• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Cartography] Cartography, Lockpicking, and Soulstones

• Thread starter Draedloth
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Draedloth

I have a character that is nearing the skill cap. I want to use Cartography and Lockpicking like so,

Step 1. Decode some T-Maps and put in backpack
Step 2. Put Cartography into Soulstone, making Cartography zero
Step 3. Take Lockpicking out of Stoulstone, making Lockpicking 100.0
Step 4. Go to T-Map Location 1 and dig up treasure chest
Step 5. Loot
Step 6. Repeat
Step 7. Trade out Lockpicking and Cartography again to repeat list later

My questions lies with digging up a decoded T-Map while I do not have the Cartography skill, but the map was decoded by the character. Is it possible? Or do I need to have Cartography for the entire thing through the dig up? Thank you for any insight anyone can provide.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As long as you were the FIRST AND ONLY character decode the map, you can use the soulstone method.

If some other character was the first one to decode the map, you must have the required cartography on you to dig the map. Unsure if having another character decode it after you affects it similarly or not, but I wouldn't risk it.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as the char that decoded it digs it you can stone off carto, I did this the other day and worked out just fine.

Good luck

L

Lord Drakelord

As said above as long as you are the only person decoding them all is well, but if another person decodes then you must have the require skill to read the map when digging it up.

D

Draedloth

Yes, my character would be decoding and digging them up. Thank you all very much!

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have used this technique for years, so I would like to make a suggestion. I have 2 chests in my house. One for tattered maps and one for maps I have already decoded.

Any map I find or buy, or discover, if it isn't tattered gets thrown out. Never contaminate your map collection with "NON-tattered " maps.

When my chest of decoded maps is empty, I stone LP off and cart on and decode all the tattered maps I own. they all get moved to chest number 2 leaving the first chest for the new tattered maps I get!