Custom Housing, why have not other games used it?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
G

Hail: On the, "Hey EA, it is me UO subscriber" thread, UO seems to be saying they can't tell us stuff, as it is a secret, and others might steal their idea's.

So, simple question. Housing is UO. If they said, "We are taking your house storage space, and adding it to your bank box, so you lose NO storage space, but are getting rid of housing to free up memory space", How many of US would stay? imhop, Not Many.

So.....Why have not other games seen this and said, "Let's create housing in our game, and steal even more players away from UO? If I made a new online game, "Chrono Trigger", as example, Housingm is the first thing i would have in the game. Your thoughts? Hey, EA, Your thoughts?

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 24, 2003
Many games already have housing and/or guild housing - not all of it instanced, either. AC, AO, EQ2, LOTRO, TSO, 2ndLife, and above all these in attractiveness and closeness to Ultima: SWG, not coincidentally, I suspect, owing to the initial presence of the same creative designer, Raph Koster.

And all of those games have stolen and will continue to steal players away from UO, along with plenty of other games that make up for a lack of housing with innovative gameplay, regular updates, and community contact that UO's been losing for the last year.

B

BadManiac

Maybe we're old, or maybe we're just better than other MMO players. But when I mention about UO's incredible custom housing to friends who play lesser games such as WoW and Eve, they just laugh. They genuinely don't understand why you'd ever want, or need to have a house. No ammount of explaining seems to get the point across either.
Maybe no other game is as open ended, free form, interactive and customizable as UO because everyone not already playing UO are too dumb?

G

After observing people in everyday life, I get the feeling many can't handle the open-ended gameplay. *shrugs*

Personally, I love the freedom UO provides me. The customization is endless...You don't feel just like another of the same 4 or 5 characters, you feel unique. It does require more planning and thought, though....seems this is not fun for many people.

K

Kayne

I agree with little blue. The open ended game play is what makes UO so much fun for me. I had a free trial of WoW and of EQ2. Both of which i felt were too restrictive in terms of skills etc.
In UO i can be anything i want to be including a sword fighting cattle herder named bob.