• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cancellation Details (Skara Brae Festival)

QMSoar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings!

Last night I was invited by Governor Sage and Lady Lioness to attend a private meeting at the governor's officer in Skara Brae. Over the past few weeks Skara Brae and Trinsic have been working on preparations for the Halloween Festival which was to be held on the 26th of this month. As announced by Lady Lioness on the event forums, the festival has been canceled due to the threat of invasion upon the city and the concern for the safety of our guests. I was intimately involved in the creation of this event, and witnessed all aspects both in front and behind the curtain. So I wanted to post the details of the entire affair before assumptions and misunderstanding could take root.

Up front I would like say that the cancellation was simply a matter of bad luck. The invasions hit, and that was that. As far as I'm concerned there is no one at fault, although I am very sorry to see it removed from my calendar. All is not lost however, but more on that later.

Now, many people have suggested we could have rolled with it, organized a security force to handle the invasion should it come during the event, and at first I was of that opinion too. However, after considering all factors, this would not have gone as well as it sounds.
The festival plan would have been culmination of many player's efforts, each working on a specific aspect of a program that was packed tight over four hours, including pre-event set up. It's also true that with a security force we could have turned away an invasion during the event. However it would have punched a hole in the program of at least an hour, causing us to push back or cancel elements that people had worked hard to produce. Not to mentioned the sheer chaos, killing, and disruption that would have likely been enough to derail the event from that point on. Add to this the fact the invasions are brand new content, and are a persistent draw of player attention across the realm, which would have had a pretty big impact on event attendance anyways. And so, as most of the preparations were still on paper at the time, we decided not to go ahead with it. I'm not one to agree to cancel an event I'm involved with lightly, but in this case it really was the better choice.

But as I said, all is not lost...

At the meeting in Skara Brae we discussed taking the best elements of the program, and running them separately in a safer environment. Some of the activities our coordinators had put together were nothing short of brilliant, and it would be a great shame to see them go unused. In particular the Halloween themed maze created by Makeila of UWF, and the visit by the Jack Of Lanterns, played by Corinthian.

Governor Sage of Skara Brae has generously offered sponsorship for the prizes of these events and thus we are going forward with them.

Governor Lew of Trinsic has also put forward the idea of combining the two events with the annual Trick or Treat organized by the Atlantic Role Playing Community (ARPC). This is scheduled to follow the Royal Council meeting on Sunday 27th, which is due to finish by 9:00pm EST.

So this week I will do my best to coordinate between all parties, Skara Brae, Trinsic, Makeila [UWF], the ARPC, and Corinthian, and hopefully bring things together in time. Watch the boards for an announcement on this one! ;)

- Soar

Last edited: