• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Complete Ban On Cell Phone Use While Driving Sought

R

Richard Pryor

Personally, I'm a huge fan of people crashing into me/other people, so I'm against banning any distractions in the car. I feel that drivers should have the protected right to crash their car into whomever/whatever they please. What you're witnessing is further erosion of our rights and by golly, I'm sick and tired of all this silly nonsense.

K

kalzaketh

as one who lives in the midwest, up in the northern reaches where we tend to get alot of snow, I think the idea couldn't hurt as this morning after watching adistracted driver nearly rearend asnowplow that has highly visible flashing lights at 7am the sun was rising the car slid close enough to get many scratches on the frontend from the salt spreader, that phone car will cost the driver at acouple hundred in repairs come spring so a ban on non emergency phone usage is acceptable to myself.

Bella Morte

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good. Perhaps then all the morons too distracted by their brain pacifier to drive can actually stay in their lane, not run into the back of my cars, and generally be forced to become slightly more intelligent than a cow.

Radical idea: Want to talk on the phone? Stay at home and talk on the phone.

S

Sunrise

From a role playing point of view..whats a Cell? or a Phone? :p

I

IdoBods

personally, i think its a great idea.
somehow we managed as a society to live for years with no cell phones, my guess is that we would still survive if there was a ban on using your cell phone in a moving car.
from the perspective of a health care worker who used to work in a trauma hospital - think about the parents/family/children being told that your loved one is dead either because they were using a cell phone or that the driver of the other car was using one.
i'm not one that likes the government to tell us what we can and can't do, but in this situation it is obvious that most people don't have the common sense to realize how distract you become while talking on the phone and driving.
i hope this becomes law.

Raza Tha Don Mega

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
on this whole cell phone thing. i would like to say F the us government for even bringin this up and passing bs laws.. we have these old f$cks in office- old people dont know how to learn and deal with how the world is moving with tech nowadays. the problem is the old people onthe phones goin 50 in the fast lane- or the dumb batch that is talkin on her phone driving and doin her make up- let these dumb fcks kill themselves- and for the new president- hope he gets on too :gun: lmfao f the government and there "laws" double whopper with cheese whats next, no music while driving? lol no eating while driving? where does this BS end

Raza Tha Don Mega

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
personally, i think its a great idea.
somehow we managed as a society to live for years with no cell phones, my guess is that we would still survive if there was a ban on using your cell phone in a moving car.
from the perspective of a health care worker who used to work in a trauma hospital - think about the parents/family/children being told that your loved one is dead either because they were using a cell phone or that the driver of the other car was using one.
i'm not one that likes the government to tell us what we can and can't do, but in this situation it is obvious that most people don't have the common sense to realize how distract you become while talking on the phone and driving.
i hope this becomes law.
well idiots that cant talk and drive dont belong on the rode period- i would tell the parents- your kid was to stupid to pay attention to the rode while on the phone- the world is a better place- hope it become law? lol.. i talk on my phone every d@mn day while driving- i will not stop cause some old @ss government passed a law- i see cops talkin on the phone all the time- its a bs law and your a fool if you believe its right. your the type of idiot that voted osama bin laden into office. watch what that fck does-:gun:

T

Turdnugget

Wow Raza... you've got some radical points of view...

There's some states banning cell phone useage while driving with teenagers. I think that's good. They're typically inexperienced and are easily distracted.

I think it'd be dumb to ban them all together.

They're not the only distraction while driving. What about a neat sign? A funky looking car? A hot chick on the sidewalk? Driving by the scene of an accident? Staring at a homeless person's sign? Talking to your passenger? Getting your kid his french fries and drink?

All are daily distractions that can just as easily cause an accident.

Bella Morte

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It should be noted that "Raza" actually managed to maintain a permanent address in real life for nearly a year. And that toward the end of that period, he was able to write it out correctly on forms and envelopes.

Of course, such things (permanent addresses, spelling, grammar, checking AND savings accounts) are only for "old people."

He continues on, ushering in a new & changing world, cellphone leading him.

"Wut?"

Bella Morte

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow Raza... you've got some radical points of view...

There's some states banning cell phone useage while driving with teenagers. I think that's good. They're typically inexperienced and are easily distracted.

I think it'd be dumb to ban them all together.

They're not the only distraction while driving. What about a neat sign? A funky looking car? A hot chick on the sidewalk? Driving by the scene of an accident? Staring at a homeless person's sign? Talking to your passenger? Getting your kid his french fries and drink?

All are daily distractions that can just as easily cause an accident.
True, but doing something is better than doing nothing, and cellphone usage while driving causes the most problems these days.

But all you describe is why most lawmakers and politicians want to put us into a world that resembles THX-1138...

Bella Morte

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well idiots that cant talk and drive dont belong on the rode period- i would tell the parents- your kid was to stupid to pay attention to the rode while on the phone- the world is a better place- hope it become law? lol.. i talk on my phone every d@mn day while driving- i will not stop cause some old @ss government passed a law- i see cops talkin on the phone all the time- its a bs law and your a fool if you believe its right. your the type of idiot that voted osama bin laden into office. watch what that fck does-:gun:
HOW I ENGLISH! HOW I ENGLISH! TELL ME IT!

You were saying something about "stupid" kids?

T

Turdnugget

I agree that cell phones are at the forefront of 'distraction' accidents.

Maybe you should have to take a test while driving and using a cellphone and if you fail. You get banned from using a cell while driving :D

R

Richard Pryor

While I'm all for limiting government oversight in my personal life but I'm also for living in a society where stupidity is somehow kept in check. Since beating people with hoses is generally frowned upon these days it seems as the only tool left is government intervention.

I'd be more than happy to administer the beatings, so if you feel that it's unfair for the government to ban cell phone usage while driving, write your local congressman and propose that he exempt you from the law as long as I get to beat you.

Jesse James

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I must agree with alot of RAZA has to say- the government has become a joke and where will all this end-no food while driving-no music- no passengers talkin to the driver- no kids in the car- its all a big joke- and the government has become a joke- i really agree with RAZA on the part of the new president as a pathetic joke and anyone who voted him into office. it is a sad day when he is sitting in the oval office- sad day for america

R

Richard Pryor

A friend of mine said something like the government shouldn't ban drugs because they don't ban other bad stuff like candy, alcohol, and cigarettes.

He didn't say that so much because he believed it, but more so because he wanted to smoke pot without getting roughed up by the po po.

-------------------

The cold harsh reality is that since our society shy's away from self policing, ie, beating each other with hoses, it falls into the government's hands.

I'm all for beating on each other. It'd be a better country if our actions were directed not by the selfish motivations they are currently directed, but more by the fear of the severe beatings we might receive if we **** someone off.

It would atleast create jobs - beating clean-up jobs, hose manufacturing jobs, hospital type jobs... Hell, the bandage industry would get a serious boost! I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

K

kalzaketh

lol, when did it become a congressional right to use acellphone? the last I knew cell phones were aminor privilage for those who can afford them,NO I don't own nor use a cell phone,I choose not to overate my own importance, if your so important that you need to be on the phone constantly get an office and stay there all day.:)

T

Turdnugget

I mainly use my cell to text my wife while I'm at work... other than that I use up maybe 1 hour of my calling time a month...

P

Pezu

I must agree with alot of RAZA has to say- the government has become a joke and where will all this end-no food while driving-no music- no passengers talkin to the driver- no kids in the car- its all a big joke- and the government has become a joke- i really agree with RAZA on the part of the new president as a pathetic joke and anyone who voted him into office. it is a sad day when he is sitting in the oval office- sad day for america
Banning cell phone usage while driving is overly broad, in my opinion. I've worked as a paramedic and as a police officer. I've seen my share of traffic accidents and violations due to people not paying attention for various reasons. In California there are two newer laws on the books:

1) You cannot use a wireless communication device (i.e. cell phone) while driving unless the phone is being used in a manner that allows for hands-free use (i.e. bluetooth headset).

2) You cannot use a wireless device to read, write, or send text-based communication.

With regards to talking, item 1 has several exceptions. You can use a phone that features a push to talk (PTT) hotkey or a walkie-talkie if you are driving a commercial truck (i.e. tow truck, construction vehicle). Also, there is a law that completely prohibits anyone under the age of 18 from talking on the phone while driving. The only exception is if you are making a call to an emergency number (i.e. 911) or are a sworn law enforcement officer engaged in the performance of your duties.

I think these laws are great. I am opposed to laws interfering with individual civil liberties, but I also know that there are far too many morons in this world who pose a danger not only to themselves, but also to others. And I sure as hell don't want some window licking ****** to crash into me because they're not paying attention due to cell phone usage.

All that being said, I know there are many other distractions that happen in cars... what with all the eating a big mac while holding a double big gulp soda while putting on eye liner, lipstick, and shaving while trying to shift into 3rd gear....and all...