• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Conference Call Highlights, GW2 Console Version Confirmed

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Over at Guild Wars Insider, seven posted a conference call discussing on GW2.

The big news that not only will Guild Wars 2 PC version but looks like there will be a console version available.

Great job Seven and we at Guild Wars 2 Stratics want to thank you and GWI for having this up.

Our staff will update anything that needs added so please keep an eye out on this topic.

Conference Call Highlights, GW2 Console Version Confirmed | Guild Wars 2 News Source - Guild Wars Insider

For the click link impaired:

Conference Call Highlights, GW2 Console Version Confirmed
By: Seven | Feb 15, 2012 | GW2 News

This post is still being updated as we go through the call and get info from other sources

ArenaNet Responds To Console Talk on NCSoft Conference Call:

Martin of ArenaNet chimed in over at Guru with the following response:
I think “stay calm, don’t panic” will become my new mantra.

We stated multiple times in public that we have a small team working on a console version, but that we are fully dedicated to make the most kickass game for PC
Update: Direct quote on Guild Wars 2 beta time frame and the possibility of the console port launching at the same time as the PC version. They will be holding large beta tests in March and April. The results from those two months will determine the next step. And no, it is not probable that the console version will launch at the same time.

Guild Wars 2 Beta Time Frames & Console Launch Answer

Guild Wars 2 Launch Timing Considerations: NCSoft weighs in on the various factors that will be considered when establising a launch date. It would seem that they are wary of a launch late in this year due to the results of last year’s launches.

Guild Wars 2 Launch Factors

ArenaNet has hinted before that they have pondered the idea of GW2 on a console, but previous mentions gave no serious emphasis on it’s development past that of being a hobby. The following was transcribed from the conference call.
“[Console] When it comes to Guild Wars 2 as we have announced already, we are in the preparation stage. For other titles we are looking at various options as we speak. So once again, nothing has been finalized yet for me to make specific comments now.”

Audio Version: Guild Wars 2 Console Development
We’re still giving it multiple listens, but it sound like NCsoft plans on going ahead with some kind of console access to Guild Wars 2 following launch. The also go on to mention that some development (at least in the mobile space) is being outsourced.
“In March & April there will be large scale testing for GW2; depending on results of testing a finalized commercialization schedule will be determined.”
This was kind of expected and follows along with the timeline we have come to assume ArenaNet is on. Almost… there…
“We will be considering ‘seasonality factors’ when determining final commercialization (for Blade & Soul and GW2)”
NCsoft has previously mentioned that they take player gaming habits and lifestyle into account when looking into releasing a game. Traffic on MMO servers seems to lessen during that of the summer, so lets hope for sooner than later on the release.

S

Scarsdale Punk

Does this comment really make people buy into the console version more than previous comments? Maybe I'm missing something.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it's really not new that ArenaNet was working on a console version. They always talked about it but some people were a bit upset over it.

My opinion the gamers that dont touch PC games and only console gives NcSoft and ArenaNet more avenues to try to get into that market.

Plus I think why so many were upset that it may interfere with a release date from my take from reading through the various posts. Was kind of hard to determine if they were going to try to combine a release date for both but not likely and the console would be released at a later date.

I think it works well for both the PC gamer and the Console gamer.

S

Scarsdale Punk

It's pretty old news that they've had a very small team dedicated to exploring the console possibility. I hear most of the hubbub is from newer followers of GW2. But the breaking news is "CONSOLE CONFIRMED." Guess you still need a good headline, right?

Now if they were definitely coming to console I'd consider playing on Xbox...