• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Could we be looking at another city killing invasion?

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was working on a shopping character on Pacific today and I noticed an EM event moongate... so I popped in and waited. Then, as this event started... I saw off inside a mountain red tagged spawn, much like what happened before... but I honestly can't remember what invasion it was, when, or what the story was. All I know is that it was hidden inside a mountain where we couldn’t get to them and they couldn’t get to us. I didn’t stick around on a very unskilled mage... with massive lag, so I popped back to my skill work.

Now, with this “story arch” business... I’m smelling a rat. Another rat that kills any kind of business in one or many of our NPC cities. Best to be on guard when recalling around until this whole thing comes out in the open.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hmmm Brit Invasion with the Generals maybe? It started that way, north of the cemetery. Hope this one is just as good tho :thumbsup:

Not at killing business, just boredom and us :danceb::banana:

G

goldenpower

I hope housing eventually moves into all towns, but not in such a drastic way as with Magincia. they over-did it there.

people want the town to still be there in some way after the changes. Magincia just disappeared it was sad. even the cool estate that was there to the East side of the island is now gone. used to be my favorite place to go and reflect.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Thinking back through the fantasy genre, towns always seem to get invaded. Even the idyllic Shire region in LOTR was invaded. From a story perspective, it makes sense, no?

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As much as a pain in the neck as it was... the invasions being in the woods was a much better idea. The ants, the Juka, the swamp monsters... all happened at the time when my poor little mall was nothing more then a Small Marble Shop. One gated while one defended the mall so shoppers would be safe.

As much as I stand strong to burn Lagtown city to the ground... I think its high time these invasions take part in Malas and leave Tram and Fel alone. Well... maybe not Fel, but leave the cities alone being the top issue. This is what ruined the West Brit Bank to start with. It also doesn't help the invasion spawn since AoS has been 10x+ worse then the invasion spawn before. This would surely ruin people's coming and goings from their homes. If you ask me, I think this staff is obsessed with overpowered murdering spawn and it's not fun for most players.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
City invasions can be fun if done in waves like the ones during the Warriors of Destiny arc. The invasion of Magincia was just depressing and woefully too predetermined. The Bane invasions were handled reasonably well, each shard had different outcomes (denoted by the bells).

Personally, I don't want more player housing in the cities. It greatly increases the lag and...well...some people have terrible aesthetics. I'd like to see the cities revived with EM placed decorations, and the NPC's AI redone to provide a semblence of life (moving about their shops with purpose, responding to the old Ultima keywords, even handing out simple quests, etc.) Give the players a reason to visit the cities besides the bank, things like city-specific commodities, foods, buffs, armor, etc. (Why do all tailors, blacksmiths, or tavern wenches sell exactly the same items??)

But please, no more New Magincia-style housing or vendor spaces. Fugly.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As the original post stated quite clearly, this was an EM event, hence the EM gate.

The post, however, seems to use this as an excuse to fret about the current unnamed story arc. (I'm calling it "current" instead of "looming" because the appearance of Sherry on some shards, the closing off of parts of Central Ilshenar, and the activities on some shards of the Event Moderators, in particular Malachi and Elizabella of Great Lakes, indicates to me that this storyline has already begun.)

Whatever the EM was doing may or may not be related to the story arc.

Nothing that I've heard from TC thus far indicates that this is another invasion.

Some people adore invasions, some hate them, and both see their own feelings as representing those of the broader UO community.

Each and every invasion has had its fans, who criticize every other invasion as not being the one they favor. This has been true at least as far as the Undead Trinsic invasion.

Oh, and the Juka Invasion was not just in the woods. The streets of Trinsic and the ground of Yew were both awash in blood.

-Galen's player

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EM events should be their own short story game time.

Major game events would have a better meaning if shard majority decided our would storyline history. An invasion should not just be a unique item grind. More along the lines of the Ophid vs Bane attempt at a storyline. A shard housing count gives weight to sway. Take the Magencia event. If player majority got over being item greedy and cared about their worlds history. What if player majority defended Mag instead of leveling it?

Players deciding the worlds history. Sure give both sides of the conflict there memory item grind. Just have events have a fork in our timeline that we decide what path we take. The return of the Chaos vs Order. World effects and how far we want to go.

Chaos gains uppper hand. World has more and stronger attacking spawn through the lands. NPC with the theiving AI drawn to high player activity area rampant growth. Negative karma player could gain the sway of a chosen creature group and be ignored if they fight their oppisite.

Those with negative karma in chaos realm maintain character caps, Those with positive Karma have lower caps. The opisite for an Order realm would be true. Virtue gains are effected by karma state and realm strength. Guard zones expand or shrink. Pets with karma and controller karma issues. Cities are karma bias and toll based on karma level And vise versa.

Order gains upper hand in the worlds path. Rise of the Paladin and Sammuri.
Wandering healers grow as a form of Squire. Hired to follow our heros on adventures with the cross healing AI of the old Juka Mage to Juka Lord. Gains in a creature type by fighting their enemies for passive traval in their area.

I know characters on the same accounts would have realm strength conflict. Why the fork in the road players can take would alway lean towards a neutral balanced world. Would take a serious player push for a world heavy to one side and a constant upkeep. To maintain a world on one extreem playstyle. Extreem world of Chaos or Order would take years to get to and not just one months event line.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would like to see the return of the old style invasions. Might just be sentimental, but I remember the early Brit invasions, and Trinsic with Jou'nar.
Invade the town, but I honestly think what most of us would rather see, is instead of one or two mobs with a gazzilion hit points, spawn a gazzilion mobs of normal strength. True we are stronger now, so instead of invading (using the old invasion as an example) with lizardmen, might should use Rat Mages and Rat archers. We successfully fought it off then, using teamwork. Warriors fought, those mages of us lucky enough to have regs stood back and healed.
Now none of that matters, or is useful. In addition to taking hours to damage, todays EM mobs are also one hit killers...no need for healers, just rezzers :p

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I would like to see the return of the old style invasions. Might just be sentimental, but I remember the early Brit invasions, and Trinsic with Jou'nar.
Invade the town, but I honestly think what most of us would rather see, is instead of one or two mobs with a gazzilion hit points, spawn a gazzilion mobs of normal strength. True we are stronger now, so instead of invading (using the old invasion as an example) with lizardmen, might should use Rat Mages and Rat archers. We successfully fought it off then, using teamwork. Warriors fought, those mages of us lucky enough to have regs stood back and healed.
Now none of that matters, or is useful. In addition to taking hours to damage, todays EM mobs are also one hit killers...no need for healers, just rezzers :p
I like the idea. There would be so many players flocking to those long-empty cities, making those places feel alive again, even if it was just for a little while. :)

N

nynyve

As much as a pain in the neck as it was... the invasions being in the woods was a much better idea. The ants, the Juka, the swamp monsters... all happened at the time when my poor little mall was nothing more then a Small Marble Shop. One gated while one defended the mall so shoppers would be safe.

As much as I stand strong to burn Lagtown city to the ground... I think its high time these invasions take part in Malas and leave Tram and Fel alone. Well... maybe not Fel, but leave the cities alone being the top issue. This is what ruined the West Brit Bank to start with. It also doesn't help the invasion spawn since AoS has been 10x+ worse then the invasion spawn before. This would surely ruin people's coming and goings from their homes. If you ask me, I think this staff is obsessed with overpowered murdering spawn and it's not fun for most players.
Agreed. The game is degenerating into a depressing arms race, making it unplayable for the casual player or someone with a slow con. Don't have the latest greatest equipment--then stay out of the dungeon, and stay away from EM events.

For a change I would like to see holiday events that a crafter can participate in, and ditto for EM events.

I am so annoyed by this loyalty thing that I haven't even unpacked from the raresfest. I may log on around Valentine's day, but other than that I will probably be inactive for many months. I have 9 tailors--the bod changes do nothing for me. If they had added new rewards, now that would have been something. Also charging 50k points to dye something a pretty color annoys me. Poor customer service, bad GMs, and the unwillingness of EA to take responsibility for their mistakes (like not replacing items that go poof or get stolen) are turning me off the game.

I still love my houses though. These are the only thing that are keeping my accounts active. If they fall because I haven't declared loyalty or because some sort of a civil war, I will close my accounts.

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking the exact same thing.... Plus my tailor loved it when the lizardmen invaded Brit.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I was thinking the exact same thing.... Plus my tailor loved it when the lizardmen invaded Brit.

Not to mention we all got the bragging statue out of it :)

Not sure about the rest of you but whatever is coming I am looking forward too honestly. I can only speak to the EM's on Atlantic from first hand knowledge, but hear about the others through the grapevine. If this arc is something they have gotten together and brewed up it should be fun as a M_____er F____er. {no, that's Mother Father - get ur mind outta the gutter :p }. They all seem to be plot heavy folks. I just hope they built in some of the fun that was had during the Inu the Crone days before KR launch. I really enjoyed the runic messages to figure out, the little clues that led you to this place or that, and trying to find the keywords to say to the different chars to get clues. There was a huge sense of community at that time on Stratics and in game both as people tried to work their way through they clues. To me that was more fun than the fighting.

C

Capn Kranky

This would get me to re-sub my accounts! Just to see Lunas walls come down.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We need to set up an “Invade Luna Club” or something. hehe

For one... it's not just a possible unique shard event... as I said, I saw this before, however I can't remember what war happened after. The Juka DID invade the woods, with the ants... with the swamp creators. 3 different invasions, 3 different times. To say otherwise is wrong.

Anyways...

Are they adding special guards to other banks on other shards like they are doing to Atlantic? This town loyalty thing... sounds like a game wide thing to me.

I really think the major fault to any invasion spawn we see is that the timer for the event is unrealistic. In other-words, they start the spawn... and just forget about it. No one cares anymore... no one hunts them anymore... and any business you to in said town is long since ruined as you’ve now set your NPC shops someplace else. The staff “forgetting” seems to be a very bad problem as we can't seam to make connection with them to remind them of bugs they forget to fix or they are so set on progressing, they can't look back at the mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes! Just some actually proactively try and connect those mistakes.

*Great example... The veteran player statues that have been broken nearly as long as they’ve been in the game.

Honestly, as far as forgetting Lagtown goes... on Atlantic we are lucky enough to have a really nice set up at West Brit Bank (tram), unique to our shard. Stables, a public moongate, and with the bank... it has everything you need to do your quick business. Some people use it... but because of the lack of guard protection, no one can trust it!!! The business allowing the turkey spawn to be lured in and murder countless victims who had no intention on taking part in these fights? Great policing.

Moonglow, at least on Atlantic (tram)... has no guard-call at all. I’m fairly sure this is an issue with other shards. Running newbies around to do cross-shard trades... and the guards don’t come to kill little pest spawn? It's annoying. The staff just “forgot” to turn the guard call back on after the last city invasion.

If anything, in the world of “realistic” story production... invasion spawn should be limited to weaker cities or outskirts and have a timer. This endless super-power guard call... guards should be all over fending off the major cities. Lagtown being over-run with criminals anyway... I can see the wall being the only defense. Bring it! hehe I’ll be the one selling ammo to the monsters. :p

N

nynyve

To me these story arcs smack too much of performance art. During the one invasion on Legends, we were punished by Yew being turned into a swamp because according to the devs, not enough players turned out for the event to prevent it.

Participation in story arcs should be voluntary.
People are busy--don't punish them for having lives outside UO.
People aren't interested--don't punish them because they are not.
People like to tell their own stories against a stable background setting. For some of us--the story arcs are a negative.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The trinsic invasion long ago with Jounar was such a lag fest for me. Half the time I couldn't tell if I was dead of if I killed something. I would breifly stop lagging and find I was dead or the fight had moved on and I was standing by myself in pile of bodies. Not much fun really and when it first started I recalled in to buy some stuff from the provisioners and lagged so bad a litch killed me before I could react. Often in town invasions I would just lock up and have to log out to find myself dead. Not much fun either. I always lag too much at events so I never join in any more.