• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Curiosity question

• Thread starter Ugly Wrinkleflip
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
U

Ugly Wrinkleflip

I recently got a 72 hour suspension for calling myself a TARD then A ******. Apparently Disney feels that is offensive.

The question I have is which Phrase would get your child a smart bottom if said?

1) I am a tard, ******?

2) What in Sam HILL is goin on here? (approved by Disney TOS and available in the Cattlelog)

I know my answer and I plan on calling Disney to voice it. As well as email then with The same Opinion.

I do realize it is nit respectful to call anyone a ******. And I don't want to offend anyone. But I feel that if my 5 or 9 year old is walking thru WALMART and says"What in Sam HILL is going on here?" They both with get a smart bottom as well as a nice stint of sitting in their rooms.

Now I also realize it is not going to get me back on toontown any faster by voicing my opinion:wall:.

I am just curious as to everyones thoughts.

B

bibslady

1) I am a tard, ******?

2) What in Sam HELL is goin on here? (approved by Disney TOS and available in the Cattlelog)

I am just curious as to everyones thoughts.
Ok, I'll try to give my opinion about this, please don't be upset;

I am Substitute Teacher and specialize in Special Ed. The term "tard" or "******" (although I know you didn't mean it literally) kind of bothers me. It refers to a person's condition (something they can't help) and is as offensive (and hurtful) as any insult or even a racial put down/slang. The phrase "What in Sam’s HILL is going on here" doesn't refer to anyone personally and wouldn't be personally hurtful. (The phrase is HILL, but we all know what they mean right?)

Again, I know you didn't mean it as an insult to anyone. And I think just asking you not to say it would have been enough.

As far as a smart bottom? I wouldn't want my students to say either. But would let them off with an explanation and warning for either.

Hope this helps.
Hugs,
bibslady

G

Granjell

Actually, the phrase is "What in Sam HILL" not "Sam "HELL"... I would be thrilled if my kids knew an unusual phrase like that rather than some others I could think of.... (Now I have to go look up the origin of that phrase - thanks Mr. Curiosity!)

And, since I know several people who suffer from mental retardation, including my youngest brother, I think I can say this with some experience. I do not take any personal offense at use the phrase in a joking way, as I believe you used it -- however I would not want my child to use it in ANY way.

But I try not to spank their bottoms except in fun! They would time out unhappily in the corner however.

U

Ugly Wrinkleflip

I was reading the phrase lists and I was wrong. I edited my post to be correctly. But either way my kids would get a stern talking to fi I heard them it even with hill because it sounds so close and we do all know what they mean.:wall:

S

Sally Bumblefoot

"What in Sam Hill" phrases such as "what in Sam Hill is going on here" and "run like Sam Hill" refer to an "historical" figure who continually ran for office (47 out of 49 elections) without success. There is a huge question as to whether or not he ever existed. It is now an euphemism for the word it sounds like. It isnt really a play on words, just vents the frustration surrounding this "person"!! I would think it would be inappropriate for it to be included in the chat phrases and I shake my head at why it is there. I have been wondering about that one for a long time!! Everyone has their own opinion though!! It really is no different then "what the heck" or "darn it". There is a phrase in the "sad" category that I feel shouldnt be there either for this very reason!!rolleyes:

Ok, the homeschool mom in me is coming out!! We looked this up when we first started this game and saw the phrase. Neat phrase but...........

S

Stubby

My 2 cents, the sam hill phrase is used by Yosimite Sam in the Bugs Bunny cartoons. When I see it, that is what it makes me think of. He used that phrase and sometimes the word "tarnation" in place of Sam Hill. I am probably waaaaaaaaaay off, but just thought I would point that out. (I didn't give away my age or anything did I :lol: ) :popcorn:

Sandi

S

Sally Bumblefoot

(I didn't give away my age or anything did I :lol: ) :popcorn:

Sandi
Nah, we know we are both 25 Sandi, right?:lol: I just keep having anniversaries of my 25th birthday.

This phrase is in a lot of places cuz it is so catchy. I have loved the sound of it since I first heard it. Its one of those things that once you listen for it you hear it a lot. I remember the "what in tarnation" and the Sam Hill phrase from Yosimite also but so do my kids so we are safe!! But it IS a VERY old saying. Well, I'm gonna go get me a cabin in the sky!!!

U

Ugly Wrinkleflip

My 2 cents, the sam hill phrase is used by Yosimite Sam in the Bugs Bunny cartoons. When I see it, that is what it makes me think of. He used that phrase and sometimes the word "tarnation" in place of Sam Hill. I am probably waaaaaaaaaay off, but just thought I would point that out. (I didn't give away my age or anything did I :lol: ) :popcorn:

Sandi
I realize this too. But have you noticed that 90% of all teh Bug's Bunny cartoons are not ALLOWED to be played due to inapropriate nature of one sort or another? I grew up watching them and hated to see them removed from the air. So if they are inapropriate for TV including Disney Channel then they are also inapropriate for the game.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Edit: Gonna play with a bunny the wife made on a freebie account for now.

S

soupandquackers

I have never heard of a looney toons episode getting banned due to behavior..

S

SSniffleslam

In this age of political correctness, there are tons!! of those old cartoons that would be seen as inappropriate. Personally, I can put my PC gene away at will and still have a laugh, but that's probably why I'm not in public service of any kind and I loved George Carlin....you know, there is such a thing as being too PC!!

M

MissPoodledoodle

I didn't know that the Sam's Hill phrase could upset people. I have that phrase. Should I get rid of it? Sometimes in chat I say words like heck and dang. Sorry if I upset anyone.:bored:

U

Ugly Wrinkleflip

I personally am not offended by anyone or what they say. I believe in your own opinion. The problem with PC is that there are people that look right at someone with cold eyes and blurt whatever stupid thought they might have. Weather it be a comment about their clothes, social status, gender, race, weight, physical deformaties, or even their mental status. So someone somewhere had to slow them down. In the process they have taken control of every aspect of life in some fashon or another.

Cartoons banned on tv but ARSENIO HALL COULD SAY WHATEVER HE WANTED ON TV.

Words banned from school book's but Hugh can sell his rag in every convienience store.

You can't say this or that but you can watch a show about a serial killer that is a hero.(I do like this show)

It don't matter really. I was just making a useless point anyway.

:twak:

Y

YoungUn

I find 'tard or ****** a lot more offensive than the sam hill statement. I do work with disabled & elderly and have a disabled child, so it may be perspective too.
Sam Hill reminds me of Yosemite Sam to, it was intersting to read the history of the phrase.
If I remember right, some of the store names in Toontown used to be a bit more aimed at adults reading them, innuendos that would go over most childrens heads, but got removed due to complaints. I could be wrong though, I think I read it on another message board.

D

Dali Dalinza

If I remember right, some of the store names in Toontown used to be a bit more aimed at adults reading them, innuendos that would go over most childrens heads, but got removed due to complaints. I could be wrong though, I think I read it on another message board.
Haha...I was using one of the wonderful street maps that one of you posted online (you overachievers are much appreciated by me!) and noticed that the store in DDL labeled on the map "One Nightstand" is now "Night Stand furniture" (or something, I am recalling from memory). I had a good chuckle wondering what the flap was that changed it.

Personally, I think language benefits from a little seasoning. "Sam Hill" is generally considered to be a soft way of saying [the devil's home], but I would not be angry if my kid (or, grandkid) used it. If a child is savvy enough to use "Sam Hill" in order to keep the conversation PG I'd be ok with it. Maybe I haven't been paying attention to the reputation of "Sam Hill" in the 21st century, but it was a staple script phrase in the family fare cowboy western shows on TV that I was raised on, including Disney ones. (Yeah, I'm 28, too... ;) )

My feeling is that "tard" and "******" are terms that have no positive value in conversation. I know that the term had a surge of popularity with the movie "Borat." Using "Sam Hill" is a broad way of sparing someone's feelings (someone who thinks of the hot place as that-place-which-can't-be-named), while ****** is a direct hit at a disability, and a term that can be very hurtful.

U

Ugly Wrinkleflip

Believe me I understand where everyone is coming from.

I did not use it toward anyone except my self. And I do realize it can be a hurtful word to most.

I am not trying to offend anyone here either. I was just giving an interesting topic is all.

Lastly for those who may think I was mean or lacking in kindness. During my highschool years I was a teachers assistant for the disabilities classes in my school instead of taking PE. I was also a volunteer for the special olympics 2 years in a row. Which was the most eye opening experience I have ever had. I learned more from those kids then the rest of the Jock's, Head's, preppies, and loners in school. Those kids truly enjoyed everyday that they were treated like everybody else.

I am not tootine my own horn here. I just wanted everyone to understand that I take everyting in stride one day at a time.

No offense!