• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bushido - DCI or no DCI?

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Confidence works better the more hits you block, Counter-Attack will fire off more often the more you parry as well and finally, the skill itself increases your parry chance... So with Evasion to top it off you have a solid defense.

Do you actually do better with 0 DCI on a Bushido template because you give your char the chance to block more?..

On a side note, which of the Samurai Empire weapons' special moves blocks your enemy's next hit when toggled on? For some reason I cannot access the Special Moves list right now.

C

Connor_Graham

There's a noticeable difference with and without DCI on a Bushido dexxer. I wouldn't want mine to be without it.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm. It's been so long since I've used those Specials(and the weapons that have them). I must be confused. Too bad all of them are completely worthless, at least in PvP.

Connor, I was thinking that allowing more hits to land could result in more chances to block(assuming those increase analogically) said hits and therefore benefit from said particular functions of Bushido considerably!

Oh well!! :eek: :blushing:

C

Connor_Graham

Yeah, but I'd much rather me be hitting them than them hitting me. Them missing means I can use my offensive spells instead of defensive ones. Save the defensive ones for the times when Evasion has been used and you're waiting on the timer. Those extra hits give you extra stuff back from the leeches, and can keep you alive while you're waiting the timer out.

O

Old Man of UO

Yeah, but I'd much rather me be hitting them than them hitting me. Them missing means I can use my offensive spells instead of defensive ones. Save the defensive ones for the times when Evasion has been used and you're waiting on the timer. Those extra hits give you extra stuff back from the leeches, and can keep you alive while you're waiting the timer out.
Connor is absolutely correct here... especially withe the higher end mobs, you don't want to get hit often, especially if they hit with their own specials like DP or mortal strike.

The problem with evasion is that you can no longer spam it, but wait for the <seems very long> timer to reset so you can use it again. I use evasion as an emergency defense, used only when I am low on hit points. It really stinks to have just used evasion then get hit twice really hard and not to have that little bit extra defense when you need it.

But, all that aside, this is really easy to test... soul stone parry, add or remove jewelry and items with DCI, etc. I have a nice bracelet with 15% HCI and 24% DI that was replace with one that has +13 HCI, +12 DCI, +5 Dex and +5 STR because that bit extra DCI more than makes up for the damage increase. So, I would suggest that you test your question yourself with your own particular template... maybe it will work for you just fine.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll give it a go. I agree that in PvM it would do more harm to drop DCI and depend on blocking hits but it may just be viable in PvP.

I don't know a single person that has tested this in PvP come to think of it.

R

Radun

With DCI > no DCI... it's kinda hard to explain but i'll give it a shot...
Even though you leech when you block, you still only block less often than they successfully hit. Since you block the same percent of swings, more chances to block by decreasing their wiffs, actually increases their number of successful hits by more than your increase in successful blocks.

Now a rudimentary example: (numbers are not exact as gameplay)

with dci:
50% of their swings result in a wiff
33.3% of their swings result in a direct hit
16.7% of their swings result in a block

without dci:
10% of their swings result in a wiff
60% of their swings result in a direct hit
30% of their swings result in a block

Decreasing their wiffs gives you more opportunities to block, yes... but the chances of you actually blocking each of those non-wiffs remains the same, half as much as their chance to make a direct hit.