• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Breaking News?

Tek

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What with all the “Breaking News” posts? None of these people are shard reporters.

Don’t get me wrong it’s great that people are excited about new lands, starting a player town or whatever else but it’s not really ‘breaking news’.

I mean I don’t post every time I build a new house, go on a group hunt, stock a vendor, etc as ‘breaking news’.

Shouldn’t ‘News’ reports come from an actual shard reporter? Maybe the problem is we don’t have a reporter anymore, I don’t know.

It just seems every other post the past week is ‘breaking news’, which really don’t seem like ‘breaking news’ to me. :confused:

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know I saw your Breaking news thing in the summary for LA and was going to come in here and say, "What the heck is up with all these Breaking News things and don't you think they should be coming from our community reporter?"

So yeah what the heck is up with them. :pint:

T

Tycolby

Hmmm maybe it should read "Broken News" as in no reporters!!!!

T

Tycolby

And the last time I used Breaking News in my title I had a Mod tell me to change it because only News reporters were allowed to use it

Please change the title of your post - only the reporters and mods are allowed to use the [NEWS] tag.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Breaking News:
Freakin Trolls.........
:twak:
Hey, we are on topic, you are not, that by definition makes you the Freakin Troll, now that I have replied to your Troll I too am guilty of being a Troll so your Freakin Trolls is correct, but still off topic. :pint:

Keira

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My apologies. I did not know that rule, nor did read it anywhere that is easily accessible. I will change my post's headers. Sorry if that offended you.

* I changed the title to the 1 posting I did. Thank you.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Three issues with the breaking news posts:

1. Many of them concerned the alliance that the currently active reporter and the mods are in. As staff, we can't be the ones to post them; hell, the reporter was even given permission to post his wedding event as news, but still never did so officially. Actual community news that is related to our alliance will have to be treated unofficially, as a result - please use "Announcement" for info that does not go through channels as official news. (at least, since LOS is not a PvP alliance, we don't have the drama occurring on shards where the Mods PvP, and favoritism accusations fly left and right...)

2. Some mudslinging occurred in some if them, so the two Mods had to recuse ourselves, and ask Petra to look them over. It was Petra's choice to not do something about them.

3. Mods can't normally change titles of posts. I have higher-than-mod privs on another subforum, so if I wanted, I could move them there and fix them - but the people looking at crafting FAQs would be going WTF??? while they were there.

So, original posters, change your post titles! That's an order. As for the locked post, it will stay locked, and eventually drop off the front page.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thank you for proving that I've forgotten more about this game than you've ever known, Pan...

Pan Arcane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for proving that I've forgotten more about this game than you've ever known, Pan...
Laughable. Let's set a time to have a forum in the game and we'll see who does all of the talking. How's that?

In the game is where the game is played, not here. Talk is cheap unless you're willing to back it up. My status in the game versus yours tells the tale of the tape. Put away your bag of tricks, set a time and we'll do the talking in the game.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will edit the current post titles.

For future reference. Please go into your user cp, edit options, scroll right down to the bottom and set the miscellaneous option 'Message Editor Interface' to 'Enhanced interface - full WYSIWYG editing.

This will allow you to edit the post titles in the forum list -

Please note: you do this in the main thread listing, not in the actual thread itself.

T

Tycolby

I dont think I have ever seen Basara fight monsters in just his underwear Like I've seen Pan did and survive. Balrons in Blood Dungeon comes to mind.

Basara is problay the smartest guy I know when it comes to the mechanics and formulas of the game. He has all the knowledge.

Pan has the wisdom to use the knowledge and when it comes down to crunch time, Pan is the one who you want in your corner

As for Gameplay well the one that helps out with healing would be the best one. I for one would rather heal and fight than rez and try to find my stuff.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's where it comes down to the line.

I know the crunchy bits behind how the game works, and a fair chunk of history, even from before my time. (it helps to actually sit back and listen to your elders, sometimes)

Pan is an expert in the martial aspects of the game (especially the PvP side) - but that is a small fraction of gameplay, no matter what he believes.

There are some areas, for example, that I JUST DON'T DO. I admit them. I don't PvP (at best, I'll occasionally duel a friend); given the history I had pre-UO with MUDs, and how PvP destroyed all of them that I played, when the admins bowed to pressure to include PvP (not to mention what happened to an RPG group I belonged to back in 1985 - search for Dragon Magazine #143 and my letter in it), I have very good, solid reasons to believe that PvP is the antithesis of RPG, MMO or otherwise.
I considered the pre-nerf Sampire template to be borderline exploitative, so never had one (and still don't have a sampire or Whammy, even with the changes, though I could have one easily). It took me until this year to consider my tamer/bard worthy of training (3rd oldest character, yet had maybe 10 hours of gameplay before January 2009), also because it was detrimental to the idea of playing with others.

Nearly everything Pan thinks he can teach me, are things I've seen, pondered, and decided I could live without, in order to actually enjoy playing the game, as opposed to the game playing me.

Pan Arcane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's where it comes down to the line.

I know the crunchy bits behind how the game works, and a fair chunk of history, even from before my time. (it helps to actually sit back and listen to your elders, sometimes)

Pan is an expert in the martial aspects of the game (especially the PvP side) - but that is a small fraction of gameplay, no matter what he believes.

There are some areas, for example, that I JUST DON'T DO. I admit them. I don't PvP (at best, I'll occasionally duel a friend); given the history I had pre-UO with MUDs, and how PvP destroyed all of them that I played, when the admins bowed to pressure to include PvP (not to mention what happened to an RPG group I belonged to back in 1985 - search for Dragon Magazine #143 and my letter in it), I have very good, solid reasons to believe that PvP is the antithesis of RPG, MMO or otherwise.
I considered the pre-nerf Sampire template to be borderline exploitative, so never had one (and still don't have a sampire or Whammy, even with the changes, though I could have one easily). It took me until this year to consider my tamer/bard worthy of training (3rd oldest character, yet had maybe 10 hours of gameplay before January 2009), also because it was detrimental to the idea of playing with others.

Nearly everything Pan thinks he can teach me, are things I've seen, pondered, and decided I could live without, in order to actually enjoy playing the game, as opposed to the game playing me.
In my world there is no nearly everything. I have mastered every element of the game. Experience carries me to the top, nothing more. I would expect any RPG player that has been sticking it out since 1985 to be at least as good as me but obviously this is not the case. These are the things that are out of my control but I am disappointed nonetheless. You can put me on any template crafter, tamer, bard or otherwise and I will play it better than you and this is what Tycolby was trying to say.. You are a no-name player on LA trying to earn your name through Stratics, where you have already altered my posting history in your favor as you saw fit. Why should I want to post here anymore if it will be altered in your favor? You misrepresent the honorable breed that MHC used to be.

Again if you want to prove me wrong, show it in the game where actions do the talking. That is where I'll set you straight, ten times out of ten and one hundred times out of one hundred.

To any other poster this would be a helpless humiliation coming from an in-game (not board) legend, but for you this will be an excuse to give me another infraction because you know you won't ever match me action for action, word for word in any era of this game.

Just remember, community diversity is what shapes Stratics into a community. Without me it is a community no more. It's a farce.

I never once wanted to stop somebody from speaking their mind no matter how right or wrong they are. We're all adults I am sure we can all handle any non-profane material. In fact I encourage people to write to their heart's content. The truth comes out in the game anyway, so why try and prevent people from speaking their minds on a forum? Nothing phases me here. My clutch through all of this is my honest attitude and my actions. This is a forum about a game. My actions in the game speak louder than your words on the forums. My words on the forums are true because I back them up in the game. I'm flashy, controversial and brutally honest. I don't tell lies. That is the type of person people want to have around. You don't like Pan Arcane? Fine. No reason to delete his posts. Just ignore him and go back to reading your Kristin Stewart/Robert Pattinson Twilight tabloids.

I'm done posting here for a few months. Enjoy the farce. You'll see me in the game if you ever get around to playing it.

T

Tycolby

There is nothing more to say than what has been said already. If we dont stand for our god giving rights here then there is no reason to stand at all.:gun:

And I believe we all have the right to free speach.

M

MuseDeDannan

What with all the “Breaking News” posts? None of these people are shard reporters.

Don’t get me wrong it’s great that people are excited about new lands, starting a player town or whatever else but it’s not really ‘breaking news’.

I mean I don’t post every time I build a new house, go on a group hunt, stock a vendor, etc as ‘breaking news’.

Shouldn’t ‘News’ reports come from an actual shard reporter? Maybe the problem is we don’t have a reporter anymore, I don’t know.

It just seems every other post the past week is ‘breaking news’, which really don’t seem like ‘breaking news’ to me. :confused:

I would like to note, Tek, that I only posted "Breaking News" posts as a means of flaunting to the narcissist formerly known as Pan, the fact that the little details of his life aren't really all that "Breaking". :thumbsup: