• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Couple production (non Siege type) Felucca, Trammel only shards needed?

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was remembering back to a time when danger lurked everywhere and the fun I encountered along the way Pre UO:R. In my thought process I was thinking why has EA not made felucca and trammel only production shards? one for every Timezone UO delivers to. I know we have siege (played from launch 2k-aos) but with the way UO is today its not the same plus I cant stand the rules, and same as many others. I feel we need a few shards that are just Felucca or Trammel based but with today's code, Dungeon Champspawns Would be removed and only found in t2a, that would be the only major change from standard production shards besides only one rule set keeping dev time to a very minimum unlike siege. :pint:

B

Brucie Kibbutz

I would prefer a Pre-UO:R server, if it's going to be felucca based, I don't want it item based.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As has been explored in each and every thread dedicated to the tired, oft-retreaded topic of a custom rules set shard, almost everyone wants something slightly different. This is the first I've heard of this particular custom shard idea, though.

Actually I think you propose many custom shards. One Fel-only, one Tram-only, for each time zone UO is played in, with champ spawns only in The Lost Lands. No Abyss champ spawns? What about the Harrower? And did you mean for these to replace, or be in addition to, current shards?

-Galen's player

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I was remembering back to a time when danger lurked everywhere and the fun I encountered along the way Pre UO:R. In my thought process I was thinking why has EA not made felucca and trammel only production shards? one for every Timezone UO delivers to. I know we have siege (played from launch 2k-aos) but with the way UO is today its not the same plus I cant stand the rules, and same as many others. I feel we need a few shards that are just Felucca or Trammel based but with today's code, Dungeon Champspawns Would be removed and only found in t2a, that would be the only major change from standard production shards besides only one rule set keeping dev time to a very minimum unlike siege. :pint:

So you want Seige with passive reveal and no RoT?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why bother making a trammel only shard?

That is just a ridiculous idea.

Everyone production shard is essentially trammel only. You have the tram ruleset for EVERY facet version. You have trammel, T2A, Malas, ilshenar, tok, etc. If you never go to fel then you are essentially playing on a tram only shard. The only difference a trammel only shard would display is the lack of the fel facet and powerscroll spawns with no PvP.

That right now is hardly enough incentive to create a tram only shard.

A fel only shard? We already have siege. That pretty much has everything you would want. Only reason to make another would be for a different time zone.

M

Mitzlplik_SP

Just say NO to any new shards.

We don`t need more ways to splinter the population. If ya`s want a more pre-ren experience, go to Siege. Aside from the RoT (which makes skill gains HUGELY easy and takes the expense out of crafting) there isn`t much thats different from the days of old there.

Its not the red/gank fest some peaple claim it is. Lots of good peaple there. Crafters are needed and can make a phat living there. Smiths are not relegated to bod runners and can actually make money using smithing! go figure. These are just a few things that got me hooked. Peaple should really give it a try. Make a new char and stay out of the hot spots till your able to fight. You`ll find that fulfilling feeling you had way back before Tram existed when ya return home with your pack of goodies.

I think the biggest hurdle for peaple is gettin killed and losing some crap armor. If you start Siege with the mindset that you are going to be killed and you are going to lose things occasionally you`ll be fine. In the end,you`ll like not having a big chunk taken out of your bank to cover insurance. Replacing what is lost is a joke. I mean its everywhere and its cheap.

ANYONE can make it on a production shard.C`mon over.....we don`t bite. :thumbup:

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice to see reading comprehension is strong with a couple of you. :thumbdown:

Its not a retro shard, Its what we have now, just W/o the tram ruleset, Not siege's ROT, 5 characters, Insurance, Blessed items, Its what the shards should have been like with the release of UO:R if they would have made seperate servers Vs merging the playstyles on to one server. Just a felucca based Production shard that is not like siege. Siege is not like a standard production shard. I prob would never play a pre UO:R shard maybe a pre AOS but pre ren is just to ancient been there done that. At least with this the devs can give normal publishes, same as other shards (minus trammel of course) and not have to devote a lot of time to its eccentric code to fix stupid issues like someones rewards are blessed.

MMO PvP is a multiBillion $ a year industry. Why cant EA/Mythic capitalize on some of that promoting the best PvP structure in MMo's today? Clearly since 2k the other has not really been working out.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually I think you propose many custom shards. One Fel-only, one Tram-only, for each time zone UO is played in, with champ spawns only in The Lost Lands. No Abyss champ spawns? What about the Harrower? And did you mean for these to replace, or be in addition to, current shards?

-Galen's player
No as it is now, we currently have champs in the legacy dungeons in felucca plus the same spawns in t2a, what this would do is remove The destard, despise, deceit exc. exc. spawns and keep them in t2a, as many as some want to think this is not about just PvP, we would need places to PvM also and PvM in felucca dungeons nowdays blows due to the champs who inhabit our dungeons. A Harrower could still be the same being its not a constant spawn. While on that the Ilshenar spawns can get deleted too.

T

Trebr Drab

Referring to Fel, with the item based combat these days, it's very similar to other games that have levels and classes in that there's too much of a difference in power. Only the top end can compete. That's why games like WoW have set up battle zones determined for level, so there can be some competitiveness to the PvP. You wouldn't have that in UO, and you'd end up with the same top end speced out characters playing and new players not being able to compete. Wide open PvP does not work under these circumstances except for the extreme powergamers who can maintain their top end status. Anyone else is fodder, and they won't stay for long.

Also, the only thing that's kept Fel going has been the Power Scrolls. Other than that, Fel is pretty much dead. Remove that, and Fel will be dead, except for the few who occupy the top tier. That's not enough players to justify it. Fel right now doesn't have enough players to justify it, if it weren't part of the overall package that includes Trammel.

J

Jhym

Clearly since 2k the other has not really been working out.
Yes, of course, that's why UO is 12 years old and still going. It obviously is just a horrible system that nobody likes to play and so it's just the last gasps.

If that's the case, then folks that you seem to like, demanding unrestricted pvp and gank ability shouldn't be here at all, they should be over in Darkfall online. Having watched my boyfriend try that system, with a guild mind you, and be gank-wiped for absolutely no reason other than for the others to be jerks, I can say without a doubt that I prefer the way UO is now even if it can be annoying at times. There's being a wolf or wolf pack, and then there's being a bunch of rabid wolves razing everything just because they can. I don't like playing games where folks like that can do what they wish to me or my friends, I like them restricted so I can ignore them if I want or go take them on if I need to.

Pvpers have Felucca if they are so excited about pvp and doing whatever they want, so what is the issue? Go to it, be the big bad guys they want to be. Knock on all the houses they can find and pull out some competition.

Honestly, what's stopping them?

And if that isn't a problem, then what would having a 100% Felucca shard (which is what Seige/Mugen are) would actually do for them that the current shards don't?

Please, explain in detail what is stopping them?

And if this is only about the supposed draw of pulling in those real pvpers, again, I think you want to go try Darkfall and see what that actually means.

The alternate shard threads really just waste a lot of hot air on nothing, since the developers have made it perfectly crystal clear (as have the SUBSCRIBERS) that these will not happen. Ever ever ever. Never.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see where the OP is coming from. I have learned the "new" game, so not really desiring anything like Pre-Ren, but I don't care for Siege, either. A shard where PvPers could PvP everywhere currently available in game (Ter Mur, Ilsh, Malas, T2A & Fel) but still have insurance, 5-7 char slots, regular + GGS gains, blessed items, etc would be fun for most of the current PvP'ers. In fact, give me a shard like that, one-way transfer tokens for all my characters, I would move off Napa forever, just so I could play strictly with other like-minded people.

I suspect most, if not all, PvP'ers would happily consolidate onto one or two non-Siege shards, if given the chance.

(Side note: What does that say about the concept of all PvPers wanting to kill innocent Trammies, if we would willingly leave them all behind?)

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Closed minded are we?

A. world wide Millions play games to PvP in MMO's.

B. UO has hands down the best PvP system MMO wide. EA should market to that crowd in some form

C. This is not about PvP hence why I mentioned A trammel version of the same.

This is simply about options, Its not make a pre ren shard thread, Its make a production shard(s) based off of one ruleset like siege but like a standard production shard. I only threw in the Idea of removing champs from legacy dungeons and Ish is that a shard like this does not need that many spawns be it Felucca or its Trammel counterpart. Aside from that all the content would be the same as you would have on pacific, or atlantic So dev time would take very little resources.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see where the OP is coming from. I have learned the "new" game, so not really desiring anything like Pre-Ren, but I don't care for Siege, either. A shard where PvPers could PvP everywhere currently available in game (Ter Mur, Ilsh, Malas, T2A & Fel) but still have insurance, 5-7 char slots, regular + GGS gains, blessed items, etc would be fun for most of the current PvP'ers. In fact, give me a shard like that, one-way transfer tokens for all my characters, I would move off Napa forever, just so I could play strictly with other like-minded people.

I suspect most, if not all, PvP'ers would happily consolidate onto one or two non-Siege shards, if given the chance.

(Side note: What does that say about the concept of all PvPers wanting to kill innocent Trammies, if we would willingly leave them all behind?)
I feel the exact same.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Read my lips. No new shards. Fix the ones we have.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
With a little help from Devs, we could make Siege an options for more PvP players.

Siege is a shard where PvPers can PvP everywhere currently available in game (Ter Mur, Ilsh, Malas, Tokuno, T2A & Britainnia)

Siege could need something like passive reveal but I rarely saw Stealthers show as a shadow when they get closer than 2-3 tiles and you can target that shadow. Also let damage revael them again. (Need some Dev help here)

Siege do not have item insurance but we do have great crafters who will make you a new suit for a far price, and our armslore do give more bonus than on normal shards.

Siege do not have the trammel ruleset

Siege do have RoT but it had been changed several times so now it's not so bad. The playguide is wrong, old info there, the right one is on the support page Siege RoT Gain (Need some Dev help here to update the playguide)

Siege need more char slots to draw more players, I personly don't care if we get 5-7 chars (Need some Dev help here)

Siege do only have few blessed items, one Siege Bless, that works like one item insuret item but it's free, cost no gold.
Spell, rune and bod books are blessed, so are most reward items, soulstones, community deeds, e-mounts, docked boats but not the key.
Sure it may take a while to get use to no item insurance but nice gear is easier to replace on Siege. Remember your enemy can also lose his gear so get a few friends and hunt him down.
Most crafters don't care about the lose, they can easy make a new suit and PvM players will have resources worth trading with the crafters for a new suit.
Just get a spare suit before you die, then dying is not so hard, you may even have some joy if the killer post a story about it, we do have a few RP PK's.

So all in all, Siege is not far from what you want, you should give it a try.

Now add something normal shards do not have.

A economy that is not broken, you won't have your billions of gold eating up your lockdowns.

Siege do have a community that stand to gether when needed and can lay down the sword to do events together.

Siege do have the most active shard forum, almost as active as U.Hall

Siege take care of new Siege players and help them get started.

Siege do have a few kids but the PK who just killed you may very well be around 35 years and the Lady who crafted your new suit is more likely around 50 years.

The latest complain on Siege Forum had been about to many reds going blue and joining Faction instead of being red PvP'ers, believe it or not but most find it sad to hunt a whole day or week without the threat from the reds, it can get a little boring.

Also you can find a place for your house almost where you want it, a 18x18 spot is easy to find. A kep sell for 2-5 mills and a castle is around 20-25 mills now.

Who need Item Insurance when your gold is so much more worth on Siege?

Give it a try, you can always go back but carefull. As Kelmo did put it, "Siege is like fine scotch... Once the taste is acquired, nothing else will do." However, scotch ain't for everyone.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Given that trammel has happened and isn't going back into the box this is a plausible idea. You can expect little in the way of agreement here however. A felucca only shard would be wildy popular. If it lasted past it's initial hype is the question. Whether it was pre Ren or not would make little difference. Any pvp shard would fill up for lack of better options. If you make it they will come kind of thing.

Siege players will profess this to be a bad idea, with good reason. Their shard would die if a PvP shard without Siege restrictions would be introduced. Old players would come back in droves to check it out. If the novelty didn't wear off too fast I could even see this being a success.

In all honesty I do keep expecting to see some message from Cal with a puffed out chest talking about carebears and the old days and pictures of outlaws and other cool stuff making an appearance for this type of thing. Only hoping it doesn't happen because the game is failing and they use it as a ploy to keep it afloat rather than when it's healthy.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Given that trammel has happened and isn't going back into the box this is a plausible idea. You can expect little in the way of agreement here however. A felucca only shard would be wildy popular. If it lasted past it's initial hype is the question. Whether it was pre Ren or not would make little difference. Any pvp shard would fill up for lack of better options. If you make it they will come kind of thing.

Siege players will profess this to be a bad idea, with good reason. Their shard would die if a PvP shard without Siege restrictions would be introduced. Old players would come back in droves to check it out. If the novelty didn't wear off too fast I could even see this being a success.

In all honesty I do keep expecting to see some message from Cal with a puffed out chest talking about carebears and the old days and pictures of outlaws and other cool stuff making an appearance for this type of thing. Only hoping it doesn't happen because the game is failing and they use it as a ploy to keep it afloat rather than when it's healthy.
This is a good Example, Better than what I would have thought of. And you are correct. So far Siege players are saying Just play siege, There is too many problems with that even for newbs. In an item based game UO has become Siege is dated. People who think the Devide between Rich and poor on production shards is bad they need to play siege, Plus throw in the fact you have to have multi accounts just to do what you want to do. The Felucca ruleset and the sense of danger is one of the sole reasons I started an account back in 98 since then the thrill has gone sure we still have Felucca but the devs ruined our legacy dungeons with champs that were IMO better served in the desolate place we call t2a. Think WoW's #'s would be as high if they only offered 1 server type?

And on another note I also feel trammies Need a Trammel only server just the same as proposed but only trammel rules, so they can do harrower's and the like. Since UO:R I have often wondered what UO would have been like if they would have made just trammel only servers besides merging the two, I feel UO would have been a better game and 100% balanced already.