• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Churches In UO

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Splup

But in honesty I don't need to be reminded in a game that I enjoy that I am going to hell for being gay. I get enough of that IRL

ROFLMAO! Move to Europa, some not Catholic country and you'll be ok hehe. If I remember correctly we have some lutheric gay priests here in Finland. In Sweden they think about letting gays get married in Church.

Pope is even against condoms... Catholism urgh... Now that economic situation is bad maybe they start selling indulgences again :D

Ok don't take me too seriously, I joke about religions and critize them, I don't take them too seriously. I know some people do so I'm sry if I offended you, but this is my opinion and you are free to disagree :)

A

AesSedai

- Splup, maybe you should: go tell it on the llama (err mountain?, heh), here and there and everywhere ;)

Religion &/or whatever: a great way to spread thoughts is to invite people to enjoy it, rather than force it... I went to Mardi Gras in New Orleans many times and the primary thing I hated about it was the people forcing their religious views on strangers while thinking they are doing it solely for the sake of good / good's work ~ Repent the end is near! Find God or be Damned!... You know what - whatever. They turn more people off of their belief than they turn on, imho. But to each his own in regards to religion and everything else I can think of too :)
(Now why in the heck did I bite on this thread? I dunno. Oh yeah, maybe because the people that tried to force their religious beliefs on me began to irk me at least 15+ years ago, when I would've respected their religious derivations much more, had they not tried to force it... Still, I have taken classes and studied world religions to a significant extent on my own. I am quite content with my personal faith because I sought what I needed when I felt the need (just as many seem to, imho). One more thing to keep this witch's cauldron brewing: all religions generally teach the same thing: be good ;))

R

rieley

Whoa!!!!

First talking serpents, now talking llamas...yes! Dang, I'm Wiccan....think I'd be able to hear these llamas too?

I want to see these so bad, please I'll behave. Where and when are they in Luna? What shard? Can anyone go to his church? Can we ask questions? I'm excited about this, no one ever answers my questions and I'm sincere!

How can one meet this person?

I have so many questions.

C

Chiera

One more thing to keep this witch's cauldron brewing: all religions generally teach the same thing: be good ;))
well yes, but then again it is the details that matter in the case of belief systems, e.g. be good to whom ? ;)

But apart from that I think what this guy does is highly bannable, or since when is it allowed to advertise ingame for another massive multiplayer fantasy game like religion ?!?

A

AesSedai

- I think the general synopsis may be: be good to all mankind.
(Just my opinion & I understand it may not apply to all, all of the time, hehe)

As for the rest of your reply, I truly see your point.
(This subject has sparked my interest; I actually logged back in, after a final glance of the forum, to respond. I need to wake up in about 2 hours or else I would be eating my :popcorn: & looking forward to reading more replies. Maybe tomorrow, or in a few days, I'll be able to get back to it. Peace)

R

rieley

I also checked back in once I noticed my cauldron starting to brew. My reason is I love to hear others views. And have learned to keep conversation respectful. New Orleans is fantastic! Hey, is the capital of Louisanna pronounced New "ore-leans" or New "ore lans"?

However I really would like to hear what this person in Luna is saying. As for "be good", do your best to keep your actions from harming another. Even your words can harm another. We all make mistakes, I call them learning lessons.

As for learning of another's belief..to me that is education. Now to attempt to convert one to my belief, to me, that is a liability I do not want.

There are good people in all beliefs.

M

MorganaLeFey

lmao this topic has been visited once before!, and it is the same individual who is doing it across shards and coming to a siege near you lmao
this might be alot like re opening a closed wound, since this threads last few comments things have become quiet on our shard and the book dropping and llama sightings have died.
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=121939

Um, sorry to say O, but ya missed it! There were books dropped that said "Got Jesus?" and Llamas placed in certain areas that "broadcasted" scriptural readings. It was either yesterday or the day before when that happened.

I won't share my thoughts on the matter, but I will say that it was somewhat, dis... distracting to say the least.

M

MorganaLeFey

HEHEHEHE

For being a Homosexual

better?
You go girl... erm guy!

Don't be so quick to jump into Hell. Its already visited upon us, in UO and IRL of sorts. LOL

Besides, don't you know that God loves all of his creatures?!? :D

M

MorganaLeFey

Let me preface this by begging the mods not to lock this thread, as it is relevant. I know its a touchy issue, but that's exactly why it should be discussed.

My point is exactly opposite. If I were to, say, go on a hour long Koran spiel, best believe I'd be paged on or that someone would be making a big stink. Never mind if I talk about any of the more "taboo" religions which are actually followed today such as LaVeyan Satanism, Wicca, Voodoo, or Heathanism (to which I personally mostly subscribe).

My bet is that, even if he were paged on, nothing would be done about it because Christianity is western society's pet religion.

You say its only a problem because its Christian? I say its only OK because its Christian. Show me an example of a monument on Government property representing a minority religion. If they exist, they're rare to the point I've never seen or heard of one, but we hear at least twice a year of a Christian one being erected or defended in some school, court house, or public park.

Show me an example of someone being threatened by police with physical harm in the united states because they wanted to organize a peaceful protest of a religion other than Christianity. I can site one the other way around.

I know some wonderful Christians, but only very few. Most have never even opened the bible. I don't fault you for not noticing these things, why would you? You're on the other side of the fence. You believe in the right invisible man.
By definition, not entirely my own, I am a practicing heathen as well. I respect all religions and their right to practice however they see fit. Having said that though; mutual respect is never common between the religious, unfortunately.

Since this happens more often than not, I have to be the one to choose whether to be offended or not.

But, I do understand and agree with your perspective on the matter.

M

MorganaLeFey

Firstly, I see no problem with anybody following their religion in privacy, quietly and without dragging in people who want to keep real-life religion out of gameplay. Of course, in this situation, this guy's not doing that. He's being obnoxious about it and it should be stopped - this is encroaching upon the free will of others, it's not acknowledging their right to choose their own religion without being harrassed about it, and, well, it's breaking the immersion (which is hardly an issue in this case, but it's still an issue regardless.)

I am displeased about the posters in this thread claiming that the OP and his supporters hate Christians or wouldn't care if it was another religion preaching in public. I can only imagine that if these people - and I mean those who brush aside the OP's complaint with "You just hate Christianity!" - one day came across a llama full of communication crystals spamming, say, Islamic propaganda, they would be disgusted. Claims that Christians, of all groups, are unfairly persecuted always irritate me; I know as well as you do that you are only defending this behaviour because you think that because it's your religion, it's superior.

If the llama were spamming "Allahu akbaar," the Shema Yisra'el or even Hare Krishna chants, you would be the first to complain. And yes, I would support you as I'm supporting the OP now - and if I, say, started up a synagogue service in the bank, I would expect others to confront me about it and they would be well within their right to do so. Nobody of any faith has the right to enforce their preaching on others on common ground like an online game. You can say "They are just words," but the implications and ideas wrapped up in those words are what's important. To me, being proselytised at on UO is as bad as having to endure others' religious ranting in real life because while UO may not be real, the intentions of the ranters are exactly the same.

tl;dr: Kill the llamas.
Excellently said. Couldn't have done better meself.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it's time to call a halt to this one, it's gone as far as it usefully can.

Status
Not open for further replies.