• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cu training an exploit?

Magister Returns

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone told me today that training Cus on the pixies stuck on the wall is an exploit...

How can it be an exploit when they have the chance to kill the dog? I mean, it's a small chance unless I run out of bandies, but still...keeping a fresh tame alive against 5 or 6 is pretty sporty...

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I reckon it's not an exploit perse, but that it could be dubbed 'questionable', just like the 8x8 method in the past, or similar to training skills in Twisted Weald by being discorded by a satyr...

'Questionable' in my book means a GM *might* respond in more ways than one...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Technically its an exploit, it's a form of blocking. However, it is one I've used myself, and the GM's don't seem to care. But there are also better ways to train resisting spells and healing that are not questionable. The only problem is that training healing requires a bard, so either you need someone who is willing to sit there and bard for you for hours on end, or you need a second account with a bard on it.

G

The "blocking" exploit does not pertain to spell casting monsters, so training your cusidhe in this way is perfectly legal.
It's blocking things in such a way that they cannot damage you (or your pet) that is illegal.
Carry on.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Technically its an exploit, it's a form of blocking. However, it is one I've used myself, and the GM's don't seem to care. But there are also better ways to train resisting spells and healing that are not questionable. The only problem is that training healing requires a bard, so either you need someone who is willing to sit there and bard for you for hours on end, or you need a second account with a bard on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, my tamer is also a bard. What is the method? Are you talking disco the pup?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yes, you discord the puppy to train healing. The higher your discord and music the better, so use jewels if you aren't at your max already. Just discord the puppy and let it take damage, and it will train healing above 90 faster than any other method. If you have discord on your tamer you are all set for training. Discording your pet while training is the fastest way to train any skill, except perhaps magery. I haven't noticed a big difference in the speed magery trains discorded or not.

G

So far as I am aware, you're fine since:-

(a) you are not blocking anything

(b) your pet is clearly taking damage, and

(c) the pixies could theoretically* teleport at any time.

* Note: I say "theoretically" only because I've not actually seen a pixie teleport, but then I don't actually train resist on pixies either.

M

mutau

<blockquote><hr>

(c) the pixies could theoretically* teleport at any time.

* Note: I say "theoretically" only because I've not actually seen a pixie teleport, but then I don't actually train resist on pixies either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used this method to train resists on my cu's and I have seen pixies teleport. Which unfortunately leads them to the cu for a fatal nip in the tush.

G

Umm... me gots a question, my recently tamed grey cu has healing at 90 and when i took him out n used discord on him, he's still at 90 healing while other skills were reduced... so is my pet healing stuck?, if so what can i do?
it's been killing for a couple of hours while being discorded and not one 0.1 raise .. any help appreciated. Thanx in advance

E

elenka

Healing is also reduced, just like other skills, it's just displayed as 90.

Elly

G

Ahh... ic.. but it does display if healing skill is gained right? thnx for reply.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You need to fight something that will damage your pet significantly (I use shadow elementals), discord your puppy, and let your puppy take damage for best results. I will poison my puppy until he is down to around 25% health (don't do this unless your pet is fighting something that is damaging him, or he will turn around and start chewing on you, and if what he is attacking dies, he will also turn around and do the same - that's why shadow elementals are good, they don't die). Also, for best results you need to have reasonably advanced music and discord (I would guess GM or better for each). The higher, the better. Gains won't be lightning quick, but I would think you should be gaining .2 every ten minutes or so, and you will see them when you lore your pet.

G

It was always my understanding that uncontrollable spasms were the way to Grandmaster a Cu's Healing; using both methods together just might work really well. I dunno.

Disco + Rotting Corpses + only Vet your dog when it is NOT spasming (let it cure the lethal poison itself).

Let us know how that works out.

G

I don't think it's disco + rottings is it?
Isn't it disco so you don't have to farm rottings? (ie: shadow eles)

I don't power train my pets sorry, I am not "in the know" on this sort of things... I've always just played *laughs*

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

It was always my understanding that uncontrollable spasms were the way to Grandmaster a Cu's Healing; using both methods together just might work really well. I dunno.

Disco + Rotting Corpses + only Vet your dog when it is NOT spasming (let it cure the lethal poison itself).

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not sure about this, your puppy might not be able to cure level 6 (5?) poison while it is discorded. In any event, if you are discording your puppy while fighting rotting corpses you will have to keep a sharp eye on her and be ready to vet/heal if necessary. Rotting corpses on a discorded puppy might be a bit much (and for sure be careful with the added spawn if you are in Covetous).

At any rate, discord training on a shadow elemental is a much faster way to train healing over 90 than training on rotting corpses. We're talking in the order of ten times as fast, or more. But who knows, discord training on rotting corpses might be even faster.

I

imported_onthefifty

my dog is 92.5 healing. i take him to doom and put him on rc's to get bones as well as raise healing. (quite profitable by the way).

anyway to best get gains how far should i let his life bar go down?

also when he is poisoned should i vet right away or let him cure himself?

he takes a good amount of damage with 2 rc's and two mummies on him but nothing i cant vet him out off. i just stand in the middle of him so i am not targeted.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If he is to gain from rotting corpses without being discorded, then he needs to cure the poison himself and it doesn't matter how much damage he does or doesn't take. If he is being discorded then I would probably start vetting him at around 30% - 50% health so he doesn't die too easily if he runs into something unexpected.