• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Character Suggestions

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So, one of the main reasons I'd never given much thought to creating a long term Siege character is the fact that I'd already had a house on Lake Superior. Housing to me is an important part of the game, since living out of a bank box is very limiting. Since coming back to the game, I have read that we can have a house on Siege, while still keeping a production shard house, with no issues. Given that, I've decided to give Siege a shot.

Here's where I need help. I have absolutely no idea what template I should create that would allow me to thrive in the game. I'm not opposed to gathering, so I'd like to either have lumberjacking or mining in the template, both if feasible. Apart from that, I'm interesting in hearing from you as to what template I can run to be productive while maintaining some sense of survivability.

Any thoughts?

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These days, you can make a pure crafter/gatherer and freely walk the shard and rarely be accosted. Totally not kidding.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
These days, you can make a pure crafter/gatherer and freely walk the shard and rarely be accosted. Totally not kidding.
I probably should have stated that I wanted a character that was viable to do more than just gathering. Crafting left to itself can get downright boring if nobody is around to buy what you have to sell. I'd like to be able to go and fight as well.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe the most versatile would be a mystic archer? Folks use those for spawns, VvV, peerless, etc.

Mister Sinister

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I would suggest making a Sampire type character. This will allow you to fight the bigger monsters alone if nobody is around and most importantly you should be able to do spawns which are always a great source of income. While it isn't always easy to find buyers for your 120s the spawn drops a decent ammount of gold and also the mastery primers. lvl 3 primers usually sell quite well. Now from the Sampire you can expand by using soulstones. I have crafting skills on soulstones so I can provide myself with armor and weapons just in case that I can't find anybody to make whatever I need. Soulstones can either be bought from the EA shop or sometimes players will sell the tokens for gold, so you could finance your soulstones with your sampire... at the very least I recommend haveing Imbuing on a soulstone. It sucks having to look for an imbuer to craft your weapons and suit...

The template I use the most is this:
120 fencing
120 archery/parry (depending on what I fight)
120 bushido
100 tactics
100 anatomy/resist (depending on what I fight)
100 necro
60 chiv

I usually run very primitive imbued studded suits with one or two looted armor piece for extra resists (usually the headslot). I put 7 lmc, 7 stamina, 7 mana on each pieces. with the remaining 2 imbuing slots I either bump resists or add hp or mr. Thus I usually run an all 70s, 50% lmc suit with about 180 stam and 60-100 mana (depending on whether I'm an Elf and what mastery is active). The jewellery I use is also without any special ingredients. So HCI, DCI, DMG etc aren't maxxed out but I haven't had problems soloing stuff with that set up yet. I use imbued Kamas (super slayer, hit area, stam leech, mana leech) for whirlwind (Spawns!) and imbued Composite Bows for the bosses...the weapons are really the only thing with maxxed out mods. I bless the most valuable one with the 1 Siege bless we get. Loosing a suit like that means you loose about 500k, but 500k really is nothing...what's more annoying is the time you have to put into making a new suit :-D

Hope this helps and welcome to Siege!

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sinister has a great suggestion. I didnt say sampire b/c the gear can be a bit restricted here. But you CAN put a suit together. Whatever you do, dont build a thief. We are so thick with them you cant take step without tripping over one.... :)

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sinister has a great suggestion. I didnt say sampire b/c the gear can be a bit restricted here. But you CAN put a suit together. Whatever you do, dont build a thief. We are so thick with them you cant take step without tripping over one.... :)
I had briefly contemplated making a thief, since I've never actually built one up before. However, with only one character on the server, I'd rather try and stick to a less restrictive character type. The sampire is a good option. I was also thinking of a tamer or a bard. I was also contemplating creating an axer, but I'm not sure. Is magery the go-to skill for getting around?

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You can only gate travel. No recall, no sacred journey. There are several public portals and tiles used to move around the shard. My dexxer does not have Magery, just runs everywhere. Taming is always good, and easier to raise here than anywhere, at least before the primers.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
For some reason, Corwyn, I thought I might see you on these forums soon. Is your wife coming over with you? You are either gonna fall in love with Siege or you won't. Shout out in gen chat. I hope ta see ya around.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Vic... you sly devil.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Corwyn, just pick whatever character type you enjoy, or try one you always wanted to try. Have some fun and be sure to shout out in general chat. Most of us will help.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, one of the main reasons I'd never given much thought to creating a long term Siege character is the fact that I'd already had a house on Lake Superior. Housing to me is an important part of the game, since living out of a bank box is very limiting. Since coming back to the game, I have read that we can have a house on Siege, while still keeping a production shard house, with no issues. Given that, I've decided to give Siege a shot.

Here's where I need help. I have absolutely no idea what template I should create that would allow me to thrive in the game. I'm not opposed to gathering, so I'd like to either have lumberjacking or mining in the template, both if feasible. Apart from that, I'm interesting in hearing from you as to what template I can run to be productive while maintaining some sense of survivability.

Any thoughts?
Really anything that works on a regular shard works here. Pick up imbuing, and you should be set for whatever strikes your fancy.

If by survivability you mean from people, I really wouldn't worry about it. Outside of hiding/stealth, running is probably your best defense. If you aren't prepared and have a template designed around pvp, then running or hiding are really your only options, anyway. If you are thinking of being a gatherer, I wouldn't worry about it at all. No pks roam the wild anymore, or really anywhere outside of champ spawns with any regularity.

You can do a pretty low rent pvm template with taming. Taming, Lore at 120 (with or without skill jewels) Vet 100, then whatever else you feel like.

So you could do:

100 Tame
100 Lore
100 Vet
100 LJ
100 Mining
100 whatever. Magery for heals and getting around, some crafting skill, imbuing... 120 Imbuing would be my recommendation unless you want to live on the loot of the land, which can be fun.
Rest in whatever support skills works will less than 100 points. I'd recommend something like 40 tinkering, just so you could make yourself shovels.

To start out, tame a Boura for protection from monsters (very capable pet with nearly no taming req) or a pack of grizzlies if you are feeling frisky, while you work skills, get a blue and a fire beetle for your tasks, then work toward getting whatever skills you want to max to 120, and getting whatever pets for later pvming. You can pick up +15 PS fairly cheap and should be able to afford a small house in very short order. Should be able to do plenty with this setup. :)

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had briefly contemplated making a thief, since I've never actually built one up before. However, with only one character on the server, I'd rather try and stick to a less restrictive character type. The sampire is a good option. I was also thinking of a tamer or a bard. I was also contemplating creating an axer, but I'm not sure. Is magery the go-to skill for getting around?
I would advise against a thief. It's a fun template to play... but only if there are marks. You'll have a hard time finding any.

Sampire is always a good option, or Paladin Vampire as I play, but warriors do sort of require imbuing, so you would need to invest in at least 2 soul stones. As for getting around, you don't really NEED to invest skill points to do so. There are plenty of crystal portals, and public teleporter hubs (outside of south umbra and in NM most prominently) so once you get the routes down you can get to where you need to go with little effort. I haven't had magery for ages, and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Place a house near the water, there are plenty of waterfront spots. Put a boat in the water and you can gate to the boat without magery. It will make it eaiser to get home. I do it all the time.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For some reason, Corwyn, I thought I might see you on these forums soon. Is your wife coming over with you? You are either gonna fall in love with Siege or you won't. Shout out in gen chat. I hope ta see ya around.
I can't believe I missed this post. I'm not sure if my wife will come over. Only time will tell. I'm still up in the air about my template, but I have some sort of an idea. I'm considering trying to put together an axer paladin. We'll see how it goes. I'll be trying to get started on Saturday with any luck.

If my wife does come here, I'm going to try and convince her that she needs to have imbuing on her template, since I have a feeling my template will be full, and soulstones will be difficult to come by. This is unless I can talk my wife into letting me start a second account.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
well... If she does not choose to play Siege you could always "borrow" her account for a second Siege character. Just saying...

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I set up a gatherer/artisan pair of characters and can be on about any time of day to craft stuff, send me a PM. Crafters are about looking for things to do on Siege.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I set up a gatherer/artisan pair of characters and can be on about any time of day to craft stuff, send me a PM. Crafters are about looking for things to do on Siege.
I'd thought about that as well. Maybe I should play this character and actually rely on others to do what I can't... like the game probably should be played.

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
axer paladin with only one blessed item, not easy to replace all those pretty things that got you to 4/6 casting.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
axer paladin with only one blessed item, not easy to replace all those pretty things that got you to 4/6 casting.
Arent pallys only running 4/6 at the moment because of that currently overpowered holy fist mastery spell that will be "fixed" soon?

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you run a pally you should always run 4/6 casting the heals are super fast, and the holy lights wont get interrupted cause you are casting it so fast.
and of course that over powered holy fisting

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I understand I might regret my decision to go with the axer paladin. However, I do prefer toe-to-toe combat over magery. So if I have to worry about losing stuff, then I have to worry.

Siege isn't supposed to be easy, from what I understand.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Some items are harder to get than others. If you want to play a char, that need 4/6 casting, you will need a crafter/friend, who will help with imbuing and you will need gold for the resources or get them yourself. It will make your suit more expensive and harder to replace lost items

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well... I changed my mind on my template, since I've gone ahead and bought the High Seas expansion. I'm going to be working on a chiv archer fisher. We'll see how that goes.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Having fun is the only requirement.

Also remember a soulstone costs about as much as a couple or three cups of coffee.

Chiv archer is a pretty decent all around template.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
main reason I do not enjoy siege is the one char limit, u make crafter, hard to fight. u make fighter/mage, cant craft. gl

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
main reason I do not enjoy siege is the one char limit, u make crafter, hard to fight. u make fighter/mage, cant craft. gl
get in touch with other people. need a crafter? find someone to craft what you need or get soulstones and put crafting skills on them. the only crafting skill I would recommend for everyone is imbuing since suits and weapons tend to be very specialized so it's easier to imbue stuff yourself. but basic weapons and armor can be bought from crafters easily. just ask in general chat if you can't find anything on vendor search. it's really not that hard...

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reading this post with joy. I am on Siege now for about 5 weeks and learned that there is a mature and helpful community and a good deal of shopping occasions. Infrastructure is well, too. My start without a single penny was easy and fun. Mr Sinister, Freja, Kelmo, MalagAste and Victim answered alot of questions and helped me out.

I got a Mystic-Mage-Stealther which is a template I can recommend very much as you only need LRC on your suit and let the Colossus do the dirty work. You can join almost any fight and flee if you want to. And you can travel via the gate-spell and put imbuing on the char. However, I made a pure crafter, too. I love crafting.

Yesterday I built a house in Safe Haven. Still need tons of deco. It was hard to chose a location for the house as there are plenty of nice spots. Btw: Can I make the house public in Safe Haven or is it risky?

Back to OP: Chiv-Archer is fun, but I would always prefer a spellcaster. I hate taking care for my arrows and weapons. But if I had a third account I would try a thrower

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yesterday I built a house in Safe Haven. Still need tons of deco. It was hard to chose a location for the house as there are plenty of nice spots. Btw: Can I make the house public in Safe Haven or is it risky?
Get a few cats or other stuff, that make noice if someone entre, then you don't risk a someone sneack in without you hear it.
And make a macro, remove yourself as I ban you won't work if someone attack you in house as they are auto banned, but first get kicked when they move.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My personal favorite is 60 Mage (Enough Jewels to Gate) ,120 Necro, 100 SS, 100 Focus, 120 Tame, 120 Lore, 100 Vet. If hunting some things I stone Necro and SS and put on Hide and Stealth. Some things its better to hide under the pet and vet it as needed. Even a junky GD can chew up everything I hunt like sheep, lizerd men, mongbats and good at zapping those pesky wisp.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
My favorite open house tactic is a leave house hot button. They can run around my house all they want. I have a get away plan.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Update: After much deliberation and a couple of character wipes, I've finally decided on creating a carpenter (interior decorator more or less). The template will be super tight, and I'll be a sitting duck if I'm attacked, but I'll manage template-wise and I suck so bad at PvP, I'm a sitting duck regardless.

I've always been a crafter at heart, and I can't bring myself to not have one on a shard. So I guess you'll be seeing Corwyn around on Siege as well.

If you're interested in the template, it'll look something like this:

100 Mining
100 LJ
100 Carpentry
100 Tinkering
80 Smithing
80 Tailoring
80 Magery (Some might come from jewelry to allow for more imbuing perhaps, or smithing, or tailoring.... I've got time to figure it out still)
80 Imbuing
45 Musicianship (all gained through jewelry)

This will allow me to create I believe all of the things carpentry can create. Unless I'm missing something.

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i STRONGLY suggest that you take soulstones into account unless you just want to be 100% pure Carpenter.

If you ever want to do more, you will need to get tailor and blacksmith to 120, and i cant stress this enough, you MUST have Arms Lore.

Just as a tip, my main crafter is:

120 Tailor
120 Blacksmith
120 Imbuing (eh, "soon" working on it)
100 arms lore
80 magery
100 tinkering
100 fletching
100 carpentry

And i have two soulstones ( one empty which you use to dump a skill on when you switch, and one with one of the spare skills on )

Then on another toon i have inscription and alchemy.

So, i need to get ANOTHER soulstone so i can get music into the mix to craft instruments...

But im sure you start to see the problem here? Not unique to siege thought. :)

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i STRONGLY suggest that you take soulstones into account unless you just want to be 100% pure Carpenter.

If you ever want to do more, you will need to get tailor and blacksmith to 120, and i cant stress this enough, you MUST have Arms Lore.

Just as a tip, my main crafter is:

120 Tailor
120 Blacksmith
120 Imbuing (eh, "soon" working on it)
100 arms lore
80 magery
100 tinkering
100 fletching
100 carpentry

And i have two soulstones ( one empty which you use to dump a skill on when you switch, and one with one of the spare skills on )

Then on another toon i have inscription and alchemy.

So, i need to get ANOTHER soulstone so i can get music into the mix to craft instruments...

But im sure you start to see the problem here? Not unique to siege thought. :)
The whole point of my template was to be a pure carpenter. Am I limited in income... obviously. However, I have lumberjacking and mining, so I can supplement my income with resource gathering. My template has every skill needed to create anything I want... carpentry-wise. I won't be tailoring... or smithing. Those skills will be raised just so I can create the few carpenter items that require those skills. Same with imbuing (which I understand is a strange way to spend 80 skill points, since I believe I only need that skill to create a soul forge. I will be limiting myself to create house items pretty much. And resource gathering. That'll be about it.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Update: After much deliberation and a couple of character wipes, I've finally decided on creating a carpenter (interior decorator more or less). The template will be super tight, and I'll be a sitting duck if I'm attacked, but I'll manage template-wise and I suck so bad at PvP, I'm a sitting duck regardless.

I've always been a crafter at heart, and I can't bring myself to not have one on a shard. So I guess you'll be seeing Corwyn around on Siege as well.

If you're interested in the template, it'll look something like this:

100 Mining
100 LJ
100 Carpentry
100 Tinkering
80 Smithing
80 Tailoring
80 Magery (Some might come from jewelry to allow for more imbuing perhaps, or smithing, or tailoring.... I've got time to figure it out still)
80 Imbuing

This will allow me to create I believe all of the things carpentry can create. Unless I'm missing something.
i would drop the 45 music and get a +20 ring/brace and a singing axe for the making of instruments. use that 45 points in something else.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i would drop the 45 music and get a +20 ring/brace and a singing axe for the making of instruments. use that 45 points in something else.
I had stated in that post that musicianship would all be coming from items/jewelry of some kind. If you add everything else on the template up, it comes to 720.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would love to see a carpenter around. You need to make me some trophies

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The whole point of my template was to be a pure carpenter. Am I limited in income... obviously. However, I have lumberjacking and mining, so I can supplement my income with resource gathering. My template has every skill needed to create anything I want... carpentry-wise. I won't be tailoring... or smithing. Those skills will be raised just so I can create the few carpenter items that require those skills. Same with imbuing (which I understand is a strange way to spend 80 skill points, since I believe I only need that skill to create a soul forge. I will be limiting myself to create house items pretty much. And resource gathering. That'll be about it.
Fair enough!

Then my last suggestion would be to get 120 Imbuing, which is probably one of the best crafting skills at the moment, which would let you do more with your stuff. If your goal is to be self sufficient, you dont need 100 mining and you dont need 100 tinkering, drop those to 80 would allow you to go 120 Imbuing.

Either way, good luck! Glad to see another crafter :)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
100 Mining
100 LJ
100 Carpentry
100 Tinkering
80 Smithing
80 Tailoring
80 Imbuing

It's a good start and we sure need more furnitures on the vendors.
As defence vs Dark Wisps, you may want to make yourself a nice 5x70 LRC suit so when you get a few reward choices, I would choose few soulstones.
You also need to make new Jewelry if you lose the ones you have. You may want magery and music on them

4 soulstones
120 Tailor
120 Blacksmith
120 Imbuing (on stone, when not used)
100 Arms Lore (on stone when not used)
80 Magery
100 Mining (on stone when not used)
100 LJ
100 Tinkering
100 Fletching
100 Carpentry

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you! I knew you would offer this. You are so kind! I call you ingame.