• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

crafting

A

alm

hey all -

i'm really interested in getting into crafting (tailoring/smithing) - i hear a lot of acronyms flying around and talk of things that make no sense to me....

i'm not a noob to the game (coming back after 4 years), but am to crafting. my questions are:

1.) Could I have a brief overview of smithing & tailoring since most guides seem out of date, missing much of what people talk about (what is the acronym ASH?, also get arms lore?, weapon/armor pricing and what makes them worth so much?, any other helpful points such as these!) making it slightly confusing to figure out.

I guess I really would just like to be brought up to speed with the intricacies, terms etc..

2.) I've seen guides on some resource properties, but could you explain how best to use different resources for enhancing etc..?

3.) Lastly, what is appealing today besides the obvious items? (why do people want -23 mage weapons with HLD/SSI? etc..)

Thanks in advance to anyone who feels up to answering these, I know its asking a lot - but I'm sure it'll be helpful to not only myself =D

E

envinyatar

Welcome back! It seems like alot of vets have been returning to the game lately and I think its a very good thing for all of us.

As for crafting, there are MANY changes that you're going to want to know about. First is you need need need arms lore to make anything good, whether you're using a runic or not. Luckily arms lore is not that hard to raise. If you weren't around for the release of Mondain's Legacy you've missed the introduction of the elf species and their town located in Yew called "Heartwood" where you can do quests to get special items including runics for bowyers (oak yew and heartwood I think) and new recipes (some better than others). All bows can be enhanced with magical properties based on the wood you use (special woods available being Oak, Ash, Yew, Heartwood, Bloodwood, Frostwood). I'm pretty sure that uoguide.com has a list of all the properties associated with the wood and a list of the new recipes quests available.

Unfortunately, bowcrafting does not have a powerscroll. But with the addition of talismens, you can get a bonus that will enhance your chance of producing exceptional items (these exist for every crafting skill and come in handy).

I'm not very familiar with pricing items because I haven't had a vendor for several years, but there are many properties that are valuable to pvp and pvm that increase the value of the items. For all mages, meddable armor is still key and for everyone, high resist is still very desirable. Mana, stamina and hit point regeneration are great properties to have, especially when coupled with lower mana cost and/or lower reagent cost. For warriors, damage increase, swing speed increase, and hit spells (like lightning or fireball) are usually a must, and for archers, having a balanced bow is useful because it allows you to chug pots and not disarm.

I know I'm leaving out alot but I hope this helps you get started and I'm sure others can flesh this out much better. Good luck!!:thumbup:

A

alm

very cool, I was curious about a fletcher - seems they are in high demand now with all these strange archery builds...thanks!

U

uoBuoY

As far as I know, the -## Mage weapons make gaining Magery much easier and less dangerous (and cheaper if you don't hane a 100% LRC outfit). The lower your skill, the faster you gain. You can train with weaker critters as well.