• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crimson Dragon

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oi!! 1 hit/80 damage to an all 70's suit??? So the Crimson Dragons are for tamers to hunt and the rest of us to stay away from?

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most events lately have had the same type of situation. Ranged characters have a large advantage on Berserker Demons, Dark Fathers, Shadowlords, etc., etc.

Personally I think non-casting toe-to-toe warriors need a major boost to be competitive in this arena. We should be able to tank even better than a greater dragon, just deal less damage, of course.

I

IdoBods

although i havent been able to see a crimson yet, just got home from work, i thought it was said in several spots that to take a bonded pet anywhere NEAR these dragons would risk them going insta wild on you. If that is true, i hardly consider this another monster only for tamers.

S

s20dan

Personally I think non-casting toe-to-toe warriors need a major boost to be competitive in this arena. We should be able to tank even better than a greater dragon, just deal less damage, of course.
Hell yes. This game is still totally unbalanced.

A

Aboo

Oi!! 1 hit/80 damage to an all 70's suit??? So the Crimson Dragons are for tamers to hunt and the rest of us to stay away from?
My archer did well on it last night. I didn't die once although I did come close a couple of times and she has less than a 70 resist suit.

P

Pom Pom

although i havent been able to see a crimson yet, just got home from work, i thought it was said in several spots that to take a bonded pet anywhere NEAR these dragons would risk them going insta wild on you. If that is true, i hardly consider this another monster only for tamers.
I believe you can take any pet besides a dragon. My husband used a cu sidhe the other night and it worked quite well. Yes it died a couple times, but for the most part handled it nicely. It did not become "unbonded" nor did he ever receive a message that it would. He watched very carefully.

Tamers just need to use a different pet.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two Cu Sidhe went wild on Cats last night on the Crimson. I know the dev note said dragons but I think its any bonded pet.

P

Pom Pom

Two Cu Sidhe went wild on Cats last night on the Crimson. I know the dev note said dragons but I think its any bonded pet.
Wow! My husband used his Cu Sidhe on Cats the other night and it was just fine. But this was BEFORE all the fixes that took the shards down. It was the first night. I think someone may have pushed the wrong button here.

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is just over half damage against someone with 150 hit points. Not that bad.
Indeed. This isn't a design to make melee impossible, it's a design to make everyone standing on the same tile on top of the dragon *step back* once in a while.

Admittedly, there are more things we want to do to improve combat in the future. You've already seen, though, with The Six, a bevy of different AIs that can handle melee, ranged, spellcasters, or a mix.

These Crimsons right now just tend to hurt tamers with dragons and continuous melee attackers the most.

One thing I would *love* to see is a way to make big mobs actually have more "presence" than just the center tile. Having to walk underneath a mob to hit it isn't very fun. It would be better if it "took up" tiles that outlined the whole mob, and you could stand around it more naturally.

Just wishful design thinking on the latter though, no promises.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing I would *love* to see is a way to make big mobs actually have more "presence" than just the center tile. Having to walk underneath a mob to hit it isn't very fun. It would be better if it "took up" tiles that outlined the whole mob, and you could stand around it more naturally.

Do you mean like adding weapon ranges to weapons like the long spear, bardiche, etc? or having them take up/block a tile radius, push through, etc.

But on another note the dragon is pretty cool. Took it down with 2-3 mages and me tanking it meele ;x A lot of instant death to be had though, a 80+ breath attack followed by explode/ebolt or something ;x

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Indeed. This isn't a design to make melee impossible, it's a design to make everyone standing on the same tile on top of the dragon *step back* once in a while.

Admittedly, there are more things we want to do to improve combat in the future. You've already seen, though, with The Six, a bevy of different AIs that can handle melee, ranged, spellcasters, or a mix.

These Crimsons right now just tend to hurt tamers with dragons and continuous melee attackers the most.

Heh heh, just so it looks cooler. I like it. Keep thinkin.

Maybe someone really adventurous could race up its spine to stab from on top, but watch out for that tail!

S

Sarphus

Archers are tearing crimsons apart, but they tear everything apart. Archer hybrids are just a "tear everything apart" char.

I did fine on crimson dragon with a mage. I was doing 20-30 damage with mindblast. Some of the archers were doing 100-200+, but that's normal. I suspect I would have done been able to approach archer damage if mages had cold-based spells that work with a slayer spellbook. Fortunately, mysticism will add one.

I suspect necros could have done pretty well, but I wasn't on one, so it's hard to say.

dexers certainly couldn't stand on top of the dragon for long without a healer, but they did ok. When a pet was tanking the dragon the melee dexers were actually doing very well. Tamers seemed to do ok, but their pets died frequenntly.

All in all I thought the fight was pretty fun. I like how the dragon has numerous special moves at his disposal.

U

UOKaiser

Sadly with the lag 1 hit means 2 hits which will be over 160 damge in a sec before you able to move away if of course you are wearing 70's suit I for one dont run around with all 70's and my hp is 100 cause you need max dex and plenty of int to run a dexter these days. str takes a back seat.

Making big mobs have more of a persence would mean removing alot of objects that are blockable as most of everything in uo is 1 space apart whic in trun will end up making more housing spaces if many objects arent blockable. Looks like alot of work.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, killed one with 2 xhealing melee dexers yesterday in ~25mins (with a couple of deaths).

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried to discord one with 120 music 120 disco and got the message you cant do that.

G

Gowron

My only beef with the Crimson Dragon is that once it is killed all have looting to rights to everything. Why can't it be the same way as Dark Fathers, Peerless Bosses, Champs, etc?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My only beef with the Crimson Dragon is that once it is killed all have looting to rights to everything. Why can't it be the same way as Dark Fathers, Peerless Bosses, Champs, etc?
This was a bug. It was fixed with yesterday's publish. Loot on the Crimson Dragon is now instanced like every other monster.

L

LiberatingLuT

That's a great idea.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are pretty easy, I 2 manned one with 2 dexxers cross healing each other, you get instantly killed sometimes... however you can prevent this by staying off your mount.

Loot isn't worth the trouble, just peerless crap, nothing special.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most events lately have had the same type of situation. Ranged characters have a large advantage on Berserker Demons, Dark Fathers, Shadowlords, etc., etc.

I second the motion to make warriors tank better!

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I second the motion to make warriors tank better!
I also would love to be able to have a warrior that would have no need for 50+ mana pool to be effective. The devs in the past have forced us all to be a magic(mana) users in one way or another.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not just the tanking aspect that needs a boost with melee warriors, and generally we need more complementary skills that are as solid to melee, as magery and necromancy is to casters. Specifically for tanking they could solve the problem by adding an ability to merge Mana/Health pools or Stamina/Health pools, say "Mana Shield" or "Inner Merge". First's from Diablo, second I cannot remember where but you can tell what it does.

We don't have that kind of thing. We don't want to be mage warriors or necro warriors. Some of us not even Bushido warriors.

Melee warriors are too simple while having harsh requirements for what they dish out, and their core template can fit in any other in any case.

The Mana req. is just the tip of the iceberg in showing how flawed the current melee warrior design is. :(

Draconi which one of you said they wanted to take a look at replacing the really useless skills after SA launches?
Please DO NOT ADD MORE CASTING SKILLS if you do this. That's a big IF though.

My idea regarding tanking could even be something in the lines of adding an ability to merge Stamina/Health pools, or even Mana/Health pools. That's from Diablo but it's just an example. I'd go for the Stam/Health so that mages cannot exploit it.

W

Warrior of Time

I can't help but wonder if the throwing skill is going to be nothing more than a gargoyal version archer that will get his thrown items back. (At least as GM one would) I am resonably sure that it is the reason you will not be able to use powder on things.
They throw it and lose it we use it we lose it.
I am starting to think the dragon is a test for the archers and throwing skill.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly I don't know what you are all complaining about. Sure it's much easier on an archer, however a Warrior will do far more DPS and doesn't require arrows.

What my guild has been running is anywhere from 2-4 melee dexxers on skele liches and crimson dragon/sicarii. Takes us around 30 seconds to kill Liches, 10 mins to kill Crimsons and 5 mins to kill sicarii. We x-heal with bandies. Every single one of us use a chiv/warrior, no necro/vamp form/bushido/parry ect. Use 70 phys/fire suit with 45 dci/hci 100 dmg inc and everyone running lower defense, you demolish things much faster than 4 archers running around trying to hit it.

The absolute maximum Crimson hits you for is 60 with an all 70's suit, if you're running around 130 hp/150 stam/45 mana (I don't use str/agi pots either) you can x-heal each other before it can get 2 hits off. However there is some points in the fight where it will do "Ul Flam" or something for 60 + the hit so you can instantly die off of that, but it's rare. Stay dismounted and you won't get hit for a 60 dmg dismount as well.

F

Frey Wavestrider

Hi Draconi, I like the crimson dragons. I have used my bushido fencer, pally and my tamer on them. I have one issue though with drops. Yesterday in trinsic I had my paladin on and I was standing toe to toe with the crimson and surviving for the most part. The reason I survived was I had people healing me and my wife was casting furies. The furies distract the crimson and let me get more hits without damage. That is very valuable when you are on a smaller shard and have fewer people taking it on. When the Crimson died, my wife had no looting rights and I think at least one other who was busy healing got no rights. That seems patently unfair. I know people complained bitterly about it being a public drop. But would it be possible to adjust it so people who heal alot or use attacks like furies can get something? Btw at least 3 people there only rezzed other players. Next time I will party her but I should not have too.

This event requires people working together and that is a very good thing. So the drops need to reflect that.

On another note. What determines who gets the crimmy or other arties. I got a helm of swiftness before instance corpses. Last night, I got some peerless regs but that is it. If it is by damage alone then GM archers should be able to make out like thieves. Doing 150 to 200 dmg a hit they definitely do more damage.

Ok time to figure out who to use for next one.

F

Frey Wavestrider

The absolute maximum Crimson hits you for is 60 with an all 70's suit, if you're running around 130 hp/150 stam/45 mana (I don't use str/agi pots either) you can x-heal each other before it can get 2 hits off. However there is some points in the fight where it will do "Ul Flam" or something for 60 + the hit so you can instantly die off of that, but it's rare. Stay dismounted and you won't get hit for a 60 dmg dismount as well.
I would love it if it only did 60 max on all 70's, that is what I was wearing yesterday. I was hit for over 75 dmg at least 3 times. I went from full health to redline on one hit a few times. Without the healing of others or a quick tactical retreat I would have died more than the 2 times I did. However I was never dismounted from my swampy either.

B

Bodhi

Well my warrior has 70's resist suit with 130ish hp, and i died over 30 times against crimson dragon... One spell of his does 80 damage, but he usually throws out several at same time, hitting me for more then 130... But kudos on the graphics of the dragon, i had fun even thou i paid in blood for it rolleyes:

L

laurlo

I imagine its to promote unity in play... tamer tanks... melee characters then go in.. ranged weapons in the back..

Z

Zyon Rockler

Maybe they could give you a parry bonus or defense chance increase if you stand still but it didn't seem to be that bad once we knocked it down alittle bit.

D

Der Rock

I imagine its to promote unity in play... tamer tanks... melee characters then go in.. ranged weapons in the back..
the main problem is:

u have 3 kinds of players in uo

1. the rare handfull of player who KNOW what to do

2. the majority who run around in PANIC and die 1000 times

3. the scum, those who only try to find a way to disturb other player´s fun

(number 2 and 3 are sometimes both together)

examples:

last day´s we was 2 (TWO) at brit graveyard, killed skell lich one by one,EASY
(TWO player of number 1)
(we also killed 2 crimson dragons with 4 player only, easy)

other day, 4-5 player arrived, all run around,they died many times, all in all it was stress situation.
(number 2)

now the best situation:
4 player ,all run around to lure the black elements to the skell lich and other player, then they hiding or run out off sight and hiding,only to harrass other player
that are number 3 player, the SCUM we sadly still have in UO