• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crowns of the Obsidian

Envy

SotA Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
So Portalarium have finally moved to a more solid funding model (and probably about time) in terms of selling a new type of coin called “Crowns of the Obsidian”.

The coins themselves are used for purchasing items from special NPC vendors. The items include special potions that give various limited benefits as well as being able to sell them on for gold.

The coins themselves also form part of rare drops from higher level spawn……note the drops are rare but the coins are not due to them always being available for purchase.

Selling of such items will always be controversial as they can also be sold to NPCs…..personally I don’t have any real issue with it as I view them no different from any other item being purchased from a store and sold on in game (nothing has changed). The sale to NPC vendors will almost certainly be well below the market value, so that along with the item then being removed from the economy (the NPC doesn't resell) kind of works.........if you sell to a person more gold would have been farmed for the purchase plus the item will still exist.

So it helps curb gold farmers and supports the game at the same time. Needless to say despite any controversy, I’m still a big supporter and no doubt will partake in buying a few of these crowns myself.

Whyterose

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I don't have a problem with them being sold, but making them necessary to repair armor to maximum durability isn't right and does not help the crafting community.

Kara Brae

Visitor
I don't really care one way or the other about the Crowns. I do recognize that there needs to be an income generator going forward, and if the Crowns fill that role, then so be it. If they don't work out, Chris has said they will consider other options.

It disturbs me when people who make insulting comments about "whales" are the same people who cry the loudest about P2W. Don't they notice the contradiction here? Do they expect a small group of big backers to keep financing the game by buying vanity articles for their castles and keeps for all eternity while these same backers earn nothing but scorn from their detractors? At my Edelmann level (which I consider to be a significant investment) I can't even place most of the add-on-store stuff on my one-and-only village lot. Only the big backers have any use for that stuff. And I don't think that the huge potential market for this game who will purchase it on sale via Steam will be interested in paying money for vanity pets and costumes, let alone houses and lot/POT decorations.

I think Portalarium has done a good job so far trying not to sell stuff that gives a huge advantage. They even tried to nerf the Prosperity tools, recognizing that it was a mistake to introduce them at all. Chris did a good job explaining what role the Crowns will play and that the advantages they bring will be minimal. I personally don't plan to purchase any. I plan to wear my armour until it breaks and then buy a new set from a crafter.

Whyterose

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I personally have stopped testing the game because of the Crowns and the removal of Tab Targeting, again I understand the need for an continuing income however making them available to repair armor is crossing a big line for me. Sadly I have had a few friends sell their accounts because of this, which really makes me wonder how the general public will react to this once the game is released.

I think the Crowns to repair gear was a big mistake and am also considering selling my pledge as well, but only time will tell. It may be best for me to sell my account before the game is released, but am still unsure. The good side to this is I have reactivated my UO account on Great Lakes, my guild is still active and I have been having a great deal of fun with all the new content since I last played UO 5-6 years ago.

Envy

SotA Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
I personally have stopped testing the game because of the Crowns and the removal of Tab Targeting, again I understand the need for an continuing income however making them available to repair armor is crossing a big line for me. Sadly I have had a few friends sell their accounts because of this, which really makes me wonder how the general public will react to this once the game is released.

I think the Crowns to repair gear was a big mistake and am also considering selling my pledge as well, but only time will tell. It may be best for me to sell my account before the game is released, but am still unsure. The good side to this is I have reactivated my UO account on Great Lakes, my guild is still active and I have been having a great deal of fun with all the new content since I last played UO 5-6 years ago.
I wouldn't worry too much about the Crowns to be honest, it's still in its initial testing phase and no doubt will be tweaked to get the balance correct.

In terms of tab-targeting.......it's pretty much back in and will be improved further.