square.
Who was on the far right of the battle line? If she tripped it, then she was on the far right. :)

F

Flippers

Who was on the far right of the battle line? If she tripped it, then she was on the far right. :)
Clearly stepping on a lone square in an otherwise clear quadrant.

The other two were paying attention to the other puzzle.

She said "I need more JNs" when she did it a second time a couple floors later.

F

Fangs McWolf

Clearly stepping on a lone square in an otherwise clear quadrant.

The other two were paying attention to the other puzzle.

She said "I need more JNs" when she did it a second time a couple floors later.
"This isn't what you need." "Trust me!"

F

Flippers

With her laff I'm sure someone mustve tried to tell her before.

OR she was on mommy' toon. There's always that.

I love 2 man Office D's

Z

ZippyW

I'm not sure about the common sense part. I've had friends that were not aware of the invasion rules until I told them not to worry about it until the end. Unless they are going to web sites, are told in the guide, or have some TF tell them, they may just not have done it often enough to have thought of it. And I know when I first started making TF's, there were some that we tried to TF with who didn't know what the heck we were doing with the pics at our estate!! (hope that isn't against the rules to mention) I never thought that was because they lacked common sense, but that they just hadn't been given much info on that. I've had a few forehead slapping moments, the biggest being about planting my 7, which I'm sure seemed like common sense to some, but I just didn't concentrate on it at first.

D

Dynozap

I don't know if the L7 etiquete thing applies to the A or B office. It doesn't bother me if we throw/squirt our way through some holocogs in the smaller offices. Everybody is going to end up with extra L6 gags anyway so why not use them on the holo's?

I don't think the DA puzzle glitch will last much longer. If you working an HQ and using this glitch to save time then I'd suggest make the most of this glitch while it still works. Too many toons in sell HQ are using the same glitch to show off and a lot of people are using another variation to cut through mazes. It has reached point where it is detracting from game quality. I expect TT will fix it as a result.

F

Fangs McWolf

I love 2 man Office D's
Gee, I wonder if you love doing 2 man Office D's...

And I know when I first started making TF's, there were some that we tried to TF with who didn't know what the heck we were doing with the pics at our estate!! (hope that isn't against the rules to mention) I never thought that was because they lacked common sense, but that they just hadn't been given much info on that.
One SF that I tried to make (along with another SF), she didn't get it... at first. After a few failed attempts, I did the picture trick AND used a phrase at the same time. After a few of those, she caught on and said that she can't. So I tried something different, spelling out "MSN", and she said "yes" and we were able to talk on there. Turns out that she had to wait a few days for her credit card to arrive and be activated (I forget what had happened that she didn't have it). She has since stopped playing TT and she gave me one of her toons.

I don't think the DA puzzle glitch will last much longer. If you working an HQ and using this glitch to save time then I'd suggest make the most of this glitch while it still works. Too many toons in sell HQ are using the same glitch to show off and a lot of people are using another variation to cut through mazes. It has reached point where it is detracting from game quality. I expect TT will fix it as a result.
I don't even know how to do that glitch (or I might but not realize it). Only glitches I really do are in the factory (warehouse, but that's been fixed the last I knew of), mints (to get up to the platform or to skip the goons in a pit) and the fun ones where you go places in the playground/estate/streets that you're normally not supposed to.