• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Could we get a statement of the DEVs, please?

Lord_Rotin

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello Devs,

Can we expect any comment from your team about the current situation, where lots of people used the "bug, exploit, game mechanic" (how ever you would call it) for getting unlimited bless deeds?

I heard from Asian shards were made 1000s of bless deeds and know at least from one on Europa that he have over 600 bless deeds made. (And that is just one, i know from...)

From your experience of the past 10 years, i believe i could expect, that you would be wise enough to prevent or record at least such actions.

Can we expect here, that you have monitored that and you are able to act here now?

Or will it be like in the past and those scoundrel individual will get out of the situation harmless.

And don´t tell me that you are not able to find out, which deeds are made by using this bugs, as i believe they will have a number in the database.

And don´t tell me, that you can´t delete them as those deeds are/might have been sold to other people, which you don´t want to harm.

All those people who bought deeds in the last days for a very low price are old enough / rich enough to get over this. - And you can´t telll me, that they did NOT know that they bought cheap tickets made by an exploit.

@all "NONE" Devs: Please stay out of this threat, this shall not be a flaming post
@Uo Board Moderators: Can you please don´t lock this post, just delete answers which are trying to bring this topic to the wrong direction.

Thank you.

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The OP is right, they fixed the exploit but the exploiters shouldn't get away with thousand of bless deeds and other rewards still. If you don't do anything about it it is just saying to everyone that instead of reporting an exploit (like many of us did) we should just abuse it while it lasts.

The exploit is easily trackable as it concerns only 1 specific turn in, and the points can't be used on a trial account, so it should be relatively easy to find at least the mass exploiters since it went public yesterday.

As for the original Japanese exploiter who has probably used it since days or weeks, I reckon it might be more difficult, but at least do something about the bulk of the harm since yesterday.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want to write to the devs... write to the devs silly...

once again no possible discussion on this subject, IBTL...

rofl at ordering the mods around... :mf_prop:

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well to start off the OP is crying about the char on Europa who said they had 600 deeds. He (Bob) was telling you lies! and you beleved him. Even if he had a script to do it for him he still would not have gotten 600 deeds in one day and thats all this glitch in the game mechanic was known for on Europa. They only learned of it after it went public on Japanees web sites the day before.

You would be lucky if anyone got more than 50 deeds from this and even then they would have to been doing it all day non stop

I

ikaikaman

I thinks Devs get rotten players as wizards.so,not until fixed it that became obvious .

once, I have send information of bugs but they did not fix it a few weeks.but became obvious they fixed quickly lol.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm hoping for the removal of bless deeds completely, everything blessed should turn to insured. Regardless of when the item was blessed.

atlanticScorpion

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I must disagree I turned in tons of stuff to get my bless deeds. I would rather see them revert us back to a date before The turn ins started. They have the system backed up and since no houses have fallen it might be a better fix.

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Well to start off the OP is crying about the char on Europa who said they had 600 deeds. He (Bob) was telling you lies! and you beleved him. Even if he had a script to do it for him he still would not have gotten 600 deeds in one day and thats all this glitch in the game mechanic was known for on Europa. They only learned of it after it went public on Japanees web sites the day before.

You would be lucky if anyone got more than 50 deeds from this and even then they would have to been doing it all day non stop
Lets just do the math since it was 2 days actually...

3-6min for 200.000 points. 2-4m points 1 hour = 20-40 deeds.
Considering the asian player who has 5b points in total since he started right when the clean up started then it doesnt seem so impossible. But unlikely yes. But not impossible.

But lets not put it over to how many or what ever people have gotten, its more about if it should be punished if you use an ingame mechanic where you use a skill and then because you trashed the items you got point in a clean up system. Well there are bigger bugs in UO and if all players who did it would get punished we might see 40-50% of all active subs getting punished...

Besides people should be happy, they can actually get items they wanted for a lower price now. Also players who just returned can get bless deeds faster and isnt scared by the price tags. People who horded up items to make a lot of gold from the clean up they can just keep hording their deeds till one day prices will go up again.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't really care too much about the bless deeds. As a PvPer, it doesn't really impact me.

What I care about is the market being flooded with Bestial suits.

The amount of damage you need to deal to someone in one of these to kill them is ridiculous.

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is not about punishing everyone, and certainly not those who just tried the exploit with a couple of books because it was all over general chat. But not doing anything against those who claimed millions of points from it is sending the wrong message: "Exploit to the max while you can because you're going to get away with it".

For a start, immediately lock all trial accounts who have turned in massive amount of points right after their creation and all accounts sharing the same IP at the same time. And don't forget that even the accounts which are now inactive may still hold points to be reactivated later when the wind is gone.

Then move on to the regular accounts case, but for that one has to know if there is a record of what kind of items have been turned in. I sincerely hope so.

Prawn

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The exploit.. which well really wasn't.. started (become public) on the asian forums (not stratics)..

Is it time to put a stop to these asian exploiters.. 85% of the time it starts with one of them.. and BTW I am in no way playing a racist card, but I am just saying it always seems that there are a select group who goes above and beyond to always find the exploit in a new system..

recent exploit examples : metallic dye tub bug (asian shard) .. sea market ship stat bug (asian shard) .. ship strong hold bug (asian shard) .. item revert and quest item bless removal (asian shard)

this is to just name a few in the last 12 months..

Just saying...........................

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
your argument has terrible flaws :

You ask to punish a few young hackers who only try to do the same thing that people who they admire "because they sell UO stuff legally"

did 10 years ago and god knows they still do ; although differently.

Many made much money out of UO (some even bragged about it on TV) that they could now afford to have a "hand" in every other game.

That means I use money I made from a perhaps DUPE or HACK or SCRIPTER to purchase time from a chinese worker who then lives off playing too so it inspires a WHOLE generation of chinese and who knows what other culture to try and do the same by all means necessary !

Can you see the redundancy here ?

This is easy to fix... exept if they made so much money they indirectly "brought" the game.

Thats where I'm HOPING a dev to intervene and correct me with proof. But if everything is still the same ; you can expect no answer to this topic. :(

Lord_Rotin

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See that is not what i wanted: a discussion about, who did what...

I want to see a way forward here...

As this is not the first time that this kind happend.

I believe truely believe (was hoping) that the DEVs should have put some thoughts in the past 14(!) years about situations like this and how to handle that.

The sign we all get at moment from the DEVs is truely the wrong sign. Like Wizal said here:
-------------------------------------------------

"Exploit to the max while you can because you're going to get away with it"

-------------------------------------------------

@DEVs/GMs:
Do you really believe that this should be the correct sign?
Are you afraid of deleting this items, cause people might leave the game, if they loose stuff?
Are you afraid of deleting items, cause of Amercian people might take you to the court for any actions like this? (i know there are weird impeachs in US)

----
I played UO almost from the start for several years - left the game 6 years ago - and came back half year ago. - But at this situation, i can´t see any progress in and on the game.

UO was more then one of those browser games, which are popping up weekly.
----

So DEVs would any of you be so kind going to this thread (or post somewhere else) a message, what you are going to do?

Thank you.

@all others: do not discuss here, who did what....etc.
just push this thread to top level on board, till we get a respond...
They can´t ignore this thread for years.

Thank you.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets just do the math since it was 2 days actually...

3-6min for 200.000 points. 2-4m points 1 hour = 20-40 deeds.
Considering the asian player who has 5b points in total since he started right when the clean up started then it doesnt seem so impossible. But unlikely yes. But not impossible.

But lets not put it over to how many or what ever people have gotten, its more about if it should be punished if you use an ingame mechanic where you use a skill and then because you trashed the items you got point in a clean up system. Well there are bigger bugs in UO and if all players who did it would get punished we might see 40-50% of all active subs getting punished...

Besides people should be happy, they can actually get items they wanted for a lower price now. Also players who just returned can get bless deeds faster and isnt scared by the price tags. People who horded up items to make a lot of gold from the clean up they can just keep hording their deeds till one day prices will go up again.
Your maths is great if there was an endless supply of books but there wasn't was there. There was a 20 min gap between vendors restocking. Then there was the fact that every vendor was camped out by 5+ people. So most people were buying as much books as there back pack could carry, which was lets say 125 then they got no more for a further 20 minuets, due to the amount of people camping the vendors.

So at best, most people (Not all) only got 200k points every 20 minuets. Not everyone bought bless deeds either. One chap was saying he got 6 suits out of it before they brought the shard down, another said he had 10 novo bleue sets.

So to the OP what do we delete here everything that was gotten from the system in the time period that the exploit was live and punish those who handed in there junk legally? Your off your head if you think everyone should be punished just because you feel hard done by.

I didn’t gain anything from this, I missed the boat as such. But I did turn in some of my legal junk when the exploit was live and I did claim 5 bless deeds and a bestial suit. Does this mean I should lose my stuff I got legally?

Again this is pointed at the OP, stop crying about what other people have and get on with your life. If your soooo peeved off go buy some cheep bless deeds, they were selling on Europa for 3 mill before this kicked off and they are still selling at the same price today. If there was as many items claimed as you seam to think, the market would have crashed on the prices, which they haven't .

Grow up and move on!

KingHen

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatever the heck the exploit was didn't hurt my bless deed doings. I only bought a lot of them due to not being that excitable about the rest of the items. Been selling them just fine to fund my other projects.

Interestingly enough even if these people got away with getting 100s or 1000s of them, eventually these consumables will go away. I mean, we survived the val hammers ffs... we will survive this.

Neither one of those activities hurt my game play...

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

First on most western shards the exploit was only known for about 24 hours, so the exploiters mostly got time to stock for their own use, not much for resell, except for a few of them. Still, that's many people who won't need to buy anymore, thus hurting the ones who spent weeks getting turn ins for the clean up instead of doing something else. Unlike what has been stated the prices on my shard have already dropped almost 50%.

Now wait till the usual xshard traders start to bring the stuff from the Japanese shards, where the bulk of the exploit happened...

But really in the end that's not the issue. The problem remains that if you don't do anything you are sending the wrong message, that honesty doesn't pay (one can wonders why even introduce the virtue in the game), that the crooks always get away with it.

As for myself, I'm fine, mainly because even if I spent weeks on this clean up I sold a lot before this mess, but I swear that if nothing is done this is the last time I will report an exploit.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You know, the easiest way to deal with this, if most of the exploiting was done on the Japanese shards, would be to make the deeds unable to be x-sharded.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is many ways to approach the problem !

However... nothing will be done... as GMs cannot intervene because there must be player justice in UO...

its written on their official website !