• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cross polination question

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a way to get the same color seeds and cross polinate your plants? It seems like if you want certain color plants you have to self polinate them to get them to breed true but this will eliminate your chance of gettting mutant plants so I was wondering how you all deal with this problem?

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the bright colored plants they breed true when cross pollinated and this is cool for all the resource plants but if you want a plain red colored plant and cross polinate them they produce bright red seeds. So then you have to do something else to get plain red seeds. I am new to gardening sort of. I have grown a few crops..... enough to be addicted. I just wondered if any of you had figured out any systems to get the plants you wanted while crosspolinating so that you you can get the chance at mutant seeds. It looks like I will have to try something my self instead of being spoonfed. If I figure out anything I will post it here. I am growing my first set of mutant plants 7 black bullrushes and I want more LOL.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget you've got 2 days of grace before a plant starts to seed itself, and that even when it's been pollinated, you can still collect the pollen from it to cross pollinate onto other plants... so you can make a tonne of receivers, self pollinate the one you want to keep that colour, and then cross it onto the receivers to try and generate mutants.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget you've got 2 days of grace before a plant starts to seed itself, and that even when it's been pollinated, you can still collect the pollen from it to cross pollinate onto other plants... so you can make a tonne of receivers, self pollinate the one you want to keep that colour, and then cross it onto the receivers to try and generate mutants.
Thanks I am good to go now. Mainly I am interested in making dyes of different colors and getting seeds of renewal. I have stocked up on other harvestable items. I have my characters all color coded now. All their armor and weapons and spell books match :) want to get some white plants so I can have my first character all in white. That would please me greatly. Still thinking about being a merchant once again. Just thinking..... (no time for it)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but if you want a plain red colored plant and cross polinate them they produce bright red seeds. So then you have to do something else to get plain red seeds.
If you grow a plain red plant and want plain red seeds from it, just let it pollinate itself and it will give plain red seeds.

If all you have are bright red seeds or plants, cross pollinate it with a plain uncolored plant of the same type and you will get plain red seeds.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you grow a plain red plant and want plain red seeds from it, just let it pollinate itself and it will give plain red seeds.

If all you have are bright red seeds or plants, cross pollinate it with a plain uncolored plant of the same type and you will get plain red seeds.
Hmmm .... I was under the impression that any crosses with a plain colored plant result in a plain colored plant (no color).

D

DHMagicMan_1

Hmmm .... I was under the impression that any crosses with a plain colored plant result in a plain colored plant (no color).
You are correct, Percivalgoh. PLAIN will override any other color so PLAIN crossed with anything will give you PLAIN.

If you are wanting RED seeds and plants and have a RED parent then you can allow it to self-polinate or you can cross it with Orange, Purple or Green. Any time you cross a PRIMARY COLOR (Red, Blue or Yellow) with Orange, Purple or Green you always get the dark version of the primary color.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are correct, Percivalgoh. PLAIN will override any other color so PLAIN crossed with anything will give you PLAIN.

If you are wanting RED seeds and plants and have a RED parent then you can allow it to self-polinate or you can cross it with Orange, Purple or Green. Any time you cross a PRIMARY COLOR (Red, Blue or Yellow) with Orange, Purple or Green you always get the dark version of the primary color.
That's a simple rule THANKS!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Getting rusty apparently, :)

I've packed away my plant seed collection and gone back to growing just resource plants as a rule. No crossbreeding involved. Only thing I grow other than resource plants are the peculiar seeds I get when hunting after they pile up a bit. Hedges go for 25k last I sold them.