• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Catskills PvP Thread, please...

C

CatLord

Can we have it back?

I promise not to post anything related to shard politics.

*crosses his fingers behind his back*

Now seriously... that thread should cover pvp pictures, smack talk and whatever people want to post... we'll post the political details somewhere else.

:grouphug:

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are the random pvp threads that have been popping up as of late not cutting it?

Podolak and I talked about bringing it back just recently actually, here was my reply to him:
I've been thinking maybe that thread was one of the main reasons for the problems we were having. By forcing everyone into that one thread we were kind of locking all the hostiles together in one place, someone was bound to get beaten up on.

I've noticed that since they've started putting up their own threads there's a little less conflict. Might be easier to keep a handle on trolls with everyone making their own mini smack talk threads too. Its pretty obvious who's trolling who when someone totally uninvolved in a thread goes into it and starts running off at the mouth.

Besides, I kinda like the look of random threads popping up everywhere, makes the shard look busier.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are the random pvp threads that have been popping up as of late not cutting it?

Podolak and I talked about bringing it back just recently actually, here was my reply to him:

I actually like the multiple threads too. I guess it doesn't matter though. I think these boards actually HAVE been getting busier. I also like the fact that there is much more to read. I did hate the long load times of the old thread and cycling through it. I think the new threads have been refreshing, but it's up to ya'll I guess.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
/signed!!!

Give us our pvp thread!! I need something to read at work!!

:drama: :please:

Just ban the people who don't learn their lesson from infractions, or cry about them. The actions of a handful shouldn't ruin it for everyone else.. I'll behave on the politics as well... Got the people ignored that I needed to ignore so I'm all set!! *points to halo*

Pweaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I'll sign the petition if the politics are left at the door.

They Call Me Al

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just a question.. arent shard politics part of pvp?? who is going behind who'se back and so on and so forth?

SupSoc

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it possible to have a non moderated PvP talk thread - FOR catskills only. Which means it would stay under the Catskills shard?

The reason being, is because There are 500 different PvP new threads daily..over the same crap. Just keep it in one place!

And, I'm willing to do any brokering duels as needed.

So I sign up.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you sure there are 500, and not one or two?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Off Topic - No Holds Barred.
Its the forum equivalent of Fel around '98.

C

CatLord

Thanks...

Well it seems you found the best solution to our problem.

Good job.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
#1 I wont post in the OT-NHB forum so if you want to get rid of me that's the way to do it. Those people are disgusting.

#2 Let's just raid their little roleplay thread every day with our PvP talk. It can be the daily roleplay/pvp thread.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think any thread can be a pvp thread. We still got threads on our front page from 2-3 days ago. It's not like our forums are being spammed with pvp non-sense.

Any thread can be a pvp thread as long as we keep it reasonable. Why would we want to limit ourselves to just one thread? It is more difficult to actually have a conversation in the pvp thread as it seems mostly just random smack talk occurs, and sometimes you get eight people bashing eight different people. Then someone crosses the line, some posts gets deleted and all of the sudden it doesn't make sense anymore. I kind of like being able to post a new thread once in a while.

Havn't these boards been busy as of late? That is good no?

Just my opinion. I just don't see why all the hype is needed for a pvp thread when as adults we can just make a thread. I can, however see several reasons for posting for ourselves.

Anyone care to explain exactly WHY the pvp thread would be a better idea?

It's not like we can't talk about pvp without it.

My fear is that if we go with the PvP thread again, then that will become the ONLY thread to talk about such things.

Now if we had 50 people posting pvp threads a day, it would be a little different, but I have only noticed one or two.

Before I jump on the bandwagon, I want to hear some actual reasons.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think any thread can be a pvp thread. We still got threads on our front page from 2-3 days ago. It's not like our forums are being spammed with pvp non-sense.

Any thread can be a pvp thread as long as we keep it reasonable. Why would we want to limit ourselves to just one thread? It is more difficult to actually have a conversation in the pvp thread as it seems mostly just random smack talk occurs, and sometimes you get eight people bashing eight different people. Then someone crosses the line, some posts gets deleted and all of the sudden it doesn't make sense anymore. I kind of like being able to post a new thread once in a while.

Havn't these boards been busy as of late? That is good no?

Just my opinion. I just don't see why all the hype is needed for a pvp thread when as adults we can just make a thread. I can, however see several reasons for posting for ourselves.

Anyone care to explain exactly WHY the pvp thread would be a better idea?

It's not like we can't talk about pvp without it.

My fear is that if we go with the PvP thread again, then that will become the ONLY thread to talk about such things.

Now if we had 50 people posting pvp threads a day, it would be a little different, but I have only noticed one or two.
Well put :thumbup:

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In case it's missed from the other thread, I think this fits here too.

Firstly; instead of closing the whole thread; why aren't people "warned" like they are on other PVP boards; and either infractioned or they stop?
They were warned and infracted. One or two members earned themselves perma-bans because they couldn't get it through their heads that a PvP thread was not OT-NHB. The major part in the decision to close it was because the shard politics couldn't be left outside. It always started as PvP and quickly degenerated into what certain groups had done 2 years ago, who they allied with, and who was trying to profit by stabbing people in the back. It was more like a history of Catskills drama.

I don't wanna make the Catskills mod mad or hate me, but realistically; PVP is a big part of your shard at the moment (Be happy for this)!! By not having a pvp based thread/topic, you are discouraging PVP on your shard. Now; you may or may not be a pvper; this is fine and your choice; BUT those of us who DO pvp would like to throw our discussions and such out there for the other members of the pvp (and PVMers who decide to read it) so everyone knows about everything.
I've noticed the increase of PvP activity recently, and I have never been one to deny anyone because of their play style. Whatever floats your boat is fine with me. Back when Anne (my former co-mod) and I started the PvP thread it was a very small group on a fairly quiet forum. Now the numbers have shifted and one thread was just too small and too cumbersome to contain it all. As I posted in the other thread, having everyone crammed into one thread was likely the cause of a lot of problems.

Again, by all means; you are free to do as you wish, its YOUR forum, but I think my declining us pvpers of a "thread" of our own (Which no one else is FORCING people to read it), you are denying a lot of people something they want (Probably close to 40-50% of your Catskills posters would read/post in the thread). Just ask any of the other moderators; warn and infraction people. It will make your life easier while letting some of us have some friendly arguments/discussions over OUR favorite part of Ultima Online.
First off, it's not MY forum, I just work here. This forum belongs to the entire Catskills community, I'm just hear to make sure they behave and maybe slap their wrists if they get out of line.

Secondly, I know how other forums handle their pvp crowd. I worked on the Pacific forum for a few months when they were short handed and I'm currently doing the same on Origin. I'm no stranger to the warning/infraction system. But as I said earlier, they only work if the person receiving said warning/infraction pays attention to why they're getting them. This isn't always the case.

I saw you posted in Catlords other thread, if you missed my replies to it, go take a look. It better explains the decision we made regarding PvP posts.

Disclaimer: Black Sun and any other moderators (sorry; I only know of him), I don't mean to step on toes here, and mean no disrespect. Just voicing my opinion. I don't know the "past" of Catskills' PVP forums, but now since there is a lot of pvp here (Unlike before) maybe give it another go! :thumbup1:
No worries, I didn't think you were trying to be disrespectful and I understand your view. But there are a lot of posts in a mods only forum that give a very accurate view of a pattern in the Catskills PvP threads, without knowing the history it appears a lot different than it really is.

I hope I didn't come across as scolding or being snotty and blindly backing up my decision, that's not my intent. Despite what it may appear to others (honestly, I have no accurate idea as to how my fellow board members view me) I do give quite a bit of thought about my actions as a moderator.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
#2 Let's just raid their little roleplay thread every day with our PvP talk. It can be the daily roleplay/pvp thread.
You and your ebil cookies are always welcome in the babel thread.

They Call Me Al

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You and your ebil cookies are always welcome in the babel thread.
Hah. I can see it now....

*Flutter stealths in completely un-noticed.*

*She sits silently and waits for the inn to fill up with regulars*

*Thwap* *Thwap* *Thwap*

*Flutter stealths out just as silently as she entered, with a little grin on her face and an ebil cookie in her hand*

*Hours later a random passer-by happens upon the massacre that insued inside the tiny inn. In one corner there is a grotesque looking pile of bodies all circled around a stuffed and shaved catman corpse*

The end

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Hah. I can see it now....

*Flutter stealths in completely un-noticed.*

*She sits silently and waits for the inn to fill up with regulars*

*Thwap* *Thwap* *Thwap*

*Flutter stealths out just as silently as she entered, with a little grin on her face and an ebil cookie in her hand*

*Hours later a random passer-by happens upon the massacre that insued inside the tiny inn. In one corner there is a grotesque looking pile of bodies all circled around a stuffed and shaved catman corpse*

The end
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :lol:

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh she'd get the kitty, no doubt. I am sure to fall soon after. But my barmaids are not so easily brought down. Hell hath no fury like the scorn of a woman and all that....