• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Custom Keep Balcony

Grugot

Journeyman
Great Lakes - Marble Island.

What I can't figure out is how he was able to fill in the spots where there was an arch on the main floor preventing placing a paver and raising it. Gotta be a trick to it.

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you can place pavers on any floor tile. use circle of trans if walls are in the way. you can also go outside a house, use circle of trans and place pavers on the edges of foundation to make 18x18 into a 19x19, just have to go inside to raise those up.
also, you can use goza mats and raise those up, if you can reach where you want to put a floor paver.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do the pavers work for the north-east wall corner? Because I can't figure out how to place a goza mat there.

Last edited:

Grugot

Journeyman
I've gone one tile in on the north-east side. I haven't tried extending out but the other person didnt seem to do it so I'm guessing it can't be done.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It can! I'd seen many castles and some keeps with an extra floor, going as far as the north-east corner, so I knew it had to be possible. While I'd tried and tried again with goza mats, it didn't work. But pavers do exactly what I need.
Go to north-east corner outside the building, put on circle of transparancy, place, lift with house placement tool and ready.
Thanks so much!
The next days, I won't be bored, gathering approximately 5K granite and then crafting the necessary 1300 pavers to create an extra floor. :thumbsup:
1704578258720.png

COOPERebc

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Great Lakes - Marble Island.

What I can't figure out is how he was able to fill in the spots where there was an arch on the main floor preventing placing a paver and raising it. Gotta be a trick to it.
Another handy trick is using the trash can.

Place the trash can (will automatically appear the exact tile your player is standing), place the item you want to place inside, chop the trash can with axe, then your item remains in the spot the trash can was.

Also works with crates etc. But super handy when you have an item that for whatever reason is not placing.

Grugot

Journeyman
I've been having issues with placing a corner carpet piece. The trashcan idea worked but I couldn't lock it down so now it disappeared. Any ideas on that one?

1704672310114.png

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
can you raise it from floor below

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It can! I'd seen many castles and some keeps with an extra floor, going as far as the north-east corner, so I knew it had to be possible. While I'd tried and tried again with goza mats, it didn't work. But pavers do exactly what I need.
Go to north-east corner outside the building, put on circle of transparancy, place, lift with house placement tool and ready.
Thanks so much!
The next days, I won't be bored, gathering approximately 5K granite and then crafting the necessary 1300 pavers to create an extra floor. :thumbsup:
View attachment 150898
The easiest way to put pavers around the wall is with a ladder, caslte style... then on the 3 hight places where you can stand, click a goza onto yourself and lower those 3 into their desired height +1, once you're finished, just lay pavers on top of the gozas, lower the pavers once (-1) so they are at the correct desired height, and redeed the gozas. Only the 4the floor is a bit harder since pavers cant go above a certain height.. there you have to lower the paver, redeed the goza and raise the paver to its max again.

No corner or hard to reach spot will stop you now... (I recomend leaving the pavers that go all the way back.... may look a bit off at the corners but removing them creates a nightmare if you ever move a wall.

1704812784584.png

Last edited:

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried the ladder/goza system, but unfortunately, I never got to the NE corner. The pavers worked, so I'm quite satisfied.

I understand what you mean by leaving the pavers. Good tip! Many thanks!

Thank you for the screenshot too. I'm curious about your castle. Would you give the coordinates so that I can visit it?

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The NE corner is tricky because you have to place a castle ladder (direction north) on top of the gozas or pavers that make the eastern wall... it's definitely tricky and half the time I just ended falling down. I myself have to do it now in order to build the roof of the white colonnade, But that will require the globe sculpture and I can't quite make up my mind what colour would be best to make those brass floors.

you are welcome to visit anytime you want, though the roof is a mess under perpetual renovations, lol

it on Origin at w1, 1987, 2265, 0 (56o 20'S, 46o 41'E)
(the dark blue flower after entering will teleport you to the 3rd floor and there's a ladder there in front of the high bookcases that takes you faster to the4th floor) ..

also, there is a secret ladder on each corner to take you up or down, apart from the double staircase.. 1 south of the blue salon SW, 1 in the broken furniture room NW (many secret wall doors to that room, or just enter through the passage by walking behind blackthorn's throne. last ladder hides out the balcony of the SE gargoyle room. Have fun :)

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went outside to the NE corner, placed my paver, went back inside to double click it and the lifted it with the tool. And when I had it on the required height, I could place a goza on it too.
But I'll see once again if I can get the ladder system within my stride too.

Thank you! I've just returned from your place. It's very nice!
I made some screenies so that I can steal some of your ideas. :cool:
I particularly like what you did with the skull rug and how on the first floor you've placed the flowers on top/in front of the stairs to give the impression that it's not there at all. The composition with the lighthouse is very clever. Impressive castle!

Regarding the brass colour, someone once had a house displaying how the pigments look on stone. The owner demolished it, but I was still able to save the pictures.
1704869601601.png

1704869636740.png

1704869677206.png

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you very much for the pics with the colour results, its invaluable!

And thanks for visiting, I feel honored you liked my castle enough to take some screenies :D. Talking about lighthouse, did you know one can get inside them... not much to do, but a great hiding place... in mine, going up the ladder to the green chair one can go 2 steps into it :smile2:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I went outside to the NE corner, placed my paver, went back inside to double click it and the lifted it with the tool. And when I had it on the required height, I could place a goza on it too.
But I'll see once again if I can get the ladder system within my stride too.

Thank you! I've just returned from your place. It's very nice!
I made some screenies so that I can steal some of your ideas. :cool:
I particularly like what you did with the skull rug and how on the first floor you've placed the flowers on top/in front of the stairs to give the impression that it's not there at all. The composition with the lighthouse is very clever. Impressive castle!

Regarding the brass colour, someone once had a house displaying how the pigments look on stone. The owner demolished it, but I was still able to save the pictures.
View attachment 150978

View attachment 150979

View attachment 150980
Wow - really great work! Thank you for sharing.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Another handy trick is using the trash can.

Place the trash can (will automatically appear the exact tile your player is standing), place the item you want to place inside, chop the trash can with axe, then your item remains in the spot the trash can was.

Also works with crates etc. But super handy when you have an item that for whatever reason is not placing.
Use the round bags for that. Put the item in it, stand where you want it, Axe the bag inside your backpack.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone told me that you're not allowed to lift stone pavers because it would be taking advantage of a bug and you can be banned for it.
Does anyone know if that's true? I find it difficult to believe because there are quite a few castles with high pavers.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone told me that you're not allowed to lift stone pavers because it would be taking advantage of a bug and you can be banned for it.
Does anyone know if that's true? I find it difficult to believe because there are quite a few castles with high pavers.
never heard that one before. I hope its not true I have pavers lifted in a couple houses :oops:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to my knowledge. IF it were true I think half the players in UO that like deco would be banned, including me! If you lift them too high off the roof area you'll run up against the z axis ceiling height, they won't stay and you'll find them in your moving crate. I believe someone did find an exploit to defeat the ceiling height, that might get you in trouble, but I think it got fixed.

Donzer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That does indeed sound like something bannable, and this is probably what my friend heard.
Thanks for the replies, all. I'm back to lifting 900+ pavers! o_O
if its the stone tiles, then I will use 3 stone blocks. You can stack them on top of each other, without locking them down, then drop a stone tile on top, double click that to lock it, and move the stone blocks. That will raise them +15 in height I believe.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the suggestion, @Donzer
It's indeed a good system, which on certain locations in the castle will help a lot.
I also found a macro which keeps me from going crazy. And considering who's giving that advice, I feel more resolved that as long as you don't lieft the pavers too high, you should be safe.
The only disadvantage is that the macro only seems to work in EC. There are worse things ...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you have a house behind your house and you add another floor that does not allow the other house to see their entry anymore. That person could complain and you could be asked to remove the floor until it stops covering the front of the house behind you.

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you for the suggestion, @Donzer
It's indeed a good system, which on certain locations in the castle will help a lot.
I also found a macro which keeps me from going crazy. And considering who's giving that advice, I feel more resolved that as long as you don't lieft the pavers too high, you should be safe.
The only disadvantage is that the macro only seems to work in EC. There are worse things ...
The max height is 74, even if you try to place a paver at 74 but say you are standing on top of a cube, the paver will revert back to your backpack automatically as soon as you try to get it out, either directly or inside a pouch.

There are some problems not often mentioned with the height 74.
- For you to be able to walk at that height, all the walls on the lower floor must be lowered 1 click, or they will block your way on the roof. (if you built your 3 floor to be flat and clear all the ramparts unimpeded)
- The glass and sand tiles will act up, because they also alow only a height of 74, you cant raise them above that, and they tend to fall under the pavers. If you manage to place them so they don't get swallowed (by lowering the grass once and then raising it again), they will not be perfect every day, but I think it's worth it.

This means that on odd days after server reboot, the sand tiles will look good, and the grass looks choppy... and on even days after server reboot, the grass will look perfect and the sand will be botchy, like in these pics:

Odd days sand is good.jpg Even days grass is good.jpg