• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Browser discussion

R

Rykus

Hi, my name is Rykus, and I'm a Chrome-aholic...

What browser do you prefer, and why?

I used to love Firefox, then Chrome entered my life. It is simple, elegant, and FAST. I still use Firefox at times, but generally I prefer Chrome now. I haven't really looked into improving my web browsing experience with Chrome, but if I could ask for one thing it would be Ad-block Plus from Firefox.

Thoughts?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am an IE kinda guy... I am just beginning to see the light.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Firefox guy through and through. I havent toyed much with chrome, but with adblock, fireftp, and other things, I cant leave Firefox right now.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty happy with Internet Explorer 8. I use Firefox and Chrome enough to know the postives and negatives of all three, but I'm satisfied enough with IE to stick to it as my default browser.

B

Beer_Cayse

Firefox for the blockers mainly. Internet Exploder only if I must.

G

gjohnson5

Firefox / Seamonkey mostly.
I'm starting to use Safari more

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back in the day I was a Netscape guy. Then I switched to IE and stuck with that for quite a few years. Now it's Firefox. I use it about 98% of the time. About the only time I use IE anymore is when I have to update windows or when I run across the odd website that won't work right in Firefox.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back in the day I was a Netscape guy. Then I switched to IE and stuck with that for quite a few years. Now it's Firefox. I use it about 98% of the time. About the only time I use IE anymore is when I have to update windows or when I run across the odd website that won't work right in Firefox.

Theres an addon called IEtab for those situations :)

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Firefox nearly 100%

I didn't know about IETab, I'll have to check that out!

T

TheGrayGhost

Firefox here, just to many addons for w/e I need really to go back to IE or to give Chrome a fair shot. Downloading with Firefox is one of the greatest things ever lol. It's like the ultimate download manager for Free! lol.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i use opera, built in bit torent/dl manager, speed dial. good password functions. nice mouse commands/short cuts.

K

Kimball

Oddly enough I am currently giving another go at Chrome. I have been using Firefox almost exclusively for the past few years and tried chrome when it was first released but went back to Firefox. For the past few days I have dusted off Chrome again to give it a go but the jury is still out. I tend to stay away from IE, but use it on my work machine (Lovely little colored tabs with IE8). We'll see if Chrome will catch on this time for me or if I go back to Firefox.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Firefox here for the past year. I fell in love with the Foxmarks (now Xmarks) addon. That way I can have the same bookmarks on all my computers.

They make it easy to manage and find the addons. IE is not as easy to find them, IMO.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oddly enough I am currently giving another go at Chrome. I have been using Firefox almost exclusively for the past few years and tried chrome when it was first released but went back to Firefox. For the past few days I have dusted off Chrome again to give it a go but the jury is still out. I tend to stay away from IE, but use it on my work machine (Lovely little colored tabs with IE8). We'll see if Chrome will catch on this time for me or if I go back to Firefox.
BTW, there's a firefox add-on called "Colorful Tabs"

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems like we are playing the broken record...

Just like the "theres an app for that" iPhone commericals

"Theres an addon for that!" :D

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mainly use Firefox with DownThemAll!, AdBlockPlus, and Unites States English Dictionary add-ons. I keep meaning to try the IE add-on for Firefox. It is annoying to have to switch because some sites, particularly financial ones, don't work correctly in Firefox. Even Symantec has finally seen the light though, and included full support for Firefox in their anti-phishing & identity protection browser utility. I recently abandoned using the NoScript add-on...the recent release was a bad one IMO, too crippling and too much decision making required on a per page basis, for even an IT person...expecting a typical user to deal with it without just globally allowing everything (defeating the purpose) is unrealistic.

IE8 is crash happy, particularly when called from other programs such as email. It is really annoying.

I am keeping an eye on Chrome. I had read about it pre-beta and such in trade journals, but had no compelling reason to install & test it when the beta release happened. Even now, I still hear it isn't "all there" and is light on features, but I have no first hand knowledge of it. The main "pro" I have seen from reviews by IT folks is page loading speed.

-Skylark

T

TheGrayGhost

If you like downloading with firefox try this addon
Hey sweet thanks for that!

And as far as the Firefox is to browsers what iPhones are to cellphones I agree lol. You can pretty much give credit to the new browsers and the enhanced functionality of them (Including IE) to firefox. A browser was a browser and IE was pretty much it (for most) then firefox pops up and its a browser with like a hundred and 1 features lol. At first no one really thought it would catch on, but it's probably used as much as IE nowdays maybe even more so. Competition can make for better products lol.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to Rykus, ;) , I've been using firefox at home for a few years. I have to use IE at work. Thanks for the info about the IEtabs app. I never knew there were apps for firefox. Do I go to the firefox website to download one?

B

Beer_Cayse

Bookmarks ==> Mozilla ==> Customize Firefox

That will take you to here. Now you can add in all sorts of stuffz!

S

Stupid Miner

wow no one else likes opera? I just found it has a built in IRC client.
Used to use Opera for the longest time. Then i had to make a facebook page to keep in contact with certain people (personally i hate the site) so i switched over to firefox. Since they were basically the same as far as i could tell, just stuck with it. Stuff is more likely to work with firefox than Opera.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use chrome, as it's faster (in my mind) than the other big ones and it doesn't ever crash.

IE crashes pretty constantly on one of my computers, firefox has serious lag issues on the other. Pre-chrome, I would just use both. Now I use Chrome for everything that's compatible.

T

Teeshy

wow no one else likes opera? I just found it has a built in IRC client.
Opera! 99.9% of the time =D If I find something that doesnt work in Opera, I try firefox, if not in there, THEN I try IE

But I find for our connection speed, and the options I use when browsing, Opera is MUCH faster than anything else - I like firefox, but it doesnt let me choose to load flash/images etc the way I choose to =)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use Flock here and love it. It's based on Firefox so you can use many Firefox plugins, but it works well with social networking, media, blogs, news feeds etc. And it works cross platform :)

Wenchy