• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Breaking News] Kingdom Under Fire: The Hand of Retribution.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kingdom Under Fire: The Hand of Retribution.

Tonight the Defenders of Britannia - and the gathered representatives of the Empress of Zento and the Elven Isles of Zanthes - met in Council.

Their purpose? To declare War on the Shadow.

Amongst their number was Darius - Elven Highlord of the Heartwood - in whose wisdom the Council had been called. James of the Mage Tower who bore word from the People of Ter Mur. Lord Yalp - Managarm of the Covenant - representing the Empress. Defender Aria McCullough of Vesper. Elevere and Glinmiali Zanthes of the Elven Isles. And Guardswoman Leithia.

Those who answered the summons were driven by a single purpose - Retribution - but were at a loss where to channel their collective furor. Britannia - having just recovered from the War against the Shadowlords - had long been on the verge of collapse. As grim looks were exchanged back and fourth that doom loomed ever more near.

Yalp stood and expressed his peoples concern over the lack of leadership in the absence of the Queen. James called for the Sword of Dawn to be found.

Elevere - Queen of Clan Zanthes - turned to the brooding figure who stood at the edge of the torchlight. "Have you nothing to say ... Nicholas?"

"I do." The man removed his hood. "I have many things to say."

The Fallen Paladin - who had for months fought on the side of the Bane Chosen and had stood in opposition to the Defenders - revealed that it had been a deception. He revealed with rage in his eyes the Dark Portal and the Legions of Demons that had appeared in his homeland during the War of Mondain. Of those he had lost during the Fall of Magincia. His own personal Quest for Retribution.

But that deception had failed to produce Ors. Had failed to prevent the murder of an innocent woman. And for that he wanted blood.

Nicholas called for Captain Jenkins to be named Lord General of Britannia. That in the absence of the Queen he wield authority derived from the People.

He then called for a Union. For the Kingdoms of Sosaria - Britannia, Dawn, Ter Mur, Zento, the Elven Kingdoms, and Latinum (Hearthfire and Luna) - to unite under a Single Banner. To form a Grand Alliance not seen since the foundation of Britannia.

That which was discussed is listed below.

• That the Kingdoms of Sosaria form a Grand Alliance. The Alliance would be united in their Faith in Virtue and the Light.
  • That Captain Jenkins be declared the Commanding General of the Britannian Forces and the Grand Alliance. In the absence of the Queen he derives his Power from the Mandate of the People.
  • That the Sword of Queen Dawn must be recovered. It is the Scepter. It is the Icon around which the Britannians will Unite. Their Standard.
  • That Dar, Frances, Aria, Davon, and the Defenders continue the Crusade against the Bane Chosen.
  • That the Cities must be retaken.
  • That the Defenders discover the means through which the Bells of Courage can be restored and consecrated.
  • That the Dark Portal must be sealed. That it be the sole purpose of the Court Thaumaturgists.
  • That the Oracles and Far Seers - Nell and Ilmatar - should be sought out and consulted.
  • That Tiamat must be restored to her True Form to help combat the Bane Chosen.

Darius and Elevere departed the High Council Chamber with fierce determination in their eyes. Tonight the Bane Chosen would pay a double price for the pain they had caused.

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sosarians,

Throughout the long History of Sosaria, many Dark Forces and Creatures of Evil have plotted against and plagued the Lands. Mondain, Minax, Exodus, to name but a few. Shadowlords and now these Forces behind the bane, Virtuebane, Murdock, and perhaps others.

United under Lord British, and later the Royal Council, these dangers were faced and defeated. However, the Reign of Queen Dawn was brief, cut short long before its due season. The Realm finds itself Leaderless for one of the few times in its long history.

Often such disorganization is the designed Ally of the very Dark and Evil forces and creatures seeking the downfall and subjugation of the People. This may in fact be the Darkest Day in Sosaria's history. The face of its Enemy remains hidden, though Virtuebane may in fact be that Enemy's general, and suddenly Sosaria is without its Leader.

The People must move quickly and Unite their Forces, lest divided, they Fall.

Let the Call go forth to all those willing and able to Unite and Defend the Realm. Monarch's, Emperor's and Empresses, Mayors, Clans, and Councils, Hasten to Unite! ...Defend ...or Fall! What of the Mage Tower and other Houses and Mage Guilds? What of the Knights and Paladins? Tamers, Rangers, where art thou now in Sosaria's Darkest Hour?

Come Forth and be Heard, Let Evil feel thy Sting, or Forever brand Thyselves ...Cowards and Knaves!

An Sos

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Baja can appoint whoever they want as their leader. Seems like the posts are a bit of a farce, wielding little to no power, and ultimately becoming the latest in a long history of drama and assassination attempts.

It doesn't concern Cartel. We don't know what anyone would even want the position for. Are you lot too weak to rule yourselves with moderation and patience? Who on Baja is demanding an ornamental government position that doesn't actually do anything but paint large targets on their backs?

Because the next person put up in the spot is just going to be the next target. How utterly macabre and pointless.

Consider that the next person you fine guys and gals shove into the lofty position of King or Queen or even Administrator is the equivalent of signing their death sentence.

Huzzah.

OCC: I'm pretty disappointed that the storylines always seem to end up with someone dying. Is that the only way to get us to raise an eyebrow anymore? How about some damn stability for once or at least an ending that doesn't involve a competition to see who gets the most tragic death?

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First of all, strictly speaking in character, the word Baja does not exist. :p

In regards to monarchy, you don't need a king or a queen. Yet, even today, we have kings and queens in many nations. Britannia is loosely based on a time-period where monarchy was quite common. Modern democracy is not a well-known concept in Sosaria. Regardless of a political system, you always need a leader. But, maybe you are trying to subscribe to chaos.

In regards to death, there is not a single story in life that does not end with a death. Also, not all characters in the lore end up dying. There are many that just hang around seemingly forever or disappear in the sunset. Yet, we tend to generally remember those who die - more tragically, the better.

Z

Zanthes[EcZ]

OOC:
Interesting part (so to speak!) is that there is no clear line of succession here. There should have been a new King/Queen or steward right away, almost standing in the wings - as with most Monarchies. Even if they were not immediately crowned, there typically is a ruler to step right in. Of course that may hinder or thwart a future story line, we dunno that! Just a curiousity.
And how much longer do we have to defend these cities? And all without the hope of ever regaining the cities we have lost... seems rather one-sided to those of us fighting this war. And it is wearing us down.
(and from many others lips: Its getting OLD!)

IC:
Your points are well taken, Super Ken. But in a way, what happens does impact Cartel as well as everyone else, even if indirectly. You may not subscribe to the idea of a Queen or King, or even consider yourselves a part of the Kingdom they rule, but we are all part of the big picture in these lands - the cities, the people (characters) that live around them and use them, and we do not know what, if any, the impact of loosing the cities or even Britain itself would have. And what the loss of Queen Dawn may mean in the conflict.
So yes, we can choose to ignore the goings-on: the assassinations, the Bane invasions, rebuilding Magincia (eventually) and so on... but it was the kingdom, in its own way, that recognized you (Cartel-land) as an independent kingdom and the trappings that came along with it. Did it not? (I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember you getting recognized) And the Kingdom of Dawn and any of the other areas that are considered independent lands.
Sure, the Britannian Kingdom was not needed for this to occur, but the fact is, it was involved. Why be independent if there are no other kingdoms to be independent FROM? One requires the other.

We should, as best as we can, try to work together to defeat whatever it is that tries to invade and change our 'way of life' - unless of course you are on the side of what it is that is invading us. And lets hope the Britannians get a King or Queen that continues to put up a worthy fight until we do finally defeat Virtue Bane and what he stands for.
Or we can just wait and see what happens and go about our daily 'lives' in the meantime and hope that whatever happens is 'good'.

There is always that choice. Its the ability to choose that gives one the power, not the choice itself.

Elevere Zanthes
Queen, Elf Clan Zanthes

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I appreciate the comments, Queen Zanthes, and you certainly raise some fine points. You're absolutely spot-on about Queen Dawn "recognizing" Cartel as an independent kingdom; from our point of view, however, we have always ruled over ourselves and needed no official sanction from anyone. I fear you may have misunderstood my comments to mean that I felt we should just sit back and do nothing and watch over our own; nothing could be farther from my intention.

I suppose my comments may seem rude to those of you who did loyally respect the rule of Queen Dawn. In truth, I am very disappointed to see that Queen Dawn has retired from this life. My comments may seem to be counter-productive or designed to foster "chaos", but my personal thoughts are that this seeming rush to designate a new leader is what breeds conflict and handicaps the Baja populace from being strong.

I, for one, would much rather see a more self reliant populace, perhaps even to the point where all the governments and various factions of Baja banded together their strength to protect and serve the people. It is fine and perhaps even fun to have a royal King or Queen to cheer for but their power in these lands have been weak, and they usually become targets for evil themselves.

I would not go so far as to suggest that a new monarch is not installed nor would I be foolish to prescribe to a democratic nation (of which my own personal opinion I shall keep to myself) but the installation of a new Monarch will be the same story as before unless the people become strong enough to rely on themselves. I personally do not wish to see another life dashed away in what I view as a pointless exercise in false drama creation. Has human life become so trivial?

In our hour of need, we should be the ones who can offer support to a Monarch, rather than relying on them to save us. It would be a shame to hastily expect a new Monarch only for whoever it is to befall the same fate.

I do not wish to even hint that Cartel will pledge to defeat the Bane, but I offer this example: When Dar's beloved city of Trinsic was invaded, Cartel showed up to help him out of respect to him. I feel that folks making bonds with each other and protecting each other in their pursuits is a far more valuable exercise and one that I hope will continue to foster on Baja rather than hoping the next King or Queen will do the dirty work for us, and in turn, becoming the next target for the next predictable "tragic death" storyline.

Z

Zanthes[EcZ]

Greetings again...

I in no way meant to insinuate that you were sitting back and doing nothing, but what you said (or how I read it...) gave me the impression that 'It doesn't concern Cartel' went further then just the selection of, or if they even had a Monarch in Britain. Apologies!
It would be nice to see us, however, as it IS an hour of need, band together, even loosely, to defeat the town invasions when they occur. Does not need to be an all out onslaught on the town, or even hours and hours of fighting. If we all did our part and went there for awhile in small groups, killed as many of the invaders as we can stomach to and then go about our business - the battle would be won easily each time. Not much time is involved, and most of us can handle the invaders with little effort given the experience of the fighters.

Give it some thought! It is OUR home: Dawn, Cartel, SI, EcZ, ToT, UTB and whatever other guild designation or town we wish to include, together we can easily win the day and let the new ruler of Britain perhaps start with a peaceful land.
[OOC] Assuming the storyline even lets us do so!

Elevere Zanthes
Queen, Elf Clan Zanthes

A

Aria McCullough

I have been silent about a concern I have as I am young and 'tis not my place
to question the Elders, so I hope they will indulge me this. I am concerned
about this talk of "retaliation". My grandfather that raised me taught me to
hold true to the virtues at all times, no matter the circumstances. I fear that if
we abandon Justice for vengeance we risk becoming the Bane in our own right.
If we hold true to Justice and show Compassion to the Bane misguided, we may
well hinder their recruitment.

I thank thee for considering this thought.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"You speak of Justice," came a voice from behind her. "Of Compassion?"

Malthonion emerged from the torchlit shadows of the Throne Room and came to stand near Aria. "You might be right," the Elven Blademaster mused aloud, turning his eyes up towards the Proclamation. "In a perfect world, we the Britannians would hold fast to our Convictions - to our Principles - and turn the Demon from this world with our collective faith in the Light."

His thoughts were drawn to the Barrier of Protection laid over Britannia. He thought to how it had been formed. To draw its power from Virtue. From the Convictions and Faith of the People. If the Britannians ever faltered, he thought to himself, if the people lost faith in Virtue - and the Light - there would be nothing to prevent the Shadow from entering this World. Nothing to prevent men from turning their blades upon one another. The thought sent an unfamiliar human chill up his spine.

"But men need Vengeance," he continued at last. "Even Virtuous Men. It is in their Nature. Thousands upon thousands fought at the side of Dawn against Blackthorne, and countless more bled with her against the Shadow." Malthonion paused a moment to allow the words to sink in. "And now the Banner that united them is Gone. Forever."

"If there is no outlet for their rage ... no place to channel that tempest, these men will again turn upon one another.

The Elven Blademaster turned to leave. "Ours is a nation birthed in Violence," he spoke aloud. He wanted all wrapped in shadow to hear him. "And our currency is Hate."

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Sosarians,

"VirtueBane!" The very name is an Abomination. However, it is also Revelatory. Lord British found a World wracked by Chaos, Upheaval, and Change. Competing Forces seeking very different Ends. Our Absent King Pledged Himself to Uniting a vast Realm under One Banner ...Britannia! Coalesced from Ancient Tomes of Truth, from Wisdom handed down from parent to child, from Generation to Generation, and these Virtues didst Lord British Uphold before the People.

The People, for the greater part at least, Embrace these Virtues. Truth, Love, and Courage; and from these Humility, Valor, Justice, Honor, Compassion, Sacrifice, Honesty, and Spirituality. The People teach them to their Children, build Shrines to Honor and Memorialize them.

Yet, even as Lord British faced ...and Defeated those Seeking only Power and Subjugation of others, that struggle continues and has been Chronicled from Time Eternal to this present day. VirtueBane is but the latest face of Forces seeking to undo the work and Legacy of Lord British, forces embracing very different values and seeking very differnet Ends then did Lord British.

Dawn the Valiant, Warrior and Defender of these Virtues stood with and beside Lord British in Defeating past challengers to Virtue and Order. Having served Lord British in securing our Realm, Dawn retired to a simpler life with her Beloved Ors. Only renewed danger brought upon the People by others eschewing Virtue and Order brought Lady Dawn to again take up Arms in Rallying the People. Crowned Queen, Her Majesty continued rooting out these evil forces seeking to unleash Despair upon the People.

Her untimely and Tragic death has greatly shaken the People. Some call for Retribution, others for Revenge or Vengence, but Most call for Justice! Young Aria, a meer child as many races reckon Time, was taught well and reminds us in our times of Greatest Challenge, we must be Guided by the Virtues. For tis these which bind and unite Us, and tis these which our Adversary Hates and Fears most.

Let us Harken to those Timeless Words of Govannon Mac Lyr, "May Truth Be My Sword, Courage My Shield, and Love Guide Them Both," and Let Us Harken Also to Queen Dawn's Final recourse and Appeal ...To Humility.

An SoS