• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Camping Guide

F

Fink

Hallows.

I've made a guide - more an essay really - on the Camping skill. I've roughly cobbled it together in html-ese for public viewing. I'll no doubt want to revise it a few times, but I'm sick of looking at it and it's 2am for pity's sake. Anyway, it's here if you're morbidly curious (or, like me, curiously morbid):

Fink's Camping Guidebook

I'd appreciate any critique from people within and without the Camping community. I need both experienced eyes and a newb's point of view as to readability, clarity, and so on. Excuse me a moment.

:coco:

Better. Right, yes.. feedback sought, thanks in advance. Be brutal if you must because I'm going to fling it at UHall like angry monkey poop, and they're picky about the quality of their monkey poop there.:talktothehand:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Very easy to read, comprehensive and well written.

Makes me want to take up camping lol. Are you going to submit to stratics?

Well done Fink.

F

Fink

Think I'll upload it to Stratics when things settle down, or some other place where I can maintain it it. You know, in case they suddenly & wildly revamp the skill and I need to edit the info. I'll be ready to pounce like a tiger.

There wasn't a Camping forum, but I might link/sticky it from UO Beggar when I get back in business as it sort of goes with the lifestyle (can't believe I didn't list Begging as a complimentary skill, now I think about it).

I have some stuff in the works for Herding as I noticed there was no guide for it. This Camping thing started as just a skill log and a few random notes but quickly blew out to a decent sized essay, have a feeling Herding will follow suit. I'll probably document all the orphaned UO skills by the time I'm done.

The big news, for me anyway, is I've been scooped up by a game development team who are turning out an MMORPG. I'm chiseling away at the 3D statics for them (everything from rocks to high architecture at this point :eek:), plus I have a day job, so I'll be pretty busy this year.

I've had a head full of UO notes for these sorts of documentation. I'll offload that in essay form and recoup some brain power to focus on this new game. So yeah, good news for all you budding camping-herding-itemIDing weirdos.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reads well. You might want to add to it that you can't use camping in fel dungeons (I have tried, insta logging a stealther in despise would be very helpful lol, but alas...)

F

Farscape

Hallows.

I've made a guide - more an essay really - on the Camping skill. I've roughly cobbled it together in html-ese for public viewing. I'll no doubt want to revise it a few times, but I'm sick of looking at it and it's 2am for pity's sake. Anyway, it's here if you're morbidly curious (or, like me, curiously morbid):

Fink's Camping Guidebook

I'd appreciate any critique from people within and without the Camping community. I need both experienced eyes and a newb's point of view as to readability, clarity, and so on. Excuse me a moment.

:coco:

Better. Right, yes.. feedback sought, thanks in advance. Be brutal if you must because I'm going to fling it at UHall like angry monkey poop, and they're picky about the quality of their monkey poop there.:talktothehand:
Very good read and useful
Now I suppose you can be "Camp"umm:bowdown:

W

Waylander

Well written and very clever!

I am almost tempted to go make a camper :danceb:

F

Fink

Reads well. You might want to add to it that you can't use camping in fel dungeons (I have tried, insta logging a stealther in despise would be very helpful lol, but alas...)
I remembered something like that and meant to test it soon, but you've saved me doing the legwork, cheers. :thumbsup:

Updated the link, shows a raw listing of the skill guide, gain journal, and a wish list.

V

von Beck

Thanks for the guide Fink. I tried using camping in a T2A Champ spawn area and it didn't work so I assumed it was broken. But your guide has restored my faith! I'll try it out somewhere else tonight.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the guide Fink. I tried using camping in a T2A Champ spawn area and it didn't work so I assumed it was broken. But your guide has restored my faith! I'll try it out somewhere else tonight.
Yeh camping and fel dungeons (inc. t2a) is a no go.

K

Kevlar

You might want to add some notes re: pets ie: can you be riding a pet and logout thiis way? Can you logout with a pet (packhorse etc.)? Can you logout this way on a boat?

On a side note I remember, before skills could be set to go up or down, certain individuals would light fires at banks and everyone would gain in camping which meant that if you had hit your skill cap and had GMed one or more skills you would lose your GM and gain in camping - very annoying!

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not as anoying as people who train music or spirit speak at banks...

"Anh Mi Sah Ko"
"Anh Mi Sah Ko"
"Anh Mi Sah Ko"
"Anh Mi Sah Ko"
"Anh Mi Sah Ko"

F

Fink

You might want to add some notes re: pets ie: can you be riding a pet and logout thiis way? Can you logout with a pet (packhorse etc.)? Can you logout this way on a boat?
Yup, covered ships.. packy/pet are basically the same as logging at an inn, but I'll make a note of pointing those out, thanks.

A

Amathist of PoC

I use to love camping, I could not get the guide to come up however...not sure what the issue is but I am just getting a page that looks like this -

F

Fink

I use to love camping, I could not get the guide to come up however...not sure what the issue is but I am just getting a page that looks like this -

Yup, that's it, just a raw list of the html files. I'm going to format & polish stuff when I nail down the content, that's a temporary thing. I've been meaning to finish this off but I'm working two jobs at the moment, so I've been slack with gaming stuff.

I've been meaning to do a web guide to my vendors, too, as there's a few of them now. Same deal, though, between my day job and night job I'm short of time & I need my unwinding time.

A

Amathist of PoC

No worries life tends to run away with the best of us - I was just making sure there was not something wrong with my browser and I was definitely in the right place.

A

Amathist of PoC

New item, Fire Pit (25/50 skill needed).

At 25 Skill: Places a temporary fire pit graphic (as seen in gypsy camps) that may be used for cooking. Does not bake. May not be placed within a guard zone or house. Does not block house placement. Must be redeemed to be placed again. One per character. Disappears when owner logs out.

At 50 Skill: Places a temporary camp cauldron graphic that may be used for cooking and baking. May not be placed within a guard zone or house. Does not block house placement. Must be redeemed to be placed again. One per character. Disappears when owner logs out.

New item, Tent (75/100 skill needed).

At 75 Skill: Places a small tent which may be used as a base camp. Does not block or exclude spawn or other players. May not be placed within a guard zone or house. Does not block house placement. Must be redeemed to be placed again. One per character. Disappears when owner logs out. May be used by party members to rejuvenate; +1 to MR/SR/HPR while resting in the tent and not combat flagged. Does not condemn any housing held by the character's account.

At 100 Skill: Places a tent which may be used as a base camp. Contains a strong box that holds 125 items/400 stones, accessible by owner. Does not block or exclude spawn or other players. May not be placed within a guard zone or house. Does not block house placement. Must be redeemed to be placed again. One per character. Remains when owner logs out, decays like a ship. Refreshed by opening the strong box. May be used by party members to rejuvenate; +2 to MR/SR/HPR while resting in the tent and not combat flagged. Does not condemn any housing held by the character's account.

How did I miss news of these items...I am yet to see them do I have to buy any special items to use/have them?

Great Guide by the way fink...I can see my gypsey making a comeback.

A

Amathist of PoC

LOL NVM if I actually read properly I would have seen
These are just a few ideas for the expansion or enhancement of the Camping skill. The basic skill use is to remain unchanged. Rather, these ideas are in addition to the existing functionality.

YOU SO GOT MY HOPES UP