• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can we talk about items?

• Thread starter HeavyMetal
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
H

HeavyMetal

Good morning warriors,

I am returning to the game and the bulk of my previous gametime was played before all of these crazy item properties were added. While im getting a handle on a lot of them and what I want for my characters, I am still confused about armor types and deciding what to wear.

Back in the day, if my memory doesnt fail me, plate had the highest defense but you took a dexterity hit so there was a trade off. Now it seems that you can get max resistances while wearing leather or other sub-plate type items, so is there any benefit to wearing plate (and does it still have a dex penalty?).

Id really like to wear all plate but I am trying to understand what the trade offs (if there are any, anymore) are between each of the armor types (chain, ringmail, leather, plate, etc).

Thanks for any thoughts you have.

C

Connor_Graham

The only difference in any kind of armor now is whether or not you can passively and actively meditate with it. Regular plate armor you can't, but the samurai plate armor you can. Regular leather armor and leaf armor you can, but any other kind of leather armor you can't. The only exception to this rule is if the armor says "Mage Armor". Other than that, there is no difference between one kind of armor or another, other than the strength requirement to equip it.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think there is anymore defence gain/dex loss on plate, but I could be wrong. The main problem is if your char has meditation, then unless your wearing mage armour, it decreases the mana regen increase from having med. You will probably see alot of metal peices of the SE armour since it comes out as mage armour. The other downside is the weight issue unless your pieces all have lower requirements. Also the cost of runic kits have effected what people wear....Barbed Kits are around 2 mill, Val hammers are around 25 mill depending on shard, and even gold hammers are in the 5 mill range, so it is a lot easier to buy 10 barbed kits and make a couple suits, and use the hammers for weapons and maybe a couple select pieces of armour such as mempos (gorget), hiro sodes (arms), or haridates (legs) made with verite.

H

HeavyMetal

Very cool thanks for your guys' information.

On the one hand, it sucks that there isnt really a difference between the armor types. On the other hand, its cool that you are more liberated in kind of looking how you want.

C

Connor_Graham

You'd be surprised at how hard it is to actually get an all or near all 70's suit with the mods that you want that actually matches. Most people's armor is a mix & match set of several different types, none of which match in any way. That's why you see so many characters wearing robes of one type or another. I only have two characters that don't wear robes anymore, and both of them are wearing armor sets. One is the Assassin set from ML and the other is the Sorcerer's armor from the recent Spring Clean Up. Prior to getting these 2 sets, both of these characters wore robes to hide the ugly clown costumes they had.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only difference in any kind of armor now is whether or not you can passively and actively meditate with it. Regular leather armor and leaf armor you can, but any other kind of leather armor you can't. The only exception to this rule is if the armor says "Mage Armor". Other than that, there is no difference between one kind of armor or another, other than the strength requirement to equip it.

unless this changed over night this is wrong...you can med through barbed, horned and spined leather as well as normal leather.

The only leather you can't med through is studded.

To the OP...what shard are you on? You can put together a pretty decent suit fairly cheaply..

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah it would be nice if they added extra mods if you wore armour of the same material. Full metal suit (ring, chain and plate of any material) would give you up to 80 in physical and poison but only 65 in cold and energy. All wood suit would give up to 80 in physical and energy but 65 in fire and cold, and finally an all leather or leaf suit would give up to 80 in fire and cold but only 65 in energy and poison (yeah I know leaves and fire don't really go together but I'm just using it as an example). If you mix and match a suit then no bonus given.

C

Connor_Graham

unless this changed over night this is wrong...you can med through barbed, horned and spined leather as well as normal leather.
I was referring to leather armor vs studded leather armor, not materials they're made from.

H

HeavyMetal

Im on the pacific shard.

I have a bard from when I played back in the day, I want to build a suit for her that is basically a PLEASE DONT LET ME DIE MAX SURVIVAL suit haha.

My other guy I just started and is going to be a macer so hoping for a better mix of damage and survivability.

Anyways, im working on skilling up this macer and saving my nickles and its just helpful knowing what I should start aspiring to, which is why I posted this.

Thanks everyone for your input.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im on the pacific shard.

I have a bard from when I played back in the day, I want to build a suit for her that is basically a PLEASE DONT LET ME DIE MAX SURVIVAL suit haha.

My other guy I just started and is going to be a macer so hoping for a better mix of damage and survivability.

Anyways, im working on skilling up this macer and saving my nickles and its just helpful knowing what I should start aspiring to, which is why I posted this.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Well there is something called a valor suit. You can't med through it...but you can use focus to regen through it....not quite as good as Med...but not bad. You can get it for free with a little work.
it is a straight 70's suit.

C

Connor_Graham

I guess I got confused by this....

but any other kind of leather armor you can't
That would be referring to the studded armor, and the elven hide armor too. Types of armor, not materials they're made out of.