• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Breaking a defense

Uncle Talbo

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail again all factioneers. Since I have only just started factions ( and forums) I have a lot of problems learning. I have been on in the factions now for a week and some change, soley because the guild I had joined became faction while I was away and I figured to give it a shot. Now then, with that being said Im seeing a large advantage to one faction base over the others in terms of defense. True that SL can trap ( at least I think so) the hallway underground and hold very well with a lot of seperate choke points, and TB has two gates which should be able to field without too much trouble, I have noticed that the minax base is increadible as for defending with minimum personel. for starters the entire way in is a choke point you could cast a field anywhere in the passage that covers from one side to the next, in addition to this there is a place where it is only one space across that a person could stand off an army there as long as he is properly healed from mages and heallers in the rear, and the gate to the base can have up 6 field spells thrown on it from a safe distance. Now in the devs wisdom they have it to where no one can teleport while in a base. So I guess my question is what am I to do? I see a faction grab the sigs that I have just stolen and place them in their base and cast fields for 4 hours how should I fight this with a warrior? does anyone know if a dispell field will work? and what is the best way to communicate with other members of the faction? I have a char that isnt in a guild but is in faction and he cant talk to anyone over distance. I have noticed another faction (that hands me my A**on a regular bases) seem to coodinate attacks flawlessly.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail again all factioneers. Since I have only just started factions ( and forums) I have a lot of problems learning. I have been on in the factions now for a week and some change, soley because the guild I had joined became faction while I was away and I figured to give it a shot. Now then, with that being said Im seeing a large advantage to one faction base over the others in terms of defense. True that SL can trap ( at least I think so) the hallway underground and hold very well with a lot of seperate choke points, and TB has two gates which should be able to field without too much trouble, I have noticed that the minax base is increadible as for defending with minimum personel. for starters the entire way in is a choke point you could cast a field anywhere in the passage that covers from one side to the next, in addition to this there is a place where it is only one space across that a person could stand off an army there as long as he is properly healed from mages and heallers in the rear, and the gate to the base can have up 6 field spells thrown on it from a safe distance. Now in the devs wisdom they have it to where no one can teleport while in a base. So I guess my question is what am I to do? I see a faction grab the sigs that I have just stolen and place them in their base and cast fields for 4 hours how should I fight this with a warrior? does anyone know if a dispell field will work? and what is the best way to communicate with other members of the faction? I have a char that isnt in a guild but is in faction and he cant talk to anyone over distance. I have noticed another faction (that hands me my A**on a regular bases) seem to coodinate attacks flawlessly.
No offense but as a warrior your pretty much useless in raiding and defending unless both sides have nothing but warriors. My suggestion would be to make a mage and dispel field. :) You are right Minax base got jacked up since you cannot teleport in the path anymore. I think all bases should allow you to teleport everywhere inside of them but the Devs don't play the factions so they wouldn't know what any of that stuff is like. So definitely either make a mage, or get a mage in your guild to keep dispelling fields..

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and what is the best way to communicate with other members of the faction? I have a char that isnt in a guild but is in faction and he cant talk to anyone over distance. I have noticed another faction (that hands me my A**on a regular bases) seem to coodinate attacks flawlessly.
See if you can join the guild that your faction mates are in, or at least form an alliance with them and a guild you set up. Then you can at least use guild or alliance chat in-game. Also find out if the folks in the same faction with you are using Teamspeak or Ventrillo to talk to each other. If yes, you'll want to invest in a headset with a microphone, but they're pretty cheap. You'll also have to download the appropriate program and (usually) be assigned a user name and password. A headset with a microphone usually costs about $15-$35, depending on where you buy and what you get. (Try Walmart, OfficeMax, Office Depot, Target, Amazon.) Try to get a headset that has a mic on/off switch on the cord, regardless of whether you plan to use TS or Vent in voice-activated or push-to-talk mode. Last time I had to replace my worn-out set I picked up a cheapie HP headset at Walmart that looked like it had an off/off switch on the cord and it turned out the control on the cord was only good for adjusting volume. Argh. I've become partial to Plantronics headsets...no more cheapo HP headsets. The Audio 350 set is what I've had twice now. $20.99 on Amazon. ) Don't bother with a stand microphone.

Your faction mates may or may not also be linking up to a hosted version of UO AutoMap to better coordinate raids or defense, etc. If you don't know these folks, I'd be a bit hesitant on jumping into that, though, depending on who is hosting AutoMap. You may also run into problems finding a copy of the AutoMap setup file to download, if you don't already have it installed.

Lady Arwen

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, my guild is in faction and we have made a special faction guild for it, we also use ventrilo and uo auto map. So we always know where everyone is and we can call out who we are attacking. It helps ALOT.