• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bring back power hour!

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There, I said it! Man, I feel better now. You can now start the flaming :p

If I have a char in training, I usually don't train more than one hour, if not just a half of an hour. So this would perfectly fit my playstyle. Leave GGS as it is, just add PH.
Not the original design, where PH starts right after logging in. Maybe tie it to a command, just like "I wish to secure this" works. After saying the command, start PH, display a buff icon and let it run for 1h. After 20h it resets and you can invoke PH again. (24h sucks, because there are days where I have time to play from i.e. 20-22h, on other days I just have time from 17h to 19h, so 20h would make it a bit more flexible).

That would be cool!

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not think I was around for power hour but I'm kind of happy the way things are.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked powerhour it guaranteed I played an hour a day..but with the alacrity scrolls out now I don't see much use to it never mind how completely useless those would become after PH was brought back I could say it would be nice to get an ALL skill 1 hour training alacrity scroll for 99¢ at the origin store and 2 hour for $1.49

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With very few exceptions (like animal taming) skills are so easy to raise now that messing with skill gains is prolly going to hurt more than it helps... If you need proof just look at Pub 80.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With very few exceptions (like animal taming) skills are so easy to raise now that messing with skill gains is prolly going to hurt more than it helps... If you need proof just look at Pub 80.
Animal taming is easy now a days 30 on jewls 5 on tali 10 on mask your looking at 75 skill 85 for people not willing to spend 75m or farming travesty for days on end

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't mind something like this. I have found raising skills to be rather trying, and the necessary scrolls are not always readily available. And besides, isn't it more fun to gain skills through gameplay?

Granted some people will use a power hour to golem train! But power-gamers will always find a way to power-game. Skill raising policies primarily need, I suggest, to be designed with non-power gamers in-mind.

The power-gamers will always retain their edge in skill gaining, that's fine, and really nothing could touch it short of doing something stupid that would hurt more than help. No I'm not going to speculate about what some of those stupid steps might be. Under a power hour type system, power gamers would retain their edge and the various skill gain scrolls (Alacrity and Transcendence) would retain most of their value.

When you think about it you already need a pretty well-developed character to be able to get the items that help you raise skill.

-Galen's player

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taming was a bear for me but when I got my first white wyrm it made it feel so worth it. I'm not sure how I feel about making things easier, that seems so WoW.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just suck I guess.

I find myself Glorious Lord before I GM Swords and end up scratching my head wondering why a sub-GM Swordsman has top-level Fame and top-level Karma.

-Galen's player

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Animal taming is easy now a days 30 on jewls 5 on tali 10 on mask your looking at 75 skill 85 for people not willing to spend 75m or farming travesty for days on end
Taming substitutes are easy (easier) now. Training the actual taming skill to 120 is still the hardest skill by a long shot.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They could make fame and karma harder to gain O.O
I've supported that too, for my part. Fame and Karma levels and especially Fame (Karma's a minor problem and it's keyed to the use of a skill, Chivalary, whereas to my knowledge Fame isn't) are too easy to get.

I suspect the peasantry is not going to be anywere near as impressed as once they were by one's ability to kill a demon.

-Galen's player

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe, nice coincidence. I got a legendary tamer as well as a 75 real + 45 modified tamer xD
But they both have their advantages & disadvantages. While the former has no item-slot-restrictions, the latter has a total of 765 skill points. Honestly I would rather raise the second one to legendary too or at least 100+, but skill gain is so tedious, I gladly keep him as he is.

I liked powerhour it guaranteed I played an hour a day..but with the alacrity scrolls out now I don't see much use to it never mind how completely useless those would become after PH was brought back I could say it would be nice to get an ALL skill 1 hour training alacrity scroll for 99¢ at the origin store and 2 hour for $1.49
Yes, SoA is some kind of substitute, but it's not the same. SoA gives you +0.2 to +0.5 per gain randomly, but PH on the other hand increased the gain chance. To be honest, I'd like it more, if I gain a smaller amount but more often. For my taste that's more motivating.

I can only support this if the command is "I have the power!"
ROFL! Awesome! I support this 100%!

MrMightySmith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont mind a scroll being introduced with some along the lines "an hour of power scroll" but they cannot be combined with SOTs or Alacrity Scrolls. and only usuable once per day. But too be honest with SOTS, SOAs and the easyness of skils it really does not need to be adressed.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If I have a char in training, I usually don't train more than one hour, if not just a half of an hour. So this would perfectly fit my playstyle. Leave GGS as it is, just add PH.
Not the original design, where PH starts right after logging in. Maybe tie it to a command, just like "I wish to secure this" works. After saying the command, start PH, display a buff icon and let it run for 1h. After 20h it resets and you can invoke PH again. (24h sucks, because there are days where I have time to play from i.e. 20-22h, on other days I just have time from 17h to 19h, so 20h would make it a bit more flexible).

That would be cool!
FLAMEEEEEEE!!!!!! Power hour was horrible.

Njjj

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I definately would support making skill easier to train. But rather than power hour, why not just moderately increase the rate of gain at all times, at least for some skills that I think most would agree need it.

Taming is rediculously hard to gain. They could easily multply the gain rate by 10, just for starters Part of the problem with taming is the fact that playing a tamer normally does not involve taming and releasing pets. We tame a few then fight with them. So there really should be a way to gain from controlling your pets. I already hit 120, but I will not begrudge anyone that would benefit from this. That was the least fun that i've had in uo.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How bad is it to go from 100 to 120 taming?
1. First you have to find a suitable mob.
2. Then start the tame.
3. Wait a few seconds (this is the actual taming process).
4. Hope, you succeed (at the sweet spot you usually fail for about 30-50%) If you failed, continue with point nr. 2
5. Rename the mob, so you know, you already tamed it or kill the mob.
6. Start all over again.

If RNG gets streaky or hates you, you can tame for hours without a single 0.1 gain... GGS is definitely the best way to go, stone off some skills, so you can have even 2 GGS per day...

But it's not because of taming, i want PH back. During that hour I was always motivated. Now I'm training for about 20-30 min, then I usually scrap it...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How hard is taming ro 120? I did alright uptp 101.2 then went 10 hours with no gains at all thenjust used the GGS, that was long before these pinky and baby blue scrolls. If I ever do another tamer......... I will just buy a mythic and use jewels and arties to get to 120. Lore on the other hand seemed to fly up was 120 lore long long before hitting 102 taming.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That would be cool!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO power hour no power hour no power hour not now not ever again!

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They could make fame and karma harder to gain O.O
If, by the same token, they make it harder to lose. While fame and karma are "easy" to get, it does take some time to do so. Yet, you can die two or three times and whammo, your fame is gone.

Never quite understood that. "Oh, you're so famous, Glorious Lord Pickleface... you've slaid 15,000 demons!" Two hours later, "The Estimable Pickleface, I see you've returned after your five deaths to the Slasher of Veils. I can't believe I ever thought you were a Glorious Lord." Two hours later, "Hail, Glorious Lord Pickleface! I see you have now slain 15,025 demons! Can I lick your armpit?"

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does no one remember how anti-social power hour was? 'We're doing (mob) will you join us?' 'Can't I'm on my power hour'.
Also the guaranteed gain system replaced power hour, so would you give that up to get power hour back?
What's the difference between 'power hour' and 4 back to back alacrity scrolls?

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh yes now I remember that anti-social aspect. You didnt have time to talk or help people or whatever you wanted to do. Watch the time so you didnt were in the middle of something when power hour begun. . Hide on icq. Ressing ghosts on a ship. :eek:. gaining in the start was super-easy. Mid way I think it was like now or harder. At the end you didnt gain at all outside of PH.. even during PH it was harder than now. Never again!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Power Hour was very bad for the gameplay and the community. When a guildmember got on and you asked to do something together, the standard ansvar was, "sorry I'm, in my power hour"

I understand the wish for it but maybe make it so the player have better control on when to start it. Lets say, you have 60 min a day and can start and stop it with the commands "I wish to start my power hour" and "I wish to stop my power hour"

This way, if a player logon and no guildmembers on, he can start it, then if a guildmember need his help, he can stop it and start it later. This way he can train, when he have time and play with friends, when they are on.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Granted, the anti-social aspect can't be denied. And I have absolutely no argument to against it.

Also the guaranteed gain system replaced power hour, so would you give that up to get power hour back?
I fail to see how GGS would interfere with PH and why one has to replace the other. Noone would need PH below 70, and even with 350 or less skill points, you have to wait almost two hours until a new GGS gain occurs.

What's the difference between 'power hour' and 4 back to back alacrity scrolls?
SoA: increased amount per gain, randomly from 0.2 to 0.5
PH: increased chance to gain, gains remain at 0.1 but occur more often

The bottom line is, if I gain 0.1 five times in fifteen minutes, I find that more rewarding and motivating than to gain a single 0.5 in the same time. Statistically it may be the same, but from a psychological point of view I like it a lot more.

So what about a "Scroll of power quarter hour" or something like that? :p Would defintely reduce the negative social aspect.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No..... Just No.

I do NOT want to go back to the Power Hour.... Trying to remember who's hour was when. I have dozens of characters and the last thing I want to do is try to remember who's hour was when. And run into the old "I can't it's my power hour"...... standby....... I hated that.

If you want to "simulate" a Power Hour get yourself 4 scrolls of alacrity and have at it.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does no one remember how anti-social power hour was? 'We're doing (mob) will you join us?' 'Can't I'm on my power hour'.
This, 1,000,000,000,000 times over. I remember just after it was implemented -- ages, and ages, and ages ago. So long ago that my guild, The Cult of the Azure Dragons, still had lots of members in it. And for the first hour after anyone logged on, no one wanted to do anything but build skill. Sometimes across multiple characters. Because they didn't want to lose that precious power hour.

"Want to go hunt some PKs down?"
"No, I'm working on my crafter."

"Want to head down to Shame and hunt?"
"Working my tamer."

"Want to ..."
"Nope. Working my bard."

And since not everyone came on at the same time, it was impossible to get a group together.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This, 1,000,000,000,000 times over. I remember just after it was implemented -- ages, and ages, and ages ago. So long ago that my guild, The Cult of the Azure Dragons, still had lots of members in it. And for the first hour after anyone logged on, no one wanted to do anything but build skill. Sometimes across multiple characters. Because they didn't want to lose that precious power hour.

"Want to go hunt some PKs down?"
"No, I'm working on my crafter."

"Want to head down to Shame and hunt?"
"Working my tamer."

"Want to ..."
"Nope. Working my bard."

And since not everyone came on at the same time, it was impossible to get a group together.

That is EXACTLY the way I remember it. Want to..... No man it's my Power hour..... give me another 40 min I just got in it's my power hour....

Hell I had a chart of who to log in when because it was the PH schedule..... right down the list.... 1 thru 6..... hoping to get in everyone's hour. Frustrating to say the least.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I loved power hour. It was the best time in UO to work my characters and I really enjoyed my gains.

I loved the old Reaper trick also to gain resist.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was not around for power hour, but hearing about it I can do with out it :(

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fail to see how GGS would interfere with PH and why one has to replace the other. Noone would need PH below 70, and even with 350 or less skill points, you have to wait almost two hours until a new GGS gain occurs.
Guaranted gains replaced power hour, logically then to return power hour one would expect to have to give up guaranteed gains.
Wanting both, in my opinion, comes under the heading of wanting to have your cake and eat it.
Also, though you may not remember this, at higher levels it was possible to slog away at a skill for the whole hour and never get a single gain.