• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Citan

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
How do you want these forums to be used? And do you want bugs reported here or in game? Is there a way to point new alpha players to these forums? Is there a place anywhere where skills and quests information? Are we still using team speak? and is there a way to point new players there?

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
I'd like to use these forums for general discussion as well as to hear suggestions: skills that are overpowered, quests too hard/easy, etc. Actual bugs (skills don't work, quests can't be completed, etc.) should be done in the game's bug-report tool.

I'll add a link to the forums shortly -- I'm adding a new landing page to projectgorgon.com and it'll point people here for forums.

There is not currently a place to get skill and quest info, that I know of. There was a wiki set up a while back but I'm not sure of its status. I could dump a list of existing "favor" style quests and also some basic info about existing skills, if that's useful in setting up a wiki.

I didn't set up the team speak server, a player did, so I'm not sure about the status of that either!

Last edited:

Kaldane

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I , as of yesterday, am currently trying to update the wiki and make it somewhat easy to find information. It has very little information and anything that I could say copy/paste and or have more correct information on (Quests mostly as I have already done most of them last alpha and dont remember much about them). Anything at all would be helpful to add content more quickly.

Citan

VIP
Stratics Veteran
Here's a dump of current quest info. (Quests that aren't "favors" are more custom-coded, so they're missing some info, but at least it's a list...) It's an Excel file. For skills, I've just attached one of the game's data files that happens to have pretty good overview information -- open it in a text editor like notepad to get the goods out of it!

Many of the skills in that file are not used yet and some will never be used, but for the existing ones, it has description info and the various abilities you get as you level them up.

Let me know if other info would help also!

Attachments

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Thanks! I know as a newer tester, it may be frustrating because there are no skill trees, or places to drop points or obvious announcement of your levels. I get it because I played AC. It looks to me that if you use a skill, you level in that skill. If you are level 5 in swords, you are a level 5 swordsman. And you can also be a level 20 fisherman. Is there a limit to how many skills you can raise up?

These documents are wonderful, thank you. I myself try not to use walkthroughs but they are handy when I get stuck or I am looking for a specific reward. I don't think I would be any good at contributing to the wiki, but I could write a newbie page for the forums. Explaination of the current UI and hints that may help folks get started. With screen caps. I love screen caps!

Last edited:

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
do you have an overhead map of the town or an overhead screen shot that shows the buildings?

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
oh! I would also like some history and culture of the races and places.

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
and a larger pic of the overhead shot of the forest region.

Thanks!

Citan

VIP
Stratics Veteran
You're correct that skills are raised by usage. When you fight something, you get XP based on combat skills you've used in the past 60 seconds. Which means if you punch monster A to death and then stab monster B to death, you'll still likely get part of the monster's XP as Unarmed XP. It's set up that way because it seems to make more sense for groups. There's no limit to the number of skills you can max out.

Here's the map pics... not super helpful but it's what I have handy! Though those maps really show how much of the area is still undeveloped.

Hmm, race info... the race pages aren't done yet, they're just a bunch of bullet lists right now. Ah, how about this from an upcoming character generation screen. The text is still in the works, but it's ... again, what I have handy :) Might be of some use. Or not.

Humans
Racial Culture: Humans are notoriously prudish and petty, but they are extremely loyal to their friends. They value honesty and hard work, and hate lazy people.

Everyone agrees that Humans make excellent traders and negotiators.

Elves say: "They're rude and greedy. And for how much they hate sex, you'd be surprised how horny they are. Oh, but they make great friends! They love trading."
Rakshasa say: "They're trustworthy merchants and they make charismatic leaders. They love feeling in control... it makes them happy. They work incredibly long hours."
Orcs say: "The smart ones have silver tongues and can trick an orc out of his breakfast. But the dumb ones are dumber than any orc! Their warriors are no match for orcs, but their wizards are feared. Human merchant camps are neutral ground, so try not to burn those down too often."

Elves
Racial Culture: Elves are sex-addicted, forest-loving, and obsessively clean. They live a long time and tend to master a lot of skills, but prefer to live a simple life when possible.

Everyone knows that it's nearly impossible to piss off an elf... they're just so friendly! But if you DO get them angry somehow, they never forgive and they never relent.

Humans say: "They're friendly and honest, but don't be fooled: all Elves are disgusting perverts. Many are charm-rapists, too!"
Rakshasa say: "Their laws are surprisingly primitive, they're prone to bouts of depression when lonely, and they're constantly washing their hands. But they're generous and fair, in their way."
Orcs say: "They're easily manipulated. They're dangerous warriors, but then they get freaked out about blood and dirt. That's hilarious. Their men make good stud slaves for our women."

Rakshasa
Racial Culture: although their culture is extremely advanced, many Rakshasa have recently "gone savage", as the Humans put it, leaving their cities and forming camps in the wilderness. It's unclear why.
Rakshasa laws are very unique, and often cause conflict with other races.
Everyone knows that Rakshasa are quick to anger, but most are also quick to forgive. They're also known for their complex sense of justice and their dry sense of humor.
Humans say: "There's two kinds: the city dwellers and the nomads. The city ones keep slaves, which is obscene. But the nomads are pretty lazy, preferring to hunt for sport rather than work to improve themselves."
Elves say: "Talking with Rakshasa is exhausting. It's so easy to upset them! But they're pretty open about sex, and they're very generous."
Orcs say: "Rakshasa are good allies, 'cuz what's not to like about a swordfighting tiger? But never trust 'em. They can turn on you in a second. One second they're helping you 'achieve justice,' and the next second 'you've gone too far and now you must die.' Watch your back around 'em."

Attachments

Citan

VIP
Stratics Veteran
Actually here's an in-editor screen of the town, probably more useful for locating NPCs and such.

Hmm, the terrain still looks all crappy and tiled. But it'll get there eventually.

Attachments

Last edited:

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awesome thanks! My first objective is an NPC chart. Then I am going to try to replicate the starter town in Grome for practice. (I have a licence still from another project that went bad) Also, if the elves are forest loving, why are they in a human town? Are they refugees? or are the current buildings place holders? If they are place holders, has there been any thought or concept art as to what an elf community would be like?

On skills, if I am understanding you right, once I have kick, I can switch to cow and still raise unarmed along with cow. Also can we move skills around on our skill bar? I have a game pad, but I do better if the skill bar shows the skills in the order they are on my game pad.

Finkum

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
You can drag and drop the different skills from the selection list to your skill bars, allowing you to place them in any order you choose, if that's what you mean?

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
What I mean is I want to mix up skill types on one bar. I want back kick, front kick, Unarmed kick, spore bomb, and the acid explosion, on one bar. On a second lower left bar I would put short buffs and heals and food. The sidebar would be good for taming, and other non-combat stuff. As far as I can see you can assign one skill type to one bar. If the idea is to only allow two skill types active at once and regulate it that way, then in might work for me is I had the option of having my second bar under the first.....and be able throw at least spore bomb on there like you can food and potions. I am not sure if the acid are considered a third skill. I just started doing it yesterday and I liked it.

Finkum

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm pretty sure the 2 "main" skill bars are limited to abilities of one skill school by design. Otherwise it's too easy to cherry-pick neat abilities from all of your different skills (although the weapon swapping to facilitate this would be a complete pain). As you say the side bar can have any of your miscellaneous abilities (and potions/bacon etc), so maybe Eric can recode the UI to allow you to change where each bar is positioned?

Last edited: