• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Children and Online Gaming

WoWNews

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I found this article I felt it was very important that I share it with players of all ages and walks of life, as this could happen to anyone. As a parent of a child who plays online games, it is important to
safeguard our kids when they play. With any type of internet access we
must take precautions to keep our kids safe as the world becomes more
technological and information becomes easier to obtain.
With that in
mind we must all be careful of what information we give out to others,
this is imperative with children as they tend to divulge information
innocently without thought of the consequenses. Even though, Blizzard has parental controls, it is more to limit access and times that a child may play. This does not prevent online predators from targeting children even in the gaming world...
Please read the article from Wired by Kim Zetter:
Predator Met 16-Year-Old Victim Through World of Warcraft
"A 16-year-old autistic girl who was allegedly abducted last February by an adult male met the man online while playing World of Warcraft, according to a police affidavit filed in the case."

More...