• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

computer reboots

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ran who crashed and it gave me these 4 reboots

On Tue 12/1/2009 3:02:05 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0xBE (0xFFFFF8000313A878, 0x5400, 0xFFFFFA600C748EE0, 0xE)
Error: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini113009-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 11/28/2009 7:41:24 AM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x41, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002282BF0)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini112809-01.dmp
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 10/10/2009 3:00:51 PM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x7F, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8000224D2A3)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini101009-01.dmp

On Tue 8/4/2009 12:05:44 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA600459F000, 0x1, 0xFFFFFA6002460FA2, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini080309-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 191.07
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 191.07

==================================
is this my video card you think? it is a few years old geforce 6600 gt and it is running 2 monitors. but beside uo i am not running much except a few browser windows.

Lorddog

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LD,

If you haven't updated the Nvidia video drivers recently, and this issue just started, something in a recent Windows patch may be causing a conflict with the existing driver. It looks like it is attempting to write to kernel reserved memory space, which is causing the blue screen.

Have you checked for an updated Nvidia driver for your video card?

-Skylark

P.S. are you by any chance running Vista?

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ya vista,

I just updated the video card to latest and the motherboard nvidea driver said i didnt have those so nvidea drivers are all up to date.
I also downloaded memtest and ran 2 of them overnight. which didnt find anything.

I guess I will wait and see if it crashes again.

Lorddog

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a known issue with some Nvidia drivers where when Vista updates, it doesn't get rid of the old version of nvlddmkm.sys and the mismatch leads to the crashes. I found several cases where the resolution involved manual updating of this particular file but to do that we'd have to get specific about your driver. If you experience the crashes following the driver update, we can go into it deeper.

-Skylark

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yep just crashed again - but this time everything just froze for 5 mins and i then gave it the 1-finger salute (pushing in and holding the power btn)

I would like to try to update the driver file as you said. is there a guide somewhere?

Lorddog

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you provide the exact specs for your video card, and your operating system?

Right click My Computer, choose Properties --> General

Give the info under "system"

Right click My Computer choose Properties --> Hardware --> Device Manager

Expand the entry for Display Adapters, right click your adapter, choose Properties, give the info on the General and Driver tabs

Here are a couple of discussions which may be related to your situation, but I wouldn't suggest following anything in them until we know more about your setup.

Article 1

This one is a couple years old and I don't think is exactly what you are experiencing other than the apparent freeze you mention now, but might be part of the issue since people are still reporting this type of thing 2 years later:

Old Known Issue (Vista TDR messages/freeze/black screen)

P

Pazuzu

On Tue 12/1/2009 3:02:05 AM your computer crashed

On Tue 8/4/2009 12:05:44 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys
Your recent crash (12/1/2009) is NOT video card related. NTOSKRNL.exe is, essentially, the operating system itself. The error, attempt to write to read only memory is usually/very often indicative of bad/failing RAM.

The 8/4/2009 crash was video card related, yes, but that was 4 months ago. ;)

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kernel crashes can be caused by windows updates as well. I've seen this recently. Uninstall any windows updates installed just before the first crash and see if it clears up. Also, download ccleaner and clean temp files, as well as registry. (This is the only registry cleaner I will personally vouch for).

http://www.ccleaner.com/download - Use the "Alternative download" link.

L

liquiddrool

Looks like a memory issue of some sort, could be RAM or video card memory. Might be software too you can wipe your OS and reinstall to be sure :)

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would look at the PSU, a dieing PSU having voltage irregularities cause these things which effects perfectly good ram. I would also do a chkdsk on the HD. If you have a solid state drive, do not defragment. This causes the same stuff.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One issue I had recently with an issue related to a similar video card causing crashes I ended up having to:

Power down the system
Remove said video card
reboot system
remove drivers for said card
reboot system
turn off system
Put card back on Mother Board
Turn back on and reinstall with latest drivers

That was the only way I corrected the issue.

Not saying that will fix your issue, just sharing something similar that was occuring with me.

You can also check here:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

I have also seen a similar issue where the someone had to download a new bootvid.dll because it was corrupted, but I cannot find that posting now.