• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crowd control

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Can my archer use any bard skill for crowd control? I'm talking about situations where I would easily killed some monsters (like earth or air elems) one to one or would I have more room for maneurs but I get a problem vs 4-5 ones when in a closed space.

B

Bort of Atlantic

When playing my archer, I would ensure I didn't just rush into a crowded area and instead just picked off monsters that were closest. The other option is to increase your gear and skills enough that you kill things very quickly so multiple mobs aren't an issue. You could use provoke to handle multi-mob scenarios, but I don't know that you need provoke to handle these situations (the best way to handle this situation is probably to avoid it altogether). Do you have a certain place you hunt so where you're running into issues?

5% Luck

If you provoke 2 mobs together and use archery, having hit area effect will hit them both along side a Lightning Arrow would be ideal. Anything that does area effect through any means is best advised. I prefer meteor storm chain lighting and EQs but I am a mage. Also using the appropriate slayer type will make a big impact.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
If I entered to a dungeon and see 4 monsters right before me would be I able to provoke them all fast enough?

B

Bort of Atlantic

You could provoke 2 of them but would have to wait for the skill timer to be able to provoke again. If this is a concern, I'd suggest honoring everything you fight and use honor on yourself before you enter a dungeon where you expect multiple mobs are sitting in wait. Where exactly is it you're running into issues, or is this all hypothetical?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
enter dungeon.

provoke #1 onto #2

wait 5 seconds

provoke #3 onto #4

if you want stay alive for 5 seconds you may be hunting in waters that are too deep, hehe

with the bard masteries lowering the skill use timer you should be able to machine gun out the provo's fast enough to keep yourself alive.

and from above, if you provo 2 critters onto each other then use a archer (or and melee for that matter) that has area effect on their weapon your gonna knock the provo off the initial critter you provoed, which will stop the provo and put both baddies onto you, thus effectivlly nullufying the effects of the provo you worked so hard to put on your template and use.

stick with mana leech and HLD and such and direct damage spells if your gonna use a provo melee fella.

just something i noticed, thought id pass it along.

5% Luck

Huh...

Now I admit I have never actually run a bard with anything other then magery, though I wouldn't think the other area attacks would act as a peace and argo effect all balled into one. I mean I chain AoE spells and never have a problem and even get caught up in their AoEs. On a rare occasion will a mobs AoE force the retarget effect to stick but the provoke always stays intact.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
as soon as i target the main provo target and hit with a weapon they break and come after me instead.

i can beat up the 2nd target that my main provo is on, but not the main target.