• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Change to GD?

• Thread starter Smokes To Much
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
S

Smokes To Much

I've recently returned and am trying to find myself a good GD. Well after a couple weeks I find myself wondering if some change was made over the years making a good GD very hard to come by.....let me explain.

Several friends have supremely awesome GD's. Over 650 in str and int. a min of 80/85/55/55/70 in resists and most skills over 120. I've found nothing even remotely close to this and trust me I have spent the last few weeks, sometimes up to 8 hours a day killing GDs.

When I ask my friends when they got their GD's the answer is always "right after they were added to the game". This got me wondering if like alot of things UO, when the GD's were first added, were they all uberific and were later for whatever reason changed to be weaker or the odds of a good one spawning made very rare?

I guess I'm just getting frustrated after spending so much time trying to find one even close to the ones I'm seeing and then my friends also say that they got their GD's within an hour of their first attempt, making me further think that when the GD's were first added they were alot better than they are currently.

Thanks,

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When they first came out, there were more people hunting for a good one so new ones spawns. It takes time to get GD with the stats you mentioned even back when they were initially introduced.

There are plenty of decent GD for sale and people selling them spend the time to scout and find them. Even when they first came out, it took days to find a really good one. Your friends are all either really lucky or they are blurry about the time it took. The stats you mentioned on a GD would put them at least at 4.3+ rating wise and you do not find them on a regular basis no matter what.

I can tell you that the ones I am using now each took weeks of scouting. I gave up on the idea of getting the right one to spawn, so I just scouted fel and tram locations (Destard, wind, daemon temple) after server up. It is all about luck of the draw, GS has so many stats that has a wide range and that is the main reason why finding one is really hard. (Just finding one close to the resist you mentioned is not an easy task)

S

Smokes To Much

Ok thanks, I'll keep trying. It was just a case of all the trash ones I am seeing I was starting to wonder if it was an impossible task.

I do the scouting thing in Fel, Tram and Illenshar as well (pretty much anywhere GD's spawn I check multiple times a day). Do the monsters respawn after a certain amount of time passes or only after server up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best bet is probably to tame the best you can find on your first day, then use it to work the spawn while you look for a better one. Or just bond a more average one so you have something to use and do scouting trips for a better one more casually.

Personally I'm not really into getting the max stats on a pet, great if I find them quickly, but I'm not going to sit at a spawn for any length of time just to get something a few points better than what I have. For me the fun taming is killing spawns and having fun with pets, not spending months looking for a perfect pet before I start lol. It makes killing stuff more challenging for me at times, but I'm all for that anyway :D

I think the best way of working a spawn is just to kill it really, if you have disco then you'll manage to pull one down pretty quick even with a fresh unbonded GD. I tend to tame in Fire temple though, move the spawn over so just 1 GD is there and then go on a killing spree! Then when I got something I wanted, I led my throwaway draggy out the temple to somewhere quiet with the wild drag behind us, then beat the dragon down with my suicide one and let it die before I started taming the wild one.

Wenchy

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was going to say... I tamed mine first few days they were out and it only rates a 3.9 lol!

S

Smokes To Much

The best bet is probably to tame the best you can find on your first day, then use it to work the spawn while you look for a better one.
Yeah that's pretty much what I've been doing. It hasn't been a total lose. In the time I've been looking for an awesome GD I've done a few other things.

1. Went from absolutely 0 Honor to Knight on that char.
2. The 1 GD I had from before I quit, that was only partially trained, I trained it all the way up.
3. An average GD I tamed on my first trip is also now fully trained up.
4. I had a little over 100k in my bankbox. I've looted the gold off the GD corpses and now sit at over 2 mil. This also tells you how many GD's I've killed in the past few weeks. Let's just say each GD has 2k on them (actually less). 2 mil/2k = 1000 GD's killed!!!!

Also got my first 4.2 today!!!

krilov

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well dude it's all about luck for almost a good 80%
But farming them (that's the 20% left) is deffo what u have to do for finding a keeper.I would say....u can see it just like % of drop in doom ^_^ U can drop at the 1st run or being there for years without getting a single arti.
That's why i suggest you to farm them with a gg gun template that let u kill gd fast as hell. I usually farm in desd or in desd _ fell since the spawn if a lot faster.Even if, going all around checking all spwns slots and spending there few time would be wise too.
Btw, the funny is...even if the GDs spwan slowly and in less n° than pets like Runes...finding a gg rune...is fking harder. Dunno why -maybe it's just me ..but LOL i've spent @tokuno about 4x the time i spent for the Gds and yet i 've to find a keeper rune; while i got (not jking) 4x GDs all rated 4.5+

Just luck dude...but hell, help yourself and farm!

p.s. for many it may be boring as hell but tbh i like farming them and when the keeper pops up..u feel like when u ***.

Last edited: