• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Chesapeake PvP Information

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Now I do not spawn very much nor do I really PvP. One thing I do know is PvP is a vital part of the shard and its economy. I wanted to start a thread to see if any of our PvP people would share some information for new and returning players on Chesapeake.

-PvP templates
-Spawn Raid Templates
-Gimp Templates and how to counter them
-Spawning Templates
-Spawn Defense Tactics
-Must have gear
-Best PvP areas
-People willing to help train

All the little details that can help people reactivate Chesapeake PvP. So if anyone is willing to share information please post here.

Thank you,

D

Death Adder

An additional thing I'd like to know about the PvP status of the shard is the faction situation. Who is numerous/dominant, who has towns, who has few members, etc.

D

Death Adder

To get things rolling, I've been thinking about what I'd have to do against a 1) disarm/moving shot fencer/archer and 2) a chain-disarmer (both of which I consider to be "gimp" templates, but they're out there). I'm currently running a necro-archer template without protection, with a pretty bad connection so I can't really outrun people. I only have 55 dci on my suit, which means most times (while under the effect of HLD) I'll be hit around 58% and I can't parry anything. So these disarming templates have a real advantage against me as I'm not really well-equipped to handle disarm. Take my bows away and I don't have much else... a little necro but easily interrupted with no weapon defense. I also have stars/shuriken and GE potions, but those aren't going to help much when disarmed.

In any case, I realize that about my best option is to summon my 7x bake kitsune (after immediately turning invisible to buy time with one of my old school invis rings/earrings). I don't usually like to summon it in a 1v1 but against a disarmer it's about my only option. I consider it a gimp move but so is constant disarming.

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FY spawns and raids spawns. We have a variety of differnt red and bloo characters, to say which one is the one we use is impossible to say. We play what we want basically. We don't have a faction guild we have no real interest in it, it serves nothing to help our guild. The main uhm "competition" on chessy is oath. In an even team match I say Fy wins 9 out of 10 times. Oath is streaky at best, sometimes they either have a good caller or have only a few targets to hit and luck wins out when choosing. Most of the time it is pure numbers. From a pvper aspect it would be horrible for fights. From a pkers aspect its a gold mine. I shouldn't say all of oath is bad, but the majority are trammies who go to spawn. ACT is a new guild that has shown up all of a sudden. Mostly yew gate fighters, sometimes they do spawns. The only promising factor of this guild is that they play a lot of mages. Could end up having some good fights if they learn to play there mages, they are doing decently however. Uhm Foa shows up occassionally at like 4am to do despise. If anyone is on to fight they typically die. Foa has some good players but they rarely log onto chessy anymore, if they still play. Mostly gimps and not very good ones at that. uhoh is another guild that shows up sometimes, they are fun to fight and give good fights but i hardly see them anymore. I think for factions you have oath in com, foa is minax, i think uhoh is tb not sure tho, and there was an SL guild running around but idk what happened to that. Chessy pvp is boring typcially, the pking potential is decent but any large skilled battles are almost unknown.
for spawns i would say oath is pulling in a lot of 120s, fy gets a good bit, and im sure there are some others under the radar. TK0 claims to spawn but i honestly have never seen them out in t2a or in despise. But I can't check spawns 24/7 so its possible they get them in late night. Most anyone who is spawning will get raided by an fy if they are found. Oath is the typical, and i think we do a decent job disrupting there spawning.
the hot templates seem to be mystic mage, inscribe or 6x120; tamer gimps, as in dismount dread mare and/or some version with a greater dragon; and the archer with a double hit spell bow with pot chug and the mana pool to armor ignore 6 times in a row. As for counters well that you have to figure out on your own :D

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in response to the disarmer question, typically a constant disarmer has no parry, your template then has the potential to destroy him easily, forcing him to disarm non stop. In defense i suggest blood oath being disarmed you will take a good bit of damage, might as well let him take some of that, also strangle on top of that with a pain spike finisher may help. in an event your main offense, in this case archery, is taken away you must use your suppliment skills to assist. Necromancy is a support skill that offers 17 spells. Mindrot will slow his specialing down, cast a rev on him for a little extra damage, strangles, pain spikes to wear his stamina down so he doesn't swing as fast, withers for some damage. Now a good player will have counters to most of this threw potions and apples, but i think a blood oath spam is the counter to the disarm spammer. Make sure you have potions yourself, if the target should armor ignore you with a blood oath on your will take around 45 damage so i highly suggest having a few heals. As for how to stop his disarm you can't. Archers true weakness is disarm, so you must rely on your assist skills to either get your kill, get to your friends, or get away. I assume as well that you were interuppted a lot, unable to cast, so as you said protection scrolls, just make sure your penalty to phyical resist isn't too bad.

D

Death Adder

in response to the disarmer question, typically a constant disarmer has no parry, your template then has the potential to destroy him easily, forcing him to disarm non stop. In defense i suggest blood oath being disarmed you will take a good bit of damage, might as well let him take some of that, also strangle on top of that with a pain spike finisher may help. in an event your main offense, in this case archery, is taken away you must use your suppliment skills to assist. Necromancy is a support skill that offers 17 spells. Mindrot will slow his specialing down, cast a rev on him for a little extra damage, strangles, pain spikes to wear his stamina down so he doesn't swing as fast, withers for some damage. Now a good player will have counters to most of this threw potions and apples, but i think a blood oath spam is the counter to the disarm spammer. Make sure you have potions yourself, if the target should armor ignore you with a blood oath on your will take around 45 damage so i highly suggest having a few heals. As for how to stop his disarm you can't. Archers true weakness is disarm, so you must rely on your assist skills to either get your kill, get to your friends, or get away. I assume as well that you were interuppted a lot, unable to cast, so as you said protection scrolls, just make sure your penalty to phyical resist isn't too bad.
I only have 60 necro so I can't throw out Strangle or Wither, though I do like the Mind Rot idea. Blood Oath is a good one as long as they don't have Resist, but if they do it doesn't return much damage.

In any case, I'm not TOO worried -- I'll make a good faith effort to defeat them with self-honor and a bow or something (para would be good for keeping them from closing, and setting them up for something like a double shot from my Yumi), but I trained up and bonded my bake precisely for situations like this (and getting ganked).

V

Vortimer

If you only have 60 necro what other skills do you have?

Might be able to help you abit more.

D

Death Adder

If you only have 60 necro what other skills do you have?

Might be able to help you abit more.
I can (and often do) change up my template and equipment, but am currently running as follows:

120 Archery
120 Resist
100 Tactics
100 Spirit Speak
90 Healing (100 w/enhanced bandies)
69 Ninjitsu (95 w/jewels)
61 Anatomy
60 Necro

Suit:
Non-meddable (wood armor)
All-70's resists (but not corpse-proof, only 70 each in fire and poison)
45 HCI
55 DCI
100 DI (on suit)
10 SSI (on suit, 50 SSI total w/weapons)
50 Enhance Potions
+25 HP (150 HP total when potioned up)
+32 Stam (182 Stam total when potioned up)
+17 Int (63 total mana)
A little Str and Dex
6 Stam Regen
4 HP Regen
8 Mana Regen (returns .7 mana per second total in non-meddable armor)
33 LMC

H

HyperActif

Great thread. I've been trying to unravel the new skills for the last few days, still not sure I have a full understanding of what's changed, but came up with a couple of templates that I'd like some feedback on.

Archer (Red)
Archer, Fencing, Tactics, Anat, Heal Resist
Pretty much old school, but looks solid. Are SSI, DI, HCI and HLD still the preferred attributes?

Mystic Mage (Blue spawner)
Mysticism, Focus, Magery, Eval, Resist, Med
Not sure about the mysticism spells but look like they might have some raid utility. Would probably for a 2/6, 100 LRC, 40 MR resist suit (70s) -- does that sound right?

I won't be doing a lot of house fighting or stealth ganking, tho i might have to spec one of those out eventually. Mostly just spawn protection on the red and spawning on the blue.

Would love to hear some comments and maybe some insight into what to expect.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The perfect spawning (raiding/defending/working) template would have to be a mage with enough necro to wither, high enough SS to do adequate damage with it, and spellweaving (wildfire for pushing, WoD for working the champ and killing raiding superdrags).

IMO at least..

V

Vortimer

I can (and often do) change up my template and equipment, but am currently running as follows:

120 Archery
120 Resist
100 Tactics
100 Spirit Speak
90 Healing (100 w/enhanced bandies)
69 Ninjitsu (95 w/jewels)
61 Anatomy
60 Necro

Suit:
Non-meddable (wood armor)
All-70's resists (but not corpse-proof, only 70 each in fire and poison)
45 HCI
55 DCI
100 DI (on suit)
10 SSI (on suit, 50 SSI total w/weapons)
50 Enhance Potions
+25 HP (150 HP total when potioned up)
+32 Stam (182 Stam total when potioned up)
+17 Int (63 total mana)
A little Str and Dex
6 Stam Regen
4 HP Regen
8 Mana Regen (returns .7 mana per second total in non-meddable armor)
33 LMC
Your temp seems a little crowded too me... I personally would drop resist and carry trap boxes and apples and would cap out all my other skills but thats just me.

V

Vortimer

Great thread. I've been trying to unravel the new skills for the last few days, still not sure I have a full understanding of what's changed, but came up with a couple of templates that I'd like some feedback on.

Archer (Red)
Archer, Fencing, Tactics, Anat, Heal Resist
Pretty much old school, but looks solid. Are SSI, DI, HCI and HLD still the preferred attributes?

Mystic Mage (Blue spawner)
Mysticism, Focus, Magery, Eval, Resist, Med
Not sure about the mysticism spells but look like they might have some raid utility. Would probably for a 2/6, 100 LRC, 40 MR resist suit (70s) -- does that sound right?

I won't be doing a lot of house fighting or stealth ganking, tho i might have to spec one of those out eventually. Mostly just spawn protection on the red and spawning on the blue.

Would love to hear some comments and maybe some insight into what to expect.
Archer looks good... maybe consider swapping resist for ninja if you find yourself getting dismount ganked alot. Get 50 ep and some balanced bows and 70 dci(?) so your immune to hld.

For a spawner I would go with mysticism, spellweaving, magery, eval, focus, med and like 30ish necro so you can use wraith form to leach mana.
Hail storm/essence of wind everything in sight with a lvl 6 circle and you do pretty insane damage.

H

HyperActif

Off to research spellweaving.

Also, for what it's worth, it is damned nice to be back.

D

Death Adder

Your temp seems a little crowded too me... I personally would drop resist and carry trap boxes and apples and would cap out all my other skills but thats just me.
Yeah, Resist is a must for me. Always has been -- trap boxes won't protect against para-ganking and it's rarely used in 1v1, and mana vamp/20% statloss curses/30 point Pain Spikes/uber-long Necro curses are a giant pain, even with apples (which are finite in any case). Now I understand that it's even more important against Mystics.

I've run without Resist in the past and it's never been pretty (even while using Protection). It can work to a degree at first, but I tend to become pretty well known when I PvP and once word spreads that I don't have resist, people always go right to Mana Vamp/Para/Blood Oath and I have a VERY difficult time. ALL of my templates start with 120 Resist.

The template might look cramped but I'm pretty proud of how I managed to get all those skills on there. Healing/Anat is a huge favorite of mine, as I think characters with Healing are FAR more durable (not to mention heals on the run). Ninjitsu is a MUST because of all the Dismount-gankers out there, plus I love darts/shuriken (though they are pretty unreliable at 95 skill, they can still occasionally be a big help). Weapon and Tactics are obviously requirements. I already mentioned my feeling about Resist. And I love Necro because of the uber-powerful dark wolf/bake combo and because of Corpse-Skin -- my whole template idea is built around CS + 100% poison/fire weapons (I currently have 4: Composite with 100% poison, Balanced, 40 SSI, 44 Fireball and 24 HLD; a Heavy with exact same stats; a Yumi with 60% fire/40% poison damage, Balanced, 40 SSI, 50 Fireball and 8 energy resist; and a Bow with 30% physical/30% fire/40% poison damage, Balanced, 40 SSI, 50 Lightning and 48 Stam Leech). If you don't have a CS proof suit then I'll do around 23 damage with the Composite, 27 with Bow, 28 with the Yumi and 34 with the Heavy -- per shot. Throw in hit spell and specials (like Double Shot) and my damage levels can get insane.

It's a fun template to run and to RP (I love to RP my chars). A little weak against Disarm but that's where the Bake comes in. It has very few other weaknesses to exploit.

V

Vortimer

That sounds pretty sick man.

I remember fighting you on Death Adder a few years ago. Usually took a few to bring you down.... I think you had every single defensive ability out there. You were worth like 200k insurance or something. :)

Don't Tread on Me

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Carry apples? Why?
Apples (enchanted apples, they are blue) act basically like the chivalry spell "remove curse." The apples remove all negative curses and spells from you and also remove mortal strike.

You can make enchanted apples with the cooking skill by using g. heal pots and normal apples.

L

longshanks

Off to research spellweaving.

Also, for what it's worth, it is damned nice to be back.
what u will find with spellweaving is the need to obtain a level 6 focus. this means u need 4 others with spellweaving having a +/- 20 level from yours.

Level 6's are the shizzle and a group of level 6 weavers will wreck most spawns, as well as raiders.

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In response to the mystic spawner, i dont see how u can fit resist spells on the template. If you ask me any template without resist spell is a failure, especially as a mage. I know i mana vampire a lot, mostly due to mana issues but non the less if u have no resist expect to get mana vampired. 120 focus/120med gets your mana back fast but i will take it a lot making it much harder to cast the larger spells. The cleansing winds heal is incredible, so with that heal no resist is possible. But as a pure caster, I dont think no resist is a wise idea...perhaps if you have a weapon skill or a pet to help counter it could work.
For spellweaving, as most have said it sucks if you can't get a focus, even a level 4 focus is better then non. With a level 6 focus you will see spellweaving shine. Certain spells were nerfed awhile back making it not as nice for pvp, but the defensive aspects of spellweaving are hard to ignore. Assuming you have the lvl 6. Also spellweaving is sick for pvm, word of death works on most everything and with the level 6 you can start hitting huge damage around 1/4 life on the critter. I will say that a lot of the newer monster in the abyss are immune to the word of death. Spellweaving is not subject to slayers, so if you run it and want to hit the big damage, stack the sdi and cast arcane empowerment. I hit around around 680-690 wod with arcane empowerment, a lot of sdi and a lvl 6 focus.

D

Death Adder

Well, I started to do a little PvP and promptly encountered a fencer/archer who lived on Disarm (Bam Bam). This was VERY frustrating, as I could mount no offense at all and could barely stay alive, even being forced to run for my life (which was quite galling, let me tell you). I couldn't summon my bake kitsune because I'd already done so earlier in a gank and it was dead (I've already popped a bonded vollem which I'll be training up soon, so I have a pet backup). I considered Dismounting him but he had a backup ethe and with a dead pet there was no advantage in going to the ground.

So I'm doing the only thing I can think of to counter this tactic -- template change. Looking at Ninjitsu, I think I can lose it -- the darts/stars were quite unreliable for DP, and I can actually handle being Dismounted fairly well (given my invis items and the fact that I ride a Hellsteed in PvP). So I'm going to drop my 95 Ninjitsu (and 10 points from my 100 Tactics) to pick up 105 Wrestle. This way I will not be defenseless when Disarmed, and can even Disarm back, to set them up for a couple of bow shots once I can rearm.

My biggest losses will be the extra 5 mana I'll need for specials, and the loss of my rather impressive Yumi. But I just imbued a sick 100% poison x-bow that I can use instead.

Training now...

H

HyperActif

Seems to be quite a few archer/tamers on the field. Dismount + all kill, is pretty painful. I've been running on a mage with wrestle/parry and survivability is not too bad, but damage output is woeful.

What's the story with Bushido -- I've got it on a soulstone, any pvp love there?

H

Helter Skelter

I don't see Focus on a lot of these templates. Worthless?

I am looking to buy an advanced character ninja and work on a pvp template with that. Any suggestions? I was thinking that with a resist and some Chiv.

L

longshanks

Seems to be quite a few archer/tamers on the field. Dismount + all kill, is pretty painful. I've been running on a mage with wrestle/parry and survivability is not too bad, but damage output is woeful.

What's the story with Bushido -- I've got it on a soulstone, any pvp love there?
Bushido is quite effective in pvp especially since imbuing allows you to make a sick bokuto.

advantages with bushido include

Nerve strike (with bokuto) that deals damage and paralyzes ur target
Confidence for healing
Evasion for evading caster spells at u
Lightning strike. increases ur hit chance

These are the 4 main advantages.

U should not run a shield with busido as it effects ur parry.

I have found that bushido can be a good counter to the dreadmare as u can evade thru the pets mana dump, allowing u to concentrate on the on foot tamer whatever.

I'm not comfortable running ninjitsu so there are better people than me that can opine on that.