• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Swordsmanship] Character Help....

S

Salty Pete

So I have a Necro/Swordsman. This character is a PvM machine, able to tank high numbers of mobs with no issues. Unfortunately, this character is a major liability in PvP. The same things that make this character a PvM killing machine are the major weaknesses in PvP.... Is there a way to convert this character into something a lot more balanced? I still would really like to be able to engage in high end PvM with the character, but I don't want to be a complete liablility in PvP.

Template is this right now:

110 Swords
110 Parry
110 Bushido
110 Resist
110 Tactics
99 Necro
66 Chiv

Character has these stats:

Suit is all 70s while in vamp form with 30+ DCI 20+ HCI 6 MR

Issues I am having: Can't afford high end arties or scrolls. I will most likely be able to bump primary skills up to 115 soon (assuming I can raise some gold through item sales). Other than that, are there some simple changes I can make that will move this character more towards a better balance?

C

Connor_Graham

Getting your Dex up to 150 would be the first thing I'd try to do. At the level you're at now, it only takes a few hits to knock your Stam completely down so you can't swing at all. Other than that I'll let the PvP'rs give you more tips.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with Connor, first thing is increase dex. Not sure how much LMC your suit has but the DCI and HCI are decent. The max that counts in PVP for both is 45. The next item is the perfect weapon...good luck on that one, for some people that is the holy grail of UO. Since you don't have healing, a one handed weapon will be good so you can chug pots without disarming.

Depending on what guild your in there is always a chance of getting the scrolls you need to finish your char. I would go for the 120 swords first then bushido and parry.

S

Salty Pete

I agree with Connor, first thing is increase dex. Not sure how much LMC your suit has but the DCI and HCI are decent. The max that counts in PVP for both is 45. The next item is the perfect weapon...good luck on that one, for some people that is the holy grail of UO. Since you don't have healing, a one handed weapon will be good so you can chug pots without disarming.

Depending on what guild your in there is always a chance of getting the scrolls you need to finish your char. I would go for the 120 swords first then bushido and parry.
The major issue I have been having seems to be doing enough damage. In PvM the character relies heavily on slayer weapons and EoO for damage AND healing (through vamp form and HLL on weapons). I have a good collection of weapons I am at the speed cap on....

I am really just wondering if a change to a more traditional warrior from the vampire might work. Or, moving completely away from chiv and taking a SS/Necro approach?

I really just do not want to ruin the character for high end PvM.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you just nailed the problem. In order to get better in one your going to hurt the other. Since you have no anat, your giving up some damage increase there. If you give up chiv for SS, then your giving up EOO and Concencrate Weap for PVM, remove curse, cleanse by fire, close wounds, and divine fury for PVP. Some of those for PVP you can offset by pots, apples, and if your in factions then the faction bandies, but if you die alot that can get expensive fast. On the other hand, by adding SS, you will be a little more effective casting necro spells (strangle, blood oathe, evil omen) and at 66 SS you will be able to heal some by casting it, but you will probably fail a bit as well. SS probably won't help you as much as chiv will in PVM. Then again if your going up against someone that has high resist spell or using apples, pots and faction bandies then pretty much everything you cast at them will get removed fairly quickly. If you have soulstones, you could always switch skills around so that its PVP one day and PVM the next.

If you don't mind, what is your char name. If your on Sonoma, there is probably a pretty good chance that I've either fought with or against you, and maybe I can let you know a few general things that your doing right and/or wrong.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are wanting to leave the template as is, I would go with what Kellgory said. Basically if you cannot land enough damage on your hits, you would need to drop chivalry and use items in place of that and then incorporate spirit speak into your repertoire in order to be more effective.

Pretty much you will want more spell damage output in order to chain some spells along with your regular attacks and weapon specials.

The best alternative really is that you have soul stones and swap out the more PvM skills and tailor a more PvP approach.

In the event that you were able to do that, I would keep chivalry and adjust your other skills. With that ADJUSTED necro warrior setup...no mage should be able to beat you.

Additionally forgot to add some information, I see that you are at 110 parry and 110 swords.

I understand if you don't want to hassle with your template as far as the PvM area. But with soulstones and soul frags, I HIGHLY recommend at least 115 parry and 115 swords. I understand too gold being an issue because that aside, I really would recommend 120 in both areas.

You won't stand much of a chance against dexxers who would be running 120 in both areas. Main reason being the weapon skill check calculation in order to calculate chance to hit and then the calculation for defending against a hit.