• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Churches In UO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Majick

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay. Before anyone gets excited I dont want to make a church. I am wondering why a person can have llamas strategically placed all over luna with comm crystals in packs so that when he talks in his church (on north side of Luna), it can be heard outside of the building? Personally it bugs me a bit, but not enough to persay page on the guy. I have had some guildmates say it bugs them, along with friends. Who at EA can I talk too about the legality of this? I dont personaly care if he does the "Preaching" in his house, where if I dont wanna see if I dont go in, but when pack animals placed all over luna are stating everything that he says whether I want to hear it or not, its kind of agitating. It also could be offensive to someone else as well if christianity was not there religion. Who can I email or do I just need to page on the guy next time I see him doing it in game?

PS...I am a christian...doesn't offend me persay, but if I wanted to hear someone preach I would go to church!?!

S

SwordBlaze

That's hilarious which shard is that on? Anyway I do not know if it's illegal. I do not think it is. I guess you can put the guy on ignore if that even works with comm crystals. I am agnostic and if someone gets "offended" they needa chill lol.

S

Sebrina

*rotflmao*

*shrugs* I've been invited to a couple of churches in this game.
In real life sure, I will accompany a friend, no matter how bizzare it may seem, but ONLINE and (in-game?)

*sings* "Shove me into shallow water before I get too deep!"

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No, Its not illegal.
Someone should tell that guy to just start running a church instead of yapping at everyone.
I know tons of people that are interested in going to an In game church.

K

Kiwillian

Kill the llamas :)

We did something similar on Atlantic once. Put some llamas around luna and WBB and broadcast "Noob Radio live from New Haven". :)

R

Ravahan

That's hilarious which shard is that on? Anyway I do not know if it's illegal. I do not think it is. I guess you can put the guy on ignore if that even works with comm crystals. I am agnostic and if someone gets "offended" they needa chill lol.
I tend to be offended on principle, or at least pretend to be, because I know that same person would start a huge stink if any non-christian did the same thing.

In any case, its distasteful.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Kill the llamas. That is what we would do. Rico? Could you steal the crystals?

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lmao this topic has been visited once before!, and it is the same individual who is doing it across shards and coming to a siege near you lmao
this might be alot like re opening a closed wound, since this threads last few comments things have become quiet on our shard and the book dropping and llama sightings have died.
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=121939

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
All you do is put your llamas next to it and preach Devil Worship. Since they can do christian rants and raves you should be able to worship satin and tell everyone about it and have them join your Devil Worship Church.

But in honesty I don't need to be reminded in a game that I enjoy that I am going to hell for being gay. I get enough of that IRL

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol that's awesome.

So there is actually a use for com crystals...

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Otis, you are truly an evil man! I thought I had finally gotten over being basically accused of being the Anti-Christ for making a polite request, and here you drudge that up! *stared pointedly at Otis*

Oh, and the llamas were broadcasting yesterday on my one trip through Luna ... I was trying to figure out how to kill them, alas they were blue ...

T

Teeshy

That would bug the heck out of me. I find that incredibly rude of them, to be pushing their rubbish onto other people like that. If people want to go hear it, they can go hear it.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ummm just ignore the guy.... some folks are so sensitive. It's not as though You're forced to listen to him.

Black Majick

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ummm just ignore the guy.... some folks are so sensitive. It's not as though You're forced to listen to him.
No, but when I am shopping at the shop right beside his llama it is on my screen...am I supposed to get and go somewhere else to shop or come back later...I should not and it effects my gaming ability. Not that it really matters to me, but a friend a few people I know are constantly complaining in vent or TS about them. I think that if he wants to do his church service too do it in his church and keep the llamas out of luna. I personally dont care what you do with your time and what you type in your house, but when your llamas are stationed all over luna spamming about Jesus and God it does effect my gameplay.

btw...shard is Sonoma.

Black Majick

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tend to be offended on principle, or at least pretend to be, because I know that same person would start a huge stink if any non-christian did the same thing.

The actual sad part is that one of my friends (she has not played in nearly 6 months) just came back and saw them last nite. Well she is thinking about opening up a "Devil Worship" church just to prove a point.

D

Dor of Sonoma

...In any case, it's distasteful.
*nods in agreement*

The line of offensiveness is definitely crossed, once you begin to foist (what should be privately held) beliefs upon others, via active and relentless proselytizing.

I do not think that such activity is appropriate ingame - and if it were to take place in Felucca, I'd be tempted to kill more than llamas. ;-)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lmao this topic has been visited once before!, and it is the same individual who is doing it across shards and coming to a siege near you lmao
I don't think that would be wise. His lammas and his self wouldn't last too long. :p

Kahlan_FHP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too bad it's a game and you just have to live with it. I get offended when I see orcs say "urkglkjbjrjgjrgflkjr!"

I swear, people find the stupidest things to pancake about. How about we fix the rampant speed hacking, duping etc?

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, but when I am shopping at the shop right beside his llama it is on my screen...am I supposed to get and go somewhere else to shop or come back later...I should not and it effects my gaming ability. Not that it really matters to me, but a friend a few people I know are constantly complaining in vent or TS about them. I think that if he wants to do his church service too do it in his church and keep the llamas out of luna. I personally dont care what you do with your time and what you type in your house, but when your llamas are stationed all over luna spamming about Jesus and God it does effect my gameplay.

btw...shard is Sonoma.
How does that effect your game play? Just don't read it. If your friend wants to spam about devil worship oh well I don't have to read it.

Why is it people can sit at the bank and say horrible things and no one gets offended but anyone mentions God and all hell breaks loose.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the GMs decided to ban christianity from UO...

... it'd probably result in the most media attention the game has had in a long, long time... :laugh:

Frankly I think free speech is a good thing. People could start a Nazi party in UO and I wouldn't page. Granted, I wouldn't respect them, and I would probably try to organise something involving Felucca (I mean, come on, wouldn't you join an RP battle for your chance to bash Team Hitler?!), but there's no way I'd try to bring the GMs into it.

And don't start on the whole "but I find it offensive" line because UO has already been ruined enough due to censorship, thank you very much.

Incedently, has anyone tried the whole "ignore" thing yet? That by far seems the most simplistic solution to me.

@Black Majick:

Lemme get this straight. You wanna get someone suspended/banned for practising your own religion?

Keeping in mind there's no other way to get him to stop.

P

Pasquinade

All you do is put your llamas next to it and preach Devil Worship. Since they can do christian rants and raves you should be able to worship satin and tell everyone about it and have them join your Devil Worship Church]

How does one worship satin? Would silk become enraged and demand equal time? I prefer the Great Green Moo-Cow Goddess of Medium Salsa.
Sorry, just jumped out at me and I had to reply.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Holy Crap! There are a lot of folk watching this thread! Remember folks, it is a game.

I know police officers that role play bad guys. Little old ladies that role play vamps. Old worn out dish washers that role play at what ever it is they do...

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Otis, you are truly an evil man! I thought I had finally gotten over being basically accused of being the Anti-Christ for making a polite request, and here you drudge that up! *stared pointedly at Otis*

Oh, and the llamas were broadcasting yesterday on my one trip through Luna ... I was trying to figure out how to kill them, alas they were blue ...
muhaha lmao
no worries Ailish!, if they thought ya were the Anti-Christ then that would have made me the back up demon lol

S

Sebrina

Holy Crap! There are a lot of folk watching this thread! Remember folks, it is a game.

I know police officers that role play bad guys. Little old ladies that role play vamps. Old worn out dish washers that role play at what ever it is they do...
Are they keeping you busy tonight? - (woot) something started burning on the stove, forget about the dishes!

S

SwordBlaze

This is understandable. But I am highly de-sensitized to most things LOL Nothing bothers me, well some stuff does, mainly ignorance but I can ignore pretty damn well lol.

D

Dragonchilde

Just do the same thing I do every time someone starts spamming stupid **** in Luna, at EM events, whatever...

IGNORE.

It's text. don't read it.

R

Ravahan

How does that effect your game play? Just don't read it. If your friend wants to spam about devil worship oh well I don't have to read it.

Why is it people can sit at the bank and say horrible things and no one gets offended but anyone mentions God and all hell breaks loose.
I know a guy that got perma-banned because, at the end of a duel, he said "That guy totally ****d me".

We have a profanity filter to filter no-no words, but what if a Hindu mama doesn't like her 13 year old Hindu teen being influenced by evil meat eating Christians? Can't filter that out. If this guy were to follow people around Luna while they shopped and polytheize at them, your response would NOT be "recall away and come back later". It would be to page for harassment, and that's exactly what needs to be done. Problem is, you can't page on a ****ing llama.

I don't care if dude wants to preach in his house, or even if he wants to advertise a "church" service (which could be an appropriate use of the robo-llamas), but when he starts broadcasting the service itself across a large area I have a problem.

This, if not handled immediately, will likely start a rather large pissing contest with more outspoken members of other faiths which are tired of being trampled by the Christian majority.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know a guy that got perma-banned because, at the end of a duel, he said "That guy totally ****d me".

We have a profanity filter to filter no-no words, but what if a Hindu mama doesn't like her 13 year old Hindu teen being influenced by evil meat eating Christians? Can't filter that out. If this guy were to follow people around Luna while they shopped and polytheize at them, your response would NOT be "recall away and come back later". It would be to page for harassment, and that's exactly what needs to be done. Problem is, you can't page on a ****ing llama.

I don't care if dude wants to preach in his house, or even if he wants to advertise a "church" service (which could be an appropriate use of the robo-llamas), but when he starts broadcasting the service itself across a large area I have a problem.

This, if not handled immediately, will likely start a rather large pissing contest with more outspoken members of other faiths which are tired of being trampled by the Christian majority.
That's where your wrong I wouldn't tell them to page on them. I have had players say very horrible and vulgar things to me and I didn't page on them I just ignored them. It's writing I don't have to read it.

And if they follow me around then I would just leave. It's only a problem because it's christian. If any other religion was doing it no one would say a thing.

And that mother should be more worried about other horrible things said on the game that are far worse then christianity.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To quote the The Wiccan Rede (pronounced "reed"), a statement that provides the key moral system in the neopagan religion of Wicca, and other related witchcraft-based faiths. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiccan_Rede)

"An it harm none, do what ye will."

I am not a Wiccan, but I have to say I really dig this statement. On the flip side I feel ones faith should be private unless one is asked to share it. :scholar:

Just my 2 gp.

S

SwordBlaze

Wait.... you get banned for saying ****? All the years I played this game I never knew that. I mean i don't say **** in-game but..... what a dumb reason for a perma ban.... unless someone is harassing someone with it but in this case I'd like to smack whoever decided that perma-ban lol.

R

Ravahan

And if they follow me around then I would just leave. It's only a problem because it's christian. If any other religion was doing it no one would say a thing.
Let me preface this by begging the mods not to lock this thread, as it is relevant. I know its a touchy issue, but that's exactly why it should be discussed.

My point is exactly opposite. If I were to, say, go on a hour long Koran spiel, best believe I'd be paged on or that someone would be making a big stink. Never mind if I talk about any of the more "taboo" religions which are actually followed today such as LaVeyan Satanism, Wicca, Voodoo, or Heathanism (to which I personally mostly subscribe).

My bet is that, even if he were paged on, nothing would be done about it because Christianity is western society's pet religion.

You say its only a problem because its Christian? I say its only OK because its Christian. Show me an example of a monument on Government property representing a minority religion. If they exist, they're rare to the point I've never seen or heard of one, but we hear at least twice a year of a Christian one being erected or defended in some school, court house, or public park.

Show me an example of someone being threatened by police with physical harm in the united states because they wanted to organize a peaceful protest of a religion other than Christianity. I can site one the other way around.

I know some wonderful Christians, but only very few. Most have never even opened the bible. I don't fault you for not noticing these things, why would you? You're on the other side of the fence. You believe in the right invisible man.

S

siyeng0

Firstly, I see no problem with anybody following their religion in privacy, quietly and without dragging in people who want to keep real-life religion out of gameplay. Of course, in this situation, this guy's not doing that. He's being obnoxious about it and it should be stopped - this is encroaching upon the free will of others, it's not acknowledging their right to choose their own religion without being harrassed about it, and, well, it's breaking the immersion (which is hardly an issue in this case, but it's still an issue regardless.)

I am displeased about the posters in this thread claiming that the OP and his supporters hate Christians or wouldn't care if it was another religion preaching in public. I can only imagine that if these people - and I mean those who brush aside the OP's complaint with "You just hate Christianity!" - one day came across a llama full of communication crystals spamming, say, Islamic propaganda, they would be disgusted. Claims that Christians, of all groups, are unfairly persecuted always irritate me; I know as well as you do that you are only defending this behaviour because you think that because it's your religion, it's superior.

If the llama were spamming "Allahu akbaar," the Shema Yisra'el or even Hare Krishna chants, you would be the first to complain. And yes, I would support you as I'm supporting the OP now - and if I, say, started up a synagogue service in the bank, I would expect others to confront me about it and they would be well within their right to do so. Nobody of any faith has the right to enforce their preaching on others on common ground like an online game. You can say "They are just words," but the implications and ideas wrapped up in those words are what's important. To me, being proselytised at on UO is as bad as having to endure others' religious ranting in real life because while UO may not be real, the intentions of the ranters are exactly the same.

tl;dr: Kill the llamas.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait.... you get banned for saying ****? All the years I played this game I never knew that. I mean i don't say **** in-game but..... what a dumb reason for a perma ban.... unless someone is harassing someone with it but in this case I'd like to smack whoever decided that perma-ban lol.
I assume the guy who said that probably said other things or had many marks on his account to begin with. Or a lot of other things such as exploiting, etc.

That or it was just a right out lie saying that he was banned for that quoted statement.

R

Ravahan

I say again, the man should use the robo-llamas to advertise if anything, not to deliver his sermon. I would have no problem with that, and quite to the contrary would in fact would respect it.

R

Ravahan

I assume the guy who said that probably said other things or had many marks on his account to begin with. Or a lot of other things such as exploiting, etc.

That or it was just a right out lie saying that he was banned for that quoted statement.
He had one mark for UMing. Went to work and put a quarter on his SS macro in the guildhouse, Guildmaster paged on him.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Firstly, I see no problem with anybody following their religion in privacy, quietly and without dragging in people who want to keep real-life religion out of gameplay. Of course, in this situation, this guy's not doing that. He's being obnoxious about it and it should be stopped - this is encroaching upon the free will of others, it's not acknowledging their right to choose their own religion without being harrassed about it, and, well, it's breaking the immersion (which is hardly an issue in this case, but it's still an issue regardless.)
It has nothing to do with other people's free will (they're still free to do as they wish). Immersion? Maybe, but I can just imagine all the real role players face palming as they read that idea, while their characters stand forlornly at the bank listening to the 1337 speak...

In fact I imagine a role player's conversation with a preaching llama would likely be far more interesting then their conversations with most regular players...

I say again, the man should use the robo-llamas to advertise if anything, not to deliver his sermon. I would have no problem with that, and quite to the contrary would in fact would respect it.
Granted, the guy would probably gain quite a bit more respect for that, and hence more listeners.

I'm more worried that the devs will simply kill communication crystals so that no one can use them. That'd be quite a "victory".

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've roleplayed Galen as a Christian for years....Never did anything about it in-game, though, other than the macro for Dispel Evil (which is the e-mote *holds up a crucifix*). I have a Doom Paladin that I RP as a Muslim; when he casts Divine Fury he yells "GOD IS GREAT!!!"

I don't know....We have so much other offensive speech flying around in this game....Is it any worse to listen to Christian sermons than it is to listen to Cupid saying obscene things at the Luna Bank? Or to listen to an argument at the Luna Bank for 3 days straight between 2 Fellies about who owned whom and how?

I dunno; maybe it is!! I guess it could be if it's a fundamentalist enough sermon. To be insulted or offended is one thing; I'm used to it by now. But to be offended or insulted by someone who believes that he has Divine Power on his side 100% can, I suppose, be worse.

-Galen's player

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I am displeased about the posters in this thread claiming that the OP and his supporters hate Christians or wouldn't care if it was another religion preaching in public. I can only imagine that if these people - and I mean those who brush aside the OP's complaint with "You just hate Christianity!" - one day came across a llama full of communication crystals spamming, say, Islamic propaganda, they would be disgusted. Claims that Christians, of all groups, are unfairly persecuted always irritate me; I know as well as you do that you are only defending this behaviour because you think that because it's your religion, it's superior.

If the llama were spamming "Allahu akbaar," the Shema Yisra'el or even Hare Krishna chants, you would be the first to complain. And yes, I would support you as I'm supporting the OP now - and if I, say, started up a synagogue service in the bank, I would expect others to confront me about it and they would be well within their right to do so. Nobody of any faith has the right to enforce their preaching on others on common ground like an online game. You can say "They are just words," but the implications and ideas wrapped up in those words are what's important. To me, being proselytised at on UO is as bad as having to endure others' religious ranting in real life because while UO may not be real, the intentions of the ranters are exactly the same.

tl;dr: Kill the llamas.

If they want to spam other religions I say more power to them. It doesn't bother me. I know what I believe and just because someone else is saying what they believe doesn't mean I have to listen. I will just not read it. Problem solved.

People get way to offended now days. You have to watch every little thing you say now because someone might get offended by it.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But in honesty I don't need to be reminded in a game that I enjoy that I am going to hell for being gay. I get enough of that IRL
Dude! You're going to Hell for being gay!!!!!

-Galen's player

PS: Yes, in case it wasn't obvious, I am kidding. Just couldn't resist.

H

Hanna

Firstly, I see no problem with anybody following their religion in privacy, quietly and without dragging in people who want to keep real-life religion out of gameplay. Of course, in this situation, this guy's not doing that. He's being obnoxious about it and it should be stopped - this is encroaching upon the free will of others, it's not acknowledging their right to choose their own religion without being harrassed about it, and, well, it's breaking the immersion (which is hardly an issue in this case, but it's still an issue regardless.) ...
Actually I think it is you trying to impose your will on the rights of others. UO has every right to run their company in this manner. UO is in no way a government agency. Therefore they can choose what is allowed and what is not allowed in their game.

No matter what the guy preaches, it does absolutely no thing to your free will. If you don't agree with him, don't listen, ignore him, or preach to him what you believe. If your a satan worshipper, howerver, you probably shouldn't say anything if you want to keep playing this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.