• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Covetous 3 - Monsters on Speed?

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since the dungeon revamp the good old lich base Covetous level 3 has been taken by various monster types. Sometimes undead, sometimes human, sometimes orcs and other stuff.
From time to time it happens that I stealth into the area.
Not only, that it is heavily crowded, but also the monsters are really fast on their toes. In the blink of a moment they cross the entire floor.
Not only that, if they spot you unhidden in a silent room, they rip the door open and jump - on you, before you even can say Kal Ort Por (if it's not in Felucca, where it is not allowed to recall in or out).
They are tough - and intelligent. So if you lure one of them to a greater dragon (such a diseased lich) the greater dragon has to fight. And not only that - if the liches health gets low, he may open the doors again and run back to his spawn zone where his companions are.

In my opinion this area is now to hard for the most players (but I may be wrong and only not use the proper outfit). Is that really the sense of the revamp? Do these monsters in Covetous 3 serve any purpose? Whats it with the incredible speed?

And why are beasts like Daemon Mongbats or War alligators not tameable (they could not be herded - or are they?

*Salute*
Olahorand

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Covetous is now a hard dungeon instead of one of the easier ones. Artifacts are available, however, from the Void Pool on level 2 (indirect), from level 3, from level 4, and from a boss monster on level 5 named Cora.

These artifacts are highly desirable.

Artifacts (Covetous) - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Groups are preferable on level 4, I am told a solo tamer can do ok on level 3, and VERY small groups are best for Cora.

-Galen's player

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMO Covetous 3 is not all that hard if you approach it corrently. I have soloed the rooms for extended periods on my sampire, bard and tamer. Yes the monsters are very quick and they use a better AI (except the archers who are more than happy to just stand there even though you are very out of range).

The most challenging part of the fight is when the monsters get close to dead and spaz around the room while you are trying to finish them off. I recommend range characters (spells, archers, throwers) to compensate for this.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
New Cove is awesome, my favourite place for the last 3 month. Monsters are a bit harder, but with the right template, you will get rich there... And yes, they are incredibly fast sometimes :)

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
New Cove is awesome, my favourite place for the last 3 month. Monsters are a bit harder, but with the right template, you will get rich there... And yes, they are incredibly fast sometimes :)
Rich? Really? Tell us more, please. Which level? Level 4?

SlayerofBunnys

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since the dungeon revamp the good old lich base Covetous level 3 has been taken by various monster types. Sometimes undead, sometimes human, sometimes orcs and other stuff.
Not only, that it is heavily crowded, but also the monsters are really fast on their toes. In the blink of a moment they cross the entire floor.
Not only that, if they spot you unhidden in a silent room, they rip the door open and jump - on you, before you even can say Kal Ort Por (if it's not in Felucca, where it is not allowed to recall in or out).
They are tough - and intelligent. So if you lure one of them to a greater dragon (such a diseased lich) the greater dragon has to fight. And not only that - if the liches health gets low, he may open the doors again and run back to his spawn zone where his companions are.

In my opinion this area is now to hard for the most players (but I may be wrong and only not use the proper outfit). Is that really the sense of the revamp? Do these monsters in Covetous 3 serve any purpose? Whats it with the incredible speed?

And why are beasts like Daemon Mongbats or War alligators not tameable (they could not be herded - or are they?

*Salute*
Olahorand
Based on the Void Pool points that were awarded for level 3 kills a while back, the monsters near the entrance are equivalent to wave 25 monsters and the ones on the sides and near the entrance to Coras are wave 34. Since each wave gets faster and stronger, the wave 204 record on Hokuto must have been close to invincible.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Galen is right: Level 3, farming non-cursed loot (see Trader´s Hall, there you will see what is desired). Nice sideeffect: occasional backpack-drops. Look for Hephaestos (human) and Prismatic Lenses (human)...

But nothing tops clean jewelry with 20 DCI, 10 SSI and alike :)

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*Salute*
Olahorand
Mark a rune to the stairwell, then pop down stairs, cast RC , etc and if targeted run back up to stairs! This is one of the few spots that still drop the highly sought after artis and th loot is almost 100% reli frag unravels...

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mark a rune to the stairwell, then pop down stairs, cast RC
However, it can take hours to take down e.g. an Ogre Bonecrusher with this tactics. I tried something else last days: Mage/Mystic/Stealther... Walked down the stairs in stealth, unlocked one of the chambers with magic unlock, went in there, closed the door, cast RC and Energy Field and then Flamestrikes on the enemies. Works quite nicely... You can do that with many other templates, but it´s always nice to have a mystic-stealther at hand :)