• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] Couple of questions, not just parry

D

Dragonchilde

My primary question is about Parry, but I have more than one. :)

My parry is at 92.2; I'm attempting to gain using the sheep method, but it's not really seeming to help. I haven't gained a point in a while. Is there another, similar method that works better? This character is a bushido paladin, but I've stoned off the bushido to train parry. I don't have that far to go, I'd just rather like to go ahead and finish it out quickly. A guildmate mentioned another method, but I haven't seen him in a couple of weeks to ask.

Secondly, let's talk about meleeing Daemons, solo. i'm not a power gamer, I'm not a l33t player in all the best gear, I'd just like to be ableto venture into fel and kill a few daemons to cap out my karma for my paladin. However, I'm just not that great at it, and the FAQ at the top of the forum is well... 8 years out of date. Painfully out of date, since it still mentions weapons of power , shields of invulnerability, and AR.

My current template:

100 anatomy
87 or so bushido (it's stoned, so I'll have to look later)
80 chivalry
96.7 healing
92.2 parry (which i'd like to hurry up and GM, as mentioned previously)
103.8 swords
100 tactics

all 70s resist armor - weapons to switch up as I need.

What sort of tactics would you suggest? casting monsters tend to tear me a new one, quickly.

D

Dragonchilde

NEvermind, I answered my own question; harpies in Covetous are doing the trick quite nicely, 3 regular and a stone, gaining well. The daemon question still stands, though!

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My current template:

100 anatomy
87 or so bushido (it's stoned, so I'll have to look later)
80 chivalry
96.7 healing
92.2 parry (which i'd like to hurry up and GM, as mentioned previously)
103.8 swords
100 tactics

all 70s resist armor - weapons to switch up as I need.

What sort of tactics would you suggest? casting monsters tend to tear me a new one, quickly.
Based on your own information, I think it should be obvious. Spellcasting mobs (the top tiered ones) will have a party with you. Either you have to pack resist spells or use items. Bushido you don't need to have BUT...you do need to have it at GM for it to really do anything.

As it stands now, minus having a daemon slayer weapon, daemons are going to be a difficult or even match fight as its called in FFXI. Once again though, its important to note that they are weak in poison and energy. If you have a 50/50 weapon made with that, it will go easier...even not having a slayer weapon.

Really in my opinion, they should not be much trouble for you. The combat skills are not near GM and should not prove a problem for you to fight. The main thing is to carry a trapped box or have resist so that you counter the paralyze/hit combos.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

The simplest method for Parry has been to go to Jhelom pits disarm the female fighters and tab out, if their male kill them until female ones re spawn, these do no damage to you. You should wear no armor for this and use bucklers for quickest gains. You were right to stone Bushido off while training Parry.

As for Demons and your skills, you should first honor them. You can make a macro for this 'Invoke Virtue' 'Honor', what this does is every consecutive hit will add 10% damage increase, up to a maximum of 10 steps (called Perfection), also when the monster dies the amount of steps you have will restore some hp/mana/stam (often to full).
If you miss a hit you lose 3 steps.

You should also be using Enemy Of One, Consecrate Weapon & Lightning Strike. Lightning Strike gives you 50 HCI and a chance at a Critical Hit which can do a lot more damage, I'm not sure if its double or 150% or what but its a lot, especially combined with Perfection.

However doing this in fel, you have a high likelyhood of getting killed by players as factioners often farm demons for silver. Also the re spawn rate is higher there which may not help if your struggling to fight them.

You can also cast Evasion which lasts about 5 seconds and makes all damage including spells have a greater than half chance of missing you altogether (you get the emote 'evades' above your head when its successful)

With no resisting spells you also need to make sure your armors strength requirement is fairly low so it doesn't falloff when you get cursed. You could probably also use a decent way of curing such as pots or petals.

Also, I don't know if you're aware of this but with Bushido & Parry on your template you're supposed to wear either a 1 handed weapon with no shield, or a 2 handed weapon. If you're using a shield with both of those skills on then it nullifies a large amount of the defense, which could be another reason your having a hard time.

D

DuLang

I finished parrying on my bush char the other day.

I had to go from GM to 115.

I'm a swordsman, I bought 5 black staves (mace weap of course) from an NPC weaponsmith, and got to 115 in 2 nights using the sheep in the Yew pen.

Worked a treat, and didn't have to remove Bushido.

This obviously works because I have no proficiency with maces (elf so no JOAT) so the sheep can always have a chance to hit me, and Bushido allows you to parry with 2 handed weaps.

Good times :)

D

Dragonchilde

I went from 87-100.1 in roughly three or four hours (I didn't time it, but the last 5 points I gained in about 45 minutes. Harpies rock.)

M

Maximilliean

I finished parrying on my bush char the other day.

I had to go from GM to 115.

I'm a swordsman, I bought 5 black staves (mace weap of course) from an NPC weaponsmith, and got to 115 in 2 nights using the sheep in the Yew pen.

Worked a treat, and didn't have to remove Bushido.

This obviously works because I have no proficiency with maces (elf so no JOAT) so the sheep can always have a chance to hit me, and Bushido allows you to parry with 2 handed weaps.

Good times :)
Would this work with a human character? I feel kind of funny stoning bushido even just to train parry, its part of who the character is. Its the last skill I have to work up until I get 120 scrolls. Does having any skill points in a skill mess up JOAT? Like if I buy .1 fencing would that negate my natural JOAT for fencing?

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

The only way to negate JOAT is to be an elf. You have 20 unless you're over it. It probably would work without stoning it using staffs.

It took me about 30 mins to go from 100-120 recently with the way I said in my previous post.

G

gmcbroom

Max if you have a weapon skill on you then yes it might. Your quickest route is simply lock Bush have parry pointed up put a shield in one hand and a weapon from a skill you don't have in another. If you have skill in every weapon place one of those skills on a soul stone then equip that weapon because it'll show you no longer have it, Even though you will, its just stoned. Then attack a sheep one time go back into peace mode and watch the gains come. That method took me to 115 and it'll take me to 120 as soon as I get a scroll. As for whether your human or elf it doesn't matter I've used this tactic on both successfully.

C

Connor_Graham

Also, I don't know if you're aware of this but with Bushido & Parry on your template you're supposed to wear either a 1 handed weapon with no shield, or a 2 handed weapon.
This is incorrect. When a character has Bushido and is training Parry, the best way to gain is to equip a shield and a 1 handed weapon you don't have skill in.

The only way to negate JOAT is to be an elf. You have 20 unless you're over it.
Except in the case of Bushido's affect on Parry. The coding was specifically written so that Joat Bushido would not affect Parry in any way. This was one of the very first things brought up when Bushido was first introduced.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

This is incorrect. When a character has Bushido and is training Parry, the best way to gain is to equip a shield and a 1 handed weapon you don't have skill in.
This is incorrect as the comment you quoted wasn't in relation to training it was in relation to playing the character in general. Specifically the fighting Demons question.

Except in the case of Bushido's affect on Parry. The coding was specifically written so that Joat Bushido would not affect Parry in any way. This was one of the very first things brought up when Bushido was first introduced.
Except he asked about fencing.

C

Connor_Graham

This is incorrect as the comment you quoted wasn't in relation to training it was in relation to playing the character in general. Specifically the fighting Demons question.

Except he asked about fencing.
My mistake. Since the thread was about Parry and you'd mentioned Parry training, I'd thought that was what we were still talking about. Oh well.