1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Broadsword team is seeking alternative castle designs! Learn more and discuss here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Broadsword is hosting a 20th Anniversary Party for UO this September! Learn more here. Will you be there, Guest?
    Dismiss Notice

Coming up on 20 Years...who's still around from the original days?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by MorganaLefay(POV), May 16, 2017.

1. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

Started on my sister's account in November 1997 as me being an Apple Elitist didn't think PeeCees were worth doing anything but accounting. This graphic artist soon became a real geek, building my own frakenstein of a PC and buying UO with my tax return several months later. Have been through most all of it since except for a break where I thought I'd get rid of the gaming bug.

Nope. bug is still firmly attached to my spinal column. Don't think will be removed anytime soon.

MalagAste likes this.
  2. Cymidei

Cymidei UO Pacific News Reporter
    Supporter Alumni Campaign Supporter

Since: 5/14/98 :banana:

3. Lug

Lug Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I bought UO from best buy in Oct 97, but didn't create a account until Dec 97. I still hear the sound of my characters hitting training dummies when I remember my first days of UO.

old gypsy likes this.
  4. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I own two castles one of which i have had for 15 years and the thought of loosing the castle and all those memories is just too hard to let go. The reason i dont play much any more is the time commitment that is needed. Its not a game you can just dip in and out of. Just to relearn all the mechanics and updating of suits and weapons is a royal pain in the butt. I have tried a few times to come back but its a massive job just getting your self back to a competitive stage.

Slayvite likes this.
  5. Cutter

Cutter Visitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Feb' of '98 here.

Lots of hiatii' (is that a word?) between then and now but amazing this game is still here almost 20 yrs later!

I miss server wars when everyone broke out their vanq' weaps. Most probably remember the brit cemetary, but in the old dread-lord days server down was at 11 am EST and the battles took place outside of covetous.

6. Merus

Merus Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

I loved the server down wars at Brit graveyard! Some of the best game time ever!

7. J. E. Tamer

J. E. Tamer Journeyman
    Governor

Dec '97.
    I was supposed to meet up with some coworkers, and never did.
    Original character: Burton (Baja), miner-smither.

8. showtime414

showtime414 Journeyman

Played a friends account while I was a bouncer at a bar in key west. He told me about it, let me try it out which was Jan. 98. I think I got my own account in the summer of that year. First character was Thamior (swordsman) after training and training I learned of the bone knight room where 20 people stood on top of each other smacking one at a time while BS'ing in game and whatever messenger program your game friends used. Still playing but not on that account. Wish I could find some of the old accounts I had.

9. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Moderator Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend

I was introduced to UO while it was in Beta, a buddy of mine that lived off base ( I was still in the USMC at the time ) was part of the testing. He let me play around with the game for an hour or so and showed me this and that.... A pending deployment, and several months of extra training to prep for it followed by preoccupation with everything from rehab for a knee surgery following the deployment, to separating at the end of my contract kept me from actually picking up until fall of 1999. There have been some breaks here and there and quite honestly the game I was fascinated with is pretty much gone and fallen victim to AoS and the continually un-necessary need to "Revamp" things. For me the inherit simplicity of UO was a big part of what I enjoyed I play games to get away from the spread sheets and other complexities of the real world, not to add a new set being disguised as "entertainment".

10. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend

i am 1997

11. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I was late to the show compared to a lot of folk here. I first read about the game in christmas 99 and on 2nd January 2000, when the shops reopened after new years day out I went to by the boxed game from my local game store. Got back to work and told one of the guys at work and he went out and bought it too.

Our first adventure was meeting up in Yew and just going out to see what the lands held. He got bitten by a snake and poisoned immediately. He ran around screaming and ran back to Yew thinking the NPC hear would cure him but the poison just wore off. We then decided to walk down to Skara Brae and encountered the hut with the red NPC in it. He got one hit killed and I ran to Skara like a girl. Brave warriors one and all!

A few more of the guys at work signed up and the five of us had some great adventures when it was all new and every wander out into the wildrness we never knew what we would find. Discovering Fire Isle and the lost lands were particularly epic. We didnt need quests or bosses or 'epic loot' ... just the adventure.

It cost us a fortune at the time due to per minute dial up costs and nearly cost my mate his marriage at one point! Modern day gamers dont know how good they have it with broadband speeds and always on connections. We had it hard gaming wise. :violin:

old gypsy and Storm like this.
  12. Ancient Sosarian

Ancient Sosarian Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I began Playing UO in September of 1997 & have Played continuously to the Present Day! Though beginning on Atlantic/Catskills/& Great Lakes, once Baja opened I moved there and Never Left. So Looking Forward to 20th Anniversary!

13. Lore

Lore Adventurer

I was so bad at this game when I first started I never left Moonglow island pre-Tram. Eventually returned not long after and mined around Minoc a lot until I met a player on AOL Legends named JOVE. She showed me Despise earth eles and we cross healed a lot and bonded. I joined the Army and got married so lost contact with her. Eventually my wife and I played on Origin instead of AOL Legends. When AOS dropped we came up with a plan to grind gold really quick on the Earth Eles in Ilsh and try to buy a Luna house. The Luna house didn't happen, but we got a 18x18 spot.

Some favorite memories include fighting with a dude for dragons on Demon Isle at a player house people abused to kill them. He dropped a moonstone to Fel and we went in to duel. He was a macer and I was a swordsman. A few minutes later I was without armor and dying. We became friends. Good times.

I'm back after another long break... :)

Bucs Den Inc. likes this.
  14. Ancient Sosarian

Ancient Sosarian Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

*Bows then Salutes to the Dark Mistress* Words Truly Fail to Convey My Thanks for ALL You Do for US!

15. NuSair

NuSair Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Been playing since Beta.

Merlin likes this.
  16. Vershawn

Vershawn Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

12/26/1997 Sonoma
    Was a christmas present
    Still here off and on as well

17. Bucs Den Inc.

Bucs Den Inc. Journeyman

@Mesanna any thought about bringing the old opening chest log in screen back for the anniversary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianFreud likes this.
  18. Riply

Riply Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

me :) from the day of the tent houses

19. Lord Obsidian

Lord Obsidian Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Benefactor

Started Jan '98 as "Katarrh" on Atlantic, together with 2 r/l friends which were both familiar with the whole Ultima series.
    They always made fun of me for not being able to read the runic town names on the cloth map... Amskmr? ah, Vesper... where the hell is that? :confused:

20. BrianFreud

BrianFreud Lead Wiki Mod & Doer of Crazy Things
    Professional Wiki Editor Wiki Moderator Campaign Supporter

Great idea!

21. zamot

zamot Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I am still here just havent been playing that much. oldest account 18years 9 months

22. UNKNOWN of Atlantic

UNKNOWN of Atlantic Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I started back in summer of 2003 with a Pc gamer demo disc of AOS. Since it was good old dial up days Atlantic had the best Speed for me & my old E machine. I Remember the Newbie Confusion & starting to work on all skills Not realizing there was a cap on total amount :facepalm: , but through killing harpies and collecting feathers I could sell & got rich I mean WOW I made 1,000 gold pieces.In doing so In Old Haven city I meet a Smith working at the local Center Blacksmithing area. He was repairing items & selling His made items ...so Started My friendship with Der Hammerschlag. Who eventually became my Guild master. Was a small guild (KSL) Knights of Stone and Light, in vesper that was nestled just west of vesper bank across the bridge along side the VEW (Vesper Elite Warriors) guild. Back then is was a miracle if you found a 7x7 spot to place a house. A friend of Ders let us know of a 7x7 in decay mode & der gave me money to try & place it. Well I did and even back then 250 storage filled up fast. So I had to go out try find A bigger house decaying & I did Eventually teaming up with another guild mate Monkeyfrog, We did a lot of looting ... and then Came the Ultima riots. Cant remember the year but it was when UO did the first Mass house decay Large numbers on houses in one area all decaying at same time. People fighting & looting :pirate::sword:trying to place houses ...Ahh if I only knew back then what I know now ... I can imagine so much cool stuff just vanishing :sad2:. was still fun We filled up our houses so fast, it was crazy. Haha I remember us having a house was filled with just T-maps. Always got a lot stuff cus even on dial up I was a decent placer & I would place slab & co own Monkeyfrog (AKA Pickem) & we would run loot onto slab ... Which is why the new placing timer is in effect now to give everyone a change to snag something. I have so many great memories in this game. I have made Great friends Whom I still keep in contact with thanks to Facebook. I went from using someone elses house with 1 chest of 125 items to a 7x7 to my 4 castles now all through Idocing Selling loot & placing houses. I was one that placed both tram Yew gate castles and currently still own the felluca Yew gate castle I placed. Each of those spot took between 5-6 years of holding houses Buying out neighbors to place them. I don't know of any other game that devoted players spend money on 8-10 accounts for so long. I love travling around & looking at Houses I have placed and sold & see that person I sold it too still owns that same house. OH and who can forget the Special Christmas gift of the 14 day revert :flame::wall::gee:

Cymidei likes this.